Ben Folsom to Safety

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Ben Folsom to Safety

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 am

Greg Rachac reported in Sunday's Gazette that QB Ben Folsom has been moved to safety and is wearing number 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Ben Folsom to Safety

Post by 083190 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:43 am

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:04 pm

imacat wrote:Greg Rachac reported in Sunday's Gazette that QB Ben Folsom has been moved to safety and is wearing number 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great move, Cats will only get better.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:58 am

Great!!!!!

Put players where they can help the team.

Good heart by Ben. Willing to do what's necessary to help the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 am

Just wait on this one guys. Only redshirt freshman and a very good, instinctive football player. He's also a good athlete to boot and stands 6'2", 200 lbs. Might not have blazing speed but you don't need it to be a good safety. Let these young kids develop and see what we have in a few years. Some of you may just like what you see.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 am

One thing you can see already is that Choate understands you need to get your athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Brandom, Brekke, and now Folsom to name a few. I believe he may have moved Dodd over, but that might've been Ash. If you have a guy that isn't going to play on offense, but is a good athlete you should definitely look at him on defense.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 am

iaafan wrote:One thing you can see already is that Choate understands you need to get your athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Brandom, Brekke, and now Folsom to name a few. I believe he may have moved Dodd over, but that might've been Ash. If you have a guy that isn't going to play on offense, but is a good athlete you should definitely look at him on defense.
He moved Dodd over in the offseason. Another thing on Brekke, after the Badlands Bowl in 2013, the North Dakota coaches said he was the best corner they had ever seen in the game. Many thought he would play corner in college but he was recruited as a running back. Then we play him a few snaps his true freshman year for no real reason. We should have one more year of Brekke but that is the way it goes.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:One thing you can see already is that Choate understands you need to get your athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Brandom, Brekke, and now Folsom to name a few. I believe he may have moved Dodd over, but that might've been Ash. If you have a guy that isn't going to play on offense, but is a good athlete you should definitely look at him on defense.
He moved Dodd over in the offseason. Another thing on Brekke, after the Badlands Bowl in 2013, the North Dakota coaches said he was the best corner they had ever seen in the game. Many thought he would play corner in college but he was recruited as a running back. Then we play him a few snaps his true freshman year for no real reason. We should have one more year of Brekke but that is the way it goes.

Not that he had a bad career by any means, but you gotta wonder how things would have played out if he was redshirted his freshman year and played CB from day one........... who knows?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:18 am

VimSince03 wrote:

Just play him a few snaps his freshman year..........are we not doing the same with a freshman again? So here is the question do you move Brekke to defense now and give more reps to Pegues?

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:05 am

catgrad05 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Just play him a few snaps his freshman year..........are we not doing the same with a freshman again? So here is the question do you move Brekke to defense now and give more reps to Pegues?
That's a very good question. The eternal debate on a season that will not result in playoffs. Play the seniors that give you the best chance to win now because they've worked so hard and earned it, or play the young guys for next season. My personal take is that practice is where the vast majority of your development takes place, so play the seniors. Those seniors have paid their dues and really done a good job leading this team through a tough season. They've earned every second of playing time and need to be rewarded. And young guys DO learn from watching on the sidelines and how the older guys go about their business. These guys were all high level players their entire lives and saw very little from the sideline. Different perspective on the game so this is teaching time too. Not saying a few reps or carries a game for the young guys. You can say Brekke's situation is different, but really it isn't. If Brekke moves to CB for the remainder, you are taking reps away from Harris, Strong, and others that are developing too. I know my response doesn't clear anything up, but it really is a discussion where both sides have good benefits. I just lean towards the seniors playing.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 pm

This is a good move! I wish they would've made the move sooner as Ben has the chance to be a very good safety in the BSC. He is a better athlete than given credit for and is a smart football player with good size and instincts.