Learfield Sports??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Learfield Sports??

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Does anyone know if our new AD is going to try and push Learfield Sports into giving us a "gift" of a new scoreboard like they did UM? Just seems pretty lame to drop a ton of money on one and do nothing for the other.

Punters are people too!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Learfield Sports??

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:38 pm

Without knowing anything about anything regarding Leon and his job, the answer is YES! He will be going to everyone who has a vested interest in Bobcat Football and the future of it, and asking for "investments"! That is his job!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:29 am

I think the one we have is still pretty sweet. What is it, 3 years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:33 am

wbtfg wrote:I think the one we have is still pretty sweet. What is it, 3 years old?

Well scoreboard are like cell phones...obsolete after year 2!!! 8)

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 am

wbtfg wrote:I think the one we have is still pretty sweet. What is it, 3 years old?

Actually this will be the 6th season for this scoreboard. It was installed in 2011, when they built the new EZ. I think it's just fine still, but I'd like to see them eliminate the advertising on the margins, and show more replays, score updates from around the BSC and the nation, crowd shots, etc., and fewer kiss cams, milk cams, mustache cams, etc.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 am

You bring up an interesting point/dilemma John K. That is, the purchase of capital equipment without the know-how/man-power to operate it. So I'm not so sure investing in another video-board is a great idea.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 am

I've emailed Learfield 4 times asking if everybody they work with can get the same deal as um. No response.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:19 am

John K wrote:

Actually this will be the 6th season for this scoreboard. It was installed in 2011, when they built the new EZ. I think it's just fine still, but I'd like to see them eliminate the advertising on the margins, and show more replays, score updates from around the BSC and the nation, crowd shots, etc., and fewer kiss cams, milk cams, mustache cams, etc.
I totally agree with you, however the ironic catch22 is that's how learfield makes their money.....advertising. If learfield were to purchase a new board, the only reason for that would be for them to maximize their own ad revenue. I assume UM's screen and software were outdated to the point where it was worth learfields time/money to invest in a new screen so they could then sell more advertising.

I would assume our board/software are still to the point where learfield still makes plenty of money off advertising.

That said, Quinn (MSU's Learfield guy) is a great dude and a helena native

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 am

wbtfg wrote:
John K wrote:

I totally agree with you, however the ironic catch22 is that's how learfield makes their money.....advertising. If learfield were to purchase a new board, the only reason for that would be for them to maximize their own ad revenue. I assume UM's screen and software were outdated to the point where it was worth learfields time/money to invest in a new screen so they could then sell more advertising.

I would assume our board/software are still to the point where learfield still makes plenty of money off advertising.
I think that is how they are paying for the scoreboard. Maybe a % of advertising goes to the payment? There is no way,in my mind, that Learfield is just gifting the scoreboard to um. If they did. Then they would have 100's of other schools wanting the same gift. It's also interesting that Learfield owns ANC. The company that is building the scoreboard.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am

Scoreboard = electronic billboard with a large captive audience.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:39 am

wbtfg wrote:
John K wrote:

That said, Quinn (MSU's Learfield guy) is a great dude and a helena native
I blame Quinn for everything!

8)

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 am

Listen, I am not trying to be the bad guy here, but our scoreboard was outdated the day we installed it. When you sit in the endzone, the scoreboard quality is not that great. I think it is great that people think it is fine, but in this day and age you always have to upgrade and stay ahead of the game. This is about making our stadium one of the best not only in the Big Sky, but in all of FCS. We will probably never top UM, but we can be there step for step with them. I hope that by next season we have a new screen that is bigger and a lot better quality than what is there now.

Punters are people too!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 am

I don't think it is at the top of the to do list.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:47 am

Wasn't the MSU scoreboard built by a Bozeman company that also made the huge wrap around ABC News videoboard on Times Square?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:01 am

GoCats18 wrote:Listen, I am not trying to be the bad guy here, but our scoreboard was outdated the day we installed it. When you sit in the endzone, the scoreboard quality is not that great. I think it is great that people think it is fine, but in this day and age you always have to upgrade and stay ahead of the game. This is about making our stadium one of the best not only in the Big Sky, but in all of FCS. We will probably never top UM, but we can be there step for step with them. I hope that by next season we have a new screen that is bigger and a lot better quality than what is there now.
I get what you are saying, and maybe there are two different conversations. I think that fans would like to see a new bigger brighter scoreboard, however with regard to Learfield I think they are able to meet all of their advertising/moneymaking needs with what we have in place thus I don't see them buying us a new board anytime soon.

This is all speculation, but at UM, I think their board was pretty antiquated and not able to handle many of the promotions that Learfield wanted to do.

Another piece of speculation is maybe that was built into the contract between the grizzlies and learfield. Maybe our contract states something similar if certain goals are met, maybe our contract is completely different. Hard to say without being an insider

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 am

SonomaCat wrote:Scoreboard = electronic billboard with a large captive audience.
I don't think anyone is saying that Learfield?MSU should get rid of the ads. That's just a reality that we have to live with, like it or not, and I think everyone understands that. For one thing though, I question the effectiveness of the ads that are shown on the left and right margins of the screen. Does anybody really pay attention to those ads? Get rid of those so that the main "picture" could be wider. I'd like to see more replays, score updates, crowd shots, etc., but these things could replace the kiss cams, milk cams, mustache cams, etc,, rather than replacing the ads. Even though the ads are never going to entirely go away, maybe they could reduce the amount of them just slightly if necessary, in order to make room for a few more replays.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:29 am

My guess is people pay attention to those ads more than other advertising around the stadium. I would also guess that those ads fetch a higher price tag. I like your idea of getting rid of or lowering the frequency of the kiss cam, etc., but I notice a lot of people like some of those. I don't think the moustache cam is all that great. Definitely need more replays.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:31 am

John K wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:Scoreboard = electronic billboard with a large captive audience.
I don't think anyone is saying that Learfield?MSU should get rid of the ads. That's just a reality that we have to live with, like it or not, and I think everyone understands that. For one thing though, I question the effectiveness of the ads that are shown on the left and right margins of the screen. Does anybody really pay attention to those ads? Get rid of those so that the main "picture" could be wider. I'd like to see more replays, score updates, crowd shots, etc., but these things could replace the kiss cams, milk cams, mustache cams, etc,, rather than replacing the ads. Even though the ads are never going to entirely go away, maybe they could reduce the amount of them just slightly if necessary, in order to make room for a few more replays.
I get what you're saying, and totally agree with you, however, I think winning that battle is a kin to calling up a television station and asking them to cut down on their political ads. It is a huge moneymaker for them and if anything, I imagine they are trying to sell even more on screen advertising.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:36 am

wbtfg wrote:
John K wrote:
I get what you're saying, and totally agree with you, however, I think winning that battle is a kin to calling up a television station and asking them to cut down on their political ads. It is a huge moneymaker for them and if anything, I imagine they are trying to sell even more on screen advertising.

For those who have been to games in Missoula recently, how does their scoreboard usage compare to ours? Do they show more replays, or is it pretty much the same as in Bozeman?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:58 am

John K wrote:
They could also go with smaller supplemental screens dedicated just for advertising (or ribbon style around the stadium for ads as well) thus freeing up the main screen for replays etc.