Scanning Idaho

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Scanning Idaho

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:33 am

Idaho has been in the same place as the Bobcats, only much longer. Their defense has been a long-time problem. As bad as the Bobcat D seemed last year...gave up 337 points, Idaho's was much worse. They gave up 505. And this has been on-going. 410 in 2014, 561-2013, 509-2012.
Last season they went 4-8 and their fans are talking perhaps a conference championship and a bowl game this year. Hard to understand. Their four wins came vs. FCS Wofford (5-6) 41-38, Troy (4-8) 19-16, LA Monroe (2-11) 27-13 and Texas State (3-9) 38-31.
They did play Southern Cal (9-59) and Auburn (34-56) last year, but it's hard separating those two from the rest of the schedule. They gave up 45 to Ohio, Appy State-47, Arkansas State-49, South Alabama-52, New Mexico State-55. Digging into the 2016 roster a bit shows some experience and talent in the secondary. Hard to tell tho'. These are guys who started the last year or two. The defensive line is potentially huge and returns a couple of studs. But the unit is still very suspect.
The offense looks solid. Talent at QB, receivers and a big, experienced offensive line.
This looks like another opener with Eastern. If our defense hasn't improved by a bunch Idaho is going to put up numbers.
In games like this special teams are often the difference. And the CATS can't give Idaho any short field turnovers....limited mistakes.
This game should be very interesting. The Bobcats will go in as underdogs for sure, but it is a game they can win.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Scanning Idaho

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Rich K wrote:The Vandal opinion of us:

http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... discussion
All six of their fans are adorable. :twisted:

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Well, after reading that forum we will drop our opener by 4-5 touchdowns. I really have no idea why a game against such a power house was ever scheduled. And to top it off NO.ONE on this forum knows squat about football...
I guess that is a good synopsis...
Last edited by RickRund on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:12 pm

RickRund wrote:Well, after reading that forum we will drop our opener by 4-5 touchdowns. I really have no idea why a game against such a power house was ever sceduled. And to top it off NO.ONE on this forum knows squat about football...
Pretty good synopsis, however, you forgot the part about us being arrogant and annoying just like coach Choate.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:48 pm

I will be obnoxious as hell if we win this. I want Idaho to hate MSU and the Big Sky more than they've ever hated anything in their lives.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Cledus wrote:I will be obnoxious as hell if we win this. I want Idaho to hate MSU and the Big Sky more than they've ever hated anything in their lives.
YES!!!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 pm

F#&K THE VANDALS

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Man those guys seem to think they are some amazing school who won a lot but couldn't afford to travel so far :lol:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 pm

I think it's kind of cute how they decide that all Bobcat posters that make comments on their forum are trolls. I suppose that lacking a rival they don't have much of a perception of what high quality trolling is all about. Kind of cute but also kind of sad. It's going to take them a while to get over the butt hurt.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Rich K wrote:I think it's kind of cute how they decide that all Bobcat posters that make comments on their forum are trolls. I suppose that lacking a rival they don't have much of a perception of what high quality trolling is all about. Kind of cute but also kind of sad. It's going to take them a while to get over the butt hurt.
I didn't see any real trolling. Nothing negative from Cats, or BSC fans in general I don't think. Like you said it seems everyone is a troll to them. They clearly have some talent on their team, but they would rather get in a pissing match with non U of I fans than discuss either teams talent =D^

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:33 am

The vandals will crush the Bobcats and the PAC 12, SEC, and Big 12 will be begging them to stay FBS and join their conference. There will be a bidding war to see who gets Idaho. Bidding will start at 3 cents. Idaho will go on to win 3 games and get an invite to the IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER BOWL in bum frick, Missouri shown on ESPN 666, where they play New Mexico State to a 3-3 tie.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

I ran into the same attitude live; while in Reno for the basketball tournament. I think a lot of them have a big chip on their shoulder being a FBS school and wishing they were bigger but being without the fan base, geographical location and teams to really make an impact. They see themselves somewhere they really can't get and look to blame anyone who crosses their path. Note: NOT all of them, just some of them, and they tend to be vocal.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:49 am

I have lived in southern Idaho for 10 years and all of the vandal fans I have talked to say moving to FCS and the Big Sky was a good move. I think most of them are tired of being a doormat to BSU and getting embarrassed every season.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 am

Based on a majority of my encounters with griz fans, I truly thought I'd never come across a more delusional fanbase. Then, however, I read the Vandal board .... wow. :crazy:

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:41 am

joevandal67 does a good job of explaining what led to Idaho's current situation. Basically it was poor planning. For instance, when they went big-time there was a requirement all Division I participants were required to have stadiums with a minimum of 25,000 seats. The paperwork for that construction should have been substantially completed before they ever took the Division 1A field. That was just one of several miscues.
He did mention the Idaho fans favoring FCS wanted to return to the good old days of "slapping uM, MSU and BSU around". In the years of their BSC participation they went 23-9-1 vs. the griz, 14-9-1 vs. Boise State and 17-14 vs. the Bobcats. They played and beat the griz twice in the playoffs. They reached the playoffs 11 times getting to the semi-finals twice. They were eliminated in the first round 7 times and twice each in the quarter and semis. In all games played during their BSC participation they went 191-162-3. To their credit, they were probably the most active playing up. They played Division 1A teams 47 times going 9-38. They beat Southern Mississippi, Oregon State, University of Pacific three times, Colorado State, New Mexico State, San Jose State and Utah State. They were 1-20 vs Pac 8/10/12. They are 72-142 since leaving the BSC. They came out looking decent at the next level going 27-18 and a Bowl win (1996-1999), then for some reason went straight south during the Tom Cable years...11-34 (2000-2003) and never really recovered.
I must say I'm looking very forward to this game and the return of the Vandals. Who knows, they may find more joy in beating the MSU Bobcats than the Texas State Bobcats. I know I'll probably be happier beating Idaho than Bryant. :wink:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am

This article was from March, but even then the author thought the Vandals had a good chance to go bowling and an outside chance of conference champions.
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/3/1 ... tt-linehan
While Linehan wasn't perfect, he did lead a strong passing attack featuring Callen Hightower, Trent Cowan, Deon Watson and Dezmon Epps. Epps' departure matters less because of all the time he already missed, and an improved catch rate from Watson (58.3% yikes) could mean quite the robust vertical attack.

The Vandals also replace one offensive lineman and their starting tailback, but Idaho returns more of their offensive production than any SBC team except Georgia Southern and New Mexico State. Combine that with bringing back nearly the entire offensive line two-deep, and improvements in the passing game should more than offset the loss of Elijhaa Penny.

In addition, factor in that every team outside the top three is either replacing more talent than the Vandals, had less talent to begin with, or both, and the defense could simply improve from "awful" to "bad" and make some huge leaps in the on-field results. They could very easily be the 2015 Tulsa of the conference, win the shootouts this season that they lost last season, and just sneak into a bowl game.

The Idaho Vandals are a very serious threat to go to a bowl game and a dark horse to even win a share of the conference title in 2016. Let that marinate in your head for a bit. We'll reconvene when you've recovered.While Linehan wasn't perfect, he did lead a strong passing attack featuring Callen Hightower, Trent Cowan, Deon Watson and Dezmon Epps. Epps' departure matters less because of all the time he already missed, and an improved catch rate from Watson (58.3% yikes) could mean quite the robust vertical attack.

The Vandals also replace one offensive lineman and their starting tailback, but Idaho returns more of their offensive production than any SBC team except Georgia Southern and New Mexico State. Combine that with bringing back nearly the entire offensive line two-deep, and improvements in the passing game should more than offset the loss of Elijhaa Penny.

In addition, factor in that every team outside the top three is either replacing more talent than the Vandals, had less talent to begin with, or both, and the defense could simply improve from "awful" to "bad" and make some huge leaps in the on-field results. They could very easily be the 2015 Tulsa of the conference, win the shootouts this season that they lost last season, and just sneak into a bowl game.

The Idaho Vandals are a very serious threat to go to a bowl game and a dark horse to even win a share of the conference title in 2016. Let that marinate in your head for a bit. We'll reconvene when you've recovered.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 am

Rich K wrote:The Vandal opinion of us:

http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... discussion

Seems to be a lot of interest by a few of their fans. Up to 6 pages now.
We are about 10.5 point dogs.
I would say with so many unknowns on our end and UI's dimal recent years that is about right.
I am cautiously optimistic reading about recent positives but seeing some issues at the open scrimmage. Am hoping coaches were keeping quite a lot close to the vest in the scrimmage.
Nonetheless I am looking forward to making the trip.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Fellas,

Nothing has changed since the spuds left... They still suck in athletics and the fans act like they could beat Oregon.

For the first time since 1984 I do hope the cats win... because I hate Idaho that much.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

catpound

Post by catpound » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:31 pm

catscat wrote:
RickRund wrote:Well, after reading that forum we will drop our opener by 4-5 touchdowns. I really have no idea why a game against such a power house was ever sceduled. And to top it off NO.ONE on this forum knows squat about football...
Pretty good synopsis, however, you forgot the part about us being arrogant and annoying just like coach Choate.

Ya, I love the annoying coach Choate part...have they forgotten they have the most annoying coach of all time in Petrino, the most annoying next to his brother that is.