Defense best effort vs EWU since 2012

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:37 pm

MSU allowed 54 points and 12.3 per play in 2013, 51 and 8.3 in 2014, and 55 and 11.7 in 2015.

Allowed 41 and 7.3 today.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Defense best effort vs EWU since 2012

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Wow. And that's with 3 critical turnovers by the offense too.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Its like they're mastering the difficult stuff first. Frustrating, but encouraging all at once.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:55 pm

TomCat88 wrote:MSU allowed 54 points and 12.3 per play in 2013, 51 and 8.3 in 2014, and 55 and 11.7 in 2015.

Allowed 41 and 7.3 today.
I always like to look at "stops" instead of yards or points. And this D made stops: forced 3 punts, and a couple of FGs, one blocked. I think this EWU offense might be better than any of those other 3 you mentioned. Heck, NDSU gave up 44 (I think) with Kupp hurt.

We did that with freshmen like Woody Brandom, Derek Marks, Marcus Ferriter, Chris Harris, and Damien Washington getting significant snaps. All in all, a very solid performance.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Defense has not been a problem this season. They're not dominant by any means. But they have a solid plan each week. They stick to it. They find things that work and keep coming back to those things. They take appropriate risks at times. The kids generally execute the plan as coached.

We simply cannot score enough points to win in the Big Sky.

We can't get into a consistent groove. We don't build off of what we are doing well. We make mistakes. It looks like our offense is moving at HALF speed! All these problems for various reasons...

Frustrating coming from the last 5-10 years, when offense looked like a well oiled machine most days....even through coordinator and player changes.

Bobcat For Life

Football games are won at the LOS

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 pm

jdevries wrote:Defense has not been a problem this season. They're not dominant by any means. But they have a solid plan each week. They stick to it. They find things that work and keep coming back to those things. They take appropriate risks at times. The kids generally execute the plan as coached.

We can't get into a consistent groove. We don't build off of what we are doing well. We make mistakes. It looks like our offense is moving at HALF speed! All these problems for various reasons...

Frustrating coming from the last 5-10 years, when offense looked like a well oiled machine most days....even through coordinator and player changes.

Bobcat For Life
Yes and that's just the way it goes in sports for some teams. For every team that is in a groove and is getting the breaks, there's one that isn't. MSU is gradually improving in many areas. One of these games it'll all come together. They're close.

toM StUber

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
jdevries wrote:Defense has not been a problem this season. They're not dominant by any means. But they have a solid plan each week. They stick to it. They find things that work and keep coming back to those things. They take appropriate risks at times. The kids generally execute the plan as coached.

Bobcat For Life
Yes and that's just the way it goes in sports for some teams. For every team that is in a groove and is getting the breaks, there's one that isn't. MSU is gradually improving in many areas. One of these games it'll all come together. They're close.
I hope you're right Tom.

Bobcat For Life

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:32 pm

One thing is for sure....we can't seem to catch many of the lucky breaks either.....that EWU offense is potent. Eliminate a couple miscues here and there plus a couple bounces each game and it's a very different season for our Bobcats.

Bobcat For Life

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:35 am

Bobcat For Life
Ok man...

I've been reading your posts for a couple of weeks, and I just gotta ask...exactly what point are you trying to make?

You're harping on the offense. Yes, they aren't good. Thanks for the profound observation. We all see that...you aren't the only one in the stadium. Your point has been acknowledged by numerous posters. Yet you continue making it. What is the end game?

You're obviously dissatisfied with the coaching change. I've seen you say you "support Choate", but it seems more apparent from reading your threads that you feel Cramsey should have gotten the job. He didn't. Bigger news; Choate could get fired tomorrow...and Cramsey wouldn't get the job.

You've pointed out numerous times that Cramsey and Ash would have had this team to 6-7 wins (that's only your opinion, by the way), but you fail to take it any further than that. This leads me to believe you don't feel that Cramsey and Ash would have this team in a title hunt. Isn't that the point?

You've discussed the fact that you--and you aren't alone here--feel the team has plenty of talent. Assuming you're right, then why don't you say that Ash could have won a title with this team?

Generally, you are completely negative. Articulate, grammar friendly, but negative.

What are you so angry about? The losses? Good teams have bad years (how would you like to be a Carolina Panthers fan this year?). In the case of Carolina, it is clear; the whole team is built around one player.

The EXACT same thing is the case with MSU--argue if you like, I know you will--but a decade of BRILLIANT quarterback play camouflaged a lockerroom full of deficiencies. Now we don't have a brilliant QB and we're paying the price. We were left with our pants down when Dakota left.

You and several other posters--who I respect--all have a similar tone...this team was OK last year...now they look like a dumpster fire...and to you that's unacceptable.

Newsflash sir...losing is unacceptable for ALL of us fans. It's even MORE unacceptable to the players and coaches who are living this horror show right now. You aren't breaking new ground being annoyed we're losing.

I am just totally confused by many of the posters here anymore. Is this angry venting in response to what you feel was a poorly handled situation 10 months ago? You may be correct that it was handled poorly, but what's done is done.

Also...if this team gets good next year and great the next, are you going to pat yourself on the back on this board, claim you knew it all along, and act as though you weren't a totally blind detractor for the first 12 months of this coaches tenure here?

This team is rebuilding. Doesn't matter if you THINK they should be or not. They are. So be a "Bobcat for Life" and be supportive and hopeful even during a down year bore from events that you clearly disagree with.

This team, and this school, are great. I know you are an alumnus, and I know you love this school. But incessantly harping on negative point after negative point that we all are AGREEING with is just creating a toxic tone that, frankly, this board has seen enough of this year.

Take a deep breath, help improve the attitude, and be a good fan. Your check for season tickets doesn't entitle you to observe wins. It entitles you to a front row seat in a great stadium watching a great group of kids play a great game. Winning is a byproduct of an effective culture--one that Choate and co. are desperately trying to create with the weight of an angry fan base on their shoulders. Believe me, things aren't going to improve any faster if we're standing outside the athletic complex with torches and pitchforks.

Try to be part of the solution, and put your anger aside, or be up front with what you're really upset with, so the rest of us can address it in the same public forum you are engaging in and we can all move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by CatsNoMatterWhat on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 am

Thank you Catsnmw. Great post!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 am

Articulate and grammar friendly. Haha..that cracked me up....thx 4 the reality check too.

Bobcat For Life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 am

It speaks to what football has become (see Oklahoma vs Texas Tech last night) when you can say a defense played well despite giving up nearly 600 yards.

toM StUber

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:55 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Bobcat For Life
Ok man...

I've been reading your posts for a couple of weeks, and I just gotta ask...exactly what point are you trying to make?

You're harping on the offense. Yes, they aren't good. Thanks for the profound observation. We all see that...you aren't the only one in the stadium. Your point has been acknowledged by numerous posters. Yet you continue making it. What is the end game?

You're obviously dissatisfied with the coaching change. I've seen you say you "support Choate", but it seems more apparent from reading your threads that you feel Cramsey should have gotten the job. He didn't. Bigger news; Choate could get fired tomorrow...and Cramsey wouldn't get the job.

You've pointed out numerous times that Cramsey and Ash would have had this team to 6-7 wins (that's only your opinion, by the way), but you fail to take it any further than that. This leads me to believe you don't feel that Cramsey and Ash would have this team in a title hunt. Isn't that the point?

You've discussed the fact that you--and you aren't alone here--feel the team has plenty of talent. Assuming you're right, then why don't you say that Ash could have won a title with this team?

Generally, you are completely negative. Articulate, grammar friendly, but negative.

What are you so angry about? The losses? Good teams have bad years (how would you like to be a Carolina Panthers fan this year?). In the case of Carolina, it is clear; the whole team is built around one player.

The EXACT same thing is the case with MSU--argue if you like, I know you will--but a decade of BRILLIANT quarterback play camouflaged a lockerroom full of deficiencies. Now we don't have a brilliant QB and we're paying the price. We were left with our pants down when Dakota left.

You and several other posters--who I respect--all have a similar tone...this team was OK last year...now they look like a dumpster fire...and to you that's unacceptable.

Newsflash sir...losing is unacceptable for ALL of us fans. It's even MORE unacceptable to the players and coaches who are living this horror show right now. You aren't breaking new ground being annoyed we're losing.

I am just totally confused by many of the posters here anymore. Is this angry venting in response to what you feel was a poorly handled situation 10 months ago? You may be correct that it was handled poorly, but what's done is done.

Also...if this team gets good next year and great the next, are you going to pat yourself on the back on this board, claim you knew it all along, and act as though you weren't a totally blind detractor for the first 12 months of this coaches tenure here?

This team is rebuilding. Doesn't matter if you THINK they should be or not. They are. So be a "Bobcat for Life" and be supportive and hopeful even during a down year bore from events that you clearly disagree with.

This team, and this school, are great. I know you are an alumnus, and I know you love this school. But incessantly harping on negative point after negative point that we all are AGREEING with is just creating a toxic tone that, frankly, this board has seen enough of this year.

Take a deep breath, help improve the attitude, and be a good fan. Your check for season tickets doesn't entitle you to observe wins. It entitles you to a front row seat in a great stadium watching a great group of kids play a great game. Winning is a byproduct of an effective culture--one that Choate and co. are desperately trying to create with the weight of an angry fan base on their shoulders. Believe me, things aren't going to improve any faster if we're standing outside the athletic complex with torches and pitchforks.

Try to be part of the solution, and put your anger aside, or be up front with what you're really upset with, so the rest of us can address it in the same public forum you are engaging in and we can all move on.

......mic drop......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Andy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Andy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 am

Amen, A-m-e-n, AMEN!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:07 am

lutecat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Bobcat For Life
Ok man...

......mic drop......

Pretty much summed up the current state of bobcatnation with that post.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 am

Common Cat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Bobcat For Life
Ok man...

......mic drop......

Pretty much summed up the current state of bobcatnation with that post.
Can we give that post it's own thread? I have all but stopped posting here. It's unbearable to read what a LOT of newcomers have to say.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:20 am

This post really covers it all. I mean the negativity on this site about this team and coaches has been crazy. This is a great site for the sake of discussing football and the bobcats, but I am not a big fan of it when people start getting negative and even to the point of saying negative things about specific players that work hard for us to be able to go watch them on Saturdays. The give their all for the fans and we should do the same for them no matter how they are doing. It is a down year, but you better believe I will be at the last home game cheering my heart out and watching the others on tv, very likely yelling at the tv lol. With that said, I love the Bobcats no matter what, and I know so many on here have the same feeling.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am

Oh and I did want to mention the defense as well, they did get stops. I went to Eastern the last couple of times we played them there, and I was also at the homes games the last few years. The defense did get stops...when is the last time they actually punted against us in the last 4 years? I know Eastern got there yards, 520 passing yards, which is a lot, but we did get stops and they did get pressure on the quarterback. Eastern is a great team.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:33 am

They'd punted 18 times coming into the game. Punted 3 times against us. Same as Wazzu and NDSU.

The rushing defense was outstanding relative to past years.
2013 - 28-244...8.7
2014 - 31-224...7.2
2015 - 33-257...7.8
**2016 - 29-76...2.6** (freshman DE, soph DE, frosh DT, backup DT (Brownlow), frosh LB, true soph CB)

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:13 am

Yeah I bet if the dline is healthy we turn quite a few of those passing yards into sacks. Gubrud musta wiggled out of 5 or 6 of them. Guys just couldn't quite bring him down.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN