Program Defining Win

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Program Defining Win

Post by Marana CAT » Wed May 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Back in 2010, when 9th ranked EWU came to MSU, the CATS dominated them 30-7! In the Rob Ash (ERA) I believe that was his PROGRAM defining game that set the stage for 3 consecutive BSC titles. Below is an article from that game.

My question is will we have a team capable of winning a big time game this year (like the 2010 EWU game) that can define the Jeff Choate (ERA) when we look back 4-5 years from now? Is there that type of game even on this year’s schedule?
My guess would be if we get a road playoff game and win that would define who we are now and lay the foundation for future seasons under Choate.

“Equally challenged was the Bobcat offensive front, which was missing three starters. The Bobcats never skipped a beat, overpowering ninth-ranked Eastern Washington 30-7.
Jones entered Saturday's game leading the nation with 287.3 all-purpose yards a game, but on a sunny day in Bozeman, he found the going tough. Jones returned the opening kickoff 26 yards and then ran for 11 more on his first rushing attempt. But not much happened after that.
Jones finished with 63 yards rushing, well below his average of 151.7 per game. He had such little impact in the game that by the time he limped off the field in the third quarter, never to return, the Bobcats were in command.”

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Program Defining Win

Post by tdub » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

I think this program's expectations have moved past the point where a regular season win is no longer a defining win, especially early in the season. Unless it was something like NDSU coming in ranked #1 and beating them like the griz did last year. That was a huge win, and Stitt's defining win to this point (and hopefully forever 8)).

Winning a legitimately tough game with something directly on the line is #1. I can't think of a single game where an Ash team won where that was the case. They beat a couple tough teams. They won a couple of games with something on the line. But never both at the same time. So if/when that happens is when I'll know there has been a significant change is the culture of MSU Football.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm

If you want to go back a little farther, the game I feel that really defined us turning the corner was our pasting of Furman in the playoffs in '06.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:37 pm

CatBlitz wrote:If you want to go back a little farther, the game I feel that really defined us turning the corner was our pasting of Furman in the playoffs in '06.
No doubt. That was the game. The program defining player was McGhee. The program defining play was Orenzo Davis td run vs UM in 2010. The program defining season was 2010. All that in terms of recent history.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Wed May 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Program defining win?? Hmmm. Rhode island 1984 \:D/

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed May 18, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what the Choate era will call a defining win, but I think a very good candidate is the last regular season game in November!

Defining trend will be a higher win % in November thru January, than August-September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 pm

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 pm

JDoub wrote:I'm not sure what the Choate era will call a defining win, but I think a very good candidate is the last regular season game in November!

Defining trend will be a higher win % in November thru January, than August-September.

This. At least the November part. I think the January part is unrealistic. But a win in the last game in November, then a win over a top tier FBS team on the road in the playoffs.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:If you want to go back a little farther, the game I feel that really defined us turning the corner was our pasting of Furman in the playoffs in '06.
No doubt. That was the game. The program defining player was McGhee. The program defining play was Orenzo Davis td run vs UM in 2010. The program defining season was 2010. All that in terms of recent history.
I agree that Furman was a program defining win, but if we're going back to pre-Ash for this discussion, then I'd have to give the nod to Lulay as the program defining player, over McGhee. I know we've debated Lulay vs. McGhee numerous times already on this board, but when Lulay took over as our starting QB, we still carried the stigma of being a losing program, we were still entrenched in the 16-game losing streak to UM. and we hadn't made the playoffs or won a BSC title in almost two decades. By the time his career was done, the perception of the program had been changed completely. Along with that, the program defining play would have to be Lulay to Adams for a 53 yard TD, early in the 2nd half at Missoula in 2002, and 2002 would also be my pick as the program defining season. Beating the Griz and ending the streak was obviously a very big deal, but that win carried significance far beyond just that, as it vaulted us to a BSC title and a playoff berth, for the first time since the 1984 NC season.

If you're going to limit this to the Ash era, then I'd probably agree with you on your other choices. During the Ash era, I'd probably give the nod to the 2010 win over EWU as the program defining win.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am

Bobcatstan wrote:Program defining win?? Hmmm. Rhode island 1984 \:D/
I think if we go back to the 76 season when Paul Dennehey played his first game. At that time, it was unrealistic to even think of winning the conference, let alone the National Championship. I believe that decades defining loss was the first one of the 78 season. If memory serves me correctly, that team started the year 8-0.

The 80s defining win to me was the overtime win over Nevada Reno in 84. Just like the 76 season when Dennehey got his first start, the Cats just weren't very good through the first few games. I think in 84 they started the year 3-2 and that overtime win just changed everything about their overall demeanor the rest of the year. To me this decades defining loss was when Bradley's elbow got hurt in practice...

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu May 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Cat win in Missoula in 2012?

NH playoff win at home on a blocked extra point (1st playoff win I believe since the 2006 Furman one)

PROGRAM defining win? Gotta be the 1984 NC game. Case closed.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?