Bruggman needs to take a seat

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Bruggman needs to take a seat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:31 pm

I hate calling out players, but holy crap....

Lets just call a spade a spade, this guy is terrible. There is no way that he is the best option to start.

Would love to see what Folsom could do (Murray is not ready, and probably should have redshirted, but I would also rather see him over bruggman). It is basically impossible to be any worse than Bruggman, so why not at least develop the younger guy (Folsom), who from what I have heard is AT LEAST a bit of a dual threat QB.... So he could bring SOMETHING to the table... Bruggman brings NOTHING.

Again, hate calling the guy out, but we are 4 games in and to me he has looked worse each game. Time for a change.

With even AVERAGE QB play through the first 4 games the cats would be 4-0 right now, easy.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bruggman needs to take a seat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:15 pm

To me Briggeman's problem is his time of operation. When he sees the spot he needs to throw to, it takes him twice the operation time of a satisfactory QB to actually deliver the ball. Rather than throwing from his cheek, he draws the ball back and floats it toward the target. He goves the DB watching him a full second or more to react and adjust his coverage and get into position to play the ball. His delivery is JUST TOO SLOW!

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Helcat72 wrote:To me Briggeman's problem is his time of operation. When he sees the spot he needs to throw to, it takes him twice the operation time of a satisfactory QB to actually deliver the ball. Rather than throwing from his cheek, he draws the ball back and floats it toward the target. He goves the DB watching him a full second or more to react and adjust his coverage and get into position to play the ball. His delivery is JUST TOO SLOW!
That was very true on the first(?) drive where had Herbert(?) wide open and by the time he got it there a db that was way out of position nearly intercepted it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:29 pm

mslacatfan wrote:I hate calling out players, but holy crap....

Lets just call a spade a spade, this guy is terrible. There is no way that he is the best option to start.

Would love to see what Folsom could do (Murray is not ready, and probably should have redshirted, but I would also rather see him over bruggman). It is basically impossible to be any worse than Bruggman, so why not at least develop the younger guy (Folsom), who from what I have heard is AT LEAST a bit of a dual threat QB.... So he could bring SOMETHING to the table... Bruggman brings NOTHING.

Again, hate calling the guy out, but we are 4 games in and to me he has looked worse each game. Time for a change.

With even AVERAGE QB play through the first 4 games the cats would be 4-0 right now, easy.
Bruggman was inaccurate all day, but this OC is the one who's terrible. 5 examples.

1. Bruggman finally gets a positive play, throwing down the field for 40+yrds. The very next play,... they sit him down for Murray. Talk about destroying your already shaky QBs confidence!?? Stupid.

2. 1st and goal on the 8. We don't give the ball to Newell 4 times??

3. We get the ball back deep in our own end but we have plenty of time and all 3 time outs to make a drive to go ahead. We only needed a field goal!! OC totally panics and dials up 3 straight deep throws then a punt? Awful...

4. Bruggman plays best in NO HUDDLE. At least 5-6 times in the game, the crowd is nearly booing our own team because we can't get a play call onto the field. Receivers, RBs and QB all look confused waiting for a play call.

5. Ran bootleg play only 1 or 2 times, didnt run play action under center at all. When you have a runner like Newell, the play action should be part of every series!! Ran the jet sweep to Brekke ONCE. These should be staples of our offense. . It builds off our teams strengths? OC seems to view these as gimmick or trick plays used only sparingly???

Im concerned these players don't fit Messinghams style, and he certainly can't keep up with a fast paced game. He's been fired from every job he's ever had FOR GOOD REASON. I'm not convinced Bruggman is as terrible as people are saying. Kid spins a nice ball and had an off day yesterday. We also had some key drops that could have changed the game. So why not run some screens, waggles, boots, drop the ball in the flat for RBs... Help the kid out?? Thats on the OC!!

You don't go from 5th ranked offense in the nation to 150th, just by losing a QB. Look at what Gregorak has done with our defense, with all the same kids!!

It shows a clear SCHEME problem. Choate should consider a change.

Messingham was a BAD hire.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Football games are won at the LOS

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:46 pm

jdevries wrote:

Bruggman was inaccurate all day, but this OC is the one who's terrible. 5 examples.

1. Bruggman finally gets a positive play, throwing down the field for 40+yrds. The very next play,... they sit him down for Murray. Talk about destroying your already shaky QBs confidence!?? Stupid.

3. We get the ball back deep in our own end but we have plenty of time and all 3 time outs to make a drive to go ahead. We only needed a field goal!! OC totally panics and dials up 3 straight deep throws then a punt? Awful...

4. Bruggman plays best in NO HUDDLE. At least 5-6 times in the game, the crowd is nearly booing our own team because we can't get a play call onto the field. Receivers, RBs and QB all look confused waiting for a play call.

5. Ran bootleg play only 1 or 2 times, didnt run play action under center at all. When you have a runner like Newell, the play action should be part of every series!! Ran the jet sweep to Brekke ONCE. These should be staples of our offense. . It builds off our teams strengths? OC seems to view these as gimmick or trick plays used only sparingly???

Im concerned these players don't fit Messinghams style, and he certainly can't keep up with a fast paced game. He's been fired from every job he's ever had FOR GOOD REASON. I'm not convinced Bruggman is as terrible as people are saying. Kid spins a nice ball and had an off day yesterday. We also had some key drops that could have changed the game. So why not run some screens, waggles, boots, drop the ball in the flat for RBs... Help the kid out?? Thats on the OC!!

You don't go from 5th ranked offense in the nation to 150th, just by losing a QB. Look at what Gregorak has done with our defense, with all the same kids!!

Which leads to my preference for Murray. Rachac said last week that during WO he read the defense, called an audible (maybe not even on the game plan) and then executed it. He didn't do well yesterday but I think that was the OC as well bringing him in at a poor time.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:57 pm

exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Which leads to my preference for Murray. Rachac said last week that during WO he read the defense, called an audible (maybe not even on the game plan) and then executed it. He didn't do well yesterday but I think that was the OC as well bringing him in at a poor time.
Murray would already be our QB if Cramsey were still here. Messingham is a power run type guy, trying to force "his style" on a team that was recruited to play a different way. If Cramsey stepped in, next week, we'd put up 30pts" with Murray. Problem is, Messingham is here to stay, and so so is Bruggman. If I were Choate, Id let Mesingham go today. ARMY COULD CALL A SPREAD OFFENSE. While I love Choate and Gregoraks influence on our defense, I am unwilling to wait 3 years for Messingham to get "his kind of player (which I find boring). We have enough talent NOT to be in rebuilding mode....... We could ve winning NOW. . But you have to hire an OC that fits your players. . Messingham is a mess....

Bobcat For Life

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:15 pm

In traffic engineering when you are deciding how much sight distance you need to stop safely, you have what you call PIEV. You could relate it to quarterbacking thusely; Perception, (see the obstacle, receiver), intellection (decide to stop, throw), emotion (start moving toward the brake, start your arm moving), and volition (step on the brake, let the ball go).

Bruggeman has normal perception, maybe a little below normal intellection, but terrible emotion and volition.

Most QB's ready to throw have the ball up by their ear, and snap it off from there. Bruggeman holds the ball at his chest, and when he "emotes" he cocks his arm back and loops it around his shoulder like a baseball pitcher from a full windup. He needs to get rid of the ball like a shorstop deep in the hole!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:19 pm

jdevries wrote:
exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Murray would already be our QB if Cramsey were still here. Messingham is a power run type guy, trying to force "his style" on a team that was recruited to play a different way. If Cramsey stepped in, next week, we'd put up 30pts" with Murray. Problem is, Messingham is here to stay, and so so is Bruggman. If I were Choate, Id let Mesingham go today. ARMY COULD CALL A SPREAD OFFENSE. While I love Choate and Gregoraks influence on our defense, I am unwilling to wait 3 years for Messingham to get "his kind of player (which I find boring). We have enough talent NOT to be in rebuilding mode....... We could ve winning NOW. . But you have to hire an OC that fits your players. . Messingham is a mess....

Bobcat For Life
I honestly don't think Messingham knows what his style is. His playing calling is so inconsistent it's hard to believe he has much of a plan. He certainly isn't power run considering we haven't seen a snap under center in a power run situation yet this year. The 2 point conversion yesterday was a perfect time for 2 tight I form set and we run a counter out of the pistol. Exactly what Cramsey would have called, just out of the gun. It's like Messingham has pieces of 4 playbooks that he's put together and always forgets which portion of the playbook he's in.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Great points about Messingham.... But I think it is both unfortunately. Messingham looks to be absolutely garbage, but there is not one positive thing I could say about Bruggman...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Helcat72 wrote:To me Briggeman's problem is his time of operation. When he sees the spot he needs to throw to, it takes him twice the operation time of a satisfactory QB to actually deliver the ball. Rather than throwing from his cheek, he draws the ball back and floats it toward the target. He goves the DB watching him a full second or more to react and adjust his coverage and get into position to play the ball. His delivery is JUST TOO SLOW!
Yep that is what is happening. +1. It takes the total advantage away from the O and GIVES the D a chance to make a play on every pass play. This can be somewhat fixed with coaching though. They need to work on the timing and assertiveness a lot more. Keep in mind I am sure he is being coached to take care of the ball and that by itself can result in delay and confidence issues. That is where the OC COMES IN and helps the QB out with correct play calling. We need improvement in both areas.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:04 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Bobcat For Life
I honestly don't think Messingham knows what his style is. His playing calling is so inconsistent it's hard to believe he has much of a plan. He certainly isn't power run considering we haven't seen a snap under center in a power run situation yet this year. The 2 point conversion yesterday was a perfect time for 2 tight I form set and we run a counter out of the pistol. Exactly what Cramsey would have called, just out of the gun. It's like Messingham has pieces of 4 playbooks that he's put together and always forgets which portion of the playbook he's in.
TOTALLY agree. MESSINGHAM IS A MESS.

Bobcat For Life

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:17 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Yep that is what is happening. +1. It takes the total advantage away from the O and GIVES the D a chance to make a play on every pass play. This can be somewhat fixed with coaching though. The need to work on the timing and assertiveness a lot more. Keep in mind I am sure he is being coached to take care of the ball and that by itself can result in delay and confidence issues. That is where the OC COMES IN and helps the QB out with correct play calling. We need improvement in both areas.
Exactly. Who knows. In Messingham's defense maybe he is talking to TB about all those things and coaching his ass off...we're just fans having fun guessing whats really going on.

Even if TB is being coached, it still doesn't make up for not running Newell inside the 8, panicking and throwing 3 straight deep balls when we had all 3 time outs and only needed a FG, for not getting play calls on the field in time, for benching your starter right after he makes a great play, or for wasting away the clock at the end of the first half?!?

Players make physical mistakes.. QBs throw picks and have accuracy issues, RBs fumble, OL miss blocks, WR drop balls... Players play as hard as they can..... Coaches on the other hand, get PAID to make sure all of theother mental things NEVER happen. They also get paid to have a game strategy to win the game no matter the situation. Messingham looks like a first year high school coach,.....at best. Maybe we do need a different QB? But judging off the long list of mental mistakes, I would argue we need a different OC.

Bobcat For Life

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Luckily if Messingham is the problem, he's the coach with the least amount of ties to Choate. He won't keep him around if he's a bum.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Luckily if Messingham is the problem, he's the coach with the least amount of ties to Choate. He won't keep him around if he's a bum.
I hope so..... . If we still had Cramsey yesterday, we would have scored 35 and won comfortably.

Bobcat For Life

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Saw post game interview with Choate. He said Messingham called a great game. He said he was dissappointed in the fact we couldn't execute in the passing game and made too many mistakes for that kind of opponent He said we matched ND in every catagory.....except 5 TO's.....end of story.

He didn't mention any names as the causes of the non-execution however!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Remember how long it took to name an oc? And he doesn't have ties to Choate. I'm convinced Choate didn't get his first choice and Mess was a stopgap for a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:01 pm

jdevries wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Bobcat For Life

Bobcat For Life
We should just call him that. Mess, that's how I'll refer to him from now on. Or THE mess. He is way to conservative when he should be aggressive and way to aggressive when he should be a little more conservative. Example being when all we need is a FG, have 3 timeouts left and he's calling deep passes. Get it together dude, stop panicking and matriculate the ball down field near the sidelines, and even in the middle with 3 TOs left and in 4 down territory.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 am

Here are Messingham's team offensive rankings when he was the OC at Iowa State

2012 - 94th
2013 - 97th

Here is the article announcing his firing at Iowa State.
http://www.amestrib.com/sports/football ... oordinator

This paragraph is a little scary.

"Offensive struggles were a season-long problem in 2013. The Cyclones failed to score a point on their opening drive in any game this season. The team went through large periods where it failed to find the end zone and three-and-outs became common. ISU was held to 17 or less points four times in 2013. Roads called out the play calling of Messingham following a 27-21 loss to Iowa in the second contest of the season."

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:14 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Bobcat For Life

Bobcat For Life
We should just call him that. Mess, that's how I'll refer to him from now on. Or THE mess. He is way to conservative when he should be aggressive and way to aggressive when he should be a little more conservative. Example being when all we need is a FG, have 3 timeouts left and he's calling deep passes. Get it together dude, stop panicking and matriculate the ball down field near the sidelines, and even in the middle with 3 TOs left and in 4 down territory.
The mess? Your just being mean now.

Some people need to take a step back with the criticism and borderline insults. No need to be mean. BN is starting to get a little ridiculous the last few days.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 am

lutecat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
jdevries wrote:
exppi wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Bobcat For Life

Bobcat For Life
The mess? Your just being mean now.

Some people need to take a step back with the criticism and borderline insults. No need to be mean. BN is starting to get a little ridiculous the last few days.

Lute: I agree players shouldnt be called out in an online forum. These are students playing a game for their school. They try their best everyday.

These COACHES however are PAID employees of a program that I have donated money to for 25 years. They are D1 Football Coaches, not Little League Volunteers. This makes them 100% fair game for strong criticism when they underperform---no different than Professional Athletes.

Bobcat For Life