CB - Jalen Cole Commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: CB - Jalen Cole Commits

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:23 am

Keeping GA for as long as possible will be very important. He seems to me the rare coach who recruits and coaches very well. Outside of Choate, he's probably the best position coach we have.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 am

A recruit needs to step up and show some leadership. Like Choate talked about in the video. If a recruit shows some leadership and maintains the recruiting process through himself through twitter and text, then that can help a ton I think. Hopefully Choate is looking at some great players and some great leaders. I think if a coach could pin down a great leader at the beginning of any given recruiting class, that goes a long way.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 am

[quote="bobcat99"][quote="iaafan"]If you only lose one player per year to a de-commit, I'd say that's not too bad. Schools lose coaches almost every year. MSU lost McEndoo, Cramsey, Wright, etc. over the years, but I don't recall there being any huge fallout with de-commits. I just don't think kids commit solely due to one coach. There has to be a lot more to it than that.[/quote]

You'd be surprised. Kids often decommit when a coach leaves. The reason it rarely happens here is bc a lot of these kids don't have very many offers.[/quote]

Of the few de-commits that there are, yes, some do that because a coach leaves. But players just don't de-commit very often. It's like worrying about the Yellowstone caldera going off or the sky falling. Probably 95% of players that commit, don't de-commit.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am

lutecat wrote:A recruit needs to step up and show some leadership. Like Choate talked about in the video. If a recruit shows some leadership and maintains the recruiting process through himself through twitter and text, then that can help a ton I think. Hopefully Choate is looking at some great players and some great leaders. I think if a coach could pin down a great leader at the beginning of any given recruiting class, that goes a long way.
I think we have that already this year. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple articles that said that the moment they committed, Tucker Rovig and Troy Andersen were on the phone trying to recruit other guys that we've offered to come here too. I'm not sure exactly how much it helped, but you might've noticed how quickly Jaxen and Taden commited here after Troy did.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:02 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Cole's highlights are really impressive:

Yeah they are... Wow, I'm really excited about this kid! \:D/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

https://twitter.com/bradthetruth/status/769240227076509696

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 am

Mater Dei won 63-14. No stats on Cole. QB threw six TD passes.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:40 pm

My main concern for losing early commits hasn't been because a coach left, but because the commit played well and received a scholarship offer from a Football Bowl Series school. Haven't we had a few of those over the years? An offensive lineman from California going to a bad school like New Mexico comes to mind.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 pm

vike_king wrote:My main concern for losing early commits hasn't been because a coach left, but because the commit played well and received a scholarship offer from a Football Bowl Series school. Haven't we had a few of those over the years? An offensive lineman from California going to a bad school like New Mexico comes to mind.
I'm thinking we got a really late verbal from the kids that did jump up to FBS. I like that these guys are committed early, normally they will stay loyal. Also some of these guys already have FBS offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
vike_king wrote:My main concern for losing early commits hasn't been because a coach left, but because the commit played well and received a scholarship offer from a Football Bowl Series school. Haven't we had a few of those over the years? An offensive lineman from California going to a bad school like New Mexico comes to mind.
I'm thinking we got a really late verbal from the kids that did jump up to FBS. I like that these guys are committed early, normally they will stay loyal. Also some of these guys already have FBS offers.

Austin Webb comes to mind. He was the big offensive lineman from Texas (Dallas?). He committed early and said he wanted to come here for the hunting and fishing. Colter even said that Webb got upset when he asked him if he was going to stay committed to the Cats in like December or January. Lo and behold, a week or two before signing day, he jumps ship for Hawaii. Never count your chickens until the ink is on the NLI

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:35 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Austin Webb comes to mind. He was the big offensive lineman from Texas (Dallas?). He committed early and said he wanted to come here for the hunting and fishing. Colter even said that Webb got upset when he asked him if he was going to stay committed to the Cats in like December or January. Lo and behold, a week or two before signing day, he jumps ship for Hawaii. Never count your chickens until the ink is on the NLI
Forgot him, great example. I remember how much he talked about the outdoors of MT as a factor.

Wonder if he's even on the two deep in Hawaii.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:06 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Forgot him, great example. I remember how much he talked about the outdoors of MT as a factor.

Your wish is my command!

He's not on the two deep according to this. I'm not sure how much you can trust this website though.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... waii/90636

Here's his bio from the Hawaii website. They already have their roster updated.........

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15089

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Your wish is my command!

He's not on the two deep according to this. I'm not sure how much you can trust this website though.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... waii/90636

Here's his bio from the Hawaii website. They already have their roster updated.........

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15089
Awesome, thanks for looking.

I didn't realize he was a redshirt freshman. It seems like a really long time ago that happened. He'd probably be one of the starters on our line or at least be on the two deep.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:29 am

Mater Dei beat Mayfair 63-0.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber