Off season professional development.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Off season professional development.

Post by wbtfg » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:00 pm

I know every year Rob Ash's staff would go to another university (usually large fbs) to shadow and learn from that staff.

What programs should our coaches learn from this off season?

My thoughts:

Defense: Washington. Choate is trying to instill much of the culture from petersons staff at Boise and UW. It would be a friendly environment with Pete K

Offense: Louisville. Some strong similarities between Chris Murray and Lamar Jackson. Petrino kind of a dick, so not sure he'd be willing to help out a future foe of his brother Paul.

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season professional development.

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Kind of???

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Utah maybe for offense.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:11 pm

UW for both.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 pm

The point of professional development is to get a fresh perspective. He doesn't get a new perspective at UW. New ideas come from going to somewhere new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:57 pm

lutecat wrote:The point of professional development is to get a fresh perspective. He doesn't get a new perspective at UW. New ideas come from going to somewhere new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
You don't think Messingham would learn anything new from the UW offensive staff?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Another possible option I thought of, Florida.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Ohio State

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Utah for both sides of the ball. If they had a QB the last 2 years they would have been PAC 12 champs and in the playoff. Their defense is always stout and keeps them in every game. Their D line is so solid year in and year out. Their offense is exactly what ours should be with Murray. 14-20 passes per game depending on the situation and your #1 RB getting 20+ carries every game.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:56 am

BleedingBLue wrote:Utah for both sides of the ball. If they had a QB the last 2 years they would have been PAC 12 champs and in the playoff. Their defense is always stout and keeps them in every game. Their D line is so solid year in and year out. Their offense is exactly what ours should be with Murray. 14-20 passes per game depending on the situation and your #1 RB getting 20+ carries every game.
This is a very good observation. What Montana State ideally wants to do defensively is very similar to Utah. Funny because Edward Vander's high school coach compared him to Devontae Booker, the stud Utah tailback.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 am

Oklahoma State...

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:59 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Utah for both sides of the ball. If they had a QB the last 2 years they would have been PAC 12 champs and in the playoff. Their defense is always stout and keeps them in every game. Their D line is so solid year in and year out. Their offense is exactly what ours should be with Murray. 14-20 passes per game depending on the situation and your #1 RB getting 20+ carries every game.
This is a very good observation. What Montana State ideally wants to do defensively is very similar to Utah. Funny because Edward Vander's high school coach compared him to Devontae Booker, the stud Utah tailback.
I'll take one Booker 2.0, please.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Common Cat wrote:Ohio State
Here are a few coaching staffs coaches have started to follow on twitter. Could mean nothing or it could mean potential professional development spots:

Matt Miller (WR) - Washington
Brian Armstrong (OL) - Ohio State

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:15 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
We might also have an "in" with the Utah running backs coach. :D

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Clemson play calling is outstanding. Lots of misdirection and moving the pocket to maximize Watsons athleticism. They had OSU confused all game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 pm

exppi wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
We might also have an "in" with the Utah running backs coach. :D
He announced his retirement.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01 pm

West Virginia runs a similar offense, quite a bit of that Diamond formation, a lot of read option. Howard is a better passer than Murray but that's not the point.

mboston33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mboston33 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm

First, congratulations to one of our own who is retiring from coaching. Dennis Erickson is gone. Many miles on those shoes and body. Was fortunate to play for him for 3 years at MSU and was on the team who got him his first college win as a head coach in 69 Shrine game. Will miss his games at Utah. Enjoy your retirement.

OK Alabama on defense---One of the toughest ever go visit Saban this winter, also Penn State, Wisconsin.

offense-----Clemson has a great offense and QB and a great coach.

HAPPY NUDE YEAR....STRIP THE BGRIZ IN 17.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 am

Washington is an obvious one and in my mind our staff and their staff will always have a close connection and work together. I also agree with the Utah staff. I would be tickled if our style resembled theirs. Another school that I like a lot is the University of Colorado. If you watch their highlights you see a lot of straight ahead running, physical line play and crisp passing routes, defensively. I think building relationships with several of these area schools can also pay off in the event there is a good drop down that we can pick up. Obviously Walker was a really good get and clearly he had been coached well previously. I don't see our staff and a staff like Louisville having a lot in common, but I may be wrong. Either way, I think visits like these are vital and a great way to grow as a staff.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 am

Washington is an obvious one and in my mind our staff and their staff will always have a close connection and work together. I also agree with the Utah staff. I would be tickled if our style resembled theirs. Another school that I like a lot is the University of Colorado. If you watch their highlights you see a lot of straight ahead running, physical line play and crisp passing routes, defensively they play fast with timely basic blitzes. I think building relationships with several of these area schools can also pay off in the event there is a good drop down that we can pick up. Obviously Walker was a really good get and clearly he had been coached well previously. I don't see our staff and a staff like Louisville having a lot in common, but I may be wrong. Either way, I think visits like these are vital and a great way to grow as a staff.