Badlands Bowl 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Badlands Bowl 2016

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:43 am

iaafan wrote:Had I known you were going to be so sensitive about this I would've posted it without reviewing the game tape. Man, you're entertaining.

I thought he was the best offensive player on the field in the Badlands Bowl. He didn't have the best game statistically, but he was the best offensive player. Always lined up, never saw him miss an assignment, but mostly he displayed great strength, speed, and agility. He's very fluid. Other players looked stiff by comparison.

Additionally, if you want to look at stats look at his HS stats for his junior and senior seasons. His teams were not good (5-11), but despite that he put up very good numbers. I can't believe anyone who follows football a lot only gauges players by stats, but there you go.
I watched the game twice... And have seen him play live. So keep thinking that I don't know what I am talking about.

The only posters that are being sensitive are the cat fans that believe that everything at msu is golden. As far as his HS stats, he rolled against terrible teams and struggled against good teams... but I guess you have all the answers.

These are the facts that cat fans don't want to hear... but again he might be a good college player. I just don't see the film or stats that can lead anyone to think he will be great.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 am

Go do some moderating. Maybe make sure there are no heightened expectations of a griz recruit . Also check that nobody thinks everything at um is golden.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am

Haters are going to hate. We will find out one way or the other in a couple years. Fans from both sides see things with colored glasses. All incoming freshman have stuff they need to work on. Sean isn't the only one coming in. Let's get back to focusing on the good parts of them all.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:54 am

Go Scats Go wrote:Sure a lot of grasping for straws on this site...

AGAIN... Could be a good college player.

BUT, Was not the best player or athlete on the field in either game he played in... not even close.
Cmon Scats you know me as a poster. Ask any coach in the state and they will tell you the two best overall athletes in Montana last year were Jed Nagler and Sean Opland. Their high school football and track stats prove that over and over again. You won't see me sitting here saying a few Griz recruits had bad games (they did) because all-star games should be taken with a grain of salt.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:02 am

Oh well...

Cat fans see it one way I see it another.

Lets see what it looks like in 3-4 years

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:05 am

Now you're being sensitive about being sensitive. You're acting like Jan Brady. You need a Snickers bar.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:Oh well...

How did little Lebsock work out? How did little Gratton work out? How did little Carson work out? How did little Meyer work out? These are all last names, but judging from your posts you should know.

All star stats don't mean ****** and u above all people, I mean "griz almighty", should know. The above people I mentioned killed it at their all star games, so yeah I would say your grasping, not sure what though. I know your used to grasping at things, all be it they are small things, and it's all you could get so I understand.

The griz are out of hibernation, so please go feed them and write a story when your done.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:Oh well...

How did little Lebsock work out? How did little Gratton work out? How did little Carson work out? How did little Meyer work out? These are all last names, but judging from your posts you should know.

All star stats don't mean ****** and u above all people, I mean "griz almighty", should know. The above people I mentioned killed it at their all star games, so yeah I would say your grasping, not sure what though. I know your used to grasping at things, all be it they are small things, and it's all you could get so I understand.

The griz are out of hibernation, so please go feed them and write a story when your done.
:D
Your a funny guy.... and very sensitive cat fan.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 pm

And for the fifth time... he might be a good college player.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:And for the fifth time... he might be a good college player.
He may be, who knows that's the point. You may be a good guy, who knows and that's the point as well.

Btw I am sensitive, and I'm working on it.

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Offense

QB:

When I broke down the roster and ranked the QB's out of Montana, I said Dane Warp was a better overall quarterback and Luke May was a better athlete. That analysis stayed true during the game in my opinion. However, I thought Luke surprised me a bit as a passer in terms of accuracy. I knew he had a strong arm and threw well on the run but he made some good throws from the pocket. It may have been because he already knew the offense but you can't argue with 14-18 for 229 yards and 3 touchdowns. Dane obviously had a tough game with the two interceptions but he still showed why he was considered the best overall QB last year. Overall, I still think Luke May would have been an excellent Big Sky football player at either QB, WR, DB, or Safety. Good luck to him at Minnesota and good luck to Dane at Carroll with his basketball career.

RB:

Everyone knew the Montana offensive line was undersized going in and I thought it would be a tough day to run the football. Thomas Trefney (19-49) and Sean Opland (8-13) struggled to find any running room against a very stout front seven from North Dakota. Highlights? Thomas had the first score of the day with a 1 yard plunge and Sean had a nice catch and run for a 50+ yard touchdown called back to a classic "North Dakota" phanton penalty. I thought both were good in pass protection. I was impressed with how tough Trefney was between the tackles. Had only about 2.8 yards per carry but he rarely went backwards. They tried using Sean more on the edge but he was swallowed up pretty quickly and would have to work just to get back to the line of scrimmage most of his carries. Overall, tough day for the running backs but nothing to get too discourage about if I was Thomas and Sean. Both showed what they are capable of and why they were two of the top backs in the state last year.

WR:

A good group here. Just imagine how bad it would have been if Jed Nagler played and Hadley switched over to offense? Everyone of them contributed. Karl Tucker looked the part of a future college receiver. He showed his ability to run routes and get open. He also showed his ability to get yards after the catch. I tell you what, Nate Simkins does nothing but produce. He worked the North Dakota defense all day from the slot and killed them with speed. I knew he was a bit too small to play FCS football but the kid is a gamer. Hardy had a nice touchdown catch for the second score of the game. I still think he will have to work on strength and speed but if he can put on the pounds, he definitely has a future in Bob Stitt's offense. Will Hunthausen and Payton Lafrentz also contributed and Lafrentz had the final score of the game. Overall, the receivers were open all day and it was an absolute mismatch against the North Dakota defense. Kudos to Montana to continue to exploit this year in and year out. North Dakota has struggled to hang with our athletes on offense for years.

OL:

The unit composed of Alec Akina (Bozeman), Levi Stovall (Billings West), Jake Rebish (Missoula Sentinel), Micah Holt-Seavy (Billings Central), Jaden Senger (Miles City), Noah Danielson (CMR) and Devin Maua (Billings Senior) fought their butts off and did all they could against a stout North Dakota front seven. Obviously, they did plenty in the pass protection department as Montana moved the ball at will through the air. They definitely struggled to get anything going in the run game. I'm not really going to say I was disappointed in the offensive line because nearly everyone of them were undersized. Devin Maua and Jake Rebish were better defensive lineman than offensive lineman in my opinion but they were put on the offensive line in this game because they are strong kids. Noah Danielson was one of the state's best wrestlers and he I thought had the best game of the group. Still makes no sense to me that the selection committee didn't beef up the offensive line more with players like Jake Sessions (Colstrip), Luke Channer (Corvallis), Steven Quimby (Whitefish), or Matt Dey (Sidney). All four are over 280 and their size would have been much appreciated for the run game. The unit averaged 6'3", 240 lbs. roughly. There has been such a drought in the overall depth of big offensive lineman in Montana and that will not change heading into 2017. I'd say this unit along with the running backs had the toughest days but it is still hard to complain about much when you win 36-7 and out gain your opponent by nearly 250 yards before halftime.

Badland Bowl MVP on offense: Luke May
My MVP on offense: Luke May
Biggest surprise: Nate Simkins (I knew he had an outstanding career at Dillon but North Dakota could not cover him...at all.)
Biggest letdown: Lack of a running game

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Great write up as always Vim! I was waiting to see this. I just haven't been on the board for a while. Are you going to do a defensive breakdown as well? If so, I can't wait to read it. Thanks again and I appreciate you spoiling us with all of your insight!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:03 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
iaafan wrote:Opland was the best offensive player on the field IMO.
Iaa "Blue glasses" firmly on his head, could not be more wrong.
Opland had 8 rushes for 13 yards and 1 catch for 13... and this follows a similar Montana Class B All-star game.

Dude might be a good player in a few years, but right now it does not look good.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high- ... be9ba.html
Watched a replay of the game last night and I can see what iaa is talking about. Stats are often irrelevant in exhibition games like this. You can pick out good players without having them make big plays. He had a long td called back and it was a brilliant play, but even without it you could see he's going to be a dynamic player. He has all the tools.

Another good looking player on the field was Tucker from CMR. I'd say those two were the best skill players on offense. Defensively Jobman killed it and Hadley is just a rare specimen. Those two, along with Chapman and Benson, could be the nucleus of one of the great recruiting classes of all time. I know Hadley is slotted at WR and corner, but I think he's a free safety all the way.

It'll be interesting to see how Vim's take lines up with mine.
Vim saw it roughly the way I saw it.

I really think Opland has it all. Speed, strength, size, athleticism, sees the field, high football IQ. You could see all of that on display in this game. He'll see the field early on special teams and should be in the RB rotation in 2017.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 am

Defense

DE:

Derek Marks, Cole Rosling, and Chaffin Ross went up against some hogs on the North Dakota offensive line but all three showed why they were three of the best defensive ends in the state last year. Chaffin Ross was the lightest of the group but also the quickest. He had a few good pressures throughout the game. I thought Cole and Derek had similar games. Both are about the same size and both have about the same skill set. Cole is patient and uses his long limbs to stand up offensive lineman before making a play. Derek is a little more explosive but he doesn't use his long arms like Cole does. If I had to compare the two to NFL pass rushers, Cole is a Jared Allen type (long and strong) and Derek is a Clay Matthews (athletic and explosive) type. Both get to the quarterback in different ways. They had tough matchups the entire game but overall I thought the three did their job well throughout. Also, seemed like Chaffin Ross is hard to block in every game he plays in, even though he is undersized for a defensive end.

DT:

Trace Bradshaw and Joel Beck. Two gritty, tough Montana kids had the task off going up against some beef on the interior of North Dakota's offensive line...and they didn't miss a step. These two made room for the linebackers all night. However, I had one takeaway: I thought Joel looked better than Trace as an interior defensive lineman. The eye test just wasn't met with Trace this game (and I've seen him play multiple times). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm surprised Joel Beck isn't going to get a shot to suit up for one of the two in-state FCS schools. I thought he dominated in the Class B all-star game and I thought he bullied some lineman in this game. He has the strength and the feet to hold his own on the interior. He is a kid I missed on in the process last year. Should have ranked him much higher. I was saying that I thought Trace could still make a good 3-tech in college but now I'm pretty much sold that his best position at the next level will be as a defensive end (which is where the Griz will start him out). Overall, the defensive line must have done their job well because the linebackers absolutely feasted all night.

LB:

When the roster was announced, I said this group would be fun to watch and would likely steal the show. They didn't disappoint. Obviously, Michael Jobman had an outstanding all-around game. Some of his major stats happened in part because of his teammates but other stats he created solely by himself. He was listed at OLB but he basically played DE the whole game, rushing the passer. I was skeptical when I found out the Bobcats wanted to start him out at DE. I'm not skeptical anymore. His rangy athleticism showed up big all game. Jace Lewis was exceptional at OLB. He is the type of player who can be both patient and aggressive at the same time, which is rare for a player coming out of high school. Jace had well-timed blitzes and his sack forced one of the turnovers that ended up in Jobman's hands. The Griz got a gem in Jace Lewis. He will be earning scholarship money sooner than later. Payton O'Reilly was one of the starting MLBers and he was as advertised. Blocked yet another punt and scooped it up for a touchdown. He kind of has a knack for blocking kicks, scooping them up, and taking them for touchdowns. A trait that college coaches should drool over because most young linebackers start on special teams. I'm pretty sure Payton is going to attend Miami of Ohio and play football so I will definitely be following his progress. Trase LeTexier had another solid game from his inside linebacker position. He showed off what he is good at (stuffing the run and engaging blockers). Still think he belongs on the defensive line. I hope the Griz come around on my opinion :wink: . Riley Lamb basically backed up Jace Lewis and I thought he also had a nice game when he was in there. I really liked his high school tape because he was a little undersized at OLB but it didn't seem to matter on his film. He is pretty decent in coverage and he should have a good career at Montana-Western. Kyle Schulte was the last linebacker on the roster and he rushed the QB like Jobman. Didn't have a big stat game but still showed off why he was the Co-Defensive MVP of the Southwestern A conference with Kyle Finch. A good, natural pass rusher.

DB:

Brian FauntLeRoy was really good against the run and my evaluation of him being the best safety prospect out of Montana last year held true in my opinion. He is just a good football player who tackles well. Will Martel was the other starting safety and he had a pretty good game himself. He has a lot of work ahead of him in Bozeman but he did snag an easy interception and played a good centerfield the whole game. Both him and FauntLeRoy are solid run defenders from their safety spots and both need work on their pass coverage skills. However, in this game, they dominated. Jered Padmos also played a little defensive back and safety and like I was saying in his breakdown, the kid is a very sound athlete for being a future kicker/punter. He is not afraid to tackle and he has a long frame that can translate into a decent safety at the FCS level. Not a bad thing to have a punter or kicker as a weapon to run or throw. Jacob Hadley played corner and had a decent game. He had some highs (blitz that led to a turnover) and lows (gave up a long catch in coverage). I still think Jacob is a future receiver because his all-around game shows up the best at that position. Will be interesting to see where Choate puts him when fall camp starts. I could see what TomCat88 was saying about putting him at FS. The thing that catches people off guard is that he is a decent tackler at his size from the cornerback position. Alec Steele and Caleb Jones were the other two cornerbacks. Both are shorter players who actually look the part of a cornerback. I thought both had good games (the entire defense had a good game) and both were good in run support. Alec will be walking on in the fall for the Cats.

K/P:

Jered had a good game except for one PAT that was blocked. Had a 60 yard punt and converted a FG so he kind of did it all. He was an asset for the Montana squad because he could fill-in just fine in the secondary. Jered was a very valuable player for his team. Excited to see what he does at MSU next year because as of right now, the Bobcats do not have a punter.

Sidenote: Five of the best players in Montana (Andrew Grinde, Chase Benson, Jed Nagler, Balue Chapman, and Kyle Finch) did not play in this game and the team still dominated. Imagine what the score would have been if those five were out there. :shock:

Badland Bowl MVP on defense: Michael Jobman
My MVP on defense: Jace Lewis/Michael Jobman (I would've done Co-MVPs because both of these kids dominated at their OLB positions; it was fun to watch)
Biggest surprise: Joel Beck (very good interior defensive lineman who I thought played better than Trace Bradshaw; underrated player)
Biggest letdown: The boys let North Dakota score!
Last edited by VimSince03 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 am

[quote]Hadley played corner and had a decent game. He had some highs (blitz that led to a turnover) and lows (gave up a long touchdown in coverage). [/quote]

He gave up a long TD in coverage? I thought that the ND QB scored on a running play.

"...the host team was held without points until that same drive, when West Fargo’s Creighton Pfau ran in for a TD from 16 yards out."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Hadley played corner and had a decent game. He had some highs (blitz that led to a turnover) and lows (gave up a long touchdown in coverage).
He gave up a long TD in coverage? I thought that the ND QB scored on a running play.

"...the host team was held without points until that same drive, when West Fargo’s Creighton Pfau ran in for a TD from 16 yards out."
Whoops. Meant catch. Regardless, all-star games don't really mean anything. Jacob should be a stud receiver.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

No, I'm saying ND scored on a running play, so Hadley didn't give up a long TD catch. Looks like the ND QB ran for a touchdown.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:34 am

iaafan wrote:No, I'm saying ND scored on a running play, so Hadley didn't give up a long TD catch. Looks like the ND QB ran for a touchdown.
And I'm saying he gave up a long catch in coverage...not on a touchdown play. Replace touchdown with catch.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 am

Gotcha. Thanks.

"North Dakota’s offense came together to avoid the shutout with Pfau’s scoring run, which was preceded by a 39-yard back-shoulder pass to Century’s Adam Geiger down the left sideline."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:02 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Defense

DE:

Derek Marks, Cole Rosling, and Chaffin Ross went up against some hogs on the North Dakota offensive line but all three showed why they were three of the best defensive ends in the state last year. Chaffin Ross was the lightest of the group but also the quickest. He had a few good pressures throughout the game. I thought Cole and Derek had similar games. Both are about the same size and both have about the same skill set. Cole is patient and uses his long limbs to stand up offensive lineman before making a play. Derek is a little more explosive but he doesn't use his long arms like Cole does. If I had to compare the two to NFL pass rushers, Cole is a Jared Allen type (long and strong) and Derek is a Clay Matthews (athletic and explosive) type. Both get to the quarterback in different ways. They had tough matchups the entire game but overall I thought the three did their job well throughout. Also, seemed like Chaffin Ross is hard to block in every game he plays in, even though he is undersized for a defensive end.

DT:

Trace Bradshaw and Joel Beck. Two gritty, tough Montana kids had the task off going up against some beef on the interior of North Dakota's offensive line...and they didn't miss a step. These two made room for the linebackers all night. However, I had one takeaway: I thought Joel looked better than Trace as an interior defensive lineman. The eye test just wasn't met with Trace this game (and I've seen him play multiple times). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm surprised Joel Beck isn't going to get a shot to suit up for one of the two in-state FCS schools. I thought he dominated in the Class B all-star game and I thought he bullied some lineman in this game. He has the strength and the feet to hold his own on the interior. He is a kid I missed on in the process last year. Should have ranked him much higher. I was saying that I thought Trace could still make a good 3-tech in college but now I'm pretty much sold that his best position at the next level will be as a defensive end (which is where the Griz will start him out). Overall, the defensive line must have done their job well because the linebackers absolutely feasted all night.

LB:

When the roster was announced, I said this group would be fun to watch and would likely steal the show. They didn't disappoint. Obviously, Michael Jobman had an outstanding all-around game. Some of his major stats happened in part because of his teammates but other stats he created solely by himself. He was listed at OLB but he basically played DE the whole game, rushing the passer. I was skeptical when I found out the Bobcats wanted to start him out at DE. I'm not skeptical anymore. His rangy athleticism showed up big all game. Jace Lewis was exceptional at OLB. He is the type of player who can be both patient and aggressive at the same time, which is rare for a player coming out of high school. Jace had well-timed blitzes and his sack forced one of the turnovers that ended up in Jobman's hands. The Griz got a gem in Jace Lewis. He will be earning scholarship money sooner than later. Payton O'Reilly was one of the starting MLBers and he was as advertised. Blocked yet another punt and scooped it up for a touchdown. He kind of has a knack for blocking kicks, scooping them up, and taking them for touchdowns. A trait that college coaches should drool over because most young linebackers start on special teams. I'm pretty sure Payton is going to attend Miami of Ohio and play football so I will definitely be following his progress. Trase LeTexier had another solid game from his inside linebacker position. He showed off what he is good at (stuffing the run and engaging blockers). Still think he belongs on the defensive line. I hope the Griz come around on my opinion :wink: . Riley Lamb basically backed up Jace Lewis and I thought he also had a nice game when he was in there. I really liked his high school tape because he was a little undersized at OLB but it didn't seem to matter on his film. He is pretty decent in coverage and he should have a good career at Montana-Western. Kyle Schulte was the last linebacker on the roster and he rushed the QB like Jobman. Didn't have a big stat game but still showed off why he was the Co-Defensive MVP of the Southwestern A conference with Kyle Finch. A good, natural pass rusher.

DB:

Brian FauntLeRoy was really good against the run and my evaluation of him being the best safety prospect out of Montana last year held true in my opinion. He is just a good football player who tackles well. Will Martel was the other starting safety and he had a pretty good game himself. He has a lot of work ahead of him in Bozeman but he did snag an easy interception and played a good centerfield the whole game. Both him and FauntLeRoy are solid run defenders from their safety spots and both need work on their pass coverage skills. However, in this game, they dominated. Jered Padmos also played a little defensive back and safety and like I was saying in his breakdown, the kid is a very sound athlete for being a future kicker/punter. He is not afraid to tackle and he has a long frame that can translate into a decent safety at the FCS level. Not a bad thing to have a punter or kicker as a weapon to run or throw. Jacob Hadley played corner and had a decent game. He had some highs (blitz that led to a turnover) and lows (gave up a long catch in coverage). I still think Jacob is a future receiver because his all-around game shows up the best at that position. Will be interesting to see where Choate puts him when fall camp starts. I could see what TomCat88 was saying about putting him at FS. The thing that catches people off guard is that he is a decent tackler at his size from the cornerback position. Alec Steele and Caleb Jones were the other two cornerbacks. Both are shorter players who actually look the part of a cornerback. I thought both had good games (the entire defense had a good game) and both were good in run support. Alec will be walking on in the fall for the Cats.

K/P:

Jered had a good game except for one PAT that was blocked. Had a 60 yard punt and converted a FG so he kind of did it all. He was an asset for the Montana squad because he could fill-in just fine in the secondary. Jered was a very valuable player for his team. Excited to see what he does at MSU next year because as of right now, the Bobcats do not have a punter.

Sidenote: Five of the best players in Montana (Andrew Grinde, Chase Benson, Jed Nagler, Balue Chapman, and Kyle Finch) did not play in this game and the team still dominated. Imagine what the score would have been if those five were out there. :shock:

Badland Bowl MVP on defense: Michael Jobman
My MVP on defense: Jace Lewis/Michael Jobman (I would've done Co-MVPs because both of these kids dominated at their OLB positions; it was fun to watch)
Biggest surprise: Joel Beck (very good interior defensive lineman who I thought played better than Trace Bradshaw; underrated player)
Biggest letdown: The boys let North Dakota score!
=D^ Good Job as usual. Thanks for all the work. I agree Joel is an animal. Tech stole a good one there.