Jeff Choate bye week press conference

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Jeff Choate bye week press conference

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 pm

WATCH: Montana State press conference - head coach Jeff Choate, bye week
http://skylinesportsmt.com/jeff-choate- ... onference/

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Jeff Choate bye week press conference

Post by Common Cat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:45 pm

That last minute. Damn, he makes you believe.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Common Cat wrote:That last minute. Damn, he makes you believe.
He's not wrong.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
He's not wrong.
I love listening to Choate. He's so good at communicating and telling stories. Not gonna lie-
Got goosebumps during that last moment. Love it.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Common Cat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
He's not wrong.
I love listening to Choate. He's so good at communicating and telling stories. Not gonna lie-
Got goosebumps during that last moment. Love it.
https://youtu.be/VcjzHMhBtf0

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:18 am

He said the 3rd quarter was the best quarter of football this season. They had four drives. Punt, Blkd FG, TD, Punt. The TD drive included converting after getting into 2nd and 17, then getting first down on a 3rd and 7 play on a pass to Kupp. EWU averaged 5.7 yards per play (7.4 for the game) that quarter. MSU drove 53 yards on its first drive, then fumbled on the 22. Went 3 and out, then returned KO to the EWU 42, got a first down, then threw INT at the 9.

So when he says "we're close" he's right.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 pm

ROCKIN' R BAR PRESENTS: Big Sky Breakdown - Montana State head coach Jeff Choate bye week audio
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... -bye-week/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:22 pm

ROCKIN' R BAR Presents: Big Sky Breakdown - Montana State bye week
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-msu-bye/

In this weekly edition exclusively sponsored by the Rockin’ R Bar in Bozeman, Montana, Brooks and Colter Nuanez break down Montana State’s season to this point, including MSU’s 41-17 loss to Eastern Washington at Bobcat Stadium last week as the Bobcats prepare for their bye week with Southern Utah on the horizon on Saturday, November 5.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State press conference - head coach Jeff Choate, bye week
If you are questioning Choate as a coach, you should listen to this. He is the real deal folks. He is very knowledgeable about the game and his players. He communicates very well. He is passionate and committed. We are going to win a lot of games with Coach Choate!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State press conference - head coach Jeff Choate, bye week
If you are questioning Choate as a coach, you should listen to this. He is the real deal folks. He is very knowledgeable about the game and his players. He communicates very well. He is passionate and committed. We are going to win a lot of games with Coach Choate!
I basically agree with you, but he lost me in a bit way with 1 specific line of thought. When he stated "I really don't think we've been out coached," that's nonsense. If you're 2-6, you have not done your job, period. Don't have good enough players? B.S., you have plenty of players to beat Sac State. QB controversy? You created that, coach, by selling us Bruggman for 5 games. I like the way he talks about football, the way he wants to build based on hard-nosed play, and holding people accountable. I just think he needs to also hold himself and his staff accountable. Blaming the players solely for being 2-6, which is what that statement did (and no I'm not taking 1 sentence out of context, go back and check if you must) is not the mark of a good program leader IMO. Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I basically agree with you, but he lost me in a bit way with 1 specific line of thought. When he stated "I really don't think we've been out coached," that's nonsense. If you're 2-6, you have not done your job, period. Don't have good enough players? B.S., you have plenty of players to beat Sac State. QB controversy? You created that, coach, by selling us Bruggman for 5 games. I like the way he talks about football, the way he wants to build based on hard-nosed play, and holding people accountable. I just think he needs to also hold himself and his staff accountable. Blaming the players solely for being 2-6, which is what that statement did (and no I'm not taking 1 sentence out of context, go back and check if you must) is not the mark of a good program leader IMO. Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program.
I don't think, in general, they've been out coached. There have been questionable moments, but mostly it's been player errors.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I don't think, in general, they've been out coached. There have been questionable moments, but mostly it's been player errors.
2-6, you've been out coached. Turnovers like this need to be fixed, they haven't. Offense has all the flow of water running uphill, which hasn't been fixed. Have the players made mistakes? Of course they have, it's part of the game. When players continue to make the same mistakes, it becomes about coaching at that point. My point is, whether you (meaning coach) believe you've been perfect and the players can't win anyway, putting that in public is not the way to handle it. Just my .02.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
2-6, you've been out coached. Turnovers like this need to be fixed, they haven't. Offense has all the flow of water running uphill, which hasn't been fixed. Have the players made mistakes? Of course they have, it's part of the game. When players continue to make the same mistakes, it becomes about coaching at that point. My point is, whether you (meaning coach) believe you've been perfect and the players can't win anyway, putting that in public is not the way to handle it. Just my .02.
I think you're trying to say they've done a poor job of coaching. When someone says 'out coached' it means the other teams coaches had their team more prepared and did better in-game adjustments, etc.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:17 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I think you're trying to say they've done a poor job of coaching. When someone says 'out coached' it means the other teams coaches had their team more prepared and did better in-game adjustments, etc.
Ok, I'll go with that. If you're 2-6, you are not doing a good enough job of coaching. And if you are or think you are, you think it silently, because blaming your team in the media is not the way to build said team's confidence as you try to turn 2-6 into 4-7 with progress shown. If you think bad coaching describes that better than being out coached, I won't argue.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm

I'll just add, to be clear, that I'm not saying Choate should be fired, or that he was the wrong hire, or anything close to that. Without knowing, I'd guess that first time head coaches have to learn the correct tack to take in the press, among many other things. We'll all, including me, do well to remember that coach is at his first head job, and has a few first timers on the staff as well. There will be growing pains with the staff as well as the young team.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Ok, I'll go with that. If you're 2-6, you are not doing a good enough job of coaching. And if you are or think you are, you think it silently, because blaming your team in the media is not the way to build said team's confidence as you try to turn 2-6 into 4-7 with progress shown. If you think bad coaching describes that better than being out coached, I won't argue.
In the interview he said he doesn't think his staff has been out coached, not that his staff has done a better job of coaching than other coaching staffs. I've heard him say he has to do a better job of coaching.

toM StUber

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:07 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
To add to this, I think of game plan and strategy as the crux of being out coached. In that regard, they haven't been.

Andy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Andy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:15 pm

I have been down the road many a miles, but I think the call sign for TomCat 88 is getting old. Really, is there nothing better than to through the F bomb EVERY time you post. It so over used, what does it mean???

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Andy wrote:I have been down the road many a miles, but I think the call sign for TomCat 88 is getting old. Really, is there nothing better than to through the F bomb EVERY time you post. It so over used, what does it mean???
It's called a "signature" and in this case, he's using it to illustrate and remind that Tom is going to say whatever he wants to and really don't give no shiits about someone trying to shout him down.