Ash Era defining loss(es)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Ash Era defining loss(es)

Post by 77matcat » Fri May 20, 2016 6:17 am

Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Boy, you guys give griz fans crap about inventing football in Missoula in 1985. Apparently Bobcat football didn't lose any epic games before 2007 :roll:
These two threads were built off of program defining wins and losses during the Ash era.
The program defining wins thread was not. I just gave an example of the most recent ex-coach. The Ash haters took over from there.

Because a person doesn't believe a coach isn't the right coach doesn't mean they hate them. I don't know anyone that hates coach Ash. Know plenty of folks that think it was past the right time for a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri May 20, 2016 6:24 am

John K wrote:
77matcat wrote:Loss to Northern Colorado in Greeley. Gave NC there first conference victory. May have been 2013??

Believe we were having good year and NCU was struggling to say the least. Great example of game we should have easily won but lost. Poor job of prepping kids and developing game plan.

That UNCU loss was in Ash's very first season, which was 2007.

Holy fog batman!!!!!

Went to a game in Greeley three or so years ago and must have mixed the two up.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri May 20, 2016 3:14 pm

I'd say Ash's first Cat/griz in Zootown. He showed that game he didn't really "get" the rivalry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 pm

lutecat wrote:I'd say Ash's first Cat/griz in Zootown. He showed that game he didn't really "get" the rivalry.

Or our team was really, really beat up (3rd string QB) and the Griz had one of their more talented rosters of that decade.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Cat/griz in Bozeman 2011

#7 montana @ #1 Montana State

Ash and co walk into a buzzsaw. At home. Most hyped/disappointing game in recent memory for me. Can't beat the griz? Hit the road.

From Wikipedia:

Montana State entered the 111th clash as the No. 1 ranked team in the nation for the first time since 1985. The Grizzlies put an end to that in humiliating fashion with a 36–10 win in front of the largest crowd (20,247) to attend a Cat-Griz game in Bozeman.

A safety by UM cornerback Trumaine Johnson helped set up a short TD pass on a fourth-down pass late in the first half to give UM 12–0 lead. After Montana State scored quickly to start the second half, the Grizzlies answered on the next play with an 79-yard bomb from Jordan Johnson to Jabin Sambrano and UM cruised from there. Montana finished the game with 309 yards rushing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana%E ... valry#2010

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:37 pm

DaCats21 wrote:Cat/griz in Bozeman 2011

Ash and co walk into a buzzsaw. At home. Most hyped/disappointing game in recent memory for me. Can't beat the griz? Hit the road.

From Wikipedia:

Montana State entered the 111th clash as the No. 1 ranked team in the nation for the first time since 1985. The Grizzlies put an end to that in humiliating fashion with a 36–10 win in front of the largest crowd (20,247) to attend a Cat-Griz game in Bozeman.

A safety by UM cornerback Trumaine Johnson helped set up a short TD pass on a fourth-down pass late in the first half to give UM 12–0 lead. After Montana State scored quickly to start the second half, the Grizzlies answered on the next play with an 79-yard bomb from Jordan Johnson to Jabin Sambrano and UM cruised from there. Montana finished the game with 309 yards rushing.

But there is this:

"On July 26, 2013, Montana vacated this win and four others from the 2011 season after an NCAA investigation found that the university had insufficiently monitored its football program, enabling boosters to provide gifts and services to players against NCAA regulations. The investigation determined that boosters had provided bail and free legal counsel to two players, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and backup quarterback Gerald Kemp, and that six boosters had provided smaller benefits to players over 100 times between 2004 and 2012. As part of the penalties, Montana voluntarily vacated five wins from the 2011 season, including the Montana State game"

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri May 20, 2016 3:54 pm

DaCats21 wrote:

From Wikipedia:

But there is this:

"On July 26, 2013, Montana vacated this win and four others from the 2011 season after an NCAA investigation found that the university had insufficiently monitored its football program, enabling boosters to provide gifts and services to players against NCAA regulations. The investigation determined that boosters had provided bail and free legal counsel to two players, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and backup quarterback Gerald Kemp, and that six boosters had provided smaller benefits to players over 100 times between 2004 and 2012. As part of the penalties, Montana voluntarily vacated five wins from the 2011 season, including the Montana State game"
While true, it is STILL a loss for MSU. Just not a 'win' for them. So IMO this is absolutely the Ash era defining loss.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:02 pm

tdub wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:

From Wikipedia:

But there is this:

While true, it is STILL a loss for MSU. Just not a 'win' for them. So IMO this is absolutely the Ash era defining loss.
Agreed. And it doesn't soften the blow one bit

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat May 21, 2016 10:51 am

VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:I'd say Ash's first Cat/griz in Zootown. He showed that game he didn't really "get" the rivalry.

Or our team was really, really beat up (3rd string QB) and the Griz had one of their more talented rosters of that decade.
I don't discount that. I just seem to remember the way he handled that loss frustrated me. As well as a few in game decisions. Like when we had the ball at the one and got no points out of it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:08 am

Gosh, our student section was loud for that Cat-Griz game when we were #1. Still can't believe we lost like that. That was when I knew Ash couldn't get it done. They weren't that much beyher than we were.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:56 am

If I remember right he said something to the effect of, this is just another game, no reason to get the team hyped up for the game. That statement was one that made me think twice about his coaching style.
The other Cat/griz, when Bleskin started. From the beginning he wasn't in a groove, after the 3rd INT and Ash still didn't put Quinn, I lost a lot of respect for Ash after that, the writing was on the wall, his days were numbered. Someone told me that was part of the reason Mac left.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm

It just wasn't a loss, it was Ash's response to a loss. There was never a fire or a sense of urgency. So the defining loss was hiring a man with no fire. Kramer had way more football losses but he never lost his passion! Choate is likely similar.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun May 22, 2016 9:23 pm

I agree with Anacomando. Well said.