Murray please!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Murray please!!

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:I am never comfortable criticizing kids who are not making money as pros, so I don't intend this to be that.
I'm sure Tyler is a good guy and a good leader but I'm surprised that he has absolutely no zip on the ball.

Murray may not be ready, but the best way to get "ready" is to play against real teams. Not just slinging it around
at practice. Let him have it. What do we have to lose?
Montana State FB needs to go 6-1 over remaining 7 games (4 road/3 home; all BSC games) to have a realistic chance at making FCS playoffs.
Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:My guess: Bruggman gets the start at Sac State and manages a win against the struggling Hornets. Then it's back home against NAU and more bad stuff will happen. I'm afraid we're stuck with him for a while longer. We still might not go anywhere without Bruggman, but we for sure ain't going anywhere with him. That's pretty freaking obvious.
WWKD (what would Kramer do)? Murray would have been the starter after halftime.
This is spot on. You have to keep Bruggman as the starter for the Sac State game to give him some confidence and maybe, just maybe that will propell him to better play against the next 4 games after that. The Game against Sac State may be the only game the Bobcats win in the next 5 weeks. I don't see the Cats beating NAU, Weber, EWU or S. Utah, unless Bruggman gains confidence from a Sac State game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:54 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:I am never comfortable criticizing kids who are not making money as pros, so I don't intend this to be that.
I'm sure Tyler is a good guy and a good leader but I'm surprised that he has absolutely no zip on the ball.

Murray may not be ready, but the best way to get "ready" is to play against real teams. Not just slinging it around
Montana State FB needs to go 6-1 over remaining 7 games (4 road/3 home; all BSC games) to have a realistic chance at making FCS playoffs.
Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?
This team doesn't look much different than the 2002, 2003, and 2006 playoff teams, but I have to admit it doesn't look promising. Even if MSU beats @SAC and Davis, it still needs to go 4-1 against NAU, @WSU, EWU, @So. Utah, @UM. Without big improvements on offense that's very remote. MSU defense hasn't faced a good offense yet, so that could be a problem, too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:59 pm

If you have 2 QBs,... you have none. In the history of football, have you ever seen a championship team with 2 QBs? Ever?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Football games are won at the LOS

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm

jdevries wrote:If you have 2 QBs,... you have none. In the history of football, have you ever seen a championship team with 2 QBs? Ever?

It doesn't seem like the typical 2-QB system to me since Murray hardly plays and seems to have a very limited playbook.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:23 pm

I disagree, he is not ready. I have no problem with plug and play, but to turn the team over to a 17 year old kid is a throw in the towel call, IMO. You all whine like griz nation. We are not the high flying try to out score them offense anymore and I'm ok with that. Defense wins late in the year, when the weather is bad and in close playoff games. I'm not convinced that Murray is the style of QB that Coach wants for four full quarters. I'm not even convinced that we will see these spread formations in the future. I think we are heading to a two back and ball control. I don't see Murray filling that role, but I'm just guessing. Game mgmt. and no mistakes is the player of choice. I found it a strange time to put Murray in yesterday, seemed like we lost momentum after that and it seemed to me that Tyler was settling in and then he has to sit. Bottom line, I like what we are building and refuse to hit the panic button.

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

Another way of saying it would be if the Cats lose 2 more games this season they are out of the playoffs.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:33 pm

superbobcat wrote:I disagree, he is not ready. I have no problem with plug and play, but to turn the team over to a 17 year old kid is a throw in the towel call, IMO. You all whine like griz nation. We are not the high flying try to out score them offense anymore and I'm ok with that. Defense wins late in the year, when the weather is bad and in close playoff games. I'm not convinced that Murray is the style of QB that Coach wants for four full quarters. I'm not even convinced that we will see these spread formations in the future. I think we are heading to a two back and ball control. I don't see Murray filling that role, but I'm just guessing. Game mgmt. and no mistakes is the player of choice. I found it a strange time to put Murray in yesterday, seemed like we lost momentum after that and it seemed to me that Tyler was settling in and then he has to sit. Bottom line, I like what we are building and refuse to hit the panic button.
Bruggman finally connects on a 40+ yard throw and the very next play they sit him??? Talk about an OC not understanding players. Moves like that are just crushing to a kids confidence.

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:35 pm

jdevries wrote:If you have 2 QBs,... you have none. In the history of football, have you ever seen a championship team with 2 QBs? Ever?

I agree but there was Bradshaw and Gilliam for the Steelers back in the 70's

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:46 pm

jdevries wrote:
superbobcat wrote:I disagree, he is not ready. I have no problem with plug and play, but to turn the team over to a 17 year old kid is a throw in the towel call, IMO. You all whine like griz nation. We are not the high flying try to out score them offense anymore and I'm ok with that. Defense wins late in the year, when the weather is bad and in close playoff games. I'm not convinced that Murray is the style of QB that Coach wants for four full quarters. I'm not even convinced that we will see these spread formations in the future. I think we are heading to a two back and ball control. I don't see Murray filling that role, but I'm just guessing. Game mgmt. and no mistakes is the player of choice. I found it a strange time to put Murray in yesterday, seemed like we lost momentum after that and it seemed to me that Tyler was settling in and then he has to sit. Bottom line, I like what we are building and refuse to hit the panic button.
Bruggman finally connects on a 40+ yard throw and the very next play they sit him??? Talk about an OC not understanding players. Moves like that are just crushing to a kids confidence.

I've been trying to figure that out myself. My theory is this: putting Murray in after Bruggman struggles would crush his confidence, it would be like benching him for poor play. By putting Murray in when Bruggman is doing OK, Bruggman doesn't get the feeling he is being benched, he's just splitting time with another QB.
But I agree it seems like a bad idea to put Murray in when Bruggman is playing OK.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
jdevries wrote:

I've been trying to figure that out myself. My theory is this: putting Murray in after Bruggman struggles would crush his confidence, it would be like benching him for poor play. By putting Murray in when Bruggman is doing OK, Bruggman doesn't get the feeling he is being benched, he's just splitting time with another QB.
But I agree it seems like a bad idea to put Murray in when Bruggman is playing OK.
The bigger problem to me is Bruggman only makes a good play 1 out of 10 times. His throws are all over the place and that has 0 to do with scheme.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm

91catAlum wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Anytime a starting QB comes out he's going to feel like he's being benched. There is no such thing as "splitting reps" to a player. There is only success or failure......Just a terrible, terrible decision by the coaching staff.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:38 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
jdevries wrote:

The bigger problem to me is Bruggman only makes a good play 1 out of 10 times. His throws are all over the place and that has 0 to do with scheme.
I couldn't disagree with you more......with all respect.

You don't go from 5th in the nation in offense 150th just by losing your QB. A drop that huge is ALL about scheme.

This slow down, power run, non deception scheme doesn't fit our current players. Bruggman has been pretty good when the tempo is up. The problem is our OC can't keep up with the pace. Murray scored TDs calling audibles away from what Mess wanted to do. Mess's response? "I didn't know what we were running??".

They've gone no huddle maybe 1 or 2 series per game. It's no coincidence those are the drives we've scored TDs on!! It fits our current players better and doesnt fit our OC at all.

Bobcat For Life

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:54 pm

jdevries wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
jdevries wrote:

You don't go from 5th in the nation in offense 150th just by losing your QB. A drop that huge is ALL about scheme.

This slow down, power run, non deception scheme doesn't fit our current players. Bruggman has been pretty good when the tempo is up. The problem is our OC can't keep up with the pace. Murray scored TDs calling audibles away from what Mess wanted to do. Mess's response? "I didn't know what we were running??".

They've gone no huddle maybe 1 or 2 series per game. It's no coincidence those are the drives we've scored TDs on!! It fits our current players better and doesnt fit our OC at all.

Bobcat For Life
And i'll disagree with you. All plays have a purpose, while we can bicker about what if they called a different play. The fact of the matter is, Bruggman had time, had open receivers he never saw, and when he did see them more often than not he threw a bad pass.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:08 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
jdevries wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
jdevries wrote:

Bobcat For Life
And i'll disagree with you. All plays have a purpose, while we can bicker about what if they called a different play. The fact of the matter is, Bruggman had time, had open receivers he never saw, and when he did see them more often than not he threw a bad pass.
Hey, I'm all for trying Murray. I totally understand weighing the pros and cons of different players. It's a critical part of coaching. However.

Players are gonna make physical mistakes. It is much more likely that you drop 150 places in offensive production because you don't know what you're doing,..... than because your QB misses a few throws or your receivers drop a couple balls.

I could list 10 offensive coordinator BLUNDERS from that game.

At the Division 1 level, your Offensive Coordinator shouldn't be allowed ANY.

Bobcat For Life

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?
Right? I'm not positive they'll beat Sacramento state, let alone anyone else on the schedule. The defense can't do it all...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Texas. Alabama. Georgia. All starting true Frosh. Not exactly like they are throwing in the towel, is it?

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 pm

There is no disputing that Tyler had a really bad game, but until we get a center who can snap the ball w/o it being on the qb's shoes or three feet off to the side it's not going to get a hell of a lot better. When a qb has to waste valuable time trying to corral the damn snap rather than picking up what the D is doing it really becomes a MAJOR issue. Plus, one interception was a pass that hit the receiver right in the numbers and it bounced off into the D backs hands. Murray really looked like a 17 year old, I think it's time to try Folsom.

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?
Right? I'm not positive they'll beat Sacramento state, let alone anyone else on the schedule. The defense can't do it all...
The Cats will beat Sac State, UC Davis and might beat Weber for a possible 5 win season with only 4 D-1 wins.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Here2inform wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?
The Cats will beat Sac State, UC Davis and might beat Weber for a possible 5 win season with only 4 D-1 wins.
Weber, Sac, Davis, and NAU have a combined 1 D1 win between the 4 of them. Weber beat Sac. So, really, they have zero wins outside of their little group. Good god, get a grip. Sac State lost to Western Oregon for crying out loud.