Big Sky Kickoff coverage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Kickoff coverage

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 am

TomCat88 wrote:He's had some interesting moments so far. His post-NDSU victory celebration(?), Gregorak situation/spin, Gustafson comment and now this. His lack of statements about players leaving/dismissed is strange too. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the Joey Counts DUI.
Wasn't Counts one of the players who got in trouble last year for stealing beer and trespassing or something like that?

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 am

Stitt embodies the ethos we love to hate for a team we love to hate. He's almost a character in the eyes of his foes. His legend will only grow.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Idaho will be competitive, tradition-laden program upon return to the Big Sky
http://skylinesportsmt.com/idaho-will-b ... o-big-sky/

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Unbalanced scheduling continues to be controversial among Big Sky Conference coaches
http://skylinesportsmt.com/unbalanced-s ... y-coaches/
I believe this frustrates most fans, as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 am

ROCKING R BAR PRESENTS: Big Sky Kickoff coaches videos — Eastern Washington head coach Beau Baldwin
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bsc-kickoff- ... u-baldwin/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:16 am

ROCKING R BAR PRESENTS: Big Sky Kickoff player videos — Northern Arizona sophomore quarterback Case Cookus
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... se-cookus/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJgRDEV0LHU

I'm 30 seconds in to JP Flynn's interview and the first thing he says is "Being put first by your head coach is something new this year....."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 am

wbtfg wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJgRDEV0LHU

I'm 30 seconds in to JP Flynn's interview and the first thing he says is "Being put first by your head coach is something new this year....."
It is awesome to see how much respect the players seem to have for Choate already. The kind of coach that they would run through a brick wall for. That alone should be worth a couple of extra wins every season. I know he hasn't coached a single game yet, but I am unbelievably stoked about the Choate era. PF took a lot of flack throughout his tenure at MSU, but give credit where credit is due. His very last hire as the AD, may turn out to be the best one he ever made.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:16 pm

John K wrote:

It is awesome to see how much respect the players seem to have for Choate already. The kind of coach that they would run through a brick wall for. That alone should be worth a couple of extra wins every season. I know he hasn't coached a single game yet, but I am unbelievably stoked about the Choate era. PF took a lot of flack throughout his tenure at MSU, but give credit where credit is due. His very last hire as the AD, may turn out to be the best one he ever made.
Doesn't this also reflect on Ash? That quote by JP is a direct shot at Rob IMO. From that statement, and others made along the same lines, it would appear that the timing was right to give the program to someone new.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 am

All of the player response I've seen reflects similar support for the change. I'm really excited for the program.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:32 am

Players I've talked to have said the beginning of the end started way back in 2010 at the Cat-Griz game. The players were ready to tear the Griz to shreds, but Ash gave a really low-key pre-game speech. They had a couple more good years after that, but from the sounds of it (and the looks of it) that just stuck with them and I imagine Ash was the same before following Cat-Griz games.

I can understand that it would hang with them because when you've pumped so much of your career into one game and the coach doesn't match that intensity it can send a poor, lasting message.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 am

BobcatOninetails wrote:
John K wrote:

Doesn't this also reflect on Ash? That quote by JP is a direct shot at Rob IMO. From that statement, and others made along the same lines, it would appear that the timing was right to give the program to someone new.
Agreed

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:00 am

thefrank1 wrote:All of the player response I've seen reflects similar support for the change. I'm really excited for the program.
I would think that even those fans and boosters who were most adamantly opposed to the coaching change, must now recognize that it was the right decision. I haven't felt so much excitement surrounding the program for a very long time. Again, I know that he hasn't coached a single game as a head coach yet, but I personally am firmly convinced that we made a great hire, and that the future of the program is extremely bright.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:21 am

John K wrote:

Choate was PFs second choice. Initially offered job to his homeboy from Missouri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:03 pm

iaafan wrote:Players I've talked to have said the beginning of the end started way back in 2010 at the Cat-Griz game. The players were ready to tear the Griz to shreds, but Ash gave a really low-key pre-game speech. They had a couple more good years after that, but from the sounds of it (and the looks of it) that just stuck with them and I imagine Ash was the same before following Cat-Griz games.

I can understand that it would hang with them because when you've pumped so much of your career into one game and the coach doesn't match that intensity it can send a poor, lasting message.
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:22 pm

I know how I feel about it. A coach should try to match his player's intensity and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, if your team is business-like, be business-like; if they're a bunch of crazed dogs, be a crazed dog. You have to find a way to let them know you're with them even if they aren't doing things the way you would.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 pm

iaafan wrote:I know how I feel about it. A coach should try to match his player's intensity and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, if your team is business-like, be business-like; if they're a bunch of crazed dogs, be a crazed dog. You have to find a way to let them know you're with them even if they aren't doing things the way you would.
"He's not a player's coach" a phrase I've heard since he first took over. As a college coach it is incumbent upon you to build player relationships and help prepare them for life after college. If you take the CEO approach to coaching, I believe you disenfranchise yourself by keeping players and coaches at arms length. Our kids deserve good teachers and mentors.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Common Cat wrote:
iaafan wrote:I know how I feel about it. A coach should try to match his player's intensity and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, if your team is business-like, be business-like; if they're a bunch of crazed dogs, be a crazed dog. You have to find a way to let them know you're with them even if they aren't doing things the way you would.
"He's not a player's coach" a phrase I've heard since he first took over. As a college coach it is incumbent upon you to build player relationships and help prepare them for life after college. If you take the CEO approach to coaching, I believe you disenfranchise yourself by keeping players and coaches at arms length. Our kids deserve good teachers and mentors.
That was very well said, and I agree completely!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm

John K wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I probably disagree, but that's OK - we all want the same thing! We've also hashed this out on this board in the past and I'll restate my opinion that at head coach does not have to be a cheerleader to be successful, Belichick is a great example. There are also very successful college coaches that don't ever give the rah rah pump you up speeches. Remember how Kramer used to talk about how he was guilty of getting players TOO amped up at times? It's about controlling the intensity. If you really need that to happen to get the players to play their best, maybe the assistant coaches play that role. Again, agree to disagree and believe me, if Choate's fired up, intense demeanor leads to as many or more wins and Big Sky titles as Ash did, I'll be stoked!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:17 pm

catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I probably disagree, but that's OK - we all want the same thing! We've also hashed this out on this board in the past and I'll restate my opinion that at head coach does not have to be a cheerleader to be successful, Belichick is a great example. There are also very successful college coaches that don't ever give the rah rah pump you up speeches. Remember how Kramer used to talk about how he was guilty of getting players TOO amped up at times? It's about controlling the intensity. If you really need that to happen to get the players to play their best, maybe the assistant coaches play that role. Again, agree to disagree and believe me, if Choate's fired up, intense demeanor leads to as many or more wins and Big Sky titles as Ash did, I'll be stoked!
It's not about the coach being a cheerleader. It's about him forming strong relationships with his players, and them feeling that he always has their back. Coach Ash had many fine attributes, but I don't necessarily think that this sort of thing was his strong suit.
Last edited by John K on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.