Learfield Sports??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Learfield Sports??

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Cataholic wrote:I had brought this up on another thread, but I recall a policy was in place that restricted the replays of any controversial plays. I thought it was a Big Sky policy or maybe it was an MSU policy. Does that restriction exist?
I think the policy changed with the implementation of reviews and challenges. I could be wrong though.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:54 pm

http://www.daktronics.com/news/Pages/Da ... tball.aspx

I guess we could just keep the one that is there already and do this above the new endzone.

Punters are people too!!

RK Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Learfield Sports??

Post by RK Cat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Hate to say it, but the video board is a big waste of money for everyone involved. The fans get very little replay value out of it and the advertisers get very little ROI out of it.
It is basically a bright annoying mini nickel that distracts during the game. Just waiting for the day they sign up a proctologist for the "spread formation replay" Image

I will say that the board is awesome in the playoffs when it is used for its original purpose, REPLAYS

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:22 pm

RK Cat wrote:Hate to say it, but the video board is a big waste of money for everyone involved. The fans get very little replay value out of it and the advertisers get very little ROI out of it.
It is basically a bright annoying mini nickel that distracts during the game. Just waiting for the day they sign up a proctologist for the "spread formation replay" Image

I will say that the board is awesome in the playoffs when it is used for its original purpose, REPLAYS
Yeah your right lets tear it down and go back to what we used to have. Then we can be the only school in the FCS with top 5 attendance that has just a scoreboard. Sounds pretty smart and reasonable.

If your left, you aren’t right.

RK Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Learfield Sports??

Post by RK Cat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
RK Cat wrote:Hate to say it, but the video board is a big waste of money for everyone involved. The fans get very little replay value out of it and the advertisers get very little ROI out of it.

Yeah your right lets tear it down and go back to what we used to have. Then we can be the only school in the FCS with top 5 attendance that has just a scoreboard. Sounds pretty smart and reasonable.
No don't tear it down, but it would be great if they actually used it for something other than crappy Napa-know-how, ridge rock this house, side spinning ads. Like, maybe replays. Or hell maybe even the live action.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:48 pm

RK Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

No don't tear it down, but it would be great if they actually used it for something other than crappy Napa-know-how, ridge rock this house, side spinning ads. Like, maybe replays. Or hell maybe even the live action.
Advertising pays the bills, and every big venue I have been too usually plays more advertising than replays. The only way it changes is if MSU doesn't give into the PC police and does what they want. You won't get rid of advertising, and they shouldn't because it pays the bills, but I do believe ever since we got the board someone has been telling MSU to be as less controversial as possible. It very well could have been Fields or even the Big Sky Cinference for that matter.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 pm

RK Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Seems to me the advertising has been very effective. You are a naysayer yet you still know what ads are playing. It is probably more effective than TV as I can't remember a single commercial I watched today.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
RK Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Advertising pays the bills, and every big venue I have been too usually plays more advertising than replays. The only way it changes is if MSU doesn't give into the PC police and does what they want. You won't get rid of advertising, and they shouldn't because it pays the bills, but I do believe ever since we got the board someone has been telling MSU to be as less controversial as possible. It very well could have been Fields or even the Big Sky Cinference for that matter.
Advertising pays Lerafield's bills. They have all corporate advertising rights. MSU AD gets paid the same whether Learfield sells 100k in advertising or 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Maybe we don't have the right technology or the rights or the money to do this, but most NFL stadiums (at least the ones I've been too) show live action on the video boards and then a replay right after the play is over, and then an ad. Then, when the next play is about to get going, back to live action. It makes sense in a stadium of 70,000+ (if not bigger) so that people in the nosebleeds can see the action on the other side of the field better. I've also found that my wife likes to watch the live action more, because she's used to watching the TV presentation and follows the game better that way (plus, she can USUALLY count on the cameraman not to get faked out on who has the ball, since she has a tough time with that sometimes :D ) I don't know why this isn't done, and there's probably a good reason, but I can't imagine ROOT sports would have a problem with putting the live feed up on the screen. That's free advertisement for them, I would think. Anyone know?

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:27 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Maybe we don't have the right technology or the rights or the money to do this, but most NFL stadiums (at least the ones I've been too) show live action on the video boards and then a replay right after the play is over, and then an ad. Then, when the next play is about to get going, back to live action. It makes sense in a stadium of 70,000+ (if not bigger) so that people in the nosebleeds can see the action on the other side of the field better. I've also found that my wife likes to watch the live action more, because she's used to watching the TV presentation and follows the game better that way (plus, she can USUALLY count on the cameraman not to get faked out on who has the ball, since she has a tough time with that sometimes :D ) I don't know why this isn't done, and there's probably a good reason, but I can't imagine ROOT sports would have a problem with putting the live feed up on the screen. That's free advertisement for them, I would think. Anyone know?
They do show most of the plays live. Most every time the teams are down heading into the north end zone I will watch the screen from the south endzone seats cause I can see the play better.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Cats15 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:Maybe we don't have the right technology or the rights or the money to do this, but most NFL stadiums (at least the ones I've been too) show live action on the video boards and then a replay right after the play is over, and then an ad. Then, when the next play is about to get going, back to live action. It makes sense in a stadium of 70,000+ (if not bigger) so that people in the nosebleeds can see the action on the other side of the field better. I've also found that my wife likes to watch the live action more, because she's used to watching the TV presentation and follows the game better that way (plus, she can USUALLY count on the cameraman not to get faked out on who has the ball, since she has a tough time with that sometimes :D ) I don't know why this isn't done, and there's probably a good reason, but I can't imagine ROOT sports would have a problem with putting the live feed up on the screen. That's free advertisement for them, I would think. Anyone know?
They do show most of the plays live. Most every time the teams are down heading into the north end zone I will watch the screen from the south endzone seats cause I can see the play better.

Really? I've never noticed that before. I thought it was always just the spinny cat head that's up there 50% of the time

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:I've emailed Learfield 4 times asking if everybody they work with can get the same deal as um. No response.
Taking off my MSU hat for a second, isn't it possible that Griz games give Learfield higher TV ratings than MSU, and they used part of those profits to reward UM?

If so, what's wrong with doing so?
Have they given the same "reward" to any of the 119 schools they also work with?
No idea, just throwing out an idea.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:42 am

Trust me. The ONLY reason Learfield is putting up the new scoreboard here is to increase ad revenue. Will it be cool when it shows replays? Yes. Will there be more commercial crap? Yes. Will there be more sandwich races, kiss cams, First Down sponsored by...? Yes. That is today's sports world. You will never get one without the other. Even in WA-Griz, with all of the improvements, the gameday experience is nothing like it used to be. Which is sad...