Should Ben Folsom start?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

goat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Should Ben Folsom start?

Post by goat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:25 am

Dave Dickenson is from Montana. He was pretty good

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:30 am

goat wrote:Dave Dickenson is from Montana. He was pretty good
UM has had a few pretty good QB's who were Montana natives, Dave Dickenson, Grady Bennett, John Edwards, Andrew Selle, just to name a few.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Yeah and I am sure Brock Osweiler, Matt Kegel, and Ryan Leaf would have all been great if they had stayed in state too. Bad argument

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Should Folsom start? Perhaps. Will he? No.

I think Choate is phenomenal and the turn around with the defense has been great. Will he be loyal to a fault with Bruggman? It looks like it. Hopefully he knows best and Bruggs is really our best option or better yet Bruggman turns things around and becomes a serviceable QB.

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:42 pm

John K wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
iaafan wrote:If not start, should he go in as soon as Bruggman falters? One thing Folsom has that not too many have acknowledged (actually no one is acknowledging anything about him) is good wheels. He ran for 597 yards as a senior at over 6.0 yards a pop. Didn't throw it a lot, but he was effective with over 10 yards per attempt and an 8:1 td/int ratio.

Bruggman on the other hand has progressed negatively since his junior year in high school. His completion pct dropped from 60% to 55%, he td/int ratio went from a whopping 18.5:1 to 4.1:1 and his ypa went from 9.6 down to 8.6. His Scottsdale JC numbers got better as the season progressed, but were never much above average.

I expect Bruggman will be under center this Saturday and this is a team he should do well against. If he isn't clicking right away I would think Folsom gets a look. It's the last chance for MSU to find something on offense before the schedule becomes very difficult. I don't think they can stick with Bruggman unless he snaps back into his HS junior year form.
Not no, but hell no! Other than Paul Dennehy, (sorry Compson) I can't think of a single Montana developed quarterback who had done a damn thing at MSU. My opinion, and it's just my opinion and I'm more than happy to share with a few folks, Murray ought to have played the entire second half of the North Dakota game. Let him run the damn offense, audible and play the game. Messingham will eventually accept the kid understands the game and has a better command of those two things required to have more points than who you're playing: ball control and clock management than he does, actually.
So Folsom should not even be given a chance, just because he's a Montana native, and we haven't had many Montana natives excel for us at the QB position over the last 40 years or so? That makes absolutely zero sense. It also makes absolutely zero sense for you to dis Rob Compson, who is in 3rd or 4th place in virtually all of MSU's career passing stats, behind only Bradley, Lulay, and McGhee. I don't mean to take anything away from Paul Dennehy. He was a great player, and of course we all know that he won a NC. In today's game though, where you have to be a passer first and a runner 2nd, I would take Compson over Dennehy any day of the week. He was highly underrated during his career, and he came within 22 seconds of being the guy who broke the streak against UM, four years before Lulay finally got the monkey off our back. To say that Compson "didn't do a damn thing at MSU" is a ridiculous statement. I'm not saying that Folsom should start next Saturday at Sac, but to say that he shouldn't start (or at least get some playing time) just because he's a Montana native is equally ridiculous.

Boom, Mic Drop. I agree with the previous comment. It is ignorant and completely incorrect to say Montana hasnt produced QB's that could start. Bruggman has been given his chances to shake the webs off. I think he has talent, but is not refined at all right now and is only losing confidence being thrown back in there for another turnover. He is eyeing his receivers, holding the ball much too long, and floating passes to the inside that should be thrown past the receiver to the outside. He isnt reading his second and third reads most of the time at all. Most plays you can see directly who he is going to and is not pulling the d backs off at all with his eyes and shoulders. Murray as well is not a starter yet, but i wont go as far as say he shouldnt rotate in with Folsom. I think they give Folsom more reps this week, Murray will be given the same as he has since game one as he is a different type of QB right now, and come gametime it may be good to at least let Folsom take a few series. QB's in D1 came to play football, and i would hope are not worried they will be put in as a young QB. They want to be put in, they want to prove themselves, and if they make a mistake they want to fix it. Give Folsom a chance to rotate through and hell maybe it will allow Bruggman to take a deep breath and work through some things he clearly is struggling with.

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Paul Dennehy and who else has performed in a Cat uniform? The kid from Great Falls in the mid 90s had a decent run and I think twice if the Cats would have won the last regular season game during his time at MSU the Cats would have won the Conference. I'm simply saying just because Folsom is from Montana is not a reason to start him. The Griz have had decent luck with Montana kids at quarterback but we haven't.

Why don't y'all start counting how many Montana kids are on the Cat and Griz rosters for a couple of weeks?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:37 pm

John K wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
iaafan wrote:If not start, should he go in as soon as Bruggman falters? One thing Folsom has that not too many have acknowledged (actually no one is acknowledging anything about him) is good wheels. He ran for 597 yards as a senior at over 6.0 yards a pop. Didn't throw it a lot, but he was effective with over 10 yards per attempt and an 8:1 td/int ratio.

Bruggman on the other hand has progressed negatively since his junior year in high school. His completion pct dropped from 60% to 55%, he td/int ratio went from a whopping 18.5:1 to 4.1:1 and his ypa went from 9.6 down to 8.6. His Scottsdale JC numbers got better as the season progressed, but were never much above average.

I expect Bruggman will be under center this Saturday and this is a team he should do well against. If he isn't clicking right away I would think Folsom gets a look. It's the last chance for MSU to find something on offense before the schedule becomes very difficult. I don't think they can stick with Bruggman unless he snaps back into his HS junior year form.
Not no, but hell no! Other than Paul Dennehy, (sorry Compson) I can't think of a single Montana developed quarterback who had done a damn thing at MSU. My opinion, and it's just my opinion and I'm more than happy to share with a few folks, Murray ought to have played the entire second half of the North Dakota game. Let him run the damn offense, audible and play the game. Messingham will eventually accept the kid understands the game and has a better command of those two things required to have more points than who you're playing: ball control and clock management than he does, actually.
So Folsom should not even be given a chance, just because he's a Montana native, and we haven't had many Montana natives excel for us at the QB position over the last 40 years or so? That makes absolutely zero sense. It also makes absolutely zero sense for you to dis Rob Compson, who is in 3rd or 4th place in virtually all of MSU's career passing stats, behind only Bradley, Lulay, and McGhee. I don't mean to take anything away from Paul Dennehy. He was a great player, and of course we all know that he won a NC. In today's game though, where you have to be a passer first and a runner 2nd, I would take Compson over Dennehy any day of the week. He was highly underrated during his career, and he came within 22 seconds of being the guy who broke the streak against UM, four years before Lulay finally got the monkey off our back. To say that Compson "didn't do a damn thing at MSU" is a ridiculous statement. I'm not saying that Folsom should start next Saturday at Sac, but to say that he shouldn't start (or at least get some playing time) just because he's a Montana native is equally ridiculous.
I for one don't understand your disdain for Paul Dennehy. I don't get it. You cherry pick and misquote far too much and there I go again, wasting my time replying to something you posted. Twist and turn it any way you like. Compson had a nice career and I really believe if his offensive coordinator would have played Sonny or Cliff ball in the second half of several games he would have attained what Dennehy did in fact accomplish. The next three or four years will be fascinating to observe. And I stand by my thoughts that Folsom ought not jump two kids on the depth chart.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:38 pm

John K wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I for one don't understand your disdain for Paul Dennehy. I don't get it. You cherry pick and misquote far too much and there I go again, wasting my time replying to something you posted. Twist and turn it any way you like. Compson had a nice career and I really believe if his offensive coordinator would have played Sonny or Cliff ball in the second half of several games he would have attained what Dennehy did in fact accomplish. The next three or four years will be fascinating to observe. And I stand by my thoughts that Folsom ought not jump two kids on the depth chart.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Paul Dennehy and who else has performed in a Cat uniform? The kid from Great Falls in the mid 90s had a decent run and I think twice if the Cats would have won the last regular season game during his time at MSU the Cats would have won the Conference. I'm simply saying just because Folsom is from Montana is not a reason to start him. The Griz have had decent luck with Montana kids at quarterback but we haven't.

Why don't y'all start counting how many Montana kids are on the Cat and Griz rosters for a couple of weeks?
No one was saying that Folsom should start just because he's from Montana, but you seemed to be saying he shouldn't start because of that reason. And I didn't mean to knock Dennehy at all. He led MSU to a NC after all, and I acknowledged that. You seemed to be belittling Compson's career, saying that we haven't had a decent QB from Montana since Dennehy, and I just pointed out that if you look at the record books, it's obvious that Compson had a damn fine career. As for the last sentence above, what does the number of Montana kids on the current rosters for the Cats or Griz have to do with this discussion?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:54 pm

John K wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:Paul Dennehy and who else has performed in a Cat uniform? The kid from Great Falls in the mid 90s had a decent run and I think twice if the Cats would have won the last regular season game during his time at MSU the Cats would have won the Conference. I'm simply saying just because Folsom is from Montana is not a reason to start him. The Griz have had decent luck with Montana kids at quarterback but we haven't.

No one was saying that Folsom should start just because he's from Montana, but you seemed to be saying he shouldn't start because of that reason. And I didn't mean to knock Dennehy at all. He led MSU to a NC after all, and I acknowledged that. You seemed to be belittling Compson's career, saying that we haven't had a decent QB from Montana since Dennehy, and I just pointed out that if you look at the record books, it's obvious that Compson had a damn fine career. As for the last sentence above, what does the number of Montana kids on the current rosters for the Cats or Griz have to do with this discussion?
In this thread, you admit Dennehy accomplished a great deal. I'm not going to waste my time (or yours) and dig up a number of threads where you openly belittle all Paul accomplished on the field for whatever reason. As I stated, I don't get it. I admit Compson had a decent career and I believe it would have been much better if McElwaine had not been the offensive coordinator. He'll quite possibly never understand the concept of ball control and clock management but you have to understand where he played.

I still don't see any rational reason for this thread suggesting the third string quarterback ought to jump the two ahead of him on the depth chart. None.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 am

Cat Grad wrote:
John K wrote:

In this thread, you admit Dennehy accomplished a great deal. I'm not going to waste my time (or yours) and dig up a number of threads where you openly belittle all Paul accomplished on the field for whatever reason. As I stated, I don't get it. I admit Compson had a decent career and I believe it would have been much better if McElwaine had not been the offensive coordinator. He'll quite possibly never understand the concept of ball control and clock management but you have to understand where he played.

I still don't see any rational reason for this thread suggesting the third string quarterback ought to jump the two ahead of him on the depth chart. None.
Take another look at the depth chart, Folsom is our #2, not Murray.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 am

Cat Grad wrote:

Cat Grads comments above might be one of the dumbest ever. Don't start Folsom because he is from Montana??? That is ridiculous. And as many others pointed out, Folsom is number 2 on the depth chart.