CB - Jalen Cole Commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

CB - Jalen Cole Commits

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Skyline Sports ‏@SkylineSportsMT 2m2 minutes ago
Jalen Cole, a 5-9, 165-pound cornerback from Mater Dei, had verbally committed to Montana State. Second Trinity League commit today alone.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: CB - Jalen Cole Commits

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Jalen is a Scout 3-star corner. Big day for the future of our secondary today. Hope we can hold them!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Held offers from Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Idaho, and Colorado State

Must be a smart kid getting all those Ivy's looking at him . . . and for choosing the bobcats :D

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Jalen Cole plays in the Orange County, which is where some of the top high schools and high school players are. As of right now we hold verbals committees from the #1 ranked CB and DL in that country in Jalen Cole and Travis Yates. Here is the websitehttp://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/last-84315-s ... ounty.html

Heres what they said about each:
1. Jalen Cole, Mater Dei, Sr.

It is going to be a challenge completing passes against the Mater Dei secondary this season. Cole emerged as Mater Dei’s top cover corner last year. He earned first-team All-County honors last season, recording 60 tackles, two interceptions with nine batted balls and 24 pass defenses.

1. Travis Yates, Orange Lutheran, Sr.

The Montana State commit claims the top spot in an evenly matched group of players. When healthy, Yates (6-3, 265) played well last season against top-shelf competition, including nine tackles in an early-season game against Centennial of Corona. He also was offered by Hawaii and Central Florida. “He’s a tough kid,” Greg Biggins, national recruiting analyst for Fox Sports and Scout.com, said of Yates. “(He) plays hard.

Off to a fantastic recruiting year, key to keeping these kids is to keep Alexander, and Pitre onboard here at MSU . . .we are lucky to have both of them as not only coaches but solid recruiters.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:23 am

Bozcat003 wrote:Held offers from Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Idaho, and Colorado State

Must be a smart kid getting all those Ivy's looking at him . . . and for choosing the bobcats :D

Idaho :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:27 am

Kid is a baller. Plays a lot taller than 5'9,5'10. Really good cover skills. Showed a good ability to backpedal, turn his hips, track his receiver in his pocket, and high point the ball. If he was 2" taller, he's a P5 guy.

Again, very good tackler. Like that our coaches are focusing on this. I think Cole is an outside boundary corner, potentially a guy who locks up a #1 WR consistently.

Good returner. Not as fast as Thomas, but better wiggle and vision.

I think this is the best CB we've had committed, based on tape, in quite a few years.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 am

When you get multiple guys committing at the same time and position, it makes me wonder if the coaches said there were a limited # of spots available, better take it before somebody else does.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 am

Feels good to get those athletes from the Mater Dei's and Bosco's..... Elite programs. Yes, here's hoping we can keep them...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

How often does MSU lose a player that commits? Once a year?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 am

iaafan wrote:How often does MSU lose a player that commits? Once a year?
Unfortunately, yes. Retaining these two will become more clear with what happens after the season with Coach Alexander and Coach Pitre and whether or not they will go on to higher opportunities. But as I always say, whether we are told otherwise, they are currently committed to be MSU Bobcats.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 am

iaafan wrote:How often does MSU lose a player that commits? Once a year?
Not often at all, however if a position coach leaves (like I think GA will) it worries me.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 am

Not that stars matter but Jalen is a three-star prospect on all three of the main recruiting sites (Rivals, Scout, and 247Sports). He is legit.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 am

If you only lose one player per year to a de-commit, I'd say that's not too bad. Schools lose coaches almost every year. MSU lost McEndoo, Cramsey, Wright, etc. over the years, but I don't recall there being any huge fallout with de-commits. I just don't think kids commit solely due to one coach. There has to be a lot more to it than that.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:26 am

iaafan wrote:If you only lose one player per year to a de-commit, I'd say that's not too bad. Schools lose coaches almost every year. MSU lost McEndoo, Cramsey, Wright, etc. over the years, but I don't recall there being any huge fallout with de-commits. I just don't think kids commit solely due to one coach. There has to be a lot more to it than that.
Yeah let's hope so.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:26 am

\:D/

FTG- GO CATS GO!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 am

I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but I think that it helps that we're bringing in a lot of high quality recruits. If a 3 star recruit looks at his commit class and, unfairly or not, doesn't see any other players with star rankings, as a high schooler, you would begin to have second thoughts about whether you fit in with the group. I would think that now, as a recruit, if you see more and more highly ranked players committing with you, you'd be more likely to stick to the commit. This would all also depend on each individual kid, but that's how I see it. The coaches staying with the program also helps a ton, of course.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 am

Of the four out of state commits all have star ratings. Three 3-star and one 2-star. The three Montana players would all be at least 2-star players, IMO, if they were out of state.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 am

Cole's highlights are really impressive:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:15 am

mslacatfan wrote:Cole's highlights are really impressive:

Yeah...he's a dude.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:21 am

iaafan wrote:If you only lose one player per year to a de-commit, I'd say that's not too bad. Schools lose coaches almost every year. MSU lost McEndoo, Cramsey, Wright, etc. over the years, but I don't recall there being any huge fallout with de-commits. I just don't think kids commit solely due to one coach. There has to be a lot more to it than that.
You'd be surprised. Kids often decommit when a coach leaves. The reason it rarely happens here is bc a lot of these kids don't have very many offers.