Play calling

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Play calling

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Is it really as bland as it seems? I haven't been able to watch a game yet but it sure sounds like it.

The second I read that practice report where Choate yelled at Messingham for being too cute, I knew we were going to flip a 180 on offense this season. I know we don't really have a QB right now but not much is sounding promising.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Play calling

Post by TJMoe82 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:27 pm

CatBlitz wrote:Is it really as bland as it seems? I haven't been able to watch a game yet but it sure sounds like it.

The second I read that practice report where Choate yelled at Messingham for being too cute, I knew we were going to flip a 180 on offense this season. I know we don't really have a QB right now but not much is sounding promising.
It is really tough to play call when your QB isn't accurate, doesn't throw on time and locks on one receiver.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:41 pm

TJMoe82 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:Is it really as bland as it seems? I haven't been able to watch a game yet but it sure sounds like it.

It is really tough to play call when your QB isn't accurate, doesn't throw on time and locks on one receiver.
And your receivers don't really give a damn, and drop the passes that are accurate.

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TJMoe82 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 pm

onceacat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:

And your receivers don't really give a damn, and drop the passes that are accurate.
Fairly certain that 21 passes weren't dropped... Hard to put much blame on the receivers.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 pm

TJMoe82 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:

Fairly certain that 21 passes weren't dropped... Hard to put much blame on the receivers.
I counted at least 6. One by Barth in the end zone. At least on (Sullivan maybe?) where the pass was good & the receiver slowed down. Bruggman isn't playing well at all, but his receiving corps is every bit as bad. Its hard to think that the receivers don't run suicides until every single one of them pukes.

Messingham isn't helping either. We are supposed to be deep at RB, but we have zero ability to do anything other than run dive plays. Or that stupid Herbert to Bruggman pass.

The o-line has been pretty solid, and Newell has been everything you could expect. Everyone else has been awful.
Last edited by onceacat on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 pm

From Wednesday's Rachac column:
Murray is a read-style quarterback who has run the ball 18 times while attempting just seven passes. He surprised his teammates last week when he twice audibled to plays that weren’t in the game plan, but he turned them into positive yards, including one that went for a touchdown.

It left offensive coordinator Courtney Messingham scratching his head.

“There were a couple times where I said, ‘Whoa. I’m not sure if I know what we’re going to run here,’" Messingham said. "But it was a play that we have and he executed (it). He got in the end zone and obviously everybody’s happy when that happens.”
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... bbb0b.html

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TJMoe82 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:00 pm

onceacat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:

I counted at least 6. One by Barth in the end zone. At least on (Sullivan maybe?) where the pass was good & the receiver slowed down. Bruggman isn't playing well at all, but his receiving corps is every bit as bad. Its hard to think that the receivers don't run suicides until every single one of them pukes.
2 or 3 of the drops were poorly thrown balls that ended up hitting the hands. It is undoubtedly the receivers job to catch those, but what were they to do with the other 18?

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Hate to kick a kid when he's down but time to give Murray/Folsom a shot. Time for a change for sure. Play calling is as bad as the qb execution. OC has yet to put together effective consecutive play calling drives for the QB. QB performance is one step above awful. The problem I see is Choates lack of offensive experience keeps him from pulling the trigger on the change at QB. Not sure if we have another play calling type on staff but we need some help there.

Roles are definitely reversed from the offensive and defensive perspectives this year.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:16 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:Hate to kick a kid when he's down but time to give Murray/Folsom a shot. Time for a change for sure. Play calling is as bad as the qb execution. OC has yet to put together effective consecutive play calling drives for the QB. QB performance is one step above awful. The problem I see is Choates lack of offensive experience keeps him from pulling the trigger on the change at QB. Not sure if we have another play calling type on staff but we need some help there.

Roles are definitely reversed from the offensive and defensive perspectives this year.
These kind of posts baffle me. I'm glad you know more than our Head football coach. If he really is that inept in offense to make a decision we better pray. SMH

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:18 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:Hate to kick a kid when he's down but time to give Murray/Folsom a shot. Time for a change for sure. Play calling is as bad as the qb execution. OC has yet to put together effective consecutive play calling drives for the QB. QB performance is one step above awful. The problem I see is Choates lack of offensive experience keeps him from pulling the trigger on the change at QB. Not sure if we have another play calling type on staff but we need some help there.

Armstrong has experience as an OC. Hopefully he can provide some direction...

mboston33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mboston33 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Defense played lights out today. Offense hiding in locker room most of game. Jr. High coach could call better plays. We have no speed on offense at receivers position, RB's or QB. No deep threats and a lousy philosophy. Newell right and left won't pack it. Defense cannot be on the field the whole game, or maybe they should play offense too. We won't win many games with this offense and personnel and coaching. 4 games, 4 bad offensive performances.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Common Cat wrote:

These kind of posts baffle me. I'm glad you know more than our Head football coach. If he really is that inept in offense to make a decision we better pray. SMH
See my post above from Rachac. Messingham seems to be a fish out of water.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 pm

mboston33 wrote:Defense played lights out today. Offense hiding in locker room most of game. Jr. High coach could call better plays. We have no speed on offense at receivers position, RB's or QB. No deep threats and a lousy philosophy. Newell right and left won't pack it. Defense cannot be on the field the whole game, or maybe they should play offense too. We won't win many games with this offense and personnel and coaching. 4 games, 4 bad offensive performances.
Kassis and Paige would like a word. Herbert is fast enough and our TEs are just fine. We just need someone who can go through his progressions or at least pump fake once in a while. Safeties are just sitting back playing center field right now.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Just a respectful question. Early on this season there was talk about adding two-back sets to the offense. And there was talk and excitement this week about having Newell and Brekke both available for the first time. I kept hoping to see them line up in the backfield together -- but I was just not seeing that. I sort of expected that at the goal line. Have two-back sets gone missing from our offense, or am I just missing them?

Siouxfan512
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan512 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:53 pm

You guys aren't the only one's questioning play calling. Our offensive calls left something to be desired. Our calls may be limited due to lack of talent on our O-line, and lack of speed at WR; but that doesn't excuse predictability.

All I can hope is that it improves, including more rollouts, play action passes, and use of our TEs.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm

technoCat wrote:
mboston33 wrote:Defense played lights out today. Offense hiding in locker room most of game. Jr. High coach could call better plays. We have no speed on offense at receivers position, RB's or QB. No deep threats and a lousy philosophy. Newell right and left won't pack it. Defense cannot be on the field the whole game, or maybe they should play offense too. We won't win many games with this offense and personnel and coaching. 4 games, 4 bad offensive performances.
Kassis and Paige would like a word. Herbert is fast enough and our TEs are just fine. We just need someone who can go through his progressions or at least pump fake once in a while. Safeties are just sitting back playing center field right now.
Agreed techno. I don't know what team Boston is watching but our receivers were behind the D 5 times, and that's just the ones that Bruggman threw to them. And 1 was a catch. 4 were overthrown by 3+ yards and 1 was under thrown and should have been a TD. Did you not see the short curl to kassis where he put his foot in the ground and left the defender behind. Yes he got caught 50 yards later but he set up a TD. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our receivers. Dagastino had the 1 go through his hands and it got picked, but that ball was thrown high, again. And he saved Bruggman from a pick the play before!!!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 pm

onceacat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:

To say our receivers really don't give a damn is just plain wrong. Yes, there have been few drops but there has also been defenders all over them. Believe me these kids give a damn. They work their butt off. The QB throws have been mostly off the mark. Time for a change there. Also, Brekke has lost some quickness with his added weight. He gets about 2 yds a carry. Time to throw some others in. Give Logan Jones a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Common Cat wrote: These kind of posts baffle me. I'm glad you know more than our Head football coach. If he really is that inept in offense to make a decision we better pray. SMH
Where did I go wrong for you? Criticizing the play calling? QB effectiveness at running the plays called or the defensive minded coach hoping the problems on offense would go away? I actually have great regard for Coach Choate? I believe however he has put off the inevitable by delaying change at QB.

People who criticize other persons thoughts or opinions without offering alternative theory or ideas, makes me question your motive? If your not seeing a problem or even a potential solution give your head a really good shake! [-(

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:06 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Common Cat wrote: These kind of posts baffle me. I'm glad you know more than our Head football coach. If he really is that inept in offense to make a decision we better pray. SMH
Where did I go wrong for you? Criticizing the play calling? QB effectiveness at running the plays called or the defensive minded coach hoping the problems on offense would go away? I actually have great regard for Coach Choate? I believe however he has put off the inevitable by delaying change at QB.

People who criticize other persons thoughts or opinions without offering alternative theory or ideas, makes me question your motive? If your not seeing a problem or even a potential solution give your head a really good shake! [-(
The problem I had with your OP is your assumption of how Why Choate is operating the way he is. In reality, you, nor I, have any clue to the foundations of his decisions. It's not as cookie cutter as you make it seem.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Play calling had its moments, but execution was aweful