Bruggman needs to take a seat

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Bruggman needs to take a seat

Post by basincat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 am

mslacatfan wrote:I hate calling out players, but holy crap....

Lets just call a spade a spade, this guy is terrible. There is no way that he is the best option to start.

Would love to see what Folsom could do (Murray is not ready, and probably should have redshirted, but I would also rather see him over bruggman). It is basically impossible to be any worse than Bruggman, so why not at least develop the younger guy (Folsom), who from what I have heard is AT LEAST a bit of a dual threat QB.... So he could bring SOMETHING to the table... Bruggman brings NOTHING.

Again, hate calling the guy out, but we are 4 games in and to me he has looked worse each game. Time for a change.

With even AVERAGE QB play through the first 4 games the cats would be 4-0 right now, easy.

This is spot on. You absolutely have to see what you have behind him. He brings nothing to the table right now. He doesn't even manage the game, because he can't take care of the ball. Stares down receivers, doesn't see the coverage and his throwing motion takes forever. I only had to see Folsom throw a couple times last week to know that you have to at least give him a shot. And he had a 25 yard run, which Bruggman clearly can't do either. Until you give a guy a chance in a game you don't know. And clearly Bruggman can't handle it. They can't be worse, and if they are, then go back to Bruggman. Bottom line, get the guys behind him in and see what they can do. Good high school quarterbacks would have looked better yesterday.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 am

I know most of Bobcatnation wants to put this all on Bruggman and like I said, 15 of 36 is 15 of 36. But yesterday I saw an ENTIRE offense that lacked a legitimate playmaker to step up other than Chad (and he had a very crucial fumble lost). The QB play needs to improve but lets maybe talk a little bit about the receivers. Erase the overthrows because those are on Bruggman and timing but I think a player that needs to be held a little more accountable is Mitch Herbert. He is supposed to be our go-to guy, the player that can make the contested catch when covered. Right now, he is simply not doing enough at his position. Corners are winning battles against him this year and right now he looks like a possession receiver to me. There was again a throw in the endzone that was put up their for Mitch and the corner defended it out of his hands. But Mitch needs to catch that ball and use his body a little more. He needs to help out his quarterback in my opinion. I thought the offense line played well against the front seven of UND yesterday but then a few bad snaps and two costly false start penalties put us immediately in 1st (or 2nd) and long situations. Then there were some bad drops yesterday that need to be mentioned as well. Bruggman continues to be my #1 concern (the defensive ends proved to me that they can hold up yesterday) but this offense needs to stop digging itself into holes or else this will be a long season. As JP stated, it seems to be a domino effect when its not one guy, its the other guy, and so forth. Overall, I thought Messingham called a decent game yesterday (and I thought that before Choate stated it in his press conference). I disagree with putting Murray in there on the same drive Bruggman is opertaing and I also think Murray needs even more chances. Lets start running a real "two-QB" system instead of just flirting with it. Frankly, I think it helps both quarterbacks and it keeps defenses honest.

One thing that most are forgetting as well, UND has a very good defense and deserves credit. Our offense is pretty average but they are a good defensive football team. I liked how physical we played yesterday.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:59 am

VimSince03 wrote:I know most of Bobcatnation wants to put this all on Bruggman and like I said, 15 of 36 is 15 of 36. But yesterday I saw an ENTIRE offense that lacked a legitimate playmaker to step up other than Chad (and he had a very crucial fumble lost).
My thoughts are exactly this! It's the whole offense that's struggling, not just the QB.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am

This is precisely why the # of "stars" a kid had in high school doesn't mean much. See Bruggman for MSU, Phillips for UM.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:09 am

Good post Vim and I'm glad someone is pointing out that even Chad made mistakes yesterday. His failure to get the 2-pt from the one was a play run behind JP Flynn. Game on the line and the two best players on the offense failed to get it done. There's plenty of blame to go around. I agree with you on Messingham. The players did not execute well on offense and they need to be accountable. I believe that if you just blame it on the OC and give the players a pass, they'll continue to fail. At the same time it can't be a rag on the players-fest. The coaches (unlike the fans) need to be able to convey the message of how to improve in a constructive way.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am

Another question - did Justin Paige get hurt? After his long catch, I don't remember seeing him in there. His speed could've helped take the top off of the defense.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am

It seem the Cats are in the same situation that UND was 2 years ago with a new coach, a good defense, and a struggling offense. That was a very close, low-scoring, game as well.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 am

iaafan wrote:Good post Vim and I'm glad someone is pointing out that even Chad made mistakes yesterday. His failure to get the 2-pt from the one was a play run behind JP Flynn. Game on the line and the two best players on the offense failed to get it done. There's plenty of blame to go around. I agree with you on Messingham. The players did not execute well on offense and they need to be accountable. I believe that if you just blame it on the OC and give the players a pass, they'll continue to fail. At the same time it can't be a rag on the players-fest. The coaches (unlike the fans) need to be able to convey the message of how to improve in a constructive way.
And its not like I'm being a Messingham homer because I thought he called a pretty crappy Bryant game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:30 am

jdevries wrote: Jorday Hoy would be our QB if Cramsey were still here.
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

But Choate indicated the type of Offense he wants before hiring the Mess. Not sure if he's familiar with Solmonsonian history here at MSU. It feels like history repeating itself right now.

Yes, IT IS time to press the panic button. Foolish not to. Just foolish. I can't believe the complete flip from last year, O vs D. It's back in time for some of us -- "the D will need to score if we want a W"

Earle Solmonson HC record:
North Dakota State Bison (North Central Conference) (1985–1986)
1985 Div II National Champions, 11-2-1
1986 Div II National Champions, 13-0

**!! YEA, the successful HC who won National Championships EVERY YEAR he's been a HC is now at MSU, bringing his tough-nosed, ground-and-pound style of big man football to Bozeman.**!!

Montana State Bobcats (Big Sky Conference) (1987–1991)
1987 Montana State 1–10 0–8 9th *well, he's rebuilding and needs beef instead of the old west coast O that won us a NC
1988 Montana State 4–7 4–4 T–4th *OK, the rebuilding is showing signs of working, give it a few more years
1989 Montana State 4–7 2–6 T–6th * Well, it takes a few years to get the right guys, and right style
1990 Montana State 4–7 3–5 T–5th *wait a minute, WTF
1991 Montana State 2–9 1–7 T–8th *OMFG, WTF, WTF, WTF
Montana State: 15–40 10–30

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:I know most of Bobcatnation wants to put this all on Bruggman and like I said, 15 of 36 is 15 of 36. But yesterday I saw an ENTIRE offense that lacked a legitimate playmaker to step up other than Chad (and he had a very crucial fumble lost). The QB play needs to improve but lets maybe talk a little bit about the receivers. Erase the overthrows because those are on Bruggman and timing but I think a player that needs to be held a little more accountable is Mitch Herbert. He is supposed to be our go-to guy, the player that can make the contested catch when covered. Right now, he is simply not doing enough at his position. Corners are winning battles against him this year and right now he looks like a possession receiver to me. There was again a throw in the endzone that was put up their for Mitch and the corner defended it out of his hands. But Mitch needs to catch that ball and use his body a little more. He needs to help out his quarterback in my opinion. I thought the offense line played well against the front seven of UND yesterday but then a few bad snaps and two costly false start penalties put us immediately in 1st (or 2nd) and long situations. Then there were some bad drops yesterday that need to be mentioned as well. Bruggman continues to be my #1 concern (the defensive ends proved to me that they can hold up yesterday) but this offense needs to stop digging itself into holes or else this will be a long season. As JP stated, it seems to be a domino effect when its not one guy, its the other guy, and so forth. Overall, I thought Messingham called a decent game yesterday (and I thought that before Choate stated it in his press conference). I disagree with putting Murray in there on the same drive Bruggman is opertaing and I also think Murray needs even more chances. Lets start running a real "two-QB" system instead of just flirting with it. Frankly, I think it helps both quarterbacks and it keeps defenses honest.

One thing that most are forgetting as well, UND has a very good defense and deserves credit. Our offense is pretty average but they are a good defensive football team. I liked how physical we played yesterday.
My thoughts exactly. Bruggman isn't playing well, but outside of a few guys, nobody on the offense is. Of course maybe I'm wrong because I've only watched the games on TV, several posters have been making it sound like guys are running wide open all over the place and Bruggman just isn't finding them. If that is true, then it is more serious than I thought.

Neale is struggling with his shotgun snaps, receivers aren't making plays, Brekke is a complete non-factor, even Newell fumbled the ball that turned into a score, and Bruggman is late with this throws and has struggled with inconsistency. Apparently we don't have anyone outside of Newell and Brekke, I don't think anyone else even got a carry against UND.

Kassis was the only bright spot on offense the entire day.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:04 am

VimSince03 wrote:I know most of Bobcatnation wants to put this all on Bruggman and like I said, 15 of 36 is 15 of 36. But yesterday I saw an ENTIRE offense that lacked a legitimate playmaker to step up other than Chad (and he had a very crucial fumble lost). The QB play needs to improve but lets maybe talk a little bit about the receivers. Erase the overthrows because those are on Bruggman and timing but I think a player that needs to be held a little more accountable is Mitch Herbert. He is supposed to be our go-to guy, the player that can make the contested catch when covered. Right now, he is simply not doing enough at his position. Corners are winning battles against him this year and right now he looks like a possession receiver to me. There was again a throw in the endzone that was put up their for Mitch and the corner defended it out of his hands. But Mitch needs to catch that ball and use his body a little more. He needs to help out his quarterback in my opinion. I thought the offense line played well against the front seven of UND yesterday but then a few bad snaps and two costly false start penalties put us immediately in 1st (or 2nd) and long situations. Then there were some bad drops yesterday that need to be mentioned as well. Bruggman continues to be my #1 concern (the defensive ends proved to me that they can hold up yesterday) but this offense needs to stop digging itself into holes or else this will be a long season. As JP stated, it seems to be a domino effect when its not one guy, its the other guy, and so forth. Overall, I thought Messingham called a decent game yesterday (and I thought that before Choate stated it in his press conference). I disagree with putting Murray in there on the same drive Bruggman is opertaing and I also think Murray needs even more chances. Lets start running a real "two-QB" system instead of just flirting with it. Frankly, I think it helps both quarterbacks and it keeps defenses honest.

Just wanted to comment on your critique of Herbert. There was one pass that I felt he didn't do enough on, that was the interception at the end. He wasn't paying attention and didn't contest the ball. Of course the safety was playing center field watching the QB's eyes and it was a line drive instead of a touch pass but he should have got back to contest. Otherwise he has been working his ass off! He has been open on deep routes and gotten position but Bruggman has failed to deliver a ball that he can use his advantages to win. He needs those touch passes up high. Everything going to him is low and fast which doesn't let him out jump for it. The deep passes have been open for him, as well as Paige and others, and Bruggman is consistently overthrowing them.

I think Bruggman and Messingham have shown flashes of great chemistry when moving to an up-tempo offense but too often that tempo gets disrupted by bringing Murray in or procedure penalties.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am

JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

But Choate indicated the type of Offense he wants before hiring the Mess. Not sure if he's familiar with Solmonsonian history here at MSU. It feels like history repeating itself right now.

Yes, IT IS time to press the panic button. Foolish not to. Just foolish. I can't believe the complete flip from last year, O vs D. It's back in time for some of us -- "the D will need to score if we want a W"

**!! YEA, the successful HC who won National Championships EVERY YEAR he's been a HC is now at MSU, bringing his tough-nosed, ground-and-pound style of big man football to Bozeman.**!!

1987 Montana State 1–10 0–8 9th *well, he's rebuilding and needs beef instead of the old west coast O that won us a NC
1988 Montana State 4–7 4–4 T–4th *OK, the rebuilding is showing signs of working, give it a few more years
1989 Montana State 4–7 2–6 T–6th * Well, it takes a few years to get the right guys, and right style

I have to be honest. This same thought crossed back in my mind too this weekend :)

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:11 am

CelticCat wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Bruggman isn't playing well, but outside of a few guys, nobody on the offense is. Of course maybe I'm wrong because I've only watched the games on TV, several posters have been making it sound like guys are running wide open all over the place and Bruggman just isn't finding them. If that is true, then it is more serious than I thought.

Neale is struggling with his shotgun snaps, receivers aren't making plays, Brekke is a complete non-factor, even Newell fumbled the ball that turned into a score, and Bruggman is late with this throws and has struggled with inconsistency. Apparently we don't have anyone outside of Newell and Brekke, I don't think anyone else even got a carry against UND.

Bruggman has missed at least 8 throws this year to players that were wide open. Like 15 yards from the nearest defender. On a couple he was being rushed but most were overthrows.

LaSane was in jeans Saturday but I don't know why James/Jones/Pegues didn't get some touches. Brekke has lost his mojo. Not sure what's going on there but last year he catches that wheel route I think.

The truth of the matter is that we looked like a team that should have beat ND by two scores. We just couldn't get out of our own way. We had a definite chance to score at the end of the first half but let a good 30 seconds run off of the last minute standing around waiting for a play. We hit big plays but never really took advantage of them until the Kassis throw at the end(I think that might have been the first play they didn't leave a safety deep). Messingham needs to take the sweeps and 5 yards outs out of the game plan or minimize them as they are just too high risk/low reward. Bruggman needs to learn how to throw with accuracy to his left(and if he can't as a junior I don't hold out much hope).

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

I have to be honest. This same thought crossed back in my mind too this weekend :)
These situations are completely unrelated. You recruit guys into your system and by year 3 or 4 it should be "put up or shut up" time. If you panic four weeks into the new regime's season, you are going to have a stressful life. Is offense struggling? Absolutely. But you should also claim that Choate is trying to spice things up a bit with already playing Chris Murray meaning he isn't afraid to be different. Give the coaches a season or else we are no better than the guys over the hill.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:14 am

JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

Wow. Four games into the Choate era and we are comparing to Earle? This isn't Egriz. Let's all step away from the keyboard and put it all in perspective. With just a couple of plays going in another direction, our team is 4-0. We have the makings of a young team with a lot of talent and good coaching. This may not be the year, but we will be a force in the future.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:21 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:30 am

technoCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Bruggman has missed at least 8 throws this year to players that were wide open. Like 15 yards from the nearest defender. On a couple he was being rushed but most were overthrows.

LaSane was in jeans Saturday but I don't know why James/Jones/Pegues didn't get some touches. Brekke has lost his mojo. Not sure what's going on there but last year he catches that wheel route I think.

The truth of the matter is that we looked like a team that should have beat ND by two scores. We just couldn't get out of our own way. We had a definite chance to score at the end of the first half but let a good 30 seconds run off of the last minute standing around waiting for a play. We hit big plays but never really took advantage of them until the Kassis throw at the end(I think that might have been the first play they didn't leave a safety deep). Messingham needs to take the sweeps and 5 yards outs out of the game plan or minimize them as they are just too high risk/low reward. Bruggman needs to learn how to throw with accuracy to his left(and if he can't as a junior I don't hold out much hope).
I normally agree with Vim on most things but not this view on Herbert. He is still our most reliable receiver. He is getting matched with the best corner and ND had some big physical guys. Messingham has to figure out a way to free up Mitch more. The guy can catch a ball thrown five rows into the stands. Our Mr Dependable.

Kassis is going to be a stud and should get lots of time moving forward. Johnny D is a great player but had a tough game. He broke stride on a deep pass that would have been a TD. Looked like TB overthrew but Johhny D clearly slowed up as the ball was launched. The interception/pick was thrown high but I thought it was catchable. It is easy for me to say that as Johnny was dinged up on that play going for the ball. A better pass would have been a reception for sure.

Brekke actually missed a hole on one of his runs. It was strange as he used to find the smallest hole when it opens up. He just went the wrong the way. Maybe he is still not 100%. I would love to see more Pegues. I thought it was very strange we chosen it to redshirt him then not use him at all. Heck, let's give Jones a chance to carry the ball as a change of pace guy.

Regardless, QB is the big concern right now. If we can get some reliable mistake free play at QB, we will win at least 6 games ,maybe even 7 this year.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:49 am

Cataholic wrote:
JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

Wow. Four games into the Choate era and we are comparing to Earle? This isn't Egriz. Let's all step away from the keyboard and put it all in perspective. With just a couple of plays going in another direction, our team is 4-0. We have the makings of a young team with a lot of talent and good coaching. This may not be the year, but we will be a force in the future.
Choate is the best coach we've had in my lifetime. 5 years from now we will dig up this comparison and laugh at how short sighted some of us are.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 am

utucats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

Choate is the best coach we've had in my lifetime. 5 years from now we will dig up this comparison and laugh at how short sighted some of us are.
I agree Choate is the real deal.

Bobcat For Life

Football games are won at the LOS

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:40 pm

jdevries wrote:
utucats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
JDoub wrote:
FIFY

I agree, Mess.

I agree Choate is the real deal.

Bobcat For Life
I'm on board with Choate.

Not on board with The Mess.

Sorry, don't care if it's only been 4 games.

None of our previous 4 OC's showed this poorly after 4 games. Not even close.

Yes, I hope you can all laugh at me by the end of the year. I'm not a knee-jerk guy. What I see on O is evidence of systemic mediocrity, and attitude reflects leadership. Choate is a defense guy, and I agree the best we've had in a long time. He needs to get an offensive counterpart to himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk