MSU football more experienced in 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU football more experienced in 2016

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:16 am

In my opinion, the main thing that held us back last year was the Defense (well, duh). And specifically 3 things on defense:
1- Out of position - not filling gaps, over-pursuing, etc.
2- Poor fundamentals - bad tackling, poor pad level, etc.
3- Speed.

With Choate as HC and focusing on D-Line, Gregorak as DC and focusing on LBs and Alexander as DB coach, I sincerely believe that we will be much better in being in the right spots, and our fundamentals will significantly improve.

However, it remains to be seen in my mind whether our Speed on Defense will improve. Possibly yes with Hale at Corner, and some new guys pushing for time at LB. But I haven't seen any of those guys yet. Anyone have any thoughts on our Speed?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:07 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:In my opinion, the main thing that held us back last year was the Defense (well, duh). And specifically 3 things on defense:
3- Speed.

With Choate as HC and focusing on D-Line, Gregorak as DC and focusing on LBs and Alexander as DB coach, I sincerely believe that we will be much better in being in the right spots, and our fundamentals will significantly improve.

However, it remains to be seen in my mind whether our Speed on Defense will improve. Possibly yes with Hale at Corner, and some new guys pushing for time at LB. But I haven't seen any of those guys yet. Anyone have any thoughts on our Speed?
Watch these:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4325489/jakob-mccarthy
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4197236/lukas-mccarthy

That should make you happy.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:26 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:In my opinion, the main thing that held us back last year was the Defense (well, duh). And specifically 3 things on defense:
3- Speed.

A former NFL scout told me the CATS were intent on filling the gaps at the expense of getting to the ball carrier. Might sound strange, but I can see what he meant.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
3- Speed.

A former NFL scout told me the CATS were intent on filling the gaps at the expense of getting to the ball carrier. Might sound strange, but I can see what he meant.
This actually seemed to me to be the case as well, though I am no former NFL scout, it looked like we under pursued the ball at the expense of trying to fill gaps. The exception was Mac who has a "nose for the ball" and had a nice year as a result (less competition for tackles :D )!

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Bump

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm

PapaG wrote:
My expectation is an 8-3 record and 6-2 in conference. In a completely up for grabs Big Sky, that may be enough to win it.
:lol:

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Montanabob wrote:No reason why we don't get 9 wins in regular season. Offense will use less emphasis on QB running and defense will actually stop people.
Pack the Kitty Dome in bobcat blue for Big WIN to start the season.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Can we go ahead and permaban this douche now?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:05 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Can we go ahead and permaban this douche now?
+1, I second the notion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

Air Force Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Air Force Cat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm the outcast on a lot of Bobcat football related convo recently, but I still agree with a lot of the statements on this page. Are we a great football team? No. Are we a bad football team? Hell no. I am tired of hearing all the bad talk about this program after 5 games. Yes there is a lot that need to be fixed, but I'm tired of getting on this page and seeing 90% bad talk and little emphasis on the gains this team has made compared to last year

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:10 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
Montanabob wrote:No reason why we don't get 9 wins in regular season. Offense will use less emphasis on QB running and defense will actually stop people.
Pack the Kitty Dome in bobcat blue for Big WIN to start the season.
Careful. MSU_MountainsandMountains is going to get mad at you for stealing his material. Unless you and he are one and the same. Be original or people will start to think you're taking loser to a whole new level.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:28 am

GSG: sports fans are a great cross-section of America. So some of the people on this board are young kids and people who don't have a lot going for them. The person you're poking fun at may be one of them. If that weighs on you, feel free to limit your smart ass comments to me.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
PapaG wrote:
My expectation is an 8-3 record and 6-2 in conference. In a completely up for grabs Big Sky, that may be enough to win it.
Still possible

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 am

Truthfully I don't believe there is any reason to get to bent out of shape. From the games I've watched, forgot to record the sac state game, there is a lot of reason to be optimistic. MSU just seems to be a team looking for an identity. Murray is obviously the best bet going forward, he may make mistakes but he will learn. Might be a rough first year where the ball doesn't bounce the Cats way and they lose a game they could've won but that happens, seems to happen more in "rebuilding" years. Just my $.02

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 am

Many posters have suggested that the 2016 team has enough talent to compete this year. I don't know if that is true or not but when you burn as many redshirts as we have this fall you either lack talent and/or depth.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:22 am

Just a note again since I see this recurring.....I don't believe we've "burned" any redshirts yet. The true freshmen still have them available

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by dencat91 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Yep....more experienced at sucking.