Positives and Work Upons

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Positives and Work Upons

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 am

Positives:
1. IMO we just played the best offense we have faced maybe ever. I thought we limited explosive plays and had some good stops. I like that we have a different scheme each week.

2. I liked that we opened up with a quick slant and then a nicely designed play action to Sullivan. When we had three running backs set we moved the ball well.

3. Loved the fight. I think we played with more intensity this game.

4. Special teams looked fantastic- loved the returns (except one) and the pressure we we're getting on our field goal and PA blocks.

5. Love the message that was sent by taking the time out to get the offense back on the field at the end.

Work Upons

1. Obviously, killer turnovers. We have the uncanny ability to negate momentum this year. We capture it and almost certainly give it away. We have not done a good job capitalizing after big plays and stops.

2. I would like to see better pursuit to the ball. You can see some guys flying to it while others are not.

3. More quick slants over the middle please.

4. We need a win - this feeling is horrible.

GO CATS

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Positives and Work Upons

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:53 am

Positive:
This team reminds me of the 1983 team. Good defense, no offense, first year head coach. Followed a team that went 6-5, instead of 5-6.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:00 am

Common Cat wrote:Positives:
1. IMO we just played the best offense we have faced maybe ever. I thought we limited explosive plays and had some good stops. I like that we have a different scheme each week.

2. I liked that we opened up with a quick slant and then a nicely designed play action to Sullivan. When we had three running backs set we moved the ball well.

4. Special teams looked fantastic- loved the returns (except one) and the pressure we we're getting on our field goal and PA blocks.

5. Love the message that was sent by taking the time out to get the offense back on the field at the end.

Work Upons

1. Obviously, killer turnovers. We have the uncanny ability to negate momentum this year. We capture it and almost certainly give it away. We have not done a good job capitalizing after big plays and stops.

2. I would like to see better pursuit to the ball. You can see some guys flying to it while others are not.

GO CATS
Positive: Brekke is demonstrating over and over the fight this team has.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:38 pm

exppi wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Positives:

Work Upons

GO CATS
Positive: Brekke is demonstrating over and over the fight this team has.
This kid is demonstrating what it means to be a leader and a great teammate.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:47 pm

I'll add another positive. Choate is finally running the offense he wants with 2 back sets, power, counter, play action. We lined up in the I and had Newell stuff it on short yardage up the gut. I laughed at 27 trying to tackle him only to get a stinger in his shoulder.

We actually seem to be gravitating towards an identity.

I also like how we got off to a fast start.

We are improving. I know losing sucks, but we are going to dominate this league if we can get bigger, faster, and stronger up front on both sides. We also don't have enough dudes up front.

I'd rather be a Bobcat than an Eagle any day and twice on Sundays.

Go Cats

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:04 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:I'll add another positive. Choate is finally running the offense he wants with 2 back sets, power, counter, play action. We lined up in the I and had Newell stuff it on short yardage up the gut. I laughed at 27 trying to tackle him only to get a stinger in his shoulder.

We actually seem to be gravitating towards an identity.

I also like how we got off to a fast start.

We are improving. I know losing sucks, but we are going to dominate this league if we can get bigger, faster, and stronger up front on both sides. We also don't have enough dudes up front.

I'd rather be a Bobcat than an Eagle any day and twice on Sundays.

Go Cats
Everywhere. Every position. Always.
Drill/train 75%; team train/drill 20%; team practice 4%; games <1%.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:36 am

Enjoyed the game. Thought the defense looked good most of the time (loved the fact that Brekke was playing defense when needed) and offense looked great first quarter (both plays called and execution).

Think we are getting better every game. I believe that is all we can ask for along with hoping they are having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 am

An indirect positive is that Weber and UND continue to win. I think Choate has a lot in common with Hill and Schweigert, especially Hill. Both are in their third year and one of them will remain unbeaten this weekend since they play each other in Grand Forks.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:32 pm

I love these threads where we can really talk about the positives about these players and the areas for improvement.

Positives:
1. I love that the defense did get the stops because in past years rather home or away the defense didn't get many stops against this explosive offensive team, and it was hard to watch.
2. I personally loved the offense where there were 3 running backs in the backfield. Not exactly sure the term, but thought we had great success with that and not sure why we didn't stick with it because it sure did seem that Eastern had a hard time stopping it. Lasane is such a hard nosed, tough runner, similar in some ways to Newell, but also did show a little extra burst. I would say on some of those sets it would have been nice to see Pegues in just to see what he could do as he is supposedly incredibly fast.
3. I would agree that the fight this team continues to play with is great! I also appreciate that.
4. Logan Jones is incredible! That one return where it seemed he should have been tackled 2 or 3 times and wasn't brought down was great!

Things to work on:
1. Turnovers clearly were a problem. And not only losing turnovers but not getting any. That has been a problem.
2. To me, taking out Murray when he did, was a move I am still not sure on. I am not a coach or even close to it, but seems like even if Murray was a little shaken after that fumble it would make more sense to put him back in and continue than to replace him.

Even though we have lost, I enjoy watching the fight of this team. Players like Newell, Brekke, and Flynn exemplify the heart and soul of this team.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:I love these threads where we can really talk about the positives about these players and the areas for improvement.

Positives:
1. I love that the defense did get the stops because in past years rather home or away the defense didn't get many stops against this explosive offensive team, and it was hard to watch.
2. I personally loved the offense where there were 3 running backs in the backfield. Not exactly sure the term, but thought we had great success with that and not sure why we didn't stick with it because it sure did seem that Eastern had a hard time stopping it. Lasane is such a hard nosed, tough runner, similar in some ways to Newell, but also did show a little extra burst. I would say on some of those sets it would have been nice to see Pegues in just to see what he could do as he is supposedly incredibly fast.
3. I would agree that the fight this team continues to play with is great! I also appreciate that.
4. Logan Jones is incredible! That one return where it seemed he should have been tackled 2 or 3 times and wasn't brought down was great!

Things to work on:
1. Turnovers clearly were a problem. And not only losing turnovers but not getting any. That has been a problem.
2. To me, taking out Murray when he did, was a move I am still not sure on. I am not a coach or even close to it, but seems like even if Murray was a little shaken after that fumble it would make more sense to put him back in and continue than to replace him.

Speaking of turnovers, we had the pick in the first half but the refs called us offsides. When watching on TV I didn't think we were off sides, maybe the angle was better for the ref??? I thought that was a turning point in the game, at least in the first half.
Even though we have lost, I enjoy watching the fight of this team. Players like Newell, Brekke, and Flynn exemplify the heart and soul of this team.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:I love these threads where we can really talk about the positives about these players and the areas for improvement.

Positives:

Things to work on:

Logan Jones!

Like you said, he is fun to watch. I'm surprised the coaches have not tried to incorporate him more in the offense? He kinda reminds me of shawn Johnson, where every time he touches the ball you feel like there is a chance he can take it the distance.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:

Positives:

Things to work on:

Speaking of turnovers, we had the pick in the first half but the refs called us offsides. When watching on TV I didn't think we were off sides, maybe the angle was better for the ref??? I thought that was a turning point in the game, at least in the first half.
I could clearly see the yardline was between the player and the ball, and he never crossed the line. I was very unhappy with that particular call. Not that it would have changed the outcome, but that was brutal.