Do we need to bring in a drop down or Juco QB?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Do we need to bring in a drop down or Juco QB?

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:03 pm

onceacat wrote:
All good points. Also, I'm not sure that you want to distract the QB coach/Offensive Co-ordinator with breaking a brand new QB into the system. Its one thing to ease your highly touted freshman through a redshirt year, its another to teach your system to a transfer, then throw the doors wide open to a QB competition. Especially when you have 5 QBs on the roster already. Are you really going to take up another scholarship with QB #6? Messingham needs to get this offense clicking: its just starting to develop an identity, and its hard to imagine throwing a transfer QB into that situation.

If Bruggman were to ask for a release, that might change things a little bit, but there's no way we can keep 6 QBs on the roster.
We will have 4 QB's for spring ball. 2 on scholarship. Rovig will make 3 in the fall.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
All good points. Also, I'm not sure that you want to distract the QB coach/Offensive Co-ordinator with breaking a brand new QB into the system. Its one thing to ease your highly touted freshman through a redshirt year, its another to teach your system to a transfer, then throw the doors wide open to a QB competition. Especially when you have 5 QBs on the roster already. Are you really going to take up another scholarship with QB #6? Messingham needs to get this offense clicking: its just starting to develop an identity, and its hard to imagine throwing a transfer QB into that situation.

If Bruggman were to ask for a release, that might change things a little bit, but there's no way we can keep 6 QBs on the roster.
We will have 4 QB's for spring ball. 2 on scholarship. Rovig will make 3 in the fall.
I presume Folsom is committed to Safety now. That still leaves 5 on the roster with Rovig. So do we need a 6th for next season? I would say no.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:27 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:I saw on Twitter that we offered another high school QB. I want to say he was from Minnesota. Does anyone have anymore info on this? Full disclosure, I saw that tweet about a month ago, so I don't know how reliable it is to even mention it at this point. I can't remember the kids name.
Recruiting for another position maybe? Prukop was a HS safety as well.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:29 pm

exppi wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

I presume Folsom is committed to Safety now. That still leaves 5 on the roster with Rovig. So do we need a 6th for next season? I would say no.
I don't think 4 QB's on scholarship would be crazy.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:44 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:I saw on Twitter that we offered another high school QB. I want to say he was from Minnesota. Does anyone have anymore info on this? Full disclosure, I saw that tweet about a month ago, so I don't know how reliable it is to even mention it at this point. I can't remember the kids name.
Since Tucker Rovig committed, I don't know if the offer is still the same. But here is the tweet. It is Noah Sanders out of Apple Valley, Minnesota. 6'3", 205 lbs. with a good arm and a 2-star ranking from 247Sports.
https://twitter.com/noah_sanders22/status/729828393491914752

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Unless Rovig blows everyone away the 1st 3 weeks of camp I would have to think Choate would redshirt him. Not saying he won't be great but we have a hell of a lot better idea what our QB situation is going into this off-season than we did last year. And even if Murray only improves a small amount in the passing game we know exactly how to use him and can be successful doing it.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:51 pm

I wonder if one of the RS kids step up enough that Murray could redshirt his sophomore season to improve on his passing and gain some strength?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Do we need to bring in a drop down or Juco QB?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Since Tucker Rovig committed, I don't know if the offer is still the same. But here is the tweet. It is Noah Sanders out of Apple Valley, Minnesota. 6'3", 205 lbs. with a good arm and a 2-star ranking from 247Sports.
Other Twitter posts show he has been offered by Valpo and visited NDSU from a picture with five rings on his hand -- not very good at Twitter but think I read it right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Other Twitter posts show he has been offered by Valpo and visited NDSU from a picture with five rings on his hand -- not very good at Twitter but think I read it right.
Another thing to remember is that Rovig verballed to us on Twitter on June 25. Don't really know what we are offering other QB's now. Still could be after another full-ride kid or a transfer. Competition and depth is huge at QB.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Cat Pride wrote:I wonder if one of the RS kids step up enough that Murray could redshirt his sophomore season to improve on his passing and gain some strength?
Uh..... no. While it would be really cool to have him lead this team for four more hears, youu play the best players, the guys that give you the best chance to win now. That's why coaches pulled Murray's red shirt when he was still 17 years old.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Cat Pride wrote:I wonder if one of the RS kids step up enough that Murray could redshirt his sophomore season to improve on his passing and gain some strength?
Uh..... no. While it would be really cool to have him lead this team for four more hears, youu play the best players, the guys that give you the best chance to win now. That's why coaches pulled Murray's red shirt when he was still 17 years old.
^Yep

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:01 pm

wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
^Yep
I agree. No exceptions at any position for '17.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:09 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
yeah, that was the one I was thinking of. Thanks for finding it Vim

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:59 pm

Common Cat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
exppi wrote:
Common Cat wrote:I think it's going to be either or. I imagine a guy with like two years of eligibility left. The only thing that gives me pause is what Choate said in the post game presser about teams having a hard time stopping Murray when his passing develops. Makes me think he wants to develop Murray as our guy. IMO, I'm not sold on Murray being our #1 starting next year. Murray needs to find a passing game in order to be an effective Big Sky qb.
If he is talking to DM, he just might find that passing game. :twisted:
Man o man would that be awesome! BTW we need to get DMac on the staff.
Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1. I think he'd be a great recruiter.

2. I think he would be a fine coach for our quarterbacks. He would relieve Messingham of that duty.

3. He is an all time great - he would bring his greatness and knowledge back to MSU
Nothing against Denarius, but if we're going to bring someone back, why not Travis Lulay. He might not be completely done in the CFL, but his career is definitely winding down.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:17 pm

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
exppi wrote:
Common Cat wrote:I think it's going to be either or. I imagine a guy with like two years of eligibility left. The only thing that gives me pause is what Choate said in the post game presser about teams having a hard time stopping Murray when his passing develops. Makes me think he wants to develop Murray as our guy. IMO, I'm not sold on Murray being our #1 starting next year. Murray needs to find a passing game in order to be an effective Big Sky qb.
If he is talking to DM, he just might find that passing game. :twisted:
Man o man would that be awesome! BTW we need to get DMac on the staff.
Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1. I think he'd be a great recruiter.

2. I think he would be a fine coach for our quarterbacks. He would relieve Messingham of that duty.

3. He is an all time great - he would bring his greatness and knowledge back to MSU
Nothing against Denarius, but if we're going to bring someone back, why not Travis Lulay. He might not be completely done in the CFL, but his career is definitely winding down.
DeNarius is currently a graduate assistant football coach in NC and appears to be connected on social media to many members of the current Cat staff. He is also going to be looking for a coaching job come spring.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:28 pm

https://twitter.com/valens10101/status/804121277707403264 Win the Cat-Griz game and you become a local celebrity with the kids...keep it up Chris.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/valens10101/status/804121277707403264 Win the Cat-Griz game and you become a local celebrity with the kids...keep it up Chris.
That rocks. Apparently he's listening to Bobcat Nation and working on his passing game during the off season. Might want to work with some taller receivers though. :mrgreen:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:29 pm

catatac wrote:That rocks. Apparently he's listening to Bobcat Nation and working on his passing game during the off season. Might want to work with some taller receivers though. :mrgreen:
If he can hit those tiny targets hitting Sullivan and Hebert will be a piece of cake.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 pm

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/valens10101/status/804121277707403264 Win the Cat-Griz game and you become a local celebrity with the kids...keep it up Chris.
Let's hope it didn't go like this: