More Kassis

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

More Kassis

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:18 am

I thought he was the best offensive player on the field for MSU. He caught three passes on three straight plays in the first half, but didn't get another thrown his way until the 55-yarder. He was open a lot. He's very polished in route running and looks like a pro out there. He needs to be on the field and targeted a lot more.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: More Kassis

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:19 am

iaafan wrote:I thought he was the best offensive player on the field for MSU. He caught three passes on three straight plays in the first half, but didn't get another thrown his way until the 55-yarder. He was open a lot. He's very polished in route running and looks like a pro out there. He needs to be on the field and targeted a lot more.
This x1000.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am

I agree. He's very slippery and tends to get open. I felt like he might have been our best receiver for the game on Saturday. If only he hadn't stepped out of bounds on that sideline throw.... :(

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 am

Something that has really limited MSU in the last year few years, IMO, is the ability for a WR to make people miss in space. When's the last time we had a WR who could get YAC on a consistent basis... Akpla?

We have some speed, but our speed is straight line. Paige is a burner but not a great route runner and certainly not a guy who is going to make a ton of people miss.

D'Agostino is a good route runner and came make a few people miss, but doesn't have the speed to get very far. Same with Herbert.

If Kassis can step up and actually turn some 5 yard completions into 30 yard ones, that will bring a whole new element to our offense. He looked good!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am

CelticCat wrote:Something that has really limited MSU in the last year few years, IMO, is the ability for a WR to make people miss in space. When's the last time we had a WR who could get YAC on a consistent basis... Akpla?

We have some speed, but our speed is straight line. Paige is a burner but not a great route runner and certainly not a guy who is going to make a ton of people miss.

D'Agostino is a good route runner and came make a few people miss, but doesn't have the speed to get very far. Same with Herbert.

If Kassis can step up and actually turn some 5 yard completions into 30 yard ones, that will bring a whole new element to our offense. He looked good!
Is Gates injured? I haven't noticed him playing at all lately. Two years ago as freshmen, Gates and Paige both showed flashes of being really dynamic weapons. I know that Paige had some big plays last year, but it just doesn't seem like either one of them has really fulfilled the potential that they displayed back in 2014, for whatever reason.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

John K wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Something that has really limited MSU in the last year few years, IMO, is the ability for a WR to make people miss in space. When's the last time we had a WR who could get YAC on a consistent basis... Akpla?

Is Gates injured? I haven't noticed him playing at all lately. Two years ago as freshmen, Gates and Paige both showed flashes of being really dynamic weapons. I know that Paige had some big plays last year, but it just doesn't seem like either one of them has really fulfilled the potential that they displayed back in 2014, for whatever reason.
Gates might not be on the team anymore, according to HiLine Bobcat. Said he saw him in the stands supposedly.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am

VimSince03 wrote:
John K wrote:

Gates might not be on the team anymore, according to HiLine Bobcat. Said he saw him in the stands supposedly.
I wondered it is the other Gates he may have seen, Morris?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:49 am

I thought I saw #19 a couple times on TV when the offense talks before they go in?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:28 pm

I wonder if, and not bashing Ash, but was the fact that we played Paige as a freshmen because he was such a burner, bad for his development. All that was asked of Paige was to run fast. If he hadn't needed to be used as a true freshmen, would we have developed his route-running skills. Obviously Kassis is a true freshman where those skills are already developed.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:33 pm

lutecat wrote:I wonder if, and not bashing Ash, but was the fact that we played Paige as a freshmen because he was such a burner, bad for his development. All that was asked of Paige was to run fast. If he hadn't needed to be used as a true freshmen, would we have developed his route-running skills. Obviously Kassis is a true freshman where those skills are already developed.
Paige fit Cramsey's scheme and worked in his offense as a true freshman because he was a burner. New scheme means Justin will have to keep developing.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm

First of all, Kassis is really good! Love watching him. Second, Gates is still on the team...I saw him on the sideline dressed out but he has been injured.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi line bobcat is mistaken, Gates was dressed on Saturday.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 pm

There should be at least 1 screen to Kassis per drive, and probably more. And in the right coverage a 5 yard curl just like the one he turned into a 55 yarder on Saturday.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:15 am

It seems Gates is improving because he was dressed out this week, although he wasn't against Western Oregon. I imagine he will get some playing time this week. Another player that would add a speed dimension, from what I have heard, is Anthony Pegues. Get him in the game, run some screens and plays for him, see what he can do. I don't see how that can hurt anything, as it does seem Brekke has lost a step in the speed department. Or for that matter we know what Logan Jones can do so give him a shot. Give these others guys a chance!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 am

bobcatfan4life wrote:It seems Gates is improving because he was dressed out this week, although he wasn't against Western Oregon. I imagine he will get some playing time this week. Another player that would add a speed dimension, from what I have heard, is Anthony Pegues. Get him in the game, run some screens and plays for him, see what he can do. I don't see how that can hurt anything, as it does seem Brekke has lost a step in the speed department. Or for that matter we know what Logan Jones can do so give him a shot. Give these others guys a chance!

I totally agree with Pegues. I'd love to see the Cats pound Newell inside and then hit the opposition with Pegues and that 4.35 speed he has. Logan also needs to get some snaps.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote:It seems Gates is improving because he was dressed out this week, although he wasn't against Western Oregon. I imagine he will get some playing time this week. Another player that would add a speed dimension, from what I have heard, is Anthony Pegues. Get him in the game, run some screens and plays for him, see what he can do. I don't see how that can hurt anything, as it does seem Brekke has lost a step in the speed department. Or for that matter we know what Logan Jones can do so give him a shot. Give these others guys a chance!

I totally agree with Pegues. I'd love to see the Cats pound Newell inside and then hit the opposition with Pegues and that 4.35 speed he has. Logan also needs to get some snaps.
+1 for Logan. He has great speed and deceptive run power.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:04 pm

We definitely need some speed in the backfield right now. Even if it just means catching some passes.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Speed is needed, and right now other than Kassis we don't seem to have much on the field. Paige is fast but other than a couple long passes haven't gotten too him much. We have speed options, that is why I don't understand why not use them. Other than Gates being injured...it makes no sense why you don't put in Logan Jones or Pegues, I wouldn't say you need to take out Newell either, but put in the speed. For that matter, it doesn't have to be a straight running play but run some misdirection or screens with these speed guys and see what they can do.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:40 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:Speed is needed, and right now other than Kassis we don't seem to have much on the field. Paige is fast but other than a couple long passes haven't gotten too him much. We have speed options, that is why I don't understand why not use them. Other than Gates being injured...it makes no sense why you don't put in Logan Jones or Pegues, I wouldn't say you need to take out Newell either, but put in the speed. For that matter, it doesn't have to be a straight running play but run some misdirection or screens with these speed guys and see what they can do.
I think they need to just start rotating in players in the backfield outside of Newell and see who gets hot. Brekke definitely looks a bit slower but he can still get rolling. We've seen flashes. I don't think any of our rushers behind Newell are volume rushers so swapping them out and keeping them all fresh seems like a solid route to take. Hell we could even have 3 or 4 back sets and have Brekke/Newell/James shift to an h-back/TE position or move Brekke/Jones/Pegues out to the slot.

Also Kassis! More Kassis!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Yes More Kassis! And more rotation, giving these other guys opportunities can't hurt anything. Isn't that what they are there for? At least to change things up a bit. I mean speed can only improve the offense and more options wouldn't hurt anything.