Polian out at Nevada

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Polian out at Nevada

Post by tagleason » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:27 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Ash/Cramsey reunite at uc Davis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/803413617861427201
Figures, I'm sure UCD pays a butt load more than the HS he's currently at, but having Ash alone back in the BSC would have been interesting to say the least.
Good hire for Davis, not good for the rest of the BSC. I mentioned in another thread I think Chip Kelly or PJ Fleck will end up at Oregon.
Skip Kelly was asked and chuckled and said flatly:No

AKCat1

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:29 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I don't think Ash would make the same mistake twice
Are you kidding? He made the same mistake 8 years in a row at MSU, every time he kept Marshall on for another year. Ash had some fine qualities,but I don't think you can say learning from his mistakes was one of them. In fact his biggest fault may have been his stubbornness, and being unwilling to make changes, when changes were clearly necessary.
Or maybe the changes that, in reality, needed changed were exactly the opposite of what the public perceived.

Remember... Marshall's defense was actually pretty darn good until Cramsey showed up.

Once Ash gave Cramsey full control of the offense, it was over. There was no possible way to fire Cramsey whose offense was scoring about 40 ppg. How do you fire a guy who, on stats alone, is one of the best in the nation? Even though he's responsible for the internal strife in the locker room and the detriment of the defense due to his offense causing the defense to play fatigued all the time.
Marshall had one of the most basic unimaginative defenses in D1 football. He seemed to never leave his base regardless of the offensive formation.

His defense was very good when he had potential Buck winners and future NFL players on the D line, in 2009, 2011-2012.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:38 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

Are you kidding? He made the same mistake 8 years in a row at MSU, every time he kept Marshall on for another year. Ash had some fine qualities,but I don't think you can say learning from his mistakes was one of them. In fact his biggest fault may have been his stubbornness, and being unwilling to make changes, when changes were clearly necessary.
Or maybe the changes that, in reality, needed changed were exactly the opposite of what the public perceived.

Remember... Marshall's defense was actually pretty darn good until Cramsey showed up.

Once Ash gave Cramsey full control of the offense, it was over. There was no possible way to fire Cramsey whose offense was scoring about 40 ppg. How do you fire a guy who, on stats alone, is one of the best in the nation? Even though he's responsible for the internal strife in the locker room and the detriment of the defense due to his offense causing the defense to play fatigued all the time.
Or could it be the failure of the defense to hold the opposing offense to three plays and get off the field was the reason they got tired. Kinda like we did in Missoula last week. Offense does not stop the defense from getting off the field.

Last couple of years the defense just didn't produce. Probably the result of coaching and talent. Don't know if the bend and bend and bend some more was Jamie's or Ashes baby. Either way coach Ash was responsible for all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:46 am

One thing to remember about hurry up, spread, tempo offenses is that they require depth (especially at the skill positions...WR, RB) in order to properly run them. You want you're WRs fresh, since they're running sprints every play. The goal is to tire out the defense with fresh guys on offense.

The problem is then that you have to give more scholarships to guys on offense, which then means that you get fewer scholarship guys on defense. Add to this that you have tired guys on defense, and not great depth to give the defense a break, without significant talent dropoff.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 am

77matcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

Or could it be the failure of the defense to hold the opposing offense to three plays and get off the field was the reason they got tired. Kinda like we did in Missoula last week. Offense does not stop the defense from getting off the field.

Last couple of years the defense just didn't produce. Probably the result of coaching and talent. Don't know if the bend and bend and bend some more was Jamie's or Ashes baby. Either way coach Ash was responsible for all of the above.

Right. The Bobcat defenses the last 2 years under Marshall were every bit as bad in the 1st quarter as they were in the 4th quarter. So the argument that the bad defense was Cramsey's fault for making them tired just doesn't hold any water.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 am

tagleason wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/803413617861427201
Figures, I'm sure UCD pays a butt load more than the HS he's currently at, but having Ash alone back in the BSC would have been interesting to say the least.
Good hire for Davis, not good for the rest of the BSC. I mentioned in another thread I think Chip Kelly or PJ Fleck will end up at Oregon.
Skip Kelly was asked and chuckled and said flatly:No
Yeah and Nick Saban is a dolphin for life...

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:26 pm

91catAlum wrote:
77matcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

Right. The Bobcat defenses the last 2 years under Marshall were every bit as bad in the 1st quarter as they were in the 4th quarter. So the argument that the bad defense was Cramsey's fault for making them tired just doesn't hold any water.
I remember people complaining that the offense let us down when Portland state scored touchdowns on their first 8 possessions last year - 8. Our first drive was 11 plays and 3:46, had a couple of 3 & outs, then another sustained drive ending in a TD, then the half ended. After the half our possessions went - KO returned for TD, 5 min drive for TD, and on PSU's ensuing possession they would hit 56 points.

Taking an honest look, you have to recognize that our offense was not responsible for the outcome of that game. I am not trying to smack talk the D last year, just trying to put it in perspective. There is no team in the league who wouldn't have wanted to score "too fast" like we did.

It was just another example of criticism being calibrated to expectations.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Was at the PSU game last year. Can't disagree with you. I do think however that our offense was over hyped. If it was that good it would score when it need to.

My point is it is semi silly to state the offensive scheme causes the defense to be poor or tired. Defenses poor performance causes them to stay on the field and be tired.

Can we blame great defenses that always are on the field for only 3 plays the reason the offense is tired???

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:43 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
77matcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
John K wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I remember people complaining that the offense let us down when Portland state scored touchdowns on their first 8 possessions last year - 8. Our first drive was 11 plays and 3:46, had a couple of 3 & outs, then another sustained drive ending in a TD, then the half ended. After the half our possessions went - KO returned for TD, 5 min drive for TD, and on PSU's ensuing possession they would hit 56 points.

Taking an honest look, you have to recognize that our offense was not responsible for the outcome of that game. I am not trying to smack talk the D last year, just trying to put it in perspective. There is no team in the league who wouldn't have wanted to score "too fast" like we did.

It was just another example of criticism being calibrated to expectations.
Problem this year at unr. I think they gave up almost 400 ypg rushing...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.