ESPN Kickoff

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

ESPN Kickoff

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:41 am

NDSU and Charleston Southern......how are these teams picked? I assume ESPN takes the prior year's national champion. How did Charleston Southern get picked? Were they already on the Bison schedule?

And of course...I'm wondering how the Cats ca get in on this? Is it a matter of getting back to the top of the Big Sky?

Last years game was great exposure for the Griz....I'd love to see something like this in Bozeman.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN Kickoff

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:06 am

Win 3 National Championships in a row. The only reason the Griz were in the picture last year was because they were playing NDSU. Had NDSU played someone else, the Griz never would have been playing that game.

Punters are people too!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:27 am

GoCats18 wrote:Win 3 National Championships in a row. The only reason the Griz were in the picture last year was because they were playing NDSU. Had NDSU played someone else, the Griz never would have been playing that game.
I think all of us are kind of in denial NDSU is so dominate at this level as they've actually won five in a row. Charleston Southern is ranked 7th so it's a pretty good start to the season and I'm looking forward to this game and it's going to be interesting watching CS transition into the Sun Belt. It's a really neat campus, great facilities even though I much prefer the Citadel but nonetheless, it's a great way to start the year and then I get to watch some pretty decent high school teams finally. It's unfathomable to me that many states will be playing their third game before the kids in Montana play their first but that gets us off topic as to why NDSU is chosen as the Kickoff team year in and year out.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:19 am

Cat Grad wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Win 3 National Championships in a row. The only reason the Griz were in the picture last year was because they were playing NDSU. Had NDSU played someone else, the Griz never would have been playing that game.
I think all of us are kind of in denial NDSU is so dominate at this level as they've actually won five in a row. Charleston Southern is ranked 7th so it's a pretty good start to the season and I'm looking forward to this game and it's going to be interesting watching CS transition into the Sun Belt. It's a really neat campus, great facilities even though I much prefer the Citadel but nonetheless, it's a great way to start the year and then I get to watch some pretty decent high school teams finally. It's unfathomable to me that many states will be playing their third game before the kids in Montana play their first but that gets us off topic as to why NDSU is chosen as the Kickoff team year in and year out.
Ha, that happened to me the other day in a convo. I was saying something like, "Man it is so crazy what NDSU has done, winning 4 in a row is unheard of"... My buddy chimed in, "Its actually 5 in a row..."

5 in a row!.......... frickin nuts.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:25 am

ESPN is in love with NDSU, and rightfully so. They've done what two Gamedays there now? And I think the Kickoff game has been successful, but they need at least one of the teams in the game to have a fanbase who will tune in, and maybe even some other football fans who might have heard of that team.

Face it, NDSU is the biggest name if the FCS world right now, by far, it's not even close, and even moreso now that Wentz got drafted.

As for their opponent, it seems like they try and get a highly ranked matchup. CSU is ranked top 10 as someone else said, and won a playoff game last year after going 9-2 in the regular season.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Ha, that happened to me the other day in a convo. I was saying something like, "Man it is so crazy what NDSU has done, winning 4 in a row is unheard of"... My buddy chimed in, "Its actually 5 in a row..."

5 in a row!.......... frickin nuts.
How does that saying go? The best revenge is success. I seriously doubt they're batting an eye now at being rejected for membership into the prestigious Big Sky Conference (nor is South Dakota State).

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:50 am

No doubt NDSU is the biggest name In FCS right now, and they probably give ESPN the best chance to draw a decent rating for this game, but it was just 2 years ago that the inaugural Kickoff game featured EWU and SHSU, both of which have been very successful programs, but neither one has won a title in the last 6 years. My point being that I don't think the game necessarily has to include the defending champion. I would think that MSU's chances of playing in this game can only improve in the future as many of the more well known FCS programs (App State, Ga. Southern, etc.) have bolted for FBS in the last few years. I think MSU could make a very strong case to ESPN for hosting this game. Haven't we been in the top 4 or 5 nationally in attendance pretty much every year since the new EZ was built? The Gallatin valley is obviously a beautiful setting, and I have to believe that at least some ESPN executives have probably vacationed in the area over the years, and are thus familiar with the scenic value of the area, for whatever that may be worth. I know that PF was an easy target during his tenure, but I do believe that Costello will be much more aggressive in marketing MSU athletics and pursuing opportunities such as this, because it would be great exposure for the program.

Of course the key issue, is that we'd have to be willing to bring in a top tier program for this game, which means that we have to figure out some way to work the return game into our schedule. That has proven to be a difficult challenge in recent years, for whatever reason. It can't be a team like SF Austin. It has to be a top 10 caliber program and it's been quite a few years since we have been willing or able to play a team like that on the road.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:54 am

Actually EWU HAS won a National Championship in the last 6 years -- 6 years ago.

Which could have very easily been NDSU -- if you watched the end of that playoff game EWU did not score but it was ruled a TD on the field and no replay to get the call overturned.

There have only been 2 FCS Champions in the last 6 years -- EWU and NDSU.

I really do think that will change this year.

Until it does, the bizon have dibs on the ESPN Kickoff. It's a thing now -- can they match John Wooden's 10 in a row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 am

JDoub wrote:Actually EWU HAS won a National Championship in the last 6 years -- 6 years ago.

Which could have very easily been NDSU -- if you watched the end of that playoff game EWU did not score but it was ruled a TD on the field and no replay to get the call overturned.

Until it does, the bizon have dibs on the ESPN Kickoff. It's a thing now -- can they match John Wooden's 10 in a row?

Not that it matters, but didn't Eastern appear in the first Kickoff game? I thought the announcers were having a blast talking about the red field and continually showing shots of Boise State's blue turf that started all this silly crap on the fields.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 am

Cat Grad wrote:Not that it matters, but didn't Eastern appear in the first Kickoff game? I thought the announcers were having a blast talking about the red field and continually showing shots of Boise State's blue turf that started all this silly crap on the fields.
Yes, the first one like John K said. I'm sure ESPN likes having a National Champion in the Kickoff, but in the FCS there are only 2 to choose from realistically, and 1st choice will always be a 5X repeat champ. Only other champs in the last 10 years that are still FCS were Villanova and Richmond. meh. But NDSU and Montana was an obvious choice last year and a very successful game for everyone involved.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:26 pm

JDoub wrote:Actually EWU HAS won a National Championship in the last 6 years -- 6 years ago.

They could easily win ten in a row. I bet they win it all again this year at least....

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:34 pm

By the way, I know that NDSU has won five in a row. I was implying that when you win 3 in a row, things start changing and people start recognizing you. The Griz have history, but when have they ever been on College Gameday? NDSU has done something most teams never will, and that catches people's eyes.

Punters are people too!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

GoCats18 wrote:By the way, I know that NDSU has won five in a row. I was implying that when you win 3 in a row, things start changing and people start recognizing you. The Griz have history, but when have they ever been on College Gameday? NDSU has done something most teams never will, and that catches people's eyes.
Come on man!!!! Just man up and admit you can't believe how dominate they are at our level and forgot about the other two...and that you want to sweep their success against Power 5 teams under the rug to include but not limited to beating the defending Big 12 champion--in their stadium... :D

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:59 pm

I know EWU won in 2010. I guess I misspoke when I said they hadn't won a NC in six years. It probably would have been more accurate to say that It's been six years since either of them have won a NC. You make a good point about that 2010 EWU-NDSU game. NDSU might have won that year too, if not for that one bad call, so they're that close to going for 7 in a row this fall.

Now it's my turn to correct you though. :wink: UCLA didn't win 10 in a row. They won 7 in a row from 1967-1973, and 10 in 12 years from 1964-1975. Obviously that is still an amazing accomplishment that will likely never be matched.

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Don't the Cats play South Dakota State next year? Not super elite, but somewhat top tier

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:21 pm

DaCats21 wrote:Don't the Cats play South Dakota State next year? Not super elite, but somewhat top tier
Do we have a home and home with them, or are we just paying them a guarantee to come to Bozeman for a single game? South Dakota State is a very good program, but I think we'd have to play someone even higher profile than them, in order to be a realistic candidate for the Kickoff Game. As JDoub pointed out, many of the truly elite programs that have won the NC, or at least played in the NC game over the last 10 years are no longer in FCS, so the options are somewhat limited. East coast teams like Delaware, Richmond, or Villanova might be good candidates, as they are all traditionally strong programs, and might be more appealing to the large TV markets on the east coast. I still don't think that the game has to include NDSU, but no doubt they have a huge advantage between being 5 time national champs, all their recent wins over P5 teams, and Wentz being the #2 pick in the draft.

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:39 pm

John K wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:Don't the Cats play South Dakota State next year? Not super elite, but somewhat top tier
Do we have a home and home with them, or are we just paying them a guarantee to come to Bozeman for a single game? South Dakota State is a very good program, but I think we'd have to play someone even higher profile than them, in order to be a realistic candidate for the Kickoff Game. As JDoub pointed out, many of the truly elite programs that have won the NC, or at least played in the NC game over the last 10 years are no longer in FCS, so the options are somewhat limited. East coast teams like Delaware, Richmond, or Villanova might be good candidates, as they are all traditionally strong programs, and might be more appealing to the large TV markets on the east coast. I still don't think that the game has to include NDSU, but no doubt they have a huge advantage between being 5 time national champs, all their recent wins over P5 teams, and Wentz being the #2 pick in the draft.
Pretty sure I saw on here that its a home and home

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:51 pm

It's a home and home. But the Washington State game was moved from Sept. 16th to Sept. 2nd. That's when the SDSU game was scheduled. Haven't heard if the SDSU game switched to the 16th?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:53 pm

After this years national championship game with the Cats rolling over SDSU, I expect the ESPN kickoff will be an easy one to choose next year! :D

Actually, if both teams end up in the top 10 at the end of this season, that would be a good matchup. Who does NDSU have pencilled in for next year? Who do the Griz have?