Tadan Gilman commits to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Another 2017 Montana commit!

Post by John K » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
John K wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/756181005552058369
That must give us about 7 or 8 players from Kalispell Glacier, which is pretty remarkable considering that it's right in UM's back yard, and they are coached by former Griz QB Grady Bennett. I don't think UM has more than 2 or 3 former Glacier players on their roster.
Not to go off topic, but this seemed like the best place for this question. I was driving along the other day and I was wondering the last time we had a scholarship player from Flathead High? And maybe Connor Thomas was from Flathead High. Anyways, it just seems like all the best football players (or the majority at least) go to and therefore, come from, Glacier High, instead of Kalispell High. Is there a reason for that discrepancy?
Glacier has had a much better program than Flathead for at least the last 5-6 years. I believe Glacier opened in 2007, and within just 2-3 years, they were already better than Flathead. But that's not unique to Kalispell. In most of the cities with multiple AA schools, historically one of the programs has been dominant. West has been much better than Senior or Skyview for most of the last 20-30 years or so. CMR has generally been much better than GFH for even longer than that. Helena High has usually had pretty good teams for quite a few years now, but again Capital has been the dominant program in Helena for a very long time. Missoula...well all three programs normally suck, but even there, Big Sky has historically been significantly better than Hellgate or Sentinel over the years.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:19 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
John K wrote:
That must give us about 7 or 8 players from Kalispell Glacier, which is pretty remarkable considering that it's right in UM's back yard, and they are coached by former Griz QB Grady Bennett. I don't think UM has more than 2 or 3 former Glacier players on their roster.
Not to go off topic, but this seemed like the best place for this question. I was driving along the other day and I was wondering the last time we had a scholarship player from Flathead High? And maybe Connor Thomas was from Flathead High. Anyways, it just seems like all the best football players (or the majority at least) go to and therefore, come from, Glacier High, instead of Kalispell High. Is there a reason for that discrepancy?
Quite frankly...

Its easy to transfer in the Flathead Valley
and Flatheads coaching has been fairly bad the last 7 years.

But Flathead has a new coach and he is a good motivator... so may be they will get better.
Flathead's program is coming along. Have a really good QB this year in Bridger Johnson. Possibly the best in the state.
I agree with that. The most recent two incoming classes at Flathead has been thumping on Glacier (Freshman/Soph games). Now of course that doesn't always translate uphill, but just shows that Flathead has a couple of good classes of kids coming in. Paired with a good coaching staff, look for them to make some noise.

The split of the schools really hurt Flathead football when it happened. When they split, most of the football assistants applied and got the new positions at Glacier. Grady knew he was losing almost all of his Flathead staff and was going to have a heckuva rebuilding process, so he chose to go up to Glacier as well. So the program that he built was just continued at the new school.

And yes, it is very easy to go to a school out of your boundaries here in the Flathead. It is an odd dynamic, though. The middle school that is far and away the biggest feeds both high schools. So a LOT of friendships are made during those years among kids that are going to different high schools. So the bitter rivalries that exist elsewhere (especially like Billings where high schools have pretty dedicated feeder middle schools) aren't as strong here. But most youth sports teams are divided up between the elementary schools. So when I see kids go to the 'wrong' school, it isn't all that often for a sport because they've been playing youth sports with kids that will most likely be going to the same high school. Middle school just mixes that up for a couple years. It happens some, and definitely goes both ways. But in no way is the transfer issue as pronounced as it is in Missoula. I personally know several kids that have gone to Flathead from within Glacier's lines, and vice versa. You don't see many Whitefish or CFalls kids come down to the Kalispell schools, but you do see Bigfork kids come up.

And to get this back on topic...congratulations Taden! I think we are all lucky that we'll get to watch him play for the Cats. Great kid (not just a great football player).

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Tadan Gilman commits to MSU

Post by superbobcat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:03 am

Keep the talent bus rolling Coach Choate!! I like the "ATHLETES" that we are bringing in. I think this staff knows what they are doing in the recruiting business. \:D/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:49 am

Gilman relieved by choosing Montana State before senior season
http://skylinesportsmt.com/gilman-relie ... or-season/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:55 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Gilman relieved by choosing Montana State before senior season
http://skylinesportsmt.com/gilman-relie ... or-season/
I realize players, upon commiting, have nice things to say about the coaches, but Gilman's comments aren't run-of-the-mill. I don't think he was leaning MSU prior to the process. Certainly sounds like Choate's crew has a good formula.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:08 am

It's been awhile, but I remember his dad, Mark, playing basketball for the Braves. At the 1991 state tournament he led his team from a no. 4 seed to the championship game. They grabbed a 10-0 lead on Helena, but ended up on the losing end. If my memory serves, he was still named MVP. My memory isn't so good on this next part, but he and Chris Spoja were involved in one the most athletically spectacular plays I've ever witnessed. I'm not sure which one had the ball, thinking Gilman. Anyway he came barreling downcourt and Spoja was standing between him and the basket. Both players were specimens for their age. Both 6-4/6-5 and built. Spoja stepped up to stop Gilman, who took off for a dunk from just inside the FT line. They both went up very high, Gilman (or was it Spoja?) went for the throw down, but was just long on it. The ball caromed off the back iron all the back to half court and the Metra was on its feet.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
John K wrote:
Quite frankly...

But Flathead has a new coach and he is a good motivator... so may be they will get better.
Thanks for the answer. It's interesting that, as you imply, they let all the good athletes go to one school. You would think someone in the school district or somewhere would try to stop that

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:12 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
John K wrote:
Quite frankly...

Thanks for the answer. It's interesting that, as you imply, they let all the good athletes go to one school. You would think someone in the school district or somewhere would try to stop that
Isn't Flathead's new head coach Kyle Sampson, who is new GFHS head coach Mark Sampson's son?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 am

I'm curious....both Jobmans dad and Gilmans dad played at Nebraska. Wonder if they overlapped at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

wbtfg wrote:I'm curious....both Jobmans dad and Gilmans dad played at Nebraska. Wonder if they overlapped at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Michael's dad was late 80's and Mark Gilman was mid-90s.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 am

Both Randall Jobman and Mark Gilman were captains for Nebraska. Jobman in 1989 and Gilman in 1995.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Saw Glacier play Helena High tonight and.....Hashley is a beast! Reminds me of Caleb Kidder.

The real surprise is Tadan Gilman! He's playing QB and is one of the best I've seen in years. I hope he's committed! He can really spin it! Thows just like Prukop, only has a tremendous touch on the long ball. He's about 6-2, 200lbs and runs a very efficient game. Very athletic, Bodywise reminds me of Ron Bain from Kalispell but is taller.

2024 Resume dominance

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 am

Helcat72 wrote:Saw Glacier play Helena High tonight and.....Hashley is a beast! Reminds me of Caleb Kidder.

The real surprise is Tadan Gilman! He's playing QB and is one of the best I've seen in years. I hope he's committed! He can really spin it! Thows just like Prukop, only has a tremendous touch on the long ball. He's about 6-2, 200lbs and runs a very efficient game. Very athletic, Bodywise reminds me of Ron Bain from Kalispell but is taller.
Interesting...... I wonder if he could end up staying at the qb position? Wasn't he pegged as a LB or safety?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:08 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:Saw Glacier play Helena High tonight and.....Hashley is a beast! Reminds me of Caleb Kidder.

Interesting...... I wonder if he could end up staying at the qb position? Wasn't he pegged as a LB or safety?
Will put up good QB numbers this year but Tadan is the real deal at OLB. But overall he is just a really good athlete. A natural.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:20 am

VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Will put up good QB numbers this year but Tadan is the real deal at OLB. But overall he is just a really good athlete. A natural.
May be a dumb question, but wouldn't LB maybe limit him? Guys that are natural athletes I like to just be near the ball all the time. Guessing if he plays line backer it would be the SAM position? Glad to hear he had a great game. Kind of like a Balue Chapman player a little bit isn't he??

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Going to be hard to keep them....

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:Going to be hard to keep them....
Keep them committed? Please.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Bigger schools will be calling and some have.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Well aware Scats. But if you haven't noticed, Choate's staff has already gotten verbals from some pretty sought after kids. I guess we won't be 100% sure until signing day but I fully believe in Choate's recruiting thus far. The kids want to be Cats.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Well aware Scats. But if you haven't noticed, Choate's staff has already gotten verbals from some pretty sought after kids. I guess we won't be 100% sure until signing day but I fully believe in Choate's recruiting thus far. The kids want to be Cats.
Hasley is almost a sure thing...

Gilman, does not have the family ties.