WAC/emails

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: WAC/emails

Post by griz5700 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 am

I'm all for it. Change is good. I'm so sick of the bsc.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

ameriCATS
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ameriCATS » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 am

I think that the Power 5 will split from the Group of 5 so MSU, UM and other higher level FCS schools need to position themselves so they continue to stay at the "second level" of Division 1. With this change I think that this new level will want to create more regional conferences to cut down on travel and expenses. Because of this MSU and UM are more attractive candidates than most FCS schools and a few of the Group of 5 schools. The fact that we come as a pair is a plus in terms of conferences looking to expand maintaining an even number. I think with more scholarships MSU is definitely a more attractive and desirable place to play then other schools in this lower-FBS/Upper FCS range and will help us recruit athletes that will keep us competitive.

Red White, Blue and Gold. Freedom and Football favor the bold

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:42 am

In the current format, I think a move up is a bad idea. If the Power 5 do something different I wouldn't be surprised if MSU was courted by multiple conferences.

I'm leery about growing the program too much. I don't think the in-state talent can support that many more kids, and quite a few of the marginal in-state kids wouldn't be able to play at a higher level. I don't see that getting any better any time real soon either. A lot of parents are hesitant to let their kids play football in the first place anymore, so I wonder about the future of football in general. Combined enrollment at MHSA member schools is down 17% since 1995 (per a memo from the MHSA this month). I'm worried about having enough quality Montana kids to play for all the teams in Montana as it is. We've beaten this one to death on here, but I think most of us agree that in-state kids need to be the heart and soul of a program, and I believe trying to expand rosters AND raise the talent bar to an unreachable level for a lot of Montana kids is a scary proposition.

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:29 pm

This is a terrible idea, and will never happen. What is the point of playing in a crap FBS conference that would never compete for a championship. We play in one of the biggest if not the biggest FCS conference that brings excitement and challenges in the playoffs each year. People/fans want to see the teams make the playoffs and compete in good games, not just win a few FBS games and never have a chance to make the 4 team playoff. Trade a 16 team playoff to maybe play in one crappy toilet bowl? COME ON MAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

rtb

Post by rtb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:40 pm

This is what we need!!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26501

:coffee:

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image