Polian out at Nevada

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Polian out at Nevada

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 am

I actually kind of agree with both of you, so I really must be crazy! :-k I actually think Jamie Marshall, although he had a bad run to finish here, was a capable enough coordinator in a complimentary football situation, where the offense could control the clock a bit, and stay on the field. He also had the benefit of great players on defense the first half of his tenure here, which makes any coordinator look better than they maybe are. As far as Cramsey goes, his offense, on its own, is pretty impressive, however it does let the defense get exposed pretty easily (not just here, look at Oregon). I was alll in favor of it when we hired him, and loved the huge totals, but the more I look around the country, the more there's a trend back to complimentary football, playing defense, field position, etc., and I think that's ultimately a better recipe for success. Cramsey himself is probably why I agree with LTCF. He's a caustic jackass, IMO, and didn't represent his team well. Screaming at the opposing sideline during a game, out on the field, more than once, is just ridiculous. I don't care if it does fire some guys up, it just made our team look bad I thought. Plus, the rift between different sides of the ball on the last 2 teams did NOT occur in a vacuum, and I think Cramsey's comments after Ash was let go indicated how he felt about his offense and his stature on the team. I want nothing to do with that guy here, ever.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:20 am

Cramsey was poison for team unity

I am betting that in kindergarten he didn't get any stars beside "plays well with others"

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:03 pm

I don't know Cramsey at all, but I would take him back if it were a realistic option. I think Cramsey is a very solid coordinator, even with his deficiencies. That said, I don't see how it would be an option. He was not hired as the HC and would have to work for the guy that beat him out for the job he wanted and presumably felt he deserved... I don't think that would be a good working formula for anyone involved.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:34 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Like Chip Kelly? #-o :lol:
There's a lot of theorizing about this from the sports media around here about that. I could see it happening. Knight would make Kelly super rich, and Kelly could make Oregon back into what it once was ... before the days where their recruiting and player development went into the toilet.

Kelly may well just be one of those guys that is a great college coach and not so great in the NFL ... there really are separate skill sets for each.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
There's a lot of theorizing about this from the sports media around here about that. I could see it happening. Knight would make Kelly super rich, and Kelly could make Oregon back into what it once was ... before the days where their recruiting and player development went into the toilet.

Kelly may well just be one of those guys that is a great college coach and not so great in the NFL ... there really are separate skill sets for each.
Like Harbaugh?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

Like Harbaugh?
San Fran....where college coaches go in the NFL before they go back to college....Dennis Erikson.....Harbaugh.....Kelly....

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:31 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

Like Harbaugh?
Or Saban.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:10 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

Like Harbaugh?
Harbaugh was actually a good NFL coach. He took a 7-9 team to 3 straight NFC championship games and a Super Bowl before differences with management forced him out and back into the college ranks. He was a great coach while in the NFL. Just doesn't seem like he had much patience for a whiny owner.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 pm

wbtfg wrote:Ash/Cramsey reunite at uc Davis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/803413617861427201

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Hawks86 wrote:

Figures, I'm sure UCD pays a butt load more than the HS he's currently at, but having Ash alone back in the BSC would have been interesting to say the least.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Hawkins was set to be the OC at FIU. Might be good timing for Cramsey.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Hawkins was set to be the OC at FIU. Might be good timing for Cramsey.
Isn't that where he was let go from, prior to going to Bozeman?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:29 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Hawkins was set to be the OC at FIU. Might be good timing for Cramsey.
Isn't that where he was let go from, prior to going to Bozeman?
Sure. Everybody knows that. :oops: :oops:

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:08 pm

As first reported by ESPN, UC Davis has hired Dan Hawkins to coach his alma mater
http://skylinesportsmt.com/uc-davis-hir ... ball-coach

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:23 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Figures, I'm sure UCD pays a butt load more than the HS he's currently at, but having Ash alone back in the BSC would have been interesting to say the least.
Good hire for Davis, not good for the rest of the BSC. I mentioned in another thread I think Chip Kelly or PJ Fleck will end up at Oregon.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Pretty sure Hawkins applied at MSU and didn't even get an interview.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:03 pm

wbtfg wrote:Pretty sure Hawkins applied at MSU and didn't even get an interview.

Yep

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I don't think Ash would make the same mistake twice
Are you kidding? He made the same mistake 8 years in a row at MSU, every time he kept Marshall on for another year. I'm half kidding when I say that, but I actually do believe that one of his biggest faults was not learning from some of the mistakes he made during his tenure in Bozeman.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:03 am

John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I don't think Ash would make the same mistake twice
Are you kidding? He made the same mistake 8 years in a row at MSU, every time he kept Marshall on for another year. Ash had some fine qualities,but I don't think you can say learning from his mistakes was one of them. In fact his biggest fault may have been his stubbornness, and being unwilling to make changes, when changes were clearly necessary.
Or maybe the changes that, in reality, needed changed were exactly the opposite of what the public perceived.

Remember... Marshall's defense was actually pretty darn good until Cramsey showed up.

Once Ash gave Cramsey full control of the offense, it was over. There was no possible way to fire Cramsey whose offense was scoring about 40 ppg. How do you fire a guy who, on stats alone, is one of the best in the nation? Even though he's responsible for the internal strife in the locker room and the detriment of the defense due to his offense causing the defense to play fatigued all the time.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 am

I would personally like to see cramseys name expelled from the MSU lexicon. He is not a "great mind " he is a football coach. And I agree with an awful lot of the posters here that he wasn't very good at that. I know first hand he didn't call plays at UNH. Get him a job in Cheney if Baldwin moves along (but to UNR why would he?!) and we'd start winning an awful lot of EWU games!