Dalton Daum

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dalton Daum

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am

RationalGriz wrote:Many players have left the program for a variety of reasons, from injuries to deciding they just didn't want to play football anymore to being told they were not in team plans going forward. But Daum is the only one that quit because he didn't like being punished for not meeting the expectations that every player were to meet. If you want to think a kid leaving because of concussions or because he was told he was not going to see the field is the same as the Daum situation, I think you argument is misguided. Go back through that list and not a single other kid did what Daum did and that sir is the point.
So now we have a better understanding of your definition of quit. If you don't want them and they leave, it is not quitting. If you want them but they leave, then it is quitting. Seems to be a rather convenient interpretation. Helps us better understand your "first hand" knowledge of the situation. You sound like a jealous ex to us.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

Cataholic wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:Many players have left the program for a variety of reasons, from injuries to deciding they just didn't want to play football anymore to being told they were not in team plans going forward. But Daum is the only one that quit because he didn't like being punished for not meeting the expectations that every player were to meet. If you want to think a kid leaving because of concussions or because he was told he was not going to see the field is the same as the Daum situation, I think you argument is misguided. Go back through that list and not a single other kid did what Daum did and that sir is the point.
So now we have a better understanding of your definition of quit. If you don't want them and they leave, it is not quitting. If you want them but they leave, then it is quitting. Seems to be a rather convenient interpretation. Helps us better understand your "first hand" knowledge of the situation. You sound like a jealous ex to us.
Really! You don't see a difference between a kid basically being cut from the squad and one quitting because he didn't like being punished for not meeting basic player expectations. Fair enough.

suptscott
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by suptscott » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

I have a friend who spends a lot of time with the griz football program. When Dalton changed his mind and went to missoula, he had nothing but praise for him and the impact he was going to make. Two days ago the same guy texted me complaining of all the kids extracurricular problems and how he wasn't committed.

Hey I am happy if the kid sees the light and joins us. It is about "fit" and kids find out fast whether or not they "fit" a program, once practices begin. If it isn't a good fit, they don't respect the team and program and can get into negative situations.

These are 18-19 year old kids. Like me there are a lot of decisions and life changes they are making and discovering. They make decisions based on the best recruiting tactics each school can throw at them. I don't care if he had issues or didn't like stitt; I just care about the fact that he comes to MSU, is a productive student, citizen, and athlete. I also hope he gets a chance to make a game winning play on the washington grizzly field and realize that he made the right choice.

Go CATS Go!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

Credit where credit is due - Stitt and crew (who have first hand information from 1/2 of the parties involved) handled Daum leaving the program WAY better then griz fans have. It's unfortunate that fans like these run a kid through the mud for whatever reason they do (guess that makes them feel important or like an insider?). I can't imagine that whatever the reason for Daum to leave was based on one simple event. No one can know the whole story from both sides.

Daum sounds like a good kid from Butte America who will find his direction. Wish him luck.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 am

MSU Toddler wrote:I can't imagine that whatever the reason for Daum to leave was based on one simple event.
It wasn't.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am

RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Really! You don't see a difference between a kid basically being cut from the squad and one quitting because he didn't like being punished for not meeting basic player expectations. Fair enough.
That's a half-truth RG. He did not quit solely because he was being punished. He had made up his mind long before that and was going to quit during the season, but he felt committed to stick it out until the school year was over, but that didn't happen. He made a lot of friends at first, but several of them (a lot of Montana kids) were cut or were being nudged out the door. That's primarily why he didn't feel like he fit in.

Go Dark Brandon!!

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:33 am

grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
That's a half-truth RG. He did not quit solely because he was being punished. He had made up his mind long before that and was going to quit during the season, but he felt committed to stick it out until the school year was over, but that didn't happen. He made a lot of friends at first, but several of them (a lot of Montana kids) were cut or were being nudged out the door. That's primarily why he didn't feel like he fit in.

I know that he was considering it previously and it was a culmination of incidents that led to what ended up being the end. But can you dispute the fact that he had multiple issues that finally led up to the punishment, of which he did finally quit in the middle?

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:39 am

RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I know that he was considering it previously and it was a culmination of incidents that led to what ended up being the end. But can you dispute the fact that he had multiple issues that finally led up to the punishment, of which he did finally quit in the middle?
What you're avoiding here is what led up to the multiple issues. Those issue didn't just pop up out of thin air. You want to focus on the end, so you can say he wasn't living up to the same expectations as the rest of the team, which is a half-truth. You're not telling the whole story.

Go Dark Brandon!!

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 am

grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What you're avoiding here is what led up to the multiple issues. Those issue didn't just pop up out of thin air. You want to focus on the end, so you can say he wasn't living up to the same expectations as the rest of the team, which is a half-truth. You're not telling the whole story.
I understand that their were other things that played into his decision, but he was not in the middle of punishment for those, he was in the middle of punishment for multiple other happenings that were him not meeting basic things expected of each player. The point is that outside of how he felt about things, he failed to do everything required of every player and was punished for it. This is why you can not lump this all on the coaches for him leaving, he didn't fully uphold his end either.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 am

RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I understand that their were other things that played into his decision, but he was not in the middle of punishment for those, he was in the middle of punishment for multiple other happenings that were him not meeting basic things expected of each player. The point is that outside of how he felt about things, he failed to do everything required of every player and was punished for it. This is why you can not lump this all on the coaches for him leaving, he didn't fully uphold his end either.
If you understood that their were other things that played into his decision, then why didn't you disclose them? He probably would've finished out the punishment, but he figured it was over the top and he was going to bail anyway, so why go through it.

We've had at least two players (Daum and Naccarato?) who have publicly stated that they quit basically because of the coaching staff's treatment of them. I know of a starter that has had to be talked out of quitting at least once. I don't follow very many teams, so maybe that's the norm. I kind of doubt it.

Go Dark Brandon!!

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 am

grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

If you understood that their were other things that played into his decision, then why didn't you disclose them? He probably would've finished out the punishment, but he figured it was over the top and he was going to bail anyway, so why go through it.

We've had at least two players (Daum and Naccarato?) who have publicly stated that they quit basically because of the coaching staff's treatment of them. I know of a starter that has had to be talked out of quitting at least once. I don't follow very many teams, so maybe that's the norm. I kind of doubt it.
Naccarato's issue with the coaching staff was he was told he could stay but not see the field for his Senior season so he quit to go elsewhere. I can completely understand why he was upset, but is that necessarily poor treatment. But once again, something completely different than Daum and his complaints. As for the starter that almost quit, seems if the coaches were able to talk him into staying, they may not have been the problem.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Yes, IMO the Chase N. situation probably IS poor treatment if that's how it went down. Seems pretty strange for a coach to tell a player that they have no chance of earning playing time. That looks to me like a "Quit or your going to get fired" save face thing. What Stitt should have said is that nobody is guaranteed playing time and that Chase was welcome to try his guts out, compete, and try to earn it.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:30 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Naccarato's issue with the coaching staff was he was told he could stay but not see the field for his Senior season so he quit to go elsewhere. I can completely understand why he was upset, but is that necessarily poor treatment. But once again, something completely different than Daum and his complaints. As for the starter that almost quit, seems if the coaches were able to talk him into staying, they may not have been the problem.
The coaches didn't talk him into staying. His dad, brother and friends did. He loves football and didn't want to let his teammates down.

Regardless of what you say happened with Naccarato, Naccarato said it was coaches treating players poorly. You seem to want things to be black and white and leave out anything that isn't supportive of the coaches. First with Daum and now with Naccarato. What gives?

Go Dark Brandon!!

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm

catatac wrote:Yes, IMO the Chase N. situation probably IS poor treatment if that's how it went down. Seems pretty strange for a coach to tell a player that they have no chance of earning playing time. That looks to me like a "Quit or your going to get fired" save face thing. What Stitt should have said is that nobody is guaranteed playing time and that Chase was welcome to try his guts out, compete, and try to earn it.
Don't fool yourself. The way it was handled is very common in college football, even at MSU.

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:34 pm

grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

The coaches didn't talk him into staying. His dad, brother and friends did. He loves football and didn't want to let his teammates down.

Regardless of what you say happened with Naccarato, Naccarato said it was coaches treating players poorly. You seem to want things to be black and white and leave out anything that isn't supportive of the coaches. First with Daum and now with Naccarato. What gives?
What gives that everyone blames it all on the coaches. My take is it is somewhere in the middle and especially with Daum. You want to paint the picture that it is 100% on the coaches which is not true. I have stated several times that I question some of what is happening.

Doc3kgt

Post by Doc3kgt » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Good! Then we all agree that stitt is a tool and um has deep seeded coaching problems. /end thread.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 pm

suptscott wrote:I have a friend who spends a lot of time with the griz football program. When Dalton changed his mind and went to missoula, he had nothing but praise for him and the impact he was going to make. Two days ago the same guy texted me complaining of all the kids extracurricular problems and how he wasn't committed.

Hey I am happy if the kid sees the light and joins us. It is about "fit" and kids find out fast whether or not they "fit" a program, once practices begin. If it isn't a good fit, they don't respect the team and program and can get into negative situations.

These are 18-19 year old kids. Like me there are a lot of decisions and life changes they are making and discovering. They make decisions based on the best recruiting tactics each school can throw at them. I don't care if he had issues or didn't like stitt; I just care about the fact that he comes to MSU, is a productive student, citizen, and athlete. I also hope he gets a chance to make a game winning play on the washington grizzly field and realize that he made the right choice.

Go CATS Go!
Fair enough. For some of the posters here to insinuate the little bit of very vague information some of us have posted is slamming Dalton consider it a good thing. I dont see the bashing of character or defamation you imply. If that was the goal we would have posted much more in depth and specifics and ....uhmmmmm...the verifiable sources. Would that help matters? I don't think so, it would simply fuel the fire and in my opinion going that far is unnecessary and uncalled for.

As far as being a good thing, if I was Dalton I would want to step up and prove (at least some of Griz Nation) wrong and put forth the 100%. Choate and co will ask of him (if he ends up playing Cat football, which I'm not certain yet he is) I would hope he learned he needs to get his priorities in order and no one is singling him out for who he is or isn't. If he is part of a team he needs to be just that, part of a team.

I do wish success for him whatever he chooses to do.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:16 pm

suptscott wrote:I have a friend who spends a lot of time with the griz football program. When Dalton changed his mind and went to missoula, he had nothing but praise for him and the impact he was going to make. Two days ago the same guy texted me complaining of all the kids extracurricular problems and how he wasn't committed.

Go CATS Go!
At this point I'm wondering if there are any Griz fans who aren't "close to" or "spend a lot of time with" the program.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

asstastic

Post by asstastic » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Does anyone have the dumpster fire picture handy....

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:35 pm

First it was name another player that has quit. Then players are named. Then it's "don't you see the difference between 'the ways people quit'"

Has noone ever had an employee that was getting disgruntled and their performance tapers off. Then they are called out for it and they say screw it and leave. It happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk