Sean Hatten commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sean Hatten commits

Post by RickRund » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:06 am

Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Being a fly fisherman myself, I can understand the excitement in some of his quotes. But I'm going to be nitpicky here. It's ok to sell kids on the opportunities around Bozeman, but let us not forget that we want to win championships. I'm guessing the recruiting pitch at a dominant school like NDSU sounds a bit different. I'm not saying Choate and staff are not pitching the "we want to build a championship team with you" , but it's a mentality of winning that should really drive our recruiting. I don't know, I might be off base here. Something just rubs me wrong when I think of our recruits having the mindset of, "Well if we don't win at least I can be on the river in an hour." Again- just being picky.
Part of going to college is the location and if you don't sell the location appropriately, people will not want to go there. If you don't think the coaching staff at NDSU try to up-sale Fargo as an area in addition to what they have built or in the Cats case are hoping to build, then you would be heavily mistaken.
Yeah, I agree. I just want the championship attitude first then fly fishing a second :wink:
Just curious but what are the differences in Bozeman and Fargo. What would be the selling points of Fargo. Been around Bozeman LOTS but not since the early 80's so what is there that would draw a student/athlete to Fargo over Bozeman? I know Bozeman would be my pick for the scenery, running, hiking, hunting, fishing..... How would you sell me to go to Fargo?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 am

Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Being a fly fisherman myself, I can understand the excitement in some of his quotes. But I'm going to be nitpicky here. It's ok to sell kids on the opportunities around Bozeman, but let us not forget that we want to win championships. I'm guessing the recruiting pitch at a dominant school like NDSU sounds a bit different. I'm not saying Choate and staff are not pitching the "we want to build a championship team with you" , but it's a mentality of winning that should really drive our recruiting. I don't know, I might be off base here. Something just rubs me wrong when I think of our recruits having the mindset of, "Well if we don't win at least I can be on the river in an hour." Again- just being picky.
Part of going to college is the location and if you don't sell the location appropriately, people will not want to go there. If you don't think the coaching staff at NDSU try to up-sale Fargo as an area in addition to what they have built or in the Cats case are hoping to build, then you would be heavily mistaken.
Yeah, I agree. I just want the championship attitude first then fly fishing a second :wink:
Agreed. I have a good feeling with Choate's approach and his attitude towards winning and building that is probably what recruits are thinking. At least I hope. :D

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am

RickRund wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Just curious but what are the differences in Bozeman and Fargo. What would be the selling points of Fargo. Been around Bozeman LOTS but not since the early 80's so what is there that would draw a student/athlete to Fargo over Bozeman? I know Bozeman would be my pick for the scenery, running, hiking, hunting, fishing..... How would you sell me to go to Fargo?
It's just a different sell. Are there some fun things to do in town - college-centered stuff? I'm sure you can hunt and fish around there - just different from what is here. Not far from twin cities and a major airport. And believe it or not, kids that grow up in the flatland can sometimes feel very claustrophobic in a mountain environment. Different things appeal to different kids.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:14 am

Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
That is just one recruits experience with his recruitment. I am sure that these coaches change up their approach depending on what the prospective student athlete seems to care about. Just sayin.

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 am

bob12 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
That is just one recruits experience with his recruitment. I am sure that these coaches change up their approach depending on what the prospective student athlete seems to care about. Just sayin.
We should tell all our recruits if they're not willing to stay on campus and lift weights on every observed holiday and if they want to occasionally have some fun or have a hobby, we don't want you. Sounds like we need a new recruiting coordinator, he's definitely approaching this wrong.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:00 pm

asstastic wrote:
bob12 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
We should tell all our recruits if they're not willing to stay on campus and lift weights on every observed holiday and if they want to occasionally have some fun or have a hobby, we don't want you. Sounds like we need a new recruiting coordinator, he's definitely approaching this wrong.
Sorry, didn't have my coffee this morning.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm

You guys are looking WAY too into one comment from a recruit. Of course we are selling the kid on the program, culture, college, Bozeman, environment surrounding Bozeman, etc. You are being pretty naive if you think Choate and Pitre are telling these kids, "I don't think we can win championships but the fly-fishing is outstanding."

He wants to come here and help the team win. I don't think one recruit signs on signing day thinking they aren't going to be part of either a winning team or the solution to a losing team.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Follow the players on instagram. Lots of them fly fish and post some pretty sweet pictures. The bye week hotties thread had a girl with a fish. Former player's girlfriend.

What do you expect them to do all summer after their own workouts. Be bored? Get homesick? If you are selling a championship culture in Fargo or a championship culture in Bozeman....?? Hard to not pick Bozeman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:42 am

https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/805995492727406592 Hope we can hold onto Sean

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:23 am

Bozcat003 wrote:https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/805995492727406592 Hope we can hold onto Sean
You wonder what the offer is. Not surprised after the senior season he had. Fresno State had a really bad year but its Mountain West and close to home for Sean. Its officially "hold on to your butts" season...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:21 am

It has to be either a walk-on or a full-ride. No partials at that level.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:33 am

grizpack wrote:It has to be either a walk-on or a full-ride. No partials at that level.
Exactly. So I wonder if it was a full or PWO. Regardless, the Big Sky can compete with Mountain West in recruiting. Have for years.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am

Bozcat003 wrote:https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/805995492727406592 Hope we can hold onto Sean
Interesting....I don't think Fresno even has a coaching staff in place yet.

They just went 1-11 (only win against Sac), and spent a ton of money to buy out their previous coach, and a ton more money to make Jeff Tedford the highest paid coach in the Mountain West. Possible that former MSU assistant Jim Michalczek may be in line for the OC position.

I like the direction we're going at MSU, and we certainly have cooler weather for Summer/Fall camps. I couldn't imagine being an OL doing two a days at 100+ degrees.

Hope we're able to hang on to him.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 am

I love to watch physical O linemen who bring a little nasty to the field. I think out of all the recruiting classes I have seen come through in the last fifteen years or so, this group (at least from what can be seen on tape) is the most physical and imposing group of the bunch. Hats off to the coaches, they have a brand of lineman that they want and they are going out and getting it. As Coach Mac says "It starts up front" . I can't wait to see these young men step on to the field. I agree with the comment is this football or MMA. GOOD GET! =D^ =D^

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:56 am

I hope Hatten stays committed. I really liked his tape

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I would think it would come down to if he is offered a full scholarship or PWO at Fresno (plus if he would be able to play right away). MSU seems like the most logical choice as he would be full scholarship and would have the opportunity for sure to play right away as a Freshman (and in beautiful Bozeman, MT ).

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
I would think it would come down to if he is offered a full scholarship or PWO at Fresno (plus if he would be able to play right away). MSU seems like the most logical choice as he would be full scholarship and would have the opportunity for sure to play right away as a Freshman (and in beautiful Bozeman, MT ).

I hope the Cat's can hold on to him. It's been 30 years since I've been to Fresno and it wasn't really a garden spot back then. I see the population has almost double since I last visited and the median income is still pretty low. Bozeman is a much more inviting location if Sean can get over being far from his family.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808749409525637120 https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808566775625330688

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808749409525637120 https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808566775625330688
003, you reading anything into this? Why would he post stuff if he's already committed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:24 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808749409525637120 https://twitter.com/SeanH___/status/808566775625330688
003, you reading anything into this? Why would he post stuff if he's already committed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly not sure what to get out of it. He had a huge senior season so teams are now noticing him. I think Fresno State is our biggest threat and UC Davis right behind. He is still committed to us - but he is one I am worried may be leaning another direction which is a bummer.

If we can keep him I could see him being a 4 year starter after his redshirt year.