August 19 scrimmage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: August 19 scrimmage

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 am

If this year turns out really good, and I think it might, it will be because of a few things:

1. Gregorak instilling a culture of toughness, tackling and a turnover creation.

2. Alexander turning our same guys and the new guys into one of the best secondaries in the conference. I believe he's that kind of coach, but time will tell.

3. At least one of our DL transfers turns out to be a high performer.

4. Our OL stays healthy in particular, but we need most position groups to stay healthy. I have a real concern on depth and if the injury bug starts to roll through this team, we won't finish strong.

Overall this team could be one of the many examples of a new coaching staff taking hold, and with largely the same players, turns around a program. A 7-1 type conference season is possible. So is 3-5.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Darth Yoda on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

Take the griz as a measuring stick, when Phlu and Delaney came on board, the next year they took a step back. So other than those lucky stitts making the playoffs last year and BH's first year, they did not make the playoffs in their first year. I think you can argue their program was at another level back when BH took over.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 am

lutecat wrote:Take the griz as a measuring stick, when Phlu and Delaney came on board, the next year they took a step back. So other than those lucky stitts making the playoffs last year and BH's first year, they did not make the playoffs in their first year. I think you can argue their program was at another level back when BH took over.
One could also use PSU and Barney Ball as a measuring stick. They went from really bad and in a very similar preseason ranking as the Cats to 7-1 and a banner.

grizcountry420
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grizcountry420 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 am

This thread is pure gold..

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 pm

grizcountry420 wrote:This thread is pure gold..
I agree. However, I also love reading the outstanding threads over on E-griz this time of year. NC or bust right?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
lutecat wrote:Take the griz as a measuring stick, when Phlu and Delaney came on board, the next year they took a step back. So other than those lucky stitts making the playoffs last year and BH's first year, they did not make the playoffs in their first year. I think you can argue their program was at another level back when BH took over.
One could also use PSU and Barney Ball as a measuring stick. They went from really bad and in a very similar preseason ranking as the Cats to 7-1 and a banner.

Fair point.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 pm

lutecat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:

Fair point.
I'm actually trying not to make an actual prediction yet, and a season that is similar to Pleh or Delaney in their first year is probably the most likely, but not a lock. I do think the range is a 3 win conference season to a 7 win conference season.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Let's hear your opinion then, oh wise one.

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 pm

In today's Big Sky, a huge factor in the success of teams is the schedule. MSU and UM of course, play each other and both play EWU and NAU. Cats also play tough teams UND and SUU, both of whom the Griz avoid. EWU probably has the toughest schedule. They open the season against Washington ST., go to Fargo against NDSU, and play at home against UNI. In conference, in addition to the Montana schools, they play contenders NAU and PSU. PSU probably has the easiest schedule of the contenders as they only play one contender, EWU, while getting ISU, Weber, UNC, Davis, Sac., and Poly.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:31 pm

[quote="91catAlum"][quote="grizcountry420"]This thread is pure gold..[/quote]
Let's hear your opinion then, oh wise one.[/quote]

One person jokingly mentioned booking a flight to Frisco, so some Griz fans, like 420, took that mean that everyone on Bobcatnation.com is predicting the Cats are going to win the national championship. So fixated with us that they started a new thread about this thread on eGriz. You just don't come across this kind of f'd up in the wild very often.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:39 pm

DicTater wrote:In today's Big Sky, a huge factor in the success of teams is the schedule. MSU and UM of course, play each other and both play EWU and NAU. Cats also play tough teams UND and SUU, both of whom the Griz avoid. EWU probably has the toughest schedule. They open the season against Washington ST., go to Fargo against NDSU, and play at home against UNI. In conference, in addition to the Montana schools, they play contenders NAU and PSU. PSU probably has the easiest schedule of the contenders as they only play one contender, EWU, while getting ISU, Weber, UNC, Davis, Sac., and Poly.
The Cats also play @Weber who have a ton of players back as well. I wouldn't overlook them either (very physical team).
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:15 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:Two players that really stood out to me- LB #11 one of the McCarthy brothers. He is always around the ball. Very fast reactions and made good tackles. The other is frosh QB Chris Murray. This is the second scrimmage where he moved the offense. He finds the open receiver. He is patient. When he does run he is fast and an overall good runner. Doesn't look like a frosh.
QB Chris Murray will be special down the road. Has all the tools and that "it" factor, needs to work on his ball a little in terms of touch, but he is very solid. Like you said, doesn't look like a freshman
I thought Murray throws a nice ball, plus he can run. If he can redshirt this year, he will be that much better next year, put some weight on and get use to the college game.
...and then graduate and go play for the quackers. I say play him when/if he is ready/needed. But I'm cynical. 8)

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:02 pm

DicTater wrote:In today's Big Sky, a huge factor in the success of teams is the schedule. MSU and UM of course, play each other and both play EWU and NAU. Cats also play tough teams UND and SUU, both of whom the Griz avoid. EWU probably has the toughest schedule. They open the season against Washington ST., go to Fargo against NDSU, and play at home against UNI. In conference, in addition to the Montana schools, they play contenders NAU and PSU. PSU probably has the easiest schedule of the contenders as they only play one contender, EWU, while getting ISU, Weber, UNC, Davis, Sac., and Poly.
This is incorrect. The Griz do play SUU at home. UND has the easiest conference schedule BY FAR. If Santiago looks like he did last year and their QB play improves, I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys win the conference. Their only tough game is you guys in your house. Everything else is very winnable. I can't stand this unbalanced scheduling. I'm with Kramer on that one!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:18 pm

iaafan wrote:Grizaddict: I think you're over emphasizing stats and electric plays. Prukop had those, but when it came to making plays when the game was on the line, or even a first down on a key drive, he didn't come through very often. He was great when the other team had a big lead and perhaps softened up on defense. I don't think too many people are focused on the transfers making the team better, but rather the coaching. The only transfer that is listed as a starter on defense is Walker.
We won't miss hiccup one bit at QB. Can we stop using his name and get on with life! He hurt us more than helped us last year. I think we should have had a more balanced attack and slower paced offense to give the defense more time off the field. That would help the defense make stops.
9-2 with a win in Kitty Dome and lose in California and SUU.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Montanabob wrote:
iaafan wrote:Grizaddict: I think you're over emphasizing stats and electric plays. Prukop had those, but when it came to making plays when the game was on the line, or even a first down on a key drive, he didn't come through very often. He was great when the other team had a big lead and perhaps softened up on defense. I don't think too many people are focused on the transfers making the team better, but rather the coaching. The only transfer that is listed as a starter on defense is Walker.
We won't miss hiccup one bit at QB. Can we stop using his name and get on with life! He hurt us more than helped us last year. I think we should have had a more balanced attack and slower paced offense to give the defense more time off the field. That would help the defense make stops.
Dakota and the offense was the only reason we were competitive in any games last year. Were they inconsistent? Absolutely. But the defense was inept at nearly every aspect last year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Montanabob wrote:
I've always loved the "We lost a lot of games because we scored too many points" reasoning :lol:

And I'm sorry, but you're high if you don't think we lost a weapon with Prukop leaving.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Are you kidding me? Then this one is Platinum 10x over. http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopi ... =1&t=74292

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
This is incorrect. The Griz do play SUU at home. UND has the easiest conference schedule BY FAR. If Santiago looks like he did last year and their QB play improves, I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys win the conference. Their only tough game is you guys in your house. Everything else is very winnable. I can't stand this unbalanced scheduling. I'm with Kramer on that one!
Unfortunately the unbalanced schedule isn't going to change anytime soon with Idaho coming in and UND thinking hard about leaving. We'll be right where we are now.

LynnP
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by LynnP » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 am

BleedingBLue wrote:Man the lack of confidence in our team is crazy! Why does everyone continue acting like our poor defense from last year hasnt had 9 months to grow, mature and get better? After all that is what the off-season, spring and fall are for right? With the addition of a defensive minded head coach, and the transfers we added I think it is totally fair to expect at least middle of the pack D this year. More often than not people make a huge deal about losing O lineman too, and more often than not it doesn't matter. There is still plenty of game experience on the line. We have without a doubt the best RBs in the conference and a top 3 receiving corps. Never having been a head coach means nothing at all either. If you can coach you can coach, whether it's year 1 or 20. Of course he will still learn a lot through the years but every head coach continues to learn and evolve, or falls behind and loses his job. We have every reason to be optimistic, and have the same outlook as we have the last 15 years. Conference title and a playoff run.
GCAT60
Very well said!!!!. Confidence in our team is needed. This a new year.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:18 am

Montanabob wrote:
You may feel betrayed by DP, but that's no excuse for not wanting to say his name or call him names. That's BS.