Improved Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Improved Defense

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am

A big part of the defensive improvements this year have been because of a few position changes in the offseason. Moving Grant Collins to the Buck end. Letting Fletcher Collins take over the MLB spot so he can be the thumper he is. Moving Tavon Dodd to defensive back. Permanently moving Zach Wright to defensive tackle. All moves have helped in a positive way thus far. I also realized that we have true or redshirt fresman playing at every level of the defense (and offense). Marcus Ferriter and Derek Marks at defensive end, Josh Hill at Will Linebacker, and Damien Washington at cornerback (secondary). These are just the guys who have earned legitimate rotational playing time on defense. Here are a few videos Parker posted from the UND game:
https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/781254379219353601 https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/781254817410912256 Like Colter said last week on his preview show, any kind of defense can work. The differences I have seen so far are simple: improved technique, improved alignment, and improved mentality on defense. The "coach" speak that some of you didn't like with Ash ("Put a hat on a hat" or "Everyone doing their 1/11th") were cliches but the problem was that Ash's final few defenses didn't consistently put a hat on a hat or do their 1/11th. Four games into this season, this team is doing just that. Do I still think our safeties are suspect in the pass game? Yes I do. But our run defense is night and day different from last year (though Olivera gave it to us last week, especially in the 4th quarter) and our corners are playing the best they've had in years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Improved Defense

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:A big part of the defensive improvements this year have been because of a few position changes in the offseason. Moving Grant Collins to the Buck end. Letting Fletcher Collins take over the MLB spot so he can be the thumper he is. Moving Tavon Dodd to defensive back. Permanently moving Zach Wright to defensive tackle. All moves have helped in a positive way thus far. I also realized that we have true or redshirt fresman playing at every level of the defense (and offense). Marcus Ferriter and Derek Marks at defensive end, Josh Hill at Will Linebacker, and Damien Washington at cornerback (secondary). These are just the guys who have earned legitimate rotational playing time on defense. Here are a few videos Parker posted from the UND game:
https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/781254379219353601 https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/781254817410912256 Like Colter said last week on his preview show, any kind of defense can work. The differences I have seen so far are simple: improved technique, improved alignment, and improved mentality on defense. The "coach" speak that some of you didn't like with Ash ("Put a hat on a hat" or "Everyone doing their 1/11th") were cliches but the problem was that Ash's final few defenses didn't consistently put a hat on a hat or do their 1/11th. Four games into this season, this team is doing just that. Do I still think our safeties are suspect in the pass game? Yes I do. But our run defense is night and day different from last year (though Olivera gave it to us last week, especially in the 4th quarter) and our corners are playing the best they've had in years.
I think one of the biggest reasons for the improvement, besides technique and tackling, is the addition of Walker at CB. Having a shutdown corner makes everything easier on defense.

Run defense is definitely improved this year, but I'm not completely sold that it's great yet. We shut down Santiago by keying on him, but Oliviero averaged 8.4 ypc! Even if you take out the 60 yard TD at the end, he still had well over 5 ypc. The good news is that I don't think we play anybody else that runs as much as UND.

Next big test will be NAU vs. our safeties in pass coverage.

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:29 pm

McCabe is who I am most surprised and impressed with so far....

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:53 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:McCabe is who I am most surprised and impressed with so far....
Has improved against the pass and been a stalwart in the run game. One of the best run defending safeties in the Big Sky.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:McCabe is who I am most surprised and impressed with so far....
Has improved against the pass and been a stalwart in the run game. One of the best run defending safeties in the Big Sky.
Yes, his play cannot be overstated. He is plugged the gap and wrapped up many times.
Last edited by CelticCat on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:46 pm

He reminds me a bit of Ryan Force, in that he can come up to the line and thump you. Force was also very good in the passing game so if McCabe can continue to work on that, he could be one of the better safeties we've had in the post-Kramer era. Bethley, Craney, Rider, and Retoriano although I think only Bethley was an Ash recruit?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:16 pm

For me, the most surprised I was in the shift in positions was Tavon Dodd to Corner. I didn't really see that coming, but love the change. I mean on special teams he flies down the field and he hits hard! When he did get in at corner against Western Oregon, he showed he can hit and tackle, been happy with that change for sure. Also happy to see some of these young guys getting experience now, think that can only be helpful down the road.

I would agree having a shut down corner is always helpful, and John Walker has been that. But I would like to add, that Bryson Keeton was great the last couple of years, and don't think he got a lot of credit for what he did on the defense, and look where he is at now. He is on a practice squad for the Jets. I know he got picked on a lot and wasn't always the perfect shut down corner, but he was good. Yes, John Walker though is a shut down corner and great player and we are lucky to have him.

I would also agree on McCabe, his improvement has been impressive! Love watching him play. Also have to say I think if Jessie Clark played more at Buck he would get to the quarterback a lot more, he has speed on the edge.

All and all the defense is much improved, now our offense just needs to figure some things out.

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:34 pm

It's fun to see them come onto the field again. I really enjoy watching them play right now.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:24 pm

nutman wrote:It's fun to see them come onto the field again. I really enjoy watching them play right now.
This!!!!

I actually get excited to ring the bell again. They are kicking ass

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:48 pm

CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Yes, his play cannot be overstated. He is plugged the gap and wrapped up many times.
If I remember correctly, he had an knee injury first game of the season last year and was out multiple weeks so we didn't near as much of him. This hear he is healthy and it is really showing...love watching him.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!