Next year's starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Next year's starters

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:52 am

Not writing the 2016 team off, but thought I'd take a shot at the starters next year.

QB - Murray
RB - Vander
TE - Amos
LT - Mahoney
LG - Gillis
C - Neale
RG - Folsom
RT - Brott
WR - Herbert
WR - Paige
WR - D'Agostino

DE - Fa'anono
DT - Yates
DT - Wright
DE - Collins
LB - Bignell
LB - Hill
LB - McCarthy
CB - Hale
S - Garcia
S - McCabe
CB - Harris

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Next year's starters

Post by jdevries » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 am

Couple names on there have me excited. McCabe, Murray, Brott, Paige, Collins, Bignell, and others. We have talent!

Bobcat For Life

Football games are won at the LOS

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 am

iaafan wrote:Not writing the 2016 team off, but thought I'd take a shot at the starters next year.

QB - Murray
RB - Vander
TE - Amos
LT - Mahoney
LG - Gillis
C - Neale
RG - Folsom
RT - Brott
WR - Herbert
WR - Paige
WR - D'Agostino

DE - Fa'anono
DT - Yates
DT - Wright
DE - Collins
LB - Bignell
LB - Hill
LB - McCarthy
CB - Hale
S - Garcia
S - McCabe
CB - Harris
I'm actually not sold that Vander is coming here yet. . .if coaches wanted it to be a secret then Vander isn't a secret - everyone knows he is available due to the fact he is at JUCO . . . I think it's another player now . . .but no doubt a lot of players returning...

I think Sullivan is the started TE next season though not Amos . . .but everything else seems right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Idk if I can take another year of Garcia starting.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Idk if I can take another year of Garcia starting.
Hadley maybe.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm

An interesting question here is who is in the most danger of losing his starting spot. We have so many returning starters it is crazy. With that said I bet that there are going to be some good battles next spring. Here are a few that I see:

1) D end. We are not very good here in my opinion so I think that no one is safe at that position. We need a pass rusher and I expect that they will be looking to address this next year so if the guys already on the roster don't get a lot better they may look to bring someone in here.

2) Safety - I think that we need to get better at coverage at this position and so this may be an interesting position battle.

3) Wide receiver - I know that we have a lot of guys coming back but we need to get better at this position also and I think that we have a lot of young talent here that will push for a starting position.

4) Running back is an obvious need going into next year. I still think that we have a fair bit of young talent and would not pass that position off as going to a transfer yet.

5) QB - I don't know that the coaches are totally sold on Murray yet. I have yet to hear the coaches talk about Murray like they did Brugman. It is always "he's young and makes a lot of mistakes ... ..." Now this is true and I don't think they are dishing him but still they don't seem very happy to have to start him. We will see. I think that he will start but it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to bring in someone .

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 pm

I would expect to see Lewis Kidd in the mix next year. He is a huge talent that the Cat's need to get some playing time.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Here is an honest question, if they aren't sold on Murray, why did they recruit him? If they really don't want a QB with his athletic ability and style playing, why bring him. I mean I am clearly not complaining because from my perspective he has proven to be able to move the offense down the field. I would agree with that they definitely don't seem sold on him, but I don't see why.

As for other positions, there is a lot of talk about the need for running back. I can see it, but yet don't understand how they can be so high on a player like Pegues, but yet he hasn't played but a couple snaps. So he could definitely be a break out player for us next year if he is as fast so some have mentioned. But other than that not sure what else we have for running back, Logan Jones.

I would also say clear starters in other positions would be McCabe, Bignell, Herbert, I could see Kassis starting, not sure about some of the other receivers, Paige should.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 pm

I also expect to see some drop downs come in next year. Choate has to be scoping out better options that he has right now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:55 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:Here is an honest question, if they aren't sold on Murray, why did they recruit him? If they really don't want a QB with his athletic ability and style playing, why bring him. I mean I am clearly not complaining because from my perspective he has proven to be able to move the offense down the field. I would agree with that they definitely don't seem sold on him, but I don't see why.

As for other positions, there is a lot of talk about the need for running back. I can see it, but yet don't understand how they can be so high on a player like Pegues, but yet he hasn't played but a couple snaps. So he could definitely be a break out player for us next year if he is as fast so some have mentioned. But other than that not sure what else we have for running back, Logan Jones.

I would also say clear starters in other positions would be McCabe, Bignell, Herbert, I could see Kassis starting, not sure about some of the other receivers, Paige should.
I agree with you about Murray. As for running back I am looking forward to seeing Opland and Paige. I also think that Logan could have a much bigger role next year. I really like what I have seen from Hill at LB. He is young and I expect to see big improvement next year. The third spot will be an interesting battle. Corner will also be interesting with Walker gone. I know everyone is talking about Hale and hopefully he will be as good as advertised but the young corners should be fun to see improve. I just hope we can keep the coach. Anyone know if there are any young OL that could push for playing time?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm

If Murray continues to improve he's going to be tough to knock out. I think he'll get the numbers, but he'll need to show he play under pressure. He made a nice comeback against NAU, but didn't quite finish it.

Something worth keeping in mind is Choate stayed with Washington thru its bowl game last year, so he didn't hit the recruiting trail for MSU until January.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Something worth keeping in mind is Choate stayed with Washington thru its bowl game last year, so he didn't hit the recruiting trail for MSU until January.[/quote]

This may hurt his ability to recruit and many coaches would not have stayed by his player like he did. I for one respect him for staying.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm

95bcfb wrote:An interesting question here is who is in the most danger of losing his starting spot. We have so many returning starters it is crazy. With that said I bet that there are going to be some good battles next spring. Here are a few that I see:

1) D end. We are not very good here in my opinion so I think that no one is safe at that position. We need a pass rusher and I expect that they will be looking to address this next year so if the guys already on the roster don't get a lot better they may look to bring someone in here.

2) Safety - I think that we need to get better at coverage at this position and so this may be an interesting position battle.

3) Wide receiver - I know that we have a lot of guys coming back but we need to get better at this position also and I think that we have a lot of young talent here that will push for a starting position.

4) Running back is an obvious need going into next year. I still think that we have a fair bit of young talent and would not pass that position off as going to a transfer yet.

5) QB - I don't know that the coaches are totally sold on Murray yet. I have yet to hear the coaches talk about Murray like they did Brugman. It is always "he's young and makes a lot of mistakes ... ..." Now this is true and I don't think they are dishing him but still they don't seem very happy to have to start him. We will see. I think that he will start but it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to bring in someone .
Good post...I agree especially about DE's. I think Collins will go back to LB unless he puts on 20 lbs. He does everything right, but cannot shed the big OT's. He plays his guts out, but just doesn't have the moves of a Daly or Schreibeis. Daly used to get under the OT and run a tight hoop to get to the QB. Collins gets engaged and can't disengage soon enough.

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm

iaafan wrote:Not writing the 2016 team off, but thought I'd take a shot at the starters next year.

QB - Murray
RB - Vander
TE - Amos
LT - Mahoney
LG - Gillis
C - Neale
RG - Folsom
RT - Brott
WR - Herbert
WR - Paige
WR - D'Agostino

DE - Fa'anono
DT - Yates
DT - Wright
DE - Collins
LB - Bignell
LB - Hill
LB - McCarthy
CB - Hale
S - Garcia
S - McCabe
CB - Harris
I continue to wonder if Hale will ever suit up for us.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:21 am

I believe that after the season, #12 should visit with the coaches during their post season review and switch to the other side of the ball. it doesn't look like he has a path to the 1st team QB position. He could end up being the answer at safeties. Has the pedigree. His older brother was All Big Sky and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins.

TacoCorpEBDB
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TacoCorpEBDB » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:38 am

AFCAT wrote:I also expect to see some drop downs come in next year. Choate has to be scoping out better options that he has right now.
I agree. I bet they "clean house" big time after the season ends because their jobs will be on the line. There are a lot of guys on this roster that are not FCS caliber players. If this is the roster next season prepare to win 4 or 5 games and prepare to have a new head coach.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 am

083190 wrote:I believe that after the season, #12 should visit with the coaches during their post season review and switch to the other side of the ball. it doesn't look like he has a path to the 1st team QB position. He could end up being the answer at safeties. Has the pedigree. His older brother was All Big Sky and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins.
Can't leave talent on the sideline, surprised they haven't let him play qb.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:24 am

083190 wrote:I believe that after the season, #12 should visit with the coaches during their post season review and switch to the other side of the ball. it doesn't look like he has a path to the 1st team QB position. He could end up being the answer at safeties. Has the pedigree. His older brother was All Big Sky and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins.
I wasn't aware of this. Are you sure you got the right number? I like the idea though.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:37 am

95bcfb wrote:An interesting question here is who is in the most danger of losing his starting spot. We have so many returning starters it is crazy. With that said I bet that there are going to be some good battles next spring. Here are a few that I see:

I believe rs freshman de Ferriter has shown great potential.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:08 am

https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/789870542828343296

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."