Best Cat-Griz games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Best Cat-Griz games

Post by St George » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:17 am

1984, I was there in the old wooden stands and the Cats beat the griz on my birthday. Couldn't ask for a better gift.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am

I didn't go to the 84 game in Missoula. That was my first year in Northeast Montana. We had season tickets and went to every home game including the playoffs, and as a young credit officer I couldn't afford the additional trip, but I listened to the game at a bar in Glasgow with a bunch of friends. I just started dating my wife (Griz Alum) a few months before the 1984 season started, she was a sophomore at the U at the time and was at the game. We didn't have cell phones then so I called her about 2:00 in the morning (hammered) to gloat.

Thought she was going to break up with me on the spot :)

32 years later and this mixed marriage has survived and thrived, despite the streak and the 31 CAT/Griz games that followed.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 am

Best games have all been listed, so I'll go with a few of my most memorable.
1985. This was my first attended Cat griz game. The Cats dominated, and I remember thinking "wow, even when we're a bad team we beat the griz!"... little did I know we wouldn't win again for 16 years.

1991. We lost this game, 16-10 I believe, but I really felt like the Cats could win this one if they could just catch a break somewhere. Didn't happen. We had a solid defense that year, but not much offense.

2003. In my opinion, Corey Smith's opening kickoff TD is the most amazing, electric play ever in a Cat griz game.

2010. Wasn't there, watched on TV, but this was such a huge important win for Coach Ash, and solidified DMac as a clutch performer in any weather. One of the most impressive plays to me was when a shotgun snap was low, hit the ground and rolled past DMac on the frozen turf. He calmly ran back, picked the ball up, looked downfield, and fired a completion over the middle to Akpla.
Kid had nerves of steel.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:31 am

St George wrote:1984, I was there in the old wooden stands and the Cats beat the griz on my birthday. Couldn't ask for a better gift.

I was at that game as well. I can remember sitting in the end zone section and being harassed by some Griz fans because I had a Carroll College folding seat and I was rooting for the Cat's. At the end of the game, the same fans came up to me and I was ready to swing my seat at them in case they started something. They just congratulated me on the win and walked away. I don't remember much else about the game other than the Cat's won. I remember more games in Reno H. Sales stadium that year including the incredible finish to the Rhode Island game and Jesse Jones catch and run against Boise State.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ragucat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ragucat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:30 pm

1968 Bobcats needed three scores in last 9 minutes to win. Schaeffer somersaults into end zone in front of stands holding Bobcat student section, the crowd went wild.

2002 Junior Adams runs through snow to score in the north end zone in front of Bobcat fans (at that time), Ryan Johnson runs ball with authority to keep Griz off field. Bobcats go wild Griz go silent, the streak is over

2016 Bobcats don't fold and play with swagger and Griz become dish rags, best 4-7 team in Bobcat history

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:39 pm

ragucat wrote:1968 Bobcats needed three scores in last 9 minutes to win. Schaeffer somersaults into end zone in front of stands holding Bobcat student section, the crowd went wild.
I was one of those that went wild. Best 'Cat/griz game ever in my mind! Paul Schafer was one tough (and pretty beat up) dude. Second best - any game the 'Cats won.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:52 pm

[img]http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... 1200%2C800[/img]

2003 the last time the goal posts came down

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:48 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Image

I'm somewhere in that mess.

Also, that pic is from '05.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:22 am

CatBlitz wrote:

You're right! That is 2005.

2003 was cloudy.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:05 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:Best for me means ones that we won - so I won't include heartbreakers like 1997.

The game where we broke the streak - 2002. I was lucky enough to be there. Froze my butt off, and worth every frozen second.
2003, when Corey Smith returned the opening kickoff into the end zone. We got into the stadium just in time to see the play - hugging and high fiving everyone on our way to our seats.
2012??? I think? When Mike Rider sealed it with an interception at the goal line with seconds left.
2016. For all the reasons already mentioned in other threads.
Rider sealed the 2010 win no 2012. I was there. The wind was coming out of hell gate canyon right into my face as the snow came down sideways. That was a very cold day. But I didnt care. I was flipped off, yelled at, cursed at, and IT WAS AWESOME.
I was in the south end zone for that game. I drove to Missoula on terrible roads. Got a call from my buddy halfway there that his roommate had tickets and wasn't going. Did I want to go? So he met me the next morning. We froze in the stands. Had a griz fan that didn't make it a secret how he felt us being there because he figured we would be obnoxious. When he walked out with about 3 minutes left he shook my hand and congratulated me. My buddy's mom in Texas called him and described me because I guess we were on tv that day alot. I will always remember that game because it was so cold and on the way in there was some little old lady all bundled up saying "4 free tickets for grizzly fans"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:33 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

You're right! That is 2005.

2003 was cloudy.
And about -50°... :lol:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:15 pm

All of them that the Cat's have won. 2016 will be a classic, Won with a true freshman QB that is as cool as they come in
Wa grizz house - a rookie Head Coach and a great Defensive effort, coupled with just two big pass completions - it was a physical whooping,
That won't soon be forgot, if ever by my grizz friends, if I have anything to do with it . This Win will keep me warm all winter,
been cold for three years. I expect to see the series evened up so we need a long streak of back to backs. Why not make
2016 the start of the streak ! Go Cats !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:25 pm

I think we win at least 3 or 4 in a row more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Otherwise a season from hell. All those games the Cardiac Cats won in the 4th qtr on the way to a National Championship the year before, we lost in the same way (mostly) in 1985. We did beat Eastern Oregon State something like 86-0 (I remember it was 72-0 at the half). But we lost to Portland State when they were D-II, and lost all other Big Sky games despite having a lot of guys back from 1984 (Kelly Bradley, Tom White, Kelly Davis, Dave Pandt, Eric Miller, Pat Bergman, the Timmers, Jon Wanago, Jesse Jones, Doug Kimball, Tex Sikora, Clete Linebarger, Derrek Abel, Rodney Holland, etc). Kelly Bradley was lost to injury. We were down late in the season, lost our mojo. But mustered enough for that one game to throw out the records.

We beat the hell out of the griz that year, releasing a lot of pent up frustration throughout the game.

2005 - my wife's first Cat-Griz game (she's from Southern California) - we had front row seats watching Lulay's Cats beat down the griz. My wife was like 'this is crazy, way better than UCLA games.'

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

JDoub wrote:1985
Otherwise a season from hell. All those games the Cardiac Cats won in the 4th qtr on the way to a National Championship the year before, we lost in the same way (mostly) in 1985. We did beat Eastern Oregon State something like 86-0 (I remember it was 72-0 at the half). But we lost to Portland State when they were D-II, and lost all other Big Sky games despite having a lot of guys back from 1984 (Kelly Bradley, Tom White, Kelly Davis, Dave Pandt, Eric Miller, Pat Bergman, the Timmers, Jon Wanago, Jesse Jones, Doug Kimball, Tex Sikora, Clete Linebarger, Derrek Abel, Rodney Holland, etc). Kelly Bradley was lost to injury. We were down late in the season, lost our mojo. But mustered enough for that one game to throw out the records.

We beat the hell out of the griz that year, releasing a lot of pent up frustration throughout the game.

2005 - my wife's first Cat-Griz game (she's from Southern California) - we had front row seats watching Lulay's Cats beat down the griz. My wife was like 'this is crazy, way better than UCLA games.'
That's a cool story. That 2005 game was the best the Bobcats have played since 1984 in a Cat-Griz game. MSU's performance has been lackluster in Cat-Griz games. That's why this 2016 win was so good for them. The second half of 2003 was very good too. Despite Smith's KO return and Qualls' INT return, I thought MSU would lose that game, but Lulay engineered perhaps the best back-to-back drives in Cat-Griz history and that keyed the win.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mboston33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mboston33 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 pm

I remember the 68 game in Missoula very well. It was the day and game that convinced me that being a BOBCAT was the only way to go, and I grew up and was raised in Missoula. Paul Shafer and Dennis Erickson were awesome. I was privileged to call Paul Shafer a team mate his senior year, a friend and mentor and have Dennis Erickson as a coach for 3 years. That 68 game was miraculous especially in Missoula.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 am

mboston33 wrote:I remember the 68 game in Missoula very well. It was the day and game that convinced me that being a BOBCAT was the only way to go, and I grew up and was raised in Missoula. Paul Shafer and Dennis Erickson were awesome. I was privileged to call Paul Shafer a team mate his senior year, a friend and mentor and have Dennis Erickson as a coach for 3 years. That 68 game was miraculous especially in Missoula.
I'm interested in hearing your recollection of the fourth quarter. There's some differing opinions on how it played out.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mboston33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mboston33 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:48 pm

TomCat 88: Its been 48 yrs since that game in Missoula in 68. I was a senior in high school then and my dad and I were just getting ready to leave in 4th quarter with score 28-10, I think. Anyway we started to leave with about 10 minutes left when Dennis hit Ron Bain for a touchdown, on a great catch. We decided to stay and the defense was solid and got the ball back. SHAFER WAS CARRYING THE BALL DOWNFIELD 5-6 YDS A CRACK BUT COULD HARDLY GET UP AND WALK. THEY POUNDED THE BALL INTO THE END ZONE BRINGING THEM IN CLOSER DEFENSE HELD AGAIN AND WITH Erickson hitting Bain on several passes down field, Shafer carried the ball about another 10 times and catapulted into the end zone with about 30 seconds left to win the game. Great comeback win. Shafer had over 250 yds on 56 carries. what a game. I was pumped and I told my dad I want to be a BOBCAT. WOW WHAT A DAY!!! Not perfect recollection of details but I can still picture it in my mind. They had to carry Paul off the field. What a warrior he was.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:48 pm

mboston33 wrote:TomCat 88: Its been 48 yrs since that game in Missoula in 68. I was a senior in high school then and my dad and I were just getting ready to leave in 4th quarter with score 28-10, I think. Anyway we started to leave with about 10 minutes left when Dennis hit Ron Bain for a touchdown, on a great catch. We decided to stay and the defense was solid and got the ball back. SHAFER WAS CARRYING THE BALL DOWNFIELD 5-6 YDS A CRACK BUT COULD HARDLY GET UP AND WALK. THEY POUNDED THE BALL INTO THE END ZONE BRINGING THEM IN CLOSER DEFENSE HELD AGAIN AND WITH Erickson hitting Bain on several passes down field, Shafer carried the ball about another 10 times and catapulted into the end zone with about 30 seconds left to win the game. Great comeback win. Shafer had over 250 yds on 56 carries. what a game. I was pumped and I told my dad I want to be a BOBCAT. WOW WHAT A DAY!!! Not perfect recollection of details but I can still picture it in my mind. They had to carry Paul off the field. What a warrior he was.
Thanks mb33. Here's the write up in Wikipedia:
In 1968, in what is considered by many as the most exciting game in the Cat-Griz series, quarterback Dennis Erickson, flanker Ron Bain and running back Paul Schafer lead a monumental comeback as the Bobcats clinch a tie for the Big Sky championship—their third straight. Trailing 24–9 in the fourth quarter, Montana State scored 20 points in the last nine minutes and won 29–24 when Schafer, who had 58 carries for 234 yards in the game, dove into the end zone with 12 seconds left. The Grizzlies appeared to have the drive stopped at the MSU 32, but a facemask penalty gave the Cats new life on the 17.

In all, 34 points are scored in the final quarter. Bain's brother, Doug of the Grizzlies, gave the Montana a 17–9 lead early in the quarter on a pass from Ray Brum. After another UM touchdown made the score 24–9 with just over 10 minutes to go it looked as if the Grizzlies would win going away, but the Bobcats weren't done. Schaefer scored on a short run with 8:15 to play and Erickson hit Bain for a touchdown with five minutes left cutting the lead to two at 24–22.

After Schafer's touchdown, the Grizzlies nearly spoil things for MSU. UM takes over at the 20 with speedy receiver Ron Baines at quarterback. He gains 15 and another 15 are tacked on by an unnecessary roughness penalty. Baines then makes a circus run of 37 yards from midfield before he's dragged down at the MSU 13 after time expires.
That's pretty close to what you said. That last play by UM must've had everyone on their feet. What an insane game!! And how about the Bain brothers playing on opposite teams?

Who else was at this game? CatGrad? Feb?

toM StUber

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Who else was at this game? CatGrad? Feb?
I was at that game in the end zone bleachers - the end zone where the 'Cats did their 4th quarter scoring. I don't remember the sequence of plays as well as mboston or Wikipedia, but I do remember it was crazy wild with the excitement building with each score. Paul Shafer was a really gritty, gutsy player. As I recall, he played pretty banged up most of the season. If I remember right, his roster weight was 175 which wasn't real hefty to start with, but he was tough and strong. He may not have the stats of many of the other 'Cat running backs, but he's an all time great in my mind.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.