Anyone better than Gregorak?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Anyone better than Gregorak?

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 am

Over the past four years he's been the DC at UM. Has anyone in the BSC had a better defense than his over the past four years? I graded out his defenses based on points allowed and yards per play (total, rushing) and pass efficiency defense each of the last four years and came out with an average of 12.75 (lower is better). 3.5 for points allowed, 2.5 for total defense, 2.5 for rush defense and 4.25 for pass defense.

Name a BSC team that you think might've been better during that span and I'll run them through the same grading system.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Anyone better than Gregorak?

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:01 am

<<crickets>>

How does Cal Poly look over those years?

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 am

91catAlum wrote:<<crickets>>

How does Cal Poly look over those years?
Poly was 11th in scoring defense in the BSC and 9th in total defense last season. So I suspect their numbers won't even be close, but they were pretty good previous to that.

Over the past 4 years (just from memory alone), I think the other one that would probably grade out pretty well is SUU.
Last edited by tdub on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:11 am

Southern Utah maybe?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am

Poly was really good in 2012 and 2013, but like tdub said they tailed off. They come in at 20.0. Scoring - 4.75, Total 5.25, Rush 4.0, Pass 6.0.

I ran So. Utah. They came in at 25.75. 5.25 scoring, 5.5 total, 7.0 rush, 8.0 pass.

So far it's:
UM 12.75
Poly 20.0
SUU 25.75

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 am

It's comical how Griz fans have thrown him under the bus. He's gone from them wanting him as head coach before they hired Stitt to be being a terrible coach. We are lucky to have him. We will see a much improved defense. I like his passion.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52 am

iaafan wrote:Over the past four years he's been the DC at UM. Has anyone in the BSC had a better defense than his over the past four years? I graded out his defenses based on points allowed and yards per play (total, rushing) and pass efficiency defense each of the last four years and came out with an average of 12.75 (lower is better). 3.5 for points allowed, 2.5 for total defense, 2.5 for rush defense and 4.25 for pass defense.

Name a BSC team that you think might've been better during that span and I'll run them through the same grading system.
How does North Dakota stack up?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 am

UND was really, really bad defensively in 2012 and 2013. They end up at 32.0 over the four year period, but over the last two they're at 20.5. UM over the past two years was at 8.0. UND's pass defense has been awful the past two years or they would be much closer to UM, however, even if it had been No. 1 it would still be behind UM 8.0 - 9.5.

So far it's:
UM 12.75
Poly 20.0
SUU 25.75
UND 32.0

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am

I think the bigger and more important question would be how does this stack up with the rest of the FCS? I'm guessing the best defensive team in the big sky still sits at probably 30 out of 125 teams in the rest of the subdivision...if that. My point is that leading the big sky and defense is still not getting it done nationally not even close

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 pm

[quote="Grizaddict"]I think the bigger and more important question would be how does this stack up with the rest of the FCS? I'm guessing the best defensive team in the big sky still sits at probably 30 out of 125 teams in the rest of the subdivision...if that. My point is that leading the big sky and defense is still not getting it done nationally not even close[/quote]
That's not a good approach. The BSC is one of the best offensive conferences in the county year-in and year-out and has been for many years. Considering that, the defenses in the BSC are going to give up more yards than other conferences.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:08 pm

The only issue I ever had with Gregorak was his bend but don't break mentality.

In games where UM's D was able to hold the other teams out of the endzone and forced FG's, the Griz usually won.
However, the whole team was deflated when the opposing O would go on a ten play 80 yard drive that used up 8 minutes of clock. During those times TG refused to change things up. And although UM's Linebackers were/are very good, it seemed that they were held back and rarely let loose to go make plays. This is why Griz fans either love or hate TG.

I said this in other posts, TG would have made msu a much better team with the O msu had. But can he do it with the mess that he was left and an Offense that won't be as good as 2015...

My guess is there will be many cat fans happy with the "better" play in 2016.
And there will be equal amount of cat fans that want to run him out of town because the cat D is so....Vanilla.

I dont know that TG presence will equate to more wins in Bozeman.

The real way to judge TG will be in his third year at msu...

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 pm

I would wager that UM gave up less long, time consuming drives than any team in the BSC. Everyone does that from time to time.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If he gets away from what got him there and the other team scores, then he still looks bad.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17 pm

iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:I think the bigger and more important question would be how does this stack up with the rest of the FCS? I'm guessing the best defensive team in the big sky still sits at probably 30 out of 125 teams in the rest of the subdivision...if that. My point is that leading the big sky and defense is still not getting it done nationally not even close
That's not a good approach. The BSC is one of the best offensive conferences in the county year-in and year-out and has been for many years. Considering that, the defenses in the BSC are going to give up more yards than other conferences.
I disagree. It's the only approach if you're actually looking to make noise outside of our conference and go on a deep playoff run or win a national championship. Who cares if you lead the Big Sky in defense when that team can't advance past the second round.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm

You're correct that you need a good defense to make noise outside the conference, however, you can't compare the stats of teams in the BSC to the stats of teams in the other conferences and consider them uniform. Unless you think the BSC is weak offensively, but I don't think anyone thinks that. So if you play in a strong offensive conference, then you're going to have relatively lower ranking defenses nationally than teams that play in weaker offensive conferences. That's what makes it difficult to compare teams across the country. But inside a conference where teams play a lot of common opponents you can make stronger comparisons.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:37 pm

iaafan wrote:You're correct that you need a good defense to make noise outside the conference, however, you can't compare the stats of teams in the BSC to the stats of teams in the other conferences and consider them uniform. Unless you think the BSC is weak offensively, but I don't think anyone thinks that. So if you play in a strong offensive conference, then you're going to have relatively lower ranking defenses nationally than teams that play in weaker offensive conferences. That's what makes it difficult to compare teams across the country. But inside a conference where teams play a lot of common opponents you can make stronger comparisons.
I agree with that, and I understand the point you are making. I'm just saying our conference needs to get a lot stronger defensively overall, from top to bottom, before leading the conference in defensive categories translates nationally. We haven't seen a big sky team make any post season noise in a while now.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:44 pm

I believe this was one of the reasons TG and Stitt had some issues. UM's highly regarded D (well for the BSC) was terrible on opening drives. So TG had a week (really much more) to prepare the team and the outcome was piss poor...

Yes, he made good adjustments, but this percentage is horrible at any level in any conference. I bet there are Arena football teams with better stats!

9 of the 13 games UM played in 2015 the opposing team scored (8TD's/ 1 FG) on the first drive.

NDSU 8 Plays 75 yards 4:21 (Touchdown)
Cal-Poly (Turn over on downs)
LIBERTY 10 plays 74 yards 5:38 (Touchdown)
NAU (Fumbled on first drive)
UC Davis (FG on first Drive) This one was Stitts fault...
Weber St. 4 palys 53 yards 1:30 (Touchdown)
North Dakota 1 play 80 yards (Touchdown)
PSU 8 plays 75 yards 3:56 (Touchdown)
ISU 12 plays 75 yards 4:50 (Touchdown)
EWU 9 Plays 57 Yards 4:08 (Fumbled going in)
MSU 5 plays 88 Yards 2:03 (Touchdown)
SD State (Fumbled on first drive)
ND State 3 plays 56 yards 1:38 (Touchdown)

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:52 pm

The Big Sky goes up against a vastly improved Southland and the MVFC a lot in the playoffs, so it's hard to say. UM did well defensively against SDSU this past year (347 yards/4.1 per play)and held NDSU to 316 yards (4.6 per play) of total offense (49 of which came on a run by Stick, who was held to 0 yards on his other 11 carries).

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:55 pm

[quote="Go Scats Go"]I believe this was one of the reasons TG and Stitt had some issues. UM's highly regarded D (well for the BSC) was terrible on opening drives. So TG had a week (really much more) to prepare the team and the outcome was piss poor...

Yes, he made good adjustments, but this percentage is horrible at any level in any conference. I bet there are Arena football teams with better stats!

9 of the 13 games UM played in 2015 the opposing team scored (8TD's/ 1 FG) on the first drive.

NDSU 8 Plays 75 yards 4:21 (Touchdown)
Cal-Poly (Turn over on downs)
LIBERTY 10 plays 74 yards 5:38 (Touchdown)
NAU (Fumbled on first drive)
UC Davis (FG on first Drive) This one was Stitts fault...
Weber St. 4 palys 53 yards 1:30 (Touchdown)
North Dakota 1 play 80 yards (Touchdown)
PSU 8 plays 75 yards 3:56 (Touchdown)
ISU 12 plays 75 yards 4:50 (Touchdown)
EWU 9 Plays 57 Yards 4:08 (Fumbled going in)
MSU 5 plays 88 Yards 2:03 (Touchdown)
SD State (Fumbled on first drive)
ND State 3 plays 56 yards 1:38 (Touchdown)[/quote]

Yeah, that's not good, but I'm sure you could find an obscure stat like that on just about any team if you look hard enough. That looks like a single game for MSU the last two years.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:18 pm

As a fan it was very frustrating...

For the players, it was brutal, almost always playing from behind.

For TG to improve as a coach he needs to be better it prepping for a game..

I dont have time to look at 2014 or 2013, those years are probably better, but still not great.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Not sure but am guessing that the HC will have a little to say about the defense. Especially this HC.

I'm also guessing that that between the two of them we'll do just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk