I love MSU!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

I love MSU!

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:09 am

Yesterday before kickoff, I was contemplating what type of crowd would show and how bad we would lose to the number 3 team in the country. The player intros came on and once again, just like every home game, I am impressed. Then the video starts on the big screen, the horses come out, the fireworks blow and the 18,000 fans start to cheer. The music is playing and the sun is shining. What a great evinronment! What a great day!

At halftime, instead of hitting the tailgates, we walked over to the east side to get some food from a vendor and enjoy the sun. I am standing by the inflatable Bobcat enjoying the sun and taking in the view of the west side grandstand. Incredible! First class! I sit on the west side so I don't get this view very often, but the sun, the stands, the endzone and the field all made me feel like I was staring a piece of art.

We are very lucky to be where we are at. It has been a tough season, but the that has not dampened my love for the Cats. Quite frankly, I am probably more enamored with the team with leaders like Newell and Brekke. With hard nosed players like Bignell and McCabe. With the enthusiasm of Choate, including the morals and values he has preached to our kids away from the field. The fans showed up with cowbells and vocal chords stretched! Add in the relentless ribbing from Griz fans and my passion for the Cats is at an all time high!

We are in a good place! We have so much going for our program from facilities, fan base and top notch education. How can a recruit choose a Portland State, Southern Utah or even Idaho when you see all these things! We have the formula for success!

Let's support this team and coaches. I see massive success in our future! Let's enjoy the ride! If you can't see these wonderful things about the program, please go post someplace else. The vitriol is toxic. Your support is critical to Newell, Brekke and also Choate and Bruggman. Thy chose to be a Cat and we should be proud of that.

I choose to love this program whether we are in the midst of a 5 game losing streak or a playoff run. Let's keep the losing in perspective as we will be back and will be a force to be reckoned with!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: I love MSU!

Post by AFCAT » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:18 am

The fans are what amazes me most about this team. 18K+ fans show up to watch and cheer the worst team in the Big Sky. EWU, the best team in the Big Sky, has about half as many fans show up to their teams home games. Sure, there were a few boos and chants for Murray during the game, but I'll take Cat fans over any other teams fans in the Big Sky.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:20 am

Great post, thanks!

Duane
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Duane » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:24 am

=D^

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:40 pm

+1....let's focus on the future....good things are coming...keep the faith!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm

On their absolute best day ever, EWU (or most of the Big Sky or FCS teams, period) can only fantasize about having this kind of fan support or game-day experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying it replaces winning and I hope the support and love keeps flowing in considering the season we are having. But sometimes I wonder if Bobcat fans realize how good we have it. There are far too many that want to bitch and moan about what we don't have, bitch and moan about what music is playing, bitch and moan about our video board, etc., but I welcome those to travel to venues like Cheney, Cedar City, Ogden, Greeley, or even Portland for that matter, and check out their game-day experience. The winning will come back; I guarantee it. And it when it does, we will ALL be fortunate to have the venue we do to enjoy it once again.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Three games left... Three chances to end this season with 3 conference wins. It can happen. I think this bye week comes at a great time for us. 2 weeks to prepare for a good SUU team. We know we can win. A win in two weeks will be huge. Come home and beat UC Davis at home, now things are rolling. Stand behind this team, be proud, and know that the future will be a lot different from this season. And I love how Griz fans won't talk about NAU but instead can only keep talking about us. Really? UM in 6th place almost feels the same as us sitting in last. Haha!!

Punters are people too!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Please tell me the so-called great fans you guys are so high on were booing the coaches and not the player yesterday. Coaches are adults and are paid (a lot) to win football games, so that heat is a little more fair. But if the fan base was actually booing Bruggeman, you guys should be disgusted. 20 year old kids who give their all don't deserve that. The coaches have put that kid in this position. It's not on him.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Please tell me the so-called great fans you guys are so high on were booing the coaches and not the player yesterday. Coaches are adults and are paid (a lot) to win football games, so that heat is a little more fair. But if the fan base was actually booing Bruggeman, you guys should be disgusted. 20 year old kids who give their all don't deserve that. The coaches have put that kid in this position. It's not on him.
Leave it to a Griz fan to completely miss the point of this post. This post was all about the good, appreciating what we have and looking to the future. There was some booing yesterday, and I can surely tell you that I was embarrassed by their behavior. I am glad to say that it was a small part of the crowd and many of our fans told the instigators to knock it off.

As for a Griz fan making such a comment is laughable. I haven't heard anybody in Bozeman putting a for sale sign in Choates hard. I happened to be in Missoula years ago when Montana QB Johnny Edwards was having a bad game. He ended up taking a tough hit and was hurt on the play. Instead of silence for the hurt Griz QB, the Griz fans cheered so the backup could come in. You know that people in glass houses should not throw stones.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:25 pm

I couldn't agree more with the game day experience we enjoy and the program we all support. For the last 5 years, I drive from my home in Walla Walla to Bozeman to be with friends and family and enjoy the magical experience that is Bobcat home football. The friends new and old are the best. We tailgate in the white lot and often enjoy the company of our opponents fans. They too have been exceptional and the good natured rivalry has frequently added significantly to the event. Those of us who are able to participate are indeed part of the 1%-ers in this category and my group knows fully how fortunate we are. The energy that I felt in the Stony Brook playoff game is rivaled only by the energy I felt during the Seahawks first playoff game against the Broncos in the old Kingdome. It was awesome. I have been to most other BSC stadiums (not UM) and no one comes close.

As an alum, I know the value of a degree from MSU. I competed on a national level as a professional and my education put me on an even footing with peers from prestigious universities on either coast. I love the current administration and their vision for MSU. We may have a second hand name ;D but nothing else about our school is anything other than first class.

As in all loving families, disagreements arise. We are at our best when we engage in constructive dialogue that leads to a better place. I strive to uphold that value when posting here and appreciate those who do also - I believe that is the majority of posters here. If you think I don't reflect that value, I expect someone to call me on it in a constructive manner.

Thanks for the opportunity to be engaged in this community and I look forward to lots of hearty productive discussion.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Please tell me the so-called great fans you guys are so high on were booing the coaches and not the player yesterday. Coaches are adults and are paid (a lot) to win football games, so that heat is a little more fair. But if the fan base was actually booing Bruggeman, you guys should be disgusted. 20 year old kids who give their all don't deserve that. The coaches have put that kid in this position. It's not on him.
I was hoping the beatdown in Flagstaff would keep the griz trolls away for the week... no such luck.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:55 pm

A BobcatNation poster said in a post a few weeks back--critically--that (paraphrased) "Bobcat fans always fancy themselves the adult in the room"...and that this somehow negated a winning culture.

I hated this post because it made light of one of the truly extraordinary differences between us and you (The Griz)...we have class. Always.

The booing yesterday was shameful. I have seen several posts today defending it...and I wish upon wish each and every one of them packs up and leaves. Don't renew your tickets. We're better off without you. EACH. AND. EVERY. ONE. OF. YOU.

And then I found faith, because the ratio of people blasting that action vs defending it was 5 to 1.

To all you Grizzly fans out there laughing at us this year, to all you turncoat Cat fans out there who defend booing our coaches or players, or cheerleaders, or mascot, please, be gone, and take your version of a "winning culture" with you.

You're cowards.

REAL fans stand up during those hard times and cheer, and THEN renew their season tickets without saying something ignorant like "well if I'm payin' for another year, we damn well better win!" Please go home. Your individual investment doesn't add up to that much.

The REAL investment, the one that MATTERS to Cruzado, Choate, Costello, Fish, et al, is the investment from the MAJORITY that understands our check doesn't entitle us to wins, but instead entitles us to a front row seat to watch a GREAT group of kids play a GREAT game in a GREAT stadium that WE funded out of LOYALTY and DEVOTION to an institution we BELIEVE in! If this wasn't true, then Wadad wouldn't have displayed the COURAGE necessary to fire the winningest coach in this schools history knowing it would be unpopular. That is a brand of courage you "boo'ers" and those defending them will NEVER have.

To everybody else...

STAND UP! Today! Tell your neighbor, your co-worker, your brother in law, ANYBODY who thinks it's "trendy" or "funny" to boo and be critical to open their checkbook or walk away. Because when we start winning again, YOU will be the FANS who matter.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:14 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
A BobcatNation poster said in a post a few weeks back--critically--that (paraphrased) "Bobcat fans always fancy themselves the adult in the room"...and that this somehow negated a winning culture.

I hated this post because it made light of one of the truly extraordinary differences between us and you (The Griz)...we have class. Always.

The booing yesterday was shameful. I have seen several posts today defending it...and I wish upon wish each and every one of them packs up and leaves. Don't renew your tickets. We're better off without you. EACH. AND. EVERY. ONE. OF. YOU.

And then I found faith, because the ratio of people blasting that action vs defending it was 5 to 1.

To all you Grizzly fans out there laughing at us this year, to all you turncoat Cat fans out there who defend booing our coaches or players, or cheerleaders, or mascot, please, be gone, and take your version of a "winning culture" with you.

You're cowards.

REAL fans stand up during those hard times and cheer, and THEN renew their season tickets without saying something ignorant like "well if I'm payin' for another year, we damn well better win!" Please go home. Your individual investment doesn't add up to that much.

The REAL investment, the one that MATTERS to Cruzado, Choate, Costello, Fish, et al, is the investment from the MAJORITY that understands our check doesn't entitle us to wins, but instead entitles us to a front row seat to watch a GREAT group of kids play a GREAT game in a GREAT stadium that WE funded out of LOYALTY and DEVOTION to an institution we BELIEVE in! If this wasn't true, then Wadad wouldn't have displayed the COURAGE necessary to fire the winningest coach in this schools history knowing it would be unpopular. That is a brand of courage you "boo'ers" and those defending them will NEVER have.

To everybody else...

STAND UP! Today! Tell your neighbor, your co-worker, your brother in law, ANYBODY who thinks it's "trendy" or "funny" to boo and be critical to open their checkbook or walk away. Because when we start winning again, YOU will be the FANS who matter.

Perfectly stated. I agree with all that you said. I have no idea why a couple of the other posters try to make it a pissing match when I asked a serious question.....were they booing the coaches or the player....because there is a huge difference in my opinion. Has nothing to do with Griz vs Cats. I'd be disgusted if the Griz fans did this, just as I'd be disgusted if Cats fans did it. The Griz Cat line gets drawn the second it involves treating players (who give their all by the way, so much more than 99% here will ever understand) like ******. I was at the game. It wasn't just a few people. Don't make it smaller than it was Cataholic.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

You're cowards.

To everybody else...

Perfectly stated. I agree with all that you said. I have no idea why a couple of the other posters try to make it a pissing match when I asked a serious question.....were they booing the coaches or the player....because there is a huge difference in my opinion. Has nothing to do with Griz vs Cats. I'd be disgusted if the Griz fans did this, just as I'd be disgusted if Cats fans did it. The Griz Cat line gets drawn the second it involves treating players (who give their all by the way, so much more than 99% here will ever understand) like ******. I was at the game. It wasn't just a few people. Don't make it smaller than it was Cataholic.
It was discussed in great detail yesterday/last night on here. If you're interested, read the board. No need to rehash it in this thread. It makes it seem trollish, which isn't unlike you.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

You're cowards.

To everybody else...

It was discussed in great detail yesterday/last night on here. If you're interested, read the board. No need to rehash it in this thread. It makes it seem trollish, which isn't unlike you.
Sheezus. Sensitive much? I'm sorry I didn't go mining through countless threads about Choate, Bruggeman, Murray, your offense, your defense, and your special teams to try and find something about the fan base booing either your coaches or players. The fan base was being discussed here so I asked. My personal take is it was more toward the coaches than Bruggeman, based on the guy sitting close to me who screamed at Choate the entire game. At least I was hoping so.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:On their absolute best day ever, EWU (or most of the Big Sky or FCS teams, period) can only fantasize about having this kind of fan support or game-day experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying it replaces winning and I hope the support and love keeps flowing in considering the season we are having. But sometimes I wonder if Bobcat fans realize how good we have it. There are far too many that want to bitch and moan about what we don't have, bitch and moan about what music is playing, bitch and moan about our video board, etc., but I welcome those to travel to venues like Cheney, Cedar City, Ogden, Greeley, or even Portland for that matter, and check out their game-day experience. The winning will come back; I guarantee it. And it when it does, we will ALL be fortunate to have the venue we do to enjoy it once again.
I live in the Portland area and go to the Vikings games whenever the Montana schools are in town. The crowd at Providence park is 50% Cats or Griz. PSU, with 30k students,a great stadium, in a great city, draws 5k fans a game. Sad.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

You're cowards.

To everybody else...

Sheezus. Sensitive much? I'm sorry I didn't go mining through countless threads about Choate, Bruggeman, Murray, your offense, your defense, and your special teams to try and find something about the fan base booing either your coaches or players. The fan base was being discussed here so I asked. My personal take is it was more toward the coaches than Bruggeman, based on the guy sitting close to me who screamed at Choate the entire game. At least I was hoping so.
My take is that it was classless and embarrassing. I'm sure it was directed at the coaches for putting in Bruggman, but that doesn't really matter, when Brugg takes the field to a chorus of boos, he knows what it's about.

Anyway, I don't want to rehash everything I've already written, but I thought it was shameful, so we're probably in agreement here.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:On their absolute best day ever, EWU (or most of the Big Sky or FCS teams, period) can only fantasize about having this kind of fan support or game-day experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying it replaces winning and I hope the support and love keeps flowing in considering the season we are having. But sometimes I wonder if Bobcat fans realize how good we have it. There are far too many that want to bitch and moan about what we don't have, bitch and moan about what music is playing, bitch and moan about our video board, etc., but I welcome those to travel to venues like Cheney, Cedar City, Ogden, Greeley, or even Portland for that matter, and check out their game-day experience. The winning will come back; I guarantee it. And it when it does, we will ALL be fortunate to have the venue we do to enjoy it once again.
I live in the Portland area and go to the Vikings games whenever the Montana schools are in town. The crowd at Providence park is 50% Cats or Griz. PSU, with 30k students,a great stadium, in a great city, draws 5k fans a game. Sad.
It seems most folks in my office are somehow tied to either OSU or UO. They draw the big crowds unfortunately. PSU is seen as a commuter school, similar to Weber.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

You're cowards.

To everybody else...

My take is that it was classless and embarrassing. I'm sure it was directed at the coaches for putting in Bruggman, but that doesn't really matter, when Brugg takes the field to a chorus of boos, he knows what it's about.

Anyway, I don't want to rehash everything I've already written, but I thought it was shameful, so we're probably in agreement here.
We definitely are, thank you. And I'm glad you stand up for the players. They deserve it.