Lulay still kickin' around

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Lulay still kickin' around

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Travis Lulay just stepped into the Calgary @ BC game. Garbage time, and he didn't do himself any favors...

And got sacked big time, just now. That's not helping either.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lulay still kickin' around

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Nice post. Thanks for the update.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rtb

Post by rtb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:48 pm

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/lion ... story.html

He is basically on contract for two more years to be a back-up and mentor. If you're trying to knock the guy down for being past his prime I guess that's your prerogative, but the dude is being paid well to mentor and guide the new QBs and is a well liked and respected player by BC.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:08 pm

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:06 pm

rtb wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/lion ... story.html

He is basically on contract for two more years to be a back-up and mentor. If you're trying to knock the guy down for being past his prime I guess that's your prerogative, but the dude is being paid well to mentor and guide the new QBs and is a well liked and respected player by BC.
I wasn't trying to knock him, but man was he looking rusty. I was initially excited to see him playing, but he got his butt handed to him. Besides, 32 shouldn't be "past his prime". Manning won a Super Bowl last year at 40. That guy was past his prime.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:34 pm

BigSkyCowboy wrote:
rtb wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/lion ... story.html

I wasn't trying to knock him, but man was he looking rusty. I was initially excited to see him playing, but he got his butt handed to him. Besides, 32 shouldn't be "past his prime". Manning won a Super Bowl last year at 40. That guy was past his prime.
Like you said, Garbage time. He probably wasn't getting much blocking up front at the end of the game. There also could have been young WR's, lineman etc. in there as well.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Plus Lulay has taken a beating at MSU at at BC.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:23 pm

I thought this thread was to inform us that he is punting again... :-^

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Walk-on wrote:I thought this thread was to inform us that he is punting again... :-^
:lol: =D^

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm

And after watching Friday's scrimmage we may need that Lulay role punt this year!!

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Cats15 wrote:And after watching Friday's scrimmage we may need that Lulay role punt this year!!
Maybe Ben Folsom can punt. He is a heck of an athlete.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Cowboy, admit it, you were drinking when you started this post? The young 24 year old quarterback Jennings is very inconsistent in B.C. And it's not the first time he has been pulled. A few weeks back he got pulled and Lulay came in and was 12/15 one TD and one pick, according to my math that's 80% on the throws. Unfortunately, that outcome of that game had already been decided. B.C. was losing by 29 when Lulay came last week and he was 4/7, Jennings was 10/22 153 yards passing, no td's. IMO, Lulay should be starting the youngster isn't ready yet, too inconsistent.

The bigger story of the game was that Calgary's QB, Bo Levi Mitchell was 28/38 340 yards passing and 2 td's in the blowout.

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am

autocat wrote:Cowboy, admit it, you were drinking when you started this post? The young 24 year old quarterback Jennings is very inconsistent in B.C. And it's not the first time he has been pulled. A few weeks back he got pulled and Lulay came in and was 12/15 one TD and one pick, according to my math that's 80% on the throws. Unfortunately, that outcome of that game had already been decided. B.C. was losing by 29 when Lulay came last week and he was 4/7, Jennings was 10/22 153 yards passing, no td's. IMO, Lulay should be starting the youngster isn't ready yet, too inconsistent.

The bigger story of the game was that Calgary's QB, Bo Levi Mitchell was 28/38 340 yards passing and 2 td's in the blowout.
You caught me. I'd had a few.

However, you have stated what I meant to say in my inelegant post: Lulay should be the starter at B.C. right now. Jennings isn't ready. However, if Lulay is going to play like he was playing the other night then B.C. has to keep pushing the kid instead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:05 am

He was on track to have a great career before injuries started taking their toll. In 2011 he won the Grey Cup, and was regular season and Grey Cup Most Outstanding Player. He had one more very good season in 2012, but he's never really been able to stay healthy since then. Besides the on field success, I believe he was the highest paid player in the league at one time, and he was also the "face" of the CFL, as he was featured on many of their in-game league promos for a couple of years. I'd like to see him get another chance to be the starter, but I sort of doubt that's going to happen at this point.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:07 am

Although the CFL doesn't disclose salaries publicly, from everything I've read he is still top 4 in salary in the league.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am

When he has played the last couple of years, he was really hamstrung by not having a very good team around him. At least in the few games that I saw, he didn't get much protection from the O-line, they didn't have much of a running game, and their receivers had lots of drops. Other than that, their offense was spectacular :lol: . Their overall talent level has declined significantly since 2011 when they won the Grey Cup, and 2012 when they had the best record in the league in the regular season.