Do we need to bring in a drop down or Juco QB?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Do we need to bring in a drop down or Juco QB?

Post by Common Cat » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:29 pm

lutecat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
exppi wrote:
Common Cat wrote:I think it's going to be either or. I imagine a guy with like two years of eligibility left. The only thing that gives me pause is what Choate said in the post game presser about teams having a hard time stopping Murray when his passing develops. Makes me think he wants to develop Murray as our guy. IMO, I'm not sold on Murray being our #1 starting next year. Murray needs to find a passing game in order to be an effective Big Sky qb.
If he is talking to DM, he just might find that passing game. :twisted:
Man o man would that be awesome! BTW we need to get DMac on the staff.
Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1. I think he'd be a great recruiter.

2. I think he would be a fine coach for our quarterbacks. He would relieve Messingham of that duty.

3. He is an all time great - he would bring his greatness and knowledge back to MSU

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Tweet was deleted.
Last edited by exppi on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 pm

It doesn't work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:48 pm

exppi wrote:Tweet was deleted.
Details?

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:23 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Details?
Murray seemed ready to go to begin off season training/development.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 am

My take away is yes Murray does need to develop his passing game, and I do believe that will come. With that said, he should be the starting QB but we will see what happens in the offseason. I see Murray putting in the work in the weight room and working on his passing. If that comes along, I would tend to agree with Coach Choate that he will be difficult to stop. He showed he can learn and he didn't turn it over at all in the last two games and in those two games he diced the defense with his running ability. I would like to see Murray develop into the starter I believe he can be.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:52 am

wbtfg wrote:I don't think we let bruggman go unless he asks for a release. We brought him in, it's his 4th school. Ethically I think we keep him on the team because it's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more.

Has there ever been any conversations on moving Murray to RB if we did get a more conventional QB? Murray is a play make with his feet, but not his arm at this point. I understand the developing argument but what there is always the what ifs.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 pm

I don't really think that because Murray runs well from the QB position it means that he'll run well from the RB position. He's 6-4, 190, which aren't the dimensions of a running back.

I also don't think that just because he's fast it means he'd be a good WR. He ran a route and was the primary receiver on the Kassis to Sutton TD pass vs. UC Davis and didn't come close to looking the part (few QBs do).

He had a QB rating of 110.8. He hit on just 45% of his passes and threw 8 INTs to just 6 TDs, but averaged 7.4 yards per completion (and that don't include a pair of flat drops vs. SAC that would've been TDs. If you add those in, his QBR goes to 123.6). His QBR was better than Bruggman's 97.2. Could it be that our passing game, including pass protection, route running and catching, was also sub-par and led to these low numbers by both QBs? Travis Lulay had much better numbers, including a QBR of 131.7, but he also had Ryan Johnson at RB, and I assume a better OL considering how well Johnson ran. He also had a staff that had been in place for two years prior to his arrival. His WRs were Junior Adams, Scott Turnquist, Pat Carahasen, Aaron Hill, and Corey Smith.

I just don't think we've seen the QB Murray is going to become.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm

91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I don't think we let bruggman go unless he asks for a release. We brought him in, it's his 4th school. Ethically I think we keep him on the team because it's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, Bruggman should stay, assuming he wants to. And with another year of coaching and getting better, there's no reason he can't be a solid #2 QB.
Agree 100%.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

iaafan wrote:I just don't think we've seen the QB Murray is going to become.
Bingo. I said this earlier in the year. I imagine Murray is very similar to how Prukop would have been had he played as a true freshman. Athletic as heck, but raw. Prukop was on year number 3 in the system before he ever saw the field, and it was well documented about his time at Whitfield's camp to make him a capable passer. Murray's motion is fine. His arm strength is fine. You could just see he had trouble with what defenses were throwing at him and the game was moving really, really fast. It will slow down for him. He will start to read the defenses and make it through his progressions. He's going to be a very good QB.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

iaafan wrote:I don't really think that because Murray runs well from the QB position it means that he'll run well from the RB position. He's 6-4, 190, which aren't the dimensions of a running back.

I also don't think that just because he's fast it means he'd be a good WR. He ran a route and was the primary receiver on the Kassis to Sutton TD pass vs. UC Davis and didn't come close to looking the part (few QBs do).

He had a QB rating of 110.8. He hit on just 45% of his passes and threw 8 INTs to just 6 TDs, but averaged 7.4 yards per completion (and that don't include a pair of flat drops vs. SAC that would've been TDs. If you add those in, his QBR goes to 123.6). His QBR was better than Bruggman's 97.2. Could it be that our passing game, including pass protection, route running and catching, was also sub-par and led to these low numbers by both QBs? Travis Lulay had much better numbers, including a QBR of 131.7, but he also had Ryan Johnson at RB, and I assume a better OL considering how well Johnson ran. He also had a staff that had been in place for two years prior to his arrival. His WRs were Junior Adams, Scott Turnquist, Pat Carahasen, Aaron Hill, and Corey Smith.

=D^ =D^ =D^ Nice Post!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:29 pm

iaafan wrote:I don't really think that because Murray runs well from the QB position it means that he'll run well from the RB position. He's 6-4, 190, which aren't the dimensions of a running back.

=D^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:15 pm

The player Murray is most reminiscent of physically is Randall Cunningham, who was also 6-4. Cunningham weighed about 215 in his NFL days, so Murray is a bit slighter at this stage, but both are lanky. I believe Murray is faster than Cunningham. Cunningham ran a 4.6 electronic 40 in high school. Murray ran an 11.7 100-meters as a 16-year-old junior back in April, 2015, which isn't horribly fast and he sure seems much faster than that judging by how he outran the Sac State secondary, but not bad for his age, which is usually a sophomore. Dalton Daum was running the 100 in under 11 seconds as a sophomore. Murray doesn't appear to have run track in 2016.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

exppi wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Details?

Yeah, that's what I read too. There was a guy that was a former assistant quarterback coach at USC that has a business developing quarterbacks in California that retweeted the comment. He mentioned something about working with Murray.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:05 pm

iaafan wrote:The player Murray is most reminiscent of physically is Randall Cunningham, who was also 6-4. Cunningham weighed about 215 in his NFL days, so Murray is a bit slighter at this stage, but both are lanky. I believe Murray is faster than Cunningham. Cunningham ran a 4.6 electronic 40 in high school. Murray ran an 11.7 100-meters as a 16-year-old junior back in April, 2015, which isn't horribly fast and he sure seems much faster than that judging by how he outran the Sac State secondary, but not bad for his age, which is usually a sophomore. Dalton Daum was running the 100 in under 11 seconds as a sophomore. Murray doesn't appear to have run track in 2016.

I thought the same thing when I first saw Murray run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwZZICUDWFo

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Watched New Mexico put a spanking on Wyoming this week-end - close to 600 yards rushing completing
I think 4 passes with the Diamond 3 back offense and couldn't help but imagining Chris at QB and the Cat's
doing that to an Quality opponent. Just saying I think it's possible.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Details?

Yeah, that's what I read too. There was a guy that was a former assistant quarterback coach at USC that has a business developing quarterbacks in California that retweeted the comment. He mentioned something about working with Murray.
I saw that Coach's comment after I posted as well. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I also see Cody Kempt is now running a QB school as well. Does MSU get a discount? :wink: Good for him. =D^

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 pm

I don't know if it's a matter of 'Do we'..... but rather 'could we'. We already have a drop down/JUCO transfer who is currently the #2 QB. If we brought in another QB with 2 years of eligibility I can't imagine Bruggman would stick around. I also doubt if we could get a quality transfer with the way Murray performed at the end of the season. After all why would an upperclassmen QB transfer to a school who just had a 17/18 year old become their #1 QB?

I think about Rovig who will be coming in as a Freshman and he will most likely redshirt next year (Murray's sophomore year), he'll be a RF during Murray's junior year, and a RSo Murray's senior year, which will leave him a legit shot at being a 2 year starter assuming Murray is 'the guy'. However a transfer coming in would most likely have no more than 2 years of eligibility and would have to be banking on beating out Murray.

It depends on what Coach Choate & Messingham think, but even if they would like to bring in another dropdown/transfer QB, I doubt if we could find one better than Bruggman to come here under the current circumstances. I think there are better schools for a quality QB to transfer to than MSU right now since we just had a 17/18 year old take over the starting job and ended the season on a pretty high note. One such school in need of a starting QB that comes to mind is that school to the west of us for instance......sorry for some reason their name escapes me. :?:

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:08 pm

I saw on Twitter that we offered another high school QB. I want to say he was from Minnesota. Does anyone have anymore info on this? Full disclosure, I saw that tweet about a month ago, so I don't know how reliable it is to even mention it at this point. I can't remember the kids name.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:47 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:I don't know if it's a matter of 'Do we'..... but rather 'could we'. We already have a drop down/JUCO transfer who is currently the #2 QB. If we brought in another QB with 2 years of eligibility I can't imagine Bruggman would stick around. I also doubt if we could get a quality transfer with the way Murray performed at the end of the season. After all why would an upperclassmen QB transfer to a school who just had a 17/18 year old become their #1 QB?

I think about Rovig who will be coming in as a Freshman and he will most likely redshirt next year (Murray's sophomore year), he'll be a RF during Murray's junior year, and a RSo Murray's senior year, which will leave him a legit shot at being a 2 year starter assuming Murray is 'the guy'. However a transfer coming in would most likely have no more than 2 years of eligibility and would have to be banking on beating out Murray.

It depends on what Coach Choate & Messingham think, but even if they would like to bring in another dropdown/transfer QB, I doubt if we could find one better than Bruggman to come here under the current circumstances. I think there are better schools for a quality QB to transfer to than MSU right now since we just had a 17/18 year old take over the starting job and ended the season on a pretty high note. One such school in need of a starting QB that comes to mind is that school to the west of us for instance......sorry for some reason their name escapes me. :?:
All good points. Also, I'm not sure that you want to distract the QB coach/Offensive Co-ordinator with breaking a brand new QB into the system. Its one thing to ease your highly touted freshman through a redshirt year, its another to teach your system to a transfer, then throw the doors wide open to a QB competition. Especially when you have 5 QBs on the roster already. Are you really going to take up another scholarship with QB #6? Messingham needs to get this offense clicking: its just starting to develop an identity, and its hard to imagine throwing a transfer QB into that situation.

If Bruggman were to ask for a release, that might change things a little bit, but there's no way we can keep 6 QBs on the roster.