Idaho game thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Idaho game thread

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:30 am

The defense is going to get a big test right out of the gate. Idaho may not be a great FBS team, but they'll have a tough offense. MSU should be able to move the ball, but Idaho will hit hard. The toughness and character factor that Choate is trying to instill in this team will be put to the test. Idaho will want to send a message in this game and will come out very hyped up. If the Bobcats can weather the storm early and not panic, they could hang around.

The best thing about this game is that MSU will get a lesson on how to play tough and that may be something they'll take from this game and use going forward.

Only 8 days to go!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Idaho game thread

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:44 am

What are the chances of the Cats pulling off an upset?

-New systems in place, so Idaho can't really game plan for the cats. Idaho doesn't really know what to expect?

-First game of a "new era" for the cats, I would imagine the coaches and players are going to be insanely hyped up...

-improved defense for the cats... hopefully? I think we are all waiting to see if this is the case or not...

-Running game. Probably the biggest strength the Cats will have this year, a solid OL with a big stable of RB's... ground and pound, control the Time of Possession, and keep the score within reach. Avoiding high scoring shoot-out games like last year.

I really don't know anything about Idaho, but I would think we at least have a chance of winning... maybe 25% chance??? more? less?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 am

I think Idaho has a pretty good offense, and they will test our new defense early. Our defense is going to be a work in progress, you can't break the habits and culture that came about the last few years overnight, unfortunately. When the game is live, guys start huffing and puffing again, do they remember their new fundamental coaching, or do they revert to the same mistakes they made last year? I think they will make some "same ol" mistakes in the second half of this game, and Idaho will pull away in the 2nd half.

I'm also a little concerned about our ability to run the ball against Idaho. I think Bruggman can make some throws and keep some drives alive, but if we run on 1st, run on 2nd and all of the sudden its 3rd and long, we are going to have a hard time putting up points.

I see us losing something like 14-31. It's just so hard to predict what kind of team we have until we get into a game situation. We could prove me wrong quite easily, I just think it is going to take time to get Choate's culture completely implemented.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

Since we are going to have to start playing these guys regularly in 2 years, I'm hoping (I said hoping) that we have at least a 50% chance of winning this year. If we don't have a 50% chance this year, we are going to have to get lots better or them lots worse if we are to beat them regularly in the future. Seems like based on their past performance, they are closer to a Big Sky team than a Washington State, SMU, Arkansas or other BCS teams we've played, but that's hard to tell.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:21 am

Idaho has not been a good FBS team. Are they better this year? If they were in the BSC would they finish in the top 3? I am trying to gauge what we are up against.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:47 am

Idaho was a bad FBS team in one of the worst FBS conferences. MSU played Sun Belt member Arkansas State well two years ago. PSU beat two FBS teams last year and my recollection was that one was Sun Belt. We have a new system in place, but we should be competitive. I am not sure we will win, but the game should be close.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 am

I think if the Cats are able to run the ball, they'll hang around in this game. If not, it won't be close.

I don't know enough about Idaho's defense to have a clue whether that will happen or not.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:17 am

This game is definitely winnable. Our offense is top shelf in BSC and defense is.much better than last year without a doubt.
Idaho pass defense sucked last year and not much improved this year.
Shut down the pass with strong rush and tight coverage and force them into their week run game.
MSU 42 Idaho 21

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:21 am

Idaho and other weak FBS teams from weak FBS conferences are difficult to gauge. Yes, they're FBS and, yes, they get 85 scholarships, but how gung-ho are high school players, transfers, etc. about playing there? Would they prefer to play for a strong FCS team that is a perennial playoff team? I have to believe than any team that can hand out 85 full rides has got to be a top 3 BSC team. The BSC teams can only hand out 63 full rides, but 21 of those are made into half/partials, so you end up with roughly 42 full and 42 partial and the rest walkons against 85 full and the rest walkons.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:32 am

Montanabob wrote:This game is definitely winnable. Our offense is top shelf in BSC and defense is.much better than last year without a doubt.
Idaho pass defense sucked last year and not much improved this year.
Shut down the pass with strong rush and tight coverage and force them into their week run game.
MSU 42 Idaho 21
:shock:

hope u are right...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:35 am

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:16 am

Idaho returns an offense that averaged over 30 ppg nearly in tact. They are going to score on the Bobcats. The Cats defensive personnel will be much improved, but, as was case much of last season....it's going to come down to them. HOWEVER, I have a confidence knowing coach Gregorak has spent hours with Idaho film and will establish the most winnable schemes possible. It's up to the guys to execute. The one thing worse than losing this game would be losing in a blow-out. After the work our guys did during fall camp, that could be a "temporary" set-back. If they can keep Idaho to <40 the Bobcats have a chance.
I'm looking at Idaho's defense as I would NAU's, PSU or the griz....basically decent FCS at best. The Cats will move the ball.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 am

mslacatfan wrote:What are the chances of the Cats pulling off an upset?

-New systems in place, so Idaho can't really game plan for the cats. Idaho doesn't really know what to expect?

-First game of a "new era" for the cats, I would imagine the coaches and players are going to be insanely hyped up...

-improved defense for the cats... hopefully? I think we are all waiting to see if this is the case or not...

-Running game. Probably the biggest strength the Cats will have this year, a solid OL with a big stable of RB's... ground and pound, control the Time of Possession, and keep the score within reach. Avoiding high scoring shoot-out games like last year.

I really don't know anything about Idaho, but I would think we at least have a chance of winning... maybe 25% chance??? more? less?
Big advantage for us -- Idaho has no film on us. If they game-plan anticipating an Iowa State O and a UW or griz D they will miss the mark. This game could be our version of PSU beating Wazzu last year.

Linehan will likely be the best QB the Bobcats see all year. If our D has a big game, we have a chance (50%) but we will need 3 turnovers to get it done

hate to say it, but Idaho has more talent than we do (bunch of NFL lineage) and Petrino has their offense scoring - their goal is 40 ppg -- but this is a team game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all from what I've been hearing since january if this Bobcat team pulls it off.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:34 am

We're gonna get rolled! 8)

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:20 am

catsrback76 wrote:We're gonna get rolled! 8)
The last time the Cats showed up at Idaho they also had a new coach and new quarterback and they did get rolled...56-7. Won't be like that this time.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:45 am

http://www.uidaho.edu/president/communi ... day-letter

The Friday Letter
Our faculty and staff contribute to that success. In appreciation for that service, my office has collaborated with the Athletics Ticket Office to offer two free tickets to the Sept. 1 game for our Vandal employees. Additional tickets can be purchased for just $5. Thank you to all UI employees for contributing to the excellence of the University of Idaho.
I'm not sure we want Idaho in the Big Sky Conference. We at MSU have an opening game event that has people scrambling to find tickets, and it's been this way for several years (including Thursday night games against lower level opponents). This year's opener will be a fun fun fun fun event. Idaho is in such a bunch of disarray that they have to give tickets away. No wonder that nobody in the FBS wants them.

The few fans left on their forum will suggest that nobody wants to come see the piss ant FCS team play their mighty FBS team. Well, no kidding. Nobody in Bozeman really gives a hoot about Western Oregon either. We're not packing our stadium to watch Western Oregon, we're packing our stadium to watch our BOBCATS! If they can't get people interested in watching the Vandals, against ANYBODY, even a little FCS school like MSU, then they have no business in FBS and dang little in the FCS. Maybe U of I should just drop football and play pickle ball.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 am

More importantly, this game is on Thursday, the 1st, yes?

Because that super duper Montana State Bobcats app has the game listed on Wednesday, the 31st.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:34 pm

I was just looking at their roster. They have some pretty big boys on the D line but they only have 1 CB over 6'. We could definitely exploit that with guys like Herbert, john D, Barth etc. They are pretty young defensively too. More upper classmen than us though. They gave up over 260 yds/game on the ground last year and almost 250 through the air. A lot like us. Their return game was anemic too. Under 18 yds/return on kickoffs. This game is going to be real interesting.