Game day experience ideas.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Game day experience ideas.

Post by John K » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:27 am

superbobcat wrote:I hear both sides of the tailgating issue. Part of the fun of game day is the fun at the tailgates. I love walking through and visiting, having a beer, and bumming a bbq. However as a fan of the game, it bothers me to see the lack of support through the third quarter and maybe longer. I think one of the most important times for a team to feed off of the stadium energy is right out of halftime. I guess as a true fan, you need to decide what has priority, the beer or the team. Personally I choose the team, but most people don't and they don't for some time. I don't pay attention to much of the happenings on the other side of the mountains, but the TV games I watch it sure appears that their fans get their butts in the seat faster after halftime or they don't leave at all. Your thoughts on that?

Maybe our stadium needs to give a better "2 minute Warning" that tailgaters can hear in the parking lot to get back to the game. (AIR RAID SIREN) :thumbup: It is easy, after a few beers, to not pay attention to the game starting and sometimes I get to enjoying the entertainment and the game slips my mind for a bit. I just hate to see the lack of energy from the crowd when our players could use it.

As far as beer sales in the stadium, again I have mixed emotions. As an adult I can handle it if I have someone having to much fun sitting next to me and probably would have fun with them. However, as a dad who takes his boys to all home games and want them to have fun, I don't enjoy the times that some pickled person sits next to my kids gets out of line and silly. It hasn't happened a lot, but I would say at least twice a year we deal with it. I want my boys to be fans of the game, not subdued to Bud Weiser falling all over them and cussing like a sailor. Again we deal with it because we love the CATS, but as a fan and a family man, I want my kids to do right and not be subjected to beer the entire game.

Just my thoughts.
Regarding your last paragraph, I think beer sales in the stadium would result in fewer intoxicated people in the stadium, not more. I believe the original plan was to limit each person to two 20 oz. beers for the entire game (or something like that), and so if they can't go out and tailgate at halftime, most people aren't going to get very drunk on 40 oz. of beer over the course of a three hour game. As for UM and the issue with people not coming back after halftime, I don't think it's any better over there than it is in Bozeman.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:04 am

superbobcat wrote:I hear both sides of the tailgating issue. Part of the fun of game day is the fun at the tailgates. I love walking through and visiting, having a beer, and bumming a bbq. However as a fan of the game, it bothers me to see the lack of support through the third quarter and maybe longer. I think one of the most important times for a team to feed off of the stadium energy is right out of halftime. I guess as a true fan, you need to decide what has priority, the beer or the team. Personally I choose the team, but most people don't and they don't for some time. I don't pay attention to much of the happenings on the other side of the mountains, but the TV games I watch it sure appears that their fans get their butts in the seat faster after halftime or they don't leave at all. Your thoughts on that?

Maybe our stadium needs to give a better "2 minute Warning" that tailgaters can hear in the parking lot to get back to the game. (AIR RAID SIREN) :thumbup: It is easy, after a few beers, to not pay attention to the game starting and sometimes I get to enjoying the entertainment and the game slips my mind for a bit. I just hate to see the lack of energy from the crowd when our players could use it.

As far as beer sales in the stadium, again I have mixed emotions. As an adult I can handle it if I have someone having to much fun sitting next to me and probably would have fun with them. However, as a dad who takes his boys to all home games and want them to have fun, I don't enjoy the times that some pickled person sits next to my kids gets out of line and silly. It hasn't happened a lot, but I would say at least twice a year we deal with it. I want my boys to be fans of the game, not subdued to Bud Weiser falling all over them and cussing like a sailor. Again we deal with it because we love the CATS, but as a fan and a family man, I want my kids to do right and not be subjected to beer the entire game.

Just my thoughts.
Well then you haven't paid close enough attention to Missoula or have never been to a game there. They absolutely have the same problem we do after half-time, and many posters from egriz would probably say its worse over there than in bozeman. Getting to tailgates in Missoula from the stadium is more difficult than in Bozeman and it actually takes longer to get back from your tailgate to the stadium. I have been to every cat-griz in the past decade and the start of the second half in Missoula is empty just like in Bozeman and that's during cat-griz.

If your left, you aren’t right.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:13 am

Just my thoughts.
As far as the other side of the mountains, they deal with the same issue too. They fire their cannon at 5 minutes before half, which doesn't really have a huge effect. If you are an opposing team, you want the ball in the 2nd half to start because the stadium is quiet.

Tailgating is a big tradition in Montana on either side of the mountains. Like has been said, that is probably the biggest part of the game day experience. Football purists don't love that fact as it is all about the team and winning games. But there are WAY more fans that are there for the social experience, which includes halftime abilities. Nothing like grabbing a homemade hot bowl of chili or stew on a cold winter day at half to warm up (in addition to reloading on beverages). Or putting on an extra layer, reloading your hand warmers, etc., etc., etc. All without standing in line. You take away halftime tailgates, you drop attendance. There's not THAT many people that are there simply for a football game. If my wife is cold, she'd just leave at halftime if there was no reentry and it wouldn't bother her one bit. Or if she knew she'd be cold, she just wouldn't come.

I agree with you on beer in the stadium in the general public. It is a family venue and plenty of options exist currently for somebody to drink all they want. Having it out in the open in front of everybody in the stands, including exposure on TV, is not a good look.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 am

tdub wrote:

Just my thoughts.
As far as the other side of the mountains, they deal with the same issue too. They fire their cannon at 5 minutes before half, which doesn't really have a huge effect. If you are an opposing team, you want the ball in the 2nd half to start because the stadium is quiet.

Tailgating is a big tradition in Montana on either side of the mountains. Like has been said, that is probably the biggest part of the game day experience. Football purists don't love that fact as it is all about the team and winning games. But there are WAY more fans that are there for the social experience, which includes halftime abilities. Nothing like grabbing a homemade hot bowl of chili or stew on a cold winter day at half to warm up (in addition to reloading on beverages). Or putting on an extra layer, reloading your hand warmers, etc., etc., etc. All without standing in line. You take away halftime tailgates, you drop attendance. There's not THAT many people that are there simply for a football game. If my wife is cold, she'd just leave at halftime if there was no reentry and it wouldn't bother her one bit. Or if she knew she'd be cold, she just wouldn't come.

I agree with you on beer in the stadium in the general public. It is a family venue and plenty of options exist currently for somebody to drink all they want. Having it out in the open in front of everybody in the stands, including exposure on TV, is not a good look.
I don't think it's a big secret that people drink at football games, so I don't believe that "having it out in the open" is really that big of a deal. How is a college football game any different than concerts or rodeos or Pioneer League baseball games, in that regard? And again, the plan was to limit each person to two 20 oz. cups of beer for the entire game (if I remember correctly). I guarantee you that most people will drink less, not more, if they can't leave the stadium at halftime. Very few people are going to get hammered, consuming 40 oz. of beer over the course of 3 to 3-1/2 hours while they are in the stadium.

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:11 pm

I think they should have a few tailgate spots that you can rent just for one game. There are times when we have a group of people come to games who are not season ticket holders and it would be nice to be able to reserve a tailgate spot just for that game. I'm sure they would have no problem renting them out, if fact you probably would have to get your reservation in early to get one.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:28 pm

How about a message board for those that have a spot and arnt going to make it. Sure they would rent it or let someone use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Hopefully Costello and his new team will address these gameday needs.

Crank up the volume!!!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:27 pm

My hope is that we could change half time to 30 minutes. Relatively sure the teams could use 10 more minutes. It appears however that a large number of folks believe games last too long. One of the possible solutions is to reduce half time to 12 minutes. Might be the solution sought by those not wanting folks to leave at half time but damn, ill morn the loss

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:49 pm

77matcat wrote:My hope is that we could change half time to 30 minutes. Relatively sure the teams could use 10 more minutes. It appears however that a large number of folks believe games last too long. One of the possible solutions is to reduce half time to 12 minutes. Might be the solution sought by those not wanting folks to leave at half time but damn, ill morn the loss

Are there any constraints established by the NCAA with regard to the length of halftime? Adding 10 minutes to the total length of a 3 to 3-1/2 hour game isn't really very significant in my opinion (only about 5% longer). I was going to suggest lengthening halftime too, but I didn't know if MSU has the authority to do that, or if the length is mandated by the NCAA? I don't think there would be much support for reducing it to 12 minutes.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:51 pm

HiLineCat wrote:I think they should have a few tailgate spots that you can rent just for one game. There are times when we have a group of people come to games who are not season ticket holders and it would be nice to be able to reserve a tailgate spot just for that game. I'm sure they would have no problem renting them out, if fact you probably would have to get your reservation in early to get one.
That would be us if we should be traveling and are close by...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:36 pm

John K wrote:
77matcat wrote:My hope is that we could change half time to 30 minutes. Relatively sure the teams could use 10 more minutes. It appears however that a large number of folks believe games last too long. One of the possible solutions is to reduce half time to 12 minutes. Might be the solution sought by those not wanting folks to leave at half time but damn, ill morn the loss

Are there any constraints established by the NCAA with regard to the length of halftime? Adding 10 minutes to the total length of a 3 to 3-1/2 hour game isn't really very significant in my opinion (only about 5% longer). I was going to suggest lengthening halftime too, but I didn't know if MSU has the authority to do that, or if the length is mandated by the NCAA? I don't think there would be much support for reducing it to 12 minutes.
Halftimes are set by rule. I would imagine at the NCAA level it would have to be agreed to change by both AD's and approved by the conference office

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

tdub

Post by tdub » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:31 pm

John K wrote:
tdub wrote:

Just my thoughts.

I don't think it's a big secret that people drink at football games, so I don't believe that "having it out in the open" is really that big of a deal. How is a college football game any different than concerts or rodeos or Pioneer League baseball games, in that regard? And again, the plan was to limit each person to two 20 oz. cups of beer for the entire game (if I remember correctly). I guarantee you that most people will drink less, not more, if they can't leave the stadium at halftime. Very few people are going to get hammered, consuming 40 oz. of beer over the course of 3 to 3-1/2 hours while they are in the stadium.
I don't think it is that big of a deal either. It is different than concerts and Pioneer League ball, though. A concert is a total party atmosphere and they are professional musicians and typically it is not televised. You don't usually see a concert where a large amount of alcohol consumed as a family event (meaning lots of younger kids - not teenagers). Pioneer League is also professional sport and a baseball game is not a party atmosphere and also not televised. So it is rare you see somebody getting overly liquored up at a baseball game.

But football is a raucous enough atmosphere that having beer spilled/splashed on you if open drinking was allowed is very likely (I've had it happen to me in WaGriz sitting right below the rail of the stadium club seats where they do serve). The problem isn't the couple of drinks themselves in the stadium. It the copious amounts consumed outside and then continued on the inside of the stadium. And as far a television, there are enough crowd shots and the crowd is such a part of the game that showing it everywhere isn't really what college/amateur sports is all about and the image the University would like to portray. Is it a big deal? No, I don't think so. Just providing some additional discussion as to why I think they don't do it. I don't think it would make one bit of difference in the overall amount that people drink. People will drink what they want no matter what the rules say.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

bobcatmaniac

Post by bobcatmaniac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm

77matcat wrote:How about a message board for those that have a spot and arnt going to make it. Sure they would rent it or let someone use it.

I would rent mine for 50$[emoji16]

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:46 pm

How about a traffic control/movement plan that would reduce the wait to get out of the parking lot and moving off campus?

My wife says hot water in the restroom sinks would be a definite plus.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 pm

I heard Ash say at a fund raiser that the empty seats to start the second half are just part of the game day. He coached the players to expect it, and he wanted the deadness to take the energy away from the other team and not the Cats. His goal was to earn more people by starting the second half with excitement, but he never said that the fans should have to come back. It's a choice. They can do whatever they want.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Take away re-entry and I'm done paying for a tailgate spot. And I'm not alone in that.

Agree 1,000%! I would take it a step further and say I would probably be done with my season tickets as well.

We have little kids and there are a million reasons why we need to be able to go in and out of the stadium.
100% agreed!
This baffles me. Tailgating is awesome, but it shouldn't be more important than the inside the stadium experience. I have young kids as well and they are not concerned with returning to the tailgate at halftime.

From a recruiting perspective, we are pursuing better D1 recruits that are courted by schools where every butt is in their seat for the second half kickoff. What does a 17 year old kid think when half the stadium is empty at the second half kickoff?

Maybe as a concession, it is okay to leave at half but re-entry stops at second half kickoff. If you don't make it back in time, you don't get back in.
Your fighting a losing battle here. I have two tailgate spots and I go out there at half every game and never miss the opening kick-off of the second half. If you start to do no re-entry those people who aren't back before second half will never make it back in. So do you want empty seats at the start of the second half or do you want empty seats for the remaining of the game? Kids love tailgates and going out at half to throw the ball around and do kid stuff, if you don't believe me come over to our tailgate on Kagy and you will see hundreds of kids playing. You simply can't take away tailgating at half-time, it would be terrible for turnout at games, especially in the second half.
"So do you want empty seats at the start of the second half or do you want empty seats for the remaining of the game?"

Nailed it!
I think these are great points and I completely understand your positions. I understand that it might be a sacrifice to give up tailgating at halftime. My follow up question is what is the best situation for the team (not for you personally): butts in the seat to scream like crazy or half an empty stadium at kickoff like it is currently?

Also, there is no tailgate issue at high school games or professional games. They even allow re-entry at high school. There is plenty of time to party/play both before and after games. If we want the best environment for our players and program (such as recruiting), I think you have to consider eliminating re-entry.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 am

Just my thoughts.
Great first post! I disagree with your thoughts on selling beer in the stadium, but I can appreciate your concern. We already see the occasional overly drunk person and it is not uncommon for people to sneak in booze. I think selling beer in the stadium will actually eliminate the urge for people to sneak in a pint of whiskey.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:54 am

catscat wrote:How about a traffic control/movement plan that would reduce the wait to get out of the parking lot and moving off campus?

Great point on traffic. 2 years ago they routed both lanes of Kagy traffic from the stadium west to 19th. It worked great! Not sure why, but they reverted back to two way traffic last year and it created jams. Somebody should take a close look at traffic flow because it can be improved.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:46 am

Cataholic wrote:
catscat wrote:How about a traffic control/movement plan that would reduce the wait to get out of the parking lot and moving off campus?

Great point on traffic. 2 years ago they routed both lanes of Kagy traffic from the stadium west to 19th. It worked great! Not sure why, but they reverted back to two way traffic last year and it created jams. Somebody should take a close look at traffic flow because it can be improved.
Traffic is definitely an issue. I can leave either Sanford or Neyland Stadium and be on the main highways in less time than either MSU or UM and both Georgia and Tennessee have more people tailgating and partying than those who watch the game. The Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville has at three times as many people getting together for the week who in actuality could give a rats arse about the football game and they don't have the traffic issues we have.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:44 am

Cataholic wrote:

They couldn't do that any longer due to the addition of the stadium view apartments and Kagy being the only access available to them. There are some huge plans in the works (think it was even discussed on here) for improving Kagy with additional lanes and such in the coming years. Until then, I'm not really sure there is too much that can be done unfortunately.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon