Looking for Coach Ash...again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Looking for Coach Ash...again

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm

I looked into the Arkansas football site to see if coach Ash was there. What I bumped into was the personnel directory for the entire athletic department. Here's how it breaks down and employees in each. I've never looked inside an FBS athletic department before and found it interesting. Hope you do too.

Administration 14
Athletic Training 13
Broadcast Services 9
Business Office 9
Clinical & Sports Psychology 1
Communications 11
Compliance 6
Development 1
Digital Services 2
Event Management 6
Equipment 4
Facilities 10
Graphic Design 1
Information Technology 2
Licensing 1
Marketing and Fan Development 7
Office of Student-Athletic Development 5
Office of Student-Athletic Services 24
Public Relations 1
Razorback Foundation 14
Razorback Sports Properties 8
Strength and conditioning 10
Sports Nutrition 5
Ticket Office 7
Ticket Sales 6
Total Admin 175
Athletic Coaches 88
(I take it there are student assistants and student equipment managers not included in these numbers.)
Roster Athletes 467

Coach Ash was hired as Program Offensive Analyst and he still hasn't been listed. :-k

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Looking for Coach Ash...again

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Might have structured it as a contractor deal or something? Not sure

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Reddevil66-MSU
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Reddevil66-MSU » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Thought I could help you out here, Ash was not hired by Arkansas, he was hired by the same analytics company that his son works for, and he will be advising Arkansas football. If you want to find his name, check out the website of that analytics company. We never listed Scott Ash on the University Athletics site despite his constant presence.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:04 am

Reddevil66-MSU wrote:Thought I could help you out here, Ash was not hired by Arkansas, he was hired by the same analytics company that his son works for, and he will be advising Arkansas football. If you want to find his name, check out the website of that analytics company. We never listed Scott Ash on the University Athletics site despite his constant presence.
Rob Ash not listed as an employee on the analytics website. But no chance he was actually hired by Arkansas and this whole thing wasn't actually a rouse right? ](*,)

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 am

Maybe phatcat knows. Earlier this year he seemed to think he had info on coach Ash that no one else had and told us back then that we would be hearing more but it's been pretty quiet.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

First, let’s talk about the guy carrying the notebook, and how he might be changing how Bielema makes decisions.

He is Rob Ash, the former Montana State head coach who’s now a defensive analyst at Arkansas. He works with the Hogs’ defensive coaches during the week. But he was hired to help Bielema use analytics to find an edge, which is how he came to roam the sidelines with something that looks like a small-town phonebook.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /90252486/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Warrick rd
New Recruit

Post by Warrick rd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 pm

At the game Saturday I overheard two player parents talking about Ash. They could not conceal their anger and disbelief about the BS that Ash was pulling. All of it was legal and within his budget but the disadvantage he put our boys in concerning meals nutrition and playing time would make you cringe. I can't remember all of it and was trying really hard to not be noticed by these two dads. Part of it was playing time going to (sorry guys) Montana boys that had no business playing over walk ons from out of state. Much of it was about the analytics deal. The boys were so confused that Ash the younger was always on the sideline and in Rob Ash's ear but never came to practice. They weren't sure if ash younger got the job with the analytics firm because Rob Ash hired the firm to help the Cats OR if he used the worthless firm because the son worked for them already. Either way it smells. This of course explains the idiotic calls to go for it against eastern Wash and others. The other discussion was about the money that was slated in the football budget for nutrition during fall camp and during the season that NEVER was used for the boys. This is one of the things that Choate immediately changed for the boys allowing for healthy snacks during preseason and extra meals during the season. All programs provide nutrition plans and extra food guys. This is not a new idea. What did Ash do with the money? Welll one rumor was he and his son got their golf memberships at Black Bull with the nutrition money. This sounds questionable. But it went somewhere. The other talk was about how at the end each season boys would go in and talk to Ash unsolicited and beg him to Change the culture. His response was I have been successful here and I will continue to run the show long after you are gone. Apparently our FORMER AD did a detailed budget review and found all this ****** out and used it to fire him. The fact that he didn't already know about it was one of the reasons he also got fired. Sorry for rambling. Interesting stuff. Ssorry if you guys already knew about this and it was repetitive

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:02 pm

So long story short some parents were upset Ash wasn't playing their kids? Go figure.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Warrick rd wrote:At the game Saturday I overheard two player parents talking about Ash. They could not conceal their anger and disbelief about the BS that Ash was pulling. All of it was legal and within his budget but the disadvantage he put our boys in concerning meals nutrition and playing time would make you cringe. I can't remember all of it and was trying really hard to not be noticed by these two dads. Part of it was playing time going to (sorry guys) Montana boys that had no business playing over walk ons from out of state. Much of it was about the analytics deal. The boys were so confused that Ash the younger was always on the sideline and in Rob Ash's ear but never came to practice. They weren't sure if ash younger got the job with the analytics firm because Rob Ash hired the firm to help the Cats OR if he used the worthless firm because the son worked for them already. Either way it smells. This of course explains the idiotic calls to go for it against eastern Wash and others. The other discussion was about the money that was slated in the football budget for nutrition during fall camp and during the season that NEVER was used for the boys. This is one of the things that Choate immediately changed for the boys allowing for healthy snacks during preseason and extra meals during the season. All programs provide nutrition plans and extra food guys. This is not a new idea. What did Ash do with the money? Welll one rumor was he and his son got their golf memberships at Black Bull with the nutrition money. This sounds questionable. But it went somewhere. The other talk was about how at the end each season boys would go in and talk to Ash unsolicited and beg him to Change the culture. His response was I have been successful here and I will continue to run the show long after you are gone. Apparently our FORMER AD did a detailed budget review and found all this ****** out and used it to fire him. The fact that he didn't already know about it was one of the reasons he also got fired. Sorry for rambling. Interesting stuff. Ssorry if you guys already knew about this and it was repetitive
Interesting stuff

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Count me in the camp of the people who couldn't wait to get rid of Ash. Enough said and time to move on. I think we can all agree this far removed, we have a tremendously better staff and approach. Furthermore, it is damn refreshing seeing our coach take a vested interest in our players. Actions talk. What pisses me off was we accepted mediocrity for soooo long before we did anything. I'm beyond happy we cleaned house. Greatful that in his swan song, Fields hired Choate.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Common Cat wrote:Count me in the camp of the people who couldn't wait to get rid of Ash. Enough said and time to move on. I think we can all agree this far removed, we have a tremendously better staff and approach. Furthermore, it is damn refreshing seeing our coach take a vested interest in our players. Actions talk. What pisses me off was we accepted mediocrity for soooo long before we did anything. I'm beyond happy we cleaned house. Greatful that in his swan song, Fields hired Choate.
3 straight big sky titles, 2 Buchanan winners, winningest coach in school history. Pretty mediocre alright, or a pretty idiotic take, 1 of the 2. It's great to be excited for the direction we're headed, but this program is better than it was for having Ash coach here; objectively there's no disputing that. I think we could have won more against UM and eastern, but let's not pretend that his whole tenure was a failure. This may turn out to be better, or it could be mediocrity with helmet slaps on the sideline, way too soon to tell yet. No reason, none, to bash a guy that won 70 games at a program that was best known for one of its players committing a murder when he got here.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Count me in the camp of the people who couldn't wait to get rid of Ash. Enough said and time to move on. I think we can all agree this far removed, we have a tremendously better staff and approach. Furthermore, it is damn refreshing seeing our coach take a vested interest in our players. Actions talk. What pisses me off was we accepted mediocrity for soooo long before we did anything. I'm beyond happy we cleaned house. Greatful that in his swan song, Fields hired Choate.
3 straight big sky titles, 2 Buchanan winners, winningest coach in school history. Pretty mediocre alright, or a pretty idiotic take, 1 of the 2. It's great to be excited for the direction we're headed, but this program is better than it was for having Ash coach here; objectively there's no disputing that. I think we could have won more against UM and eastern, but let's not pretend that his whole tenure was a failure. This may turn out to be better, or it could be mediocrity with helmet slaps on the sideline, way too soon to tell yet. No reason, none, to bash a guy that won 70 games at a program that was best known for one of its players committing a murder when he got here.
Ash is gone. Why did you post this after the third game of the new staff? BFD and that is not an acronym for Bozeman Fire Department. Most of us are happy to see a passionate, in your face emotional coach. So Coach Coate's predecessor won a few games. Again. BFD. Sonny Holland won a National Championship. He couldn't take the stress and pressure it took to remain on top and stepped down. He's stated that hundreds of times since retiring. Arnold won a National Championship. He was only a coach for three years. I'll take what Arnold accomplished over winning a few games against the little sisters of the poor or the equivalent of beating Western or Carroll. Ash got canned because he reflected the entire administration in MSU at the time and their philosophy toward MSU athletics...participate and don't make waves...mediocrity is all we need for this hick town to keep our jobs...Waded isn't going to tolerate just sitting on your ass and getting by and wasting perfectly good oxygen. If that's all you want, become an "official" for the MHSA and screw a bunch of high school kids because you have a zebra shirt on and a black cap.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 am

Winingest coach in Bobcat history because the Big Sky for many years was a weak conference with 3 or 4 good teams. He won most of the games we should have, but lost most of the ones that mattered. That is why I can't stand Griz fans. They dominated a weak conference for many years. Had Boise State, Idaho and Nevada stayed longer, they would have been a middle of the pack team. In the end, everything happens for a reason.

Punters are people too!!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:46 am

Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Ash is gone. Why did you post this after the third game of the new staff? BFD and that is not an acronym for Bozeman Fire Department. Most of us are happy to see a passionate, in your face emotional coach. So Coach Coate's predecessor won a few games. Again. BFD. Sonny Holland won a National Championship. He couldn't take the stress and pressure it took to remain on top and stepped down. He's stated that hundreds of times since retiring. Arnold won a National Championship. He was only a coach for three years. I'll take what Arnold accomplished over winning a few games against the little sisters of the poor or the equivalent of beating Western or Carroll. Ash got canned because he reflected the entire administration in MSU at the time and their philosophy toward MSU athletics...participate and don't make waves...mediocrity is all we need for this hick town to keep our jobs...Waded isn't going to tolerate just sitting on your ass and getting by and wasting perfectly good oxygen. If that's all you want, become an "official" for the MHSA and screw a bunch of high school kids because you have a zebra shirt on and a black cap.
I'm as excited for the potential of this new direction as anyone else, but it simply blows my mind how people can be so certain after 3 games, against poor competition, that we're so much better off. Did we win enough against EWU and UM, no we did not. But here's something to ponder on that front. Take south Dakota state, a school and team that's been on a similar trajectory as us. Since 2011, vs. UNI and NDSU, they are 2-10. I'm not arguing that we should accept losing to our conference powers, just that there's a reason they're conference powers. You simply can not dismiss the previous staff's accomplishments if you're going to flame them for their shortcomings. I hope, like you do, that we win multiple titles in the next 6 to 7 years, and that's possible. But I just can't understand the reason for smearing a guy who represented us well, beginning in a time of great strife at our university, based on a few rumors, that sound more like bitterness from simpletons who think football games are won by how loud the coach yells. So, that's "why I posted 3 games into the new staff." I'm excited about our new enthusiasm, I think coach Choate has created a new identity for our program, and I don't disagree that maybe ash's methods had grown stale here. I just can't believe that folks on here can't allow that our program was better off, and on much more stable footing overall, than we were 9 years ago. That, plus let's let coach Choate and his new staff get through a conference season before we make him Bear Bryant.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 am

Yet somehow it's the Ash supporters that can't let go....the irony is thick :roll: ](*,)

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:03 am

KittieKop wrote:Yet somehow it's the Ash supporters that can't let go....the irony is thick :roll: ](*,)
No, not correct, at least in my case. I've let it go that he was fired, and acknowledged that it was likely time for a new, different type of voice. I just get pissed when people revise history, and make the last 9 years of program building simply worth nothing. I'm in with this new staff and new direction, we keep our tickets, bobcat club donation, etc., and will be at the games. I just like to respond and call out things that are ridiculous when they're posted, like ash was some sort of corrupt dictator getting rich off his kids, etc. I actually agree with you, that era is over, so people should let it go, rather than denigrate all those teams accomplishments everyone ash's name is mentioned. I'm glad to go forward supporting the new staff, just like I supported the prior one.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:12 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I'm as excited for the potential of this new direction as anyone else, but it simply blows my mind how people can be so certain after 3 games, against poor competition, that we're so much better off. Did we win enough against EWU and UM, no we did not. But here's something to ponder on that front. Take south Dakota state, a school and team that's been on a similar trajectory as us. Since 2011, vs. UNI and NDSU, they are 2-10. I'm not arguing that we should accept losing to our conference powers, just that there's a reason they're conference powers. You simply can not dismiss the previous staff's accomplishments if you're going to flame them for their shortcomings. I hope, like you do, that we win multiple titles in the next 6 to 7 years, and that's possible. But I just can't understand the reason for smearing a guy who represented us well, beginning in a time of great strife at our university, based on a few rumors, that sound more like bitterness from simpletons who think football games are won by how loud the coach yells. So, that's "why I posted 3 games into the new staff." I'm excited about our new enthusiasm, I think coach Choate has created a new identity for our program, and I don't disagree that maybe ash's methods had grown stale here. I just can't believe that folks on here can't allow that our program was better off, and on much more stable footing overall, than we were 9 years ago. That, plus let's let coach Choate and his new staff get through a conference season before we make him Bear Bryant.
Good post and perspective.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Yet somehow it's the Ash supporters that can't let go....the irony is thick :roll: ](*,)
No, not correct, at least in my case. I've let it go that he was fired, and acknowledged that it was likely time for a new, different type of voice. I just get pissed when people revise history, and make the last 9 years of program building simply worth nothing. I'm in with this new staff and new direction, we keep our tickets, bobcat club donation, etc., and will be at the games. I just like to respond and call out things that are ridiculous when they're posted, like ash was some sort of corrupt dictator getting rich off his kids, etc. I actually agree with you, that era is over, so people should let it go, rather than denigrate all those teams accomplishments everyone ash's name is mentioned. I'm glad to go forward supporting the new staff, just like I supported the prior one.
Nobody is revising history. You--and you aren't alone here--seem to be unhappy about the way the Ash situation went down. Fair enough; it was ugly. HOWEVER, he had been given length after length after length of rope and he finally fell through the proverbial trap door. I was one of the loudest proponents on this forum of moving on from Ash. I am happy we did. I feel we ended up with a superior coach. Why did we get a superior coach? Because Rob Ash brought this program to a level that superior coaches found relevant enough to apply for jobs. However, it is impossible to argue against the fact that his last 3 years WERE INDEED a failure. It is impossible to argue against the fact that the presence of his son on the sidelines acting as his chief adviser was questionable--I don't think i'm the only person who has heard through the grapevine the kid may not be the sharpest tool in the shed--and it is also impossible to argue against the fact that the way he managed his staff was built on loyalty rather than results. He built this program to a level larger than his capability to manage it allowed. Kudos. Like many CEO's of rapidly growing entities, he was let go because the situation surpassed his skill set. The program--the boosters, the season ticket holders, the donors, and the kids--are better for it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:17 am

The Black Bull membership was in his contract.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Nobody is revising history. You--and you aren't alone here--seem to be unhappy about the way the Ash situation went down. Fair enough; it was ugly. HOWEVER, he had been given length after length after length of rope and he finally fell through the proverbial trap door. I was one of the loudest proponents on this forum of moving on from Ash. I am happy we did. I feel we ended up with a superior coach. Why did we get a superior coach? Because Rob Ash brought this program to a level that superior coaches found relevant enough to apply for jobs. However, it is impossible to argue against the fact that his last 3 years WERE INDEED a failure. It is impossible to argue against the fact that the presence of his son on the sidelines acting as his chief adviser was questionable--I don't think i'm the only person who has heard through the grapevine the kid may not be the sharpest tool in the shed--and it is also impossible to argue against the fact that the way he managed his staff was built on loyalty rather than results. He built this program to a level larger than his capability to manage it allowed. Kudos. Like many CEO's of rapidly growing entities, he was let go because the situation surpassed his skill set. The program--the boosters, the season ticket holders, the donors, and the kids--are better for it.
Bingo. That's a great argument, and one I can agree with, largely. He built a winning program here, largely around a class of players the likes of which we may not have together again for awhile (Minter, Owens, McGhee, Bleskin, Kirk, Daly, Schreibeis, etc.) After those guys left, what you describe basically is correct, he was unable to keep that type of talent in the program. The thing with his son, meh, whatever, maybe looks bad, but if we'd kept winning 7 to 9 games, and looked a bit better, that issue wouldn't have gotten him fired on its own. So I agree with your sentiments about the past 3 seasons, and am glad you're willing to acknowledge the program's growth and success while he was here.