Ash Era defining loss(es)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Program defining loss(es)

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 am

BroncoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
John K wrote:There are a lot of worthy candidates, but I'd probably give the nod to the 2011 loss to UM. Going into that game as the #1 team in the nation, riding a 9 game winning streak, and then getting curb stomped 36-10 at home by our hated rival...that was downright humiliating. It was after that game, that I began to believe there was just "something missing" with Ash's teams...something that was difficult to define. but I began to question whether we'd ever become a legitimate NC contender, with Ash at the helm.
Yeah this would have to be mine as well. We were at full health and they just came out of that second half on fire. I still remember the sound of Cunningham hitting the left upright and missing that field goal which would have put us on the board in the first half. But instead we went into halftime down 12-0.
not quite full health, Brad Daley had one shoulder separated I believe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
True. That was Brad's sophomore season where he had 12 sacks but our defense held serve in the first half. Our offense absolutely got dominated in that game. The safety in the first half and the inability to make anything happen.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Thu May 19, 2016 9:24 am

VimSince03 wrote:
BroncoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
John K wrote:There are a lot of worthy candidates, but I'd probably give the nod to the 2011 loss to UM. Going into that game as the #1 team in the nation, riding a 9 game winning streak, and then getting curb stomped 36-10 at home by our hated rival...that was downright humiliating. It was after that game, that I began to believe there was just "something missing" with Ash's teams...something that was difficult to define. but I began to question whether we'd ever become a legitimate NC contender, with Ash at the helm.
Yeah this would have to be mine as well. We were at full health and they just came out of that second half on fire. I still remember the sound of Cunningham hitting the left upright and missing that field goal which would have put us on the board in the first half. But instead we went into halftime down 12-0.

True. That was Brad's sophomore season where he had 12 sacks but our defense held serve in the first half. Our offense absolutely got dominated in that game. The safety in the first half and the inability to make anything happen.
I agree.
also special teams, the griz punting made the difference in the first half.
every possession their punting kept backing us up until we were on our goal line.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:26 am

BroncoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BroncoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I agree.
also special teams, the griz punting made the difference in the first half.
every possession their punting kept backing us up until we were on our goal line.

I lost a good bet to my Griz buddies because of that game. It involved alcohol and wearing Griz gear downtown....so yeah safe to say I was VERY confident we were going to win that game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Cat Grad wrote:To me, it was the North Dakota State playoff game. I watched a defensive end knock our offensive tackle (Davis? Not certain of the name but I'm pretty sure he's the kid who no matter how low he got couldn't match up in physicality) and the way they simply destroyed our linemen. I kind of felt sorry for the linemen on both sides of the ball but then again I felt really happy for all my relatives on the NDSU sidelines because I could compare the difference in the time the kids on the two teams spent in the weight room and the rest is history.
This one really sticks in my mind, between our lines getting dominated and O.D. putting the ball on the turf multiple times, tough loss.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Pecos24 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:To me, it was the North Dakota State playoff game. I watched a defensive end knock our offensive tackle (Davis? Not certain of the name but I'm pretty sure he's the kid who no matter how low he got couldn't match up in physicality) and the way they simply destroyed our linemen. I kind of felt sorry for the linemen on both sides of the ball but then again I felt really happy for all my relatives on the NDSU sidelines because I could compare the difference in the time the kids on the two teams spent in the weight room and the rest is history.
This one really sticks in my mind, between our lines getting dominated and O.D. putting the ball on the turf multiple times, tough loss.
Keep in mind we were up 17-14 in the 4th quarter of that game. Then Brock Jensen converted a 3&1 at their own 45 (after an obvious hold on the edge to spring him) for like a 40 yard gain. Then they score and we fumble and then they score again...we know the story. Then Denarius gets hurt. We were dominated in the 4th quarter but that game was a stalemate up until Brock Jensen broke that run.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 19, 2016 1:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
Keep in mind we were up 17-14 in the 4th quarter of that game. Then Brock Jensen converted a 3&1 at their own 45 (after an obvious hold on the edge to spring him) for like a 40 yard gain. Then they score and we fumble and then they score again...we know the story. Then Denarius gets hurt. We were dominated in the 4th quarter but that game was a stalemate up until Brock Jensen broke that run.
Truly amazing what DeNarius went through while he was at MSU. Imagine what kind of numbers he would have if he could have had some stability for OCs individually. But, he has the one statistic that matters most--wins. To me, though, the work Mac was able to do with the offensive line was a great testament to his teaching abilities but that's off topic. That game, to me still demonstrates the difference in coaching, preparation individually and the reliance the MVC puts on line play versus our conference. Three years in a row the Big Sky has performed really poorly in the playoffs and I think this game more than any one game will point toward the fall of not only our team but the overall performance of our conference.

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu May 19, 2016 3:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
Didn't Brock Jensen get knocked out of the game in the 1st half?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu May 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
Yeah it happened right in front of me! BOOM! Not sure if he came back in though.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu May 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Boy, you guys give griz fans crap about inventing football in Missoula in 1985. Apparently Bobcat football didn't lose any epic games before 2007 :roll:

How about a last-second field goal in Missoula to lose in 1998(?) after scoring a winning touchdown with a minute plus to go?

How about beating Colorado only to get beat at home by Div II Chadron State the next week? THEN.....

Followed by a 45-0 shellacking by Davis at home in 2006?

How about an entire 0-11 season (can there be a program defining losing season?)??

I think unfortunately Bobcat football is replete with defining losses. I will agree the first SHSU playoff loss in Texas was bad - it was the first real test of Bobcat football having "arrived" to FCS prominence, and they failed the test badly. Other than Akpla's catch of course.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:17 pm

KittieKop wrote:Boy, you guys give griz fans crap about inventing football in Missoula in 1985. Apparently Bobcat football didn't lose any epic games before 2007 :roll:
These two threads were built off of program defining wins and losses during the Ash era.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu May 19, 2016 4:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Boy, you guys give griz fans crap about inventing football in Missoula in 1985. Apparently Bobcat football didn't lose any epic games before 2007 :roll:
These two threads were built off of program defining wins and losses during the Ash era.
Then why discussion of Cat Griz wins, Junior Adams runs, "Streak Breakers" and players of the 1960s?

I guess if you very carefully read the OP it starts out talking about the Ash era and the Choate era, but a program defining win or loss would seem to extend beyond one coach to - you know - the entirety of the program history. My apologies; I took it to mean program in its entirety and was puzzled by the focus on the last decade or more?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
The program defining wins thread was not. I just gave an example of the most recent ex-coach. The Ash haters took over from there.
Last edited by Marana CAT on Thu May 19, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu May 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The program defining wins thread was not. I just gave an example of the most recent ex-coach. The Ash haters took from there.
Weird :coffee:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:28 pm

KittieKop wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Then why discussion of Cat Griz wins, Junior Adams runs, "Streak Breakers" and players of the 1960s?

I guess if you very carefully read the OP it starts out talking about the Ash era and the Choate era, but a program defining win or loss would seem to extend beyond one coach to - you know - the entirety of the program history. My apologies; I took it to mean program in its entirety and was puzzled by the focus on the last decade or more?
Yeah it got sidetracked. Because if you are going to talk about programs, I think you need to break them up by Coach era because each ran a different "program". For instance, the Kramer era is defined by stopping the streak and other wins against the Griz...but then a ton of bad losses that shouldn't have happened and off-field issues that were detrimental to the program.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The program defining wins thread was not. I just gave an example of the most recent ex-coach. The Ash haters took from there.
Yeah someone mention the Northern Colorado game in 07. Terrible loss? Absolutely but if you want to make arguments for Ash, he did a pretty good job of taking care of business (other than those crazy Sac State games) with opponents that we should have beaten going into the game.

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu May 19, 2016 4:32 pm

I’m extremely excited for the upcoming season and the future of Montana State football under Coach Jeff Choate. I really hope he is able to lead his teams to 82 + consecutive weeks in the FCS top 25 poll, win 3 + BSC in a row and run a clean program. I can’t imagine what BN will look like if he does not achieve these things.

At least in the last 9 years the Cats were in position to lose program defining games. In the 1990’s I can’t imagine the vial postings BN would have had during Coach Hysell’s tenure. (my favorite coach) Well I guess not so much because we were only in the hunt for the BSC in 2 years and we were getting naked in the streets if we had an above .500 season. No one really cared about the playoffs or being ranked.

Pretty sure everyone’s favorite Bobcat coach and player is appalled of the continued bashing of the programs ALL time winningest coach.

Just saying……

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu May 19, 2016 5:09 pm

KittieKop wrote: How about a last-second field goal in Missoula to lose in 1998(?) after scoring a winning touchdown with a minute plus to go?
It was 1997 and it was in Bozeman. Groshelle kicks off OB and we lose. Heartbreaker!!

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
Jose Mohler had the long, hold-assisted run to set up the go-ahead NDSU TD by McNorton.

Neither of Orenzo Davis's fumbles led to scores by NDSU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ash Era defining loss(es)

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
No, Jensen wasn't the starter, he was a freshman backup. The starter, whose name I don't recall, got knocked out of the game in the first half, and Jensen came in and finished the game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ash Era defining loss(es)

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:36 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
No, Jensen wasn't the starter, he was a freshman backup. The starter, whose name I don't recall, got knocked out of the game in the first half, and Jensen came in and finished the game.
Yes, Jensen started. He ran for the first score of the game in the second quarter. He was knocked on the next series on a hit by Sean Gords. Jose Mohler finished the game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber