Murray please!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Murray please!!

Post by Bemiller49 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Biggest thing with Bruggman to me is his low completion percentage. He seems to always be below 50. Which to me means he struggles with accuracy.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:Biggest thing with Bruggman to me is his low completion percentage. He seems to always be below 50. Which to me means he struggles with accuracy.
I'm not sure if he could hit a Griz cheerleader in the hole

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:38 pm

I just checked Max Preps. Murray for his senior year was 91/130 (70%) for 1,595 yards passing. Even if he supposedly can't throw and is back to his junior year stats, that was 85/170 (50%) for 1,418 yards passing. That doesn't take into account his rushing ability.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Bruggman is not decisive and when he does throw it is always to his right, unless he rolls out.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Bruggman should be done. He threw 4 Interceptions today, 1 we got lucky and there was defensive offsides.. And the 5th should have been in the 1st quarter in the end zone.. Too many passes were behind and at the feet of the wr.
Those of you who say Murray can't pass.... It can't be any worse then Bruggman.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Folsom should get a shot. He is the #2qb and they can continue to run Murray in his small packages.

They keep talking about tempo and rhythm for Bruggman but you need to hit some short passes to keep the chains moving. They keep calling those 5 yard outs that are such a high degree of difficulty and they end up either stalling out or getting picked. Seems once we started going over the middle things started moving.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

FastCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FastCat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Bruggman has no confidence and his decision making is questionable. Murray had two bad plays in this game, yes. No time to get into game mode. Bruggman had all game to and could not make a throw. Let Murray play a bunch against Sac State and see how he does, give him some confidence. We have had some other freshman that came in later and did great things. Want names?

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Bruggeman tried hard. I'll give him that. Nothing will be hurt by starting Murray and let him play the entire game. We turned the ball over five times bad they could have had two more and still only lost by two. Murray is not a gimmick guy. He's a kid who will prove himself if given the chance.

Also, did Earle Solomonson change his name to Messingham?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Catbacker_1 wrote:Bruggman cannot throw with any velocity everything is floated. To weak of an arm to be effective in this league give Murray a chance can't be any worse.
When he has a clean pocket and can set his feet, he has a serviceable arm with below average accuracy. Any time he's on the run or has to throw off his back foot, the ball floats and is generally well short. I think the term is "dead duck". I'm sorry, but to be a decent D1 QB, you have to be able to throw on the run and off your back foot.

Too early in Murray's career to throw him to the wolves. Folsom should get his shot, as far as this Bobcat fan is concerned.

I hate to beat a dead horse and I know that ship has long since sailed, never to return, but can you imagine what this team would look like this season with Prukop at the helm? Most likely 4-0, ranked in the top 20 and a legitimate BSC title contender. Instead, he went from a team that had a crappy defense to another team with a crappy defense. His Ducks lost to the CU Buffs today... SMH. Wondering if he regrets it now?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:07 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Catbacker_1 wrote:Bruggman cannot throw with any velocity everything is floated. To weak of an arm to be effective in this league give Murray a chance can't be any worse.
When he has a clean pocket and can set his feet, he has a serviceable arm with below average accuracy. Any time he's on the run or has to throw off his back foot, the ball floats and is generally well short. I think the term is "dead duck". I'm sorry, but to be a decent D1 QB, you have to be able to throw on the run and off your back foot.

Too early in Murray's career to throw him to the wolves. Folsom should get his shot, as far as this Bobcat fan is concerned.

I hate to beat a dead horse and I know that ship has long since sailed, never to return, but can you imagine what this team would look like this season with Prukop at the helm? Most likely 4-0, ranked in the top 20 and a legitimate BSC title contender. Instead, he went from a team that had a crappy defense to another team with a crappy defense. His Ducks lost to the CU Buffs today... SMH. Wondering if he regrets it now?
The real mind-boggling then is, why did we burn the kid's redshirt? Especially if we only plan on using him for just a few plays a game. If Bruggman was Chote's guy and Folsom is #2, then redshirt Murray and let him develop. Otherwise, since you decided to burn his redshirt, then it's time to see what he can do.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:23 pm

My guess: Bruggman gets the start at Sac State and manages a win against the struggling Hornets. Then it's back home against NAU and more bad stuff will happen. I'm afraid we're stuck with him for a while longer. We still might not go anywhere without Bruggman, but we for sure ain't going anywhere with him. That's pretty freaking obvious.
WWKD (what would Kramer do)? Murray would have been the starter after halftime.

bobcat09
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat09 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

The real mind-boggling then is, why did we burn the kid's redshirt? Especially if we only plan on using him for just a few plays a game. If Bruggman was Chote's guy and Folsom is #2, then redshirt Murray and let him develop. Otherwise, since you decided to burn his redshirt, then it's time to see what he can do.
You do not burn a kids redshirt when he plays right away. You have 5 years to play 4, so technically speaking coach Choate could still redshirt Murray after this season if he wanted and he would then still have 3 years left and be in school for 5 years. Burning a kids redshirt is a horrible term and is misleading.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:07 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:He can't throw
Murray has only thrown 8 passes for the season. Not enough data to say he can't throw. Given Bruggs performances, what are we losing by going with Murray? I would actually like to see both Folsom and Murray play at Sac.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 am

Today was ugly. Bruggman looks lost, can never find the open reciever and makes horrible decisions. Murray is quick, but I guess he can't throw the ball. If we can't score against UND, we are screwed against most of the teams we have left to play. BUT, I have some faith in this staff that they will really hit the films hard this week, teach these kids their mistakes and move on. We lost because of mistakes. To many turnovers, to many little things we didn't do right. We are young, still learning a new system, still figuring things out. If we don't beat Sac, then yes we are screwed.

Punters are people too!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 am

“Everyone took their turn. North Dakota came out with a great game plan. They had it schemed up just right. Hats off to them,” “They played an outstanding game, but like I said, everyone took their turn.”

“One play it’s the wide receivers, one play it’s the o-line, one play it’s the quarterback, one play it’s the running back ... when everyone takes their turn, next thing you know you’re building up negative plays on top of each other instead of getting a rhythm going, that’s the key to the game — moving the ball consistently and finding a way to get first downs. We did not do that.”

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:44 am

Murray can throw. He looked good in the fall camp scrimmages throwing. He also had good patientce and went through his progressions. Since the season started they haven't really given him a chance to make throws.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:03 am

I am never comfortable criticizing kids who are not making money as pros, so I don't intend this to be that.
I'm sure Tyler is a good guy and a good leader but I'm surprised that he has absolutely no zip on the ball.

Murray may not be ready, but the best way to get "ready" is to play against real teams. Not just slinging it around
at practice. Let him have it. What do we have to lose?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:21 am

aucat wrote:I am never comfortable criticizing kids who are not making money as pros, so I don't intend this to be that.
I'm sure Tyler is a good guy and a good leader but I'm surprised that he has absolutely no zip on the ball.

Murray may not be ready, but the best way to get "ready" is to play against real teams. Not just slinging it around
Montana State FB needs to go 6-1 over remaining 7 games (4 road/3 home; all BSC games) to have a realistic chance at making FCS playoffs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am

TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:I am never comfortable criticizing kids who are not making money as pros, so I don't intend this to be that.

Montana State FB needs to go 6-1 over remaining 7 games (4 road/3 home; all BSC games) to have a realistic chance at making FCS playoffs.
Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:32 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:I agree entirely, it's a bit hard to say what Murray will give us this year, as he develops his game, but it's becoming exceedingly clear what Bruggman will give us...about the level of play you'd expect from a guy at his 4th school. He should not start another game.
I think Bobcat Nation is now understanding why Bruggman is on his 4th team. I honestly think his major problem is his confidence.