Bignell and Clark: top BSC returning players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Bignell and Clark: top BSC returning players

Post by iaafan » Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 am

MSU returns the No. 1 player in four of the seven categories the BSC keeps individual stats on.
Sacks - Clark, tackles for loss - Bignell, forced fumbles - Bignell, and recovered fumbles - Clark. They also return the No. 4 (Bignell) and No. 7 (Collins) tacklers in the league. That's a good trio to build around.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Bignell and Clark: top BSC returning players

Post by onceacat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 pm

iaafan wrote:MSU returns the No. 1 player in four of the seven categories the BSC keeps individual stats on.
Sacks - Clark, tackles for loss - Bignell, forced fumbles - Bignell, and recovered fumbles - Clark. They also return the No. 4 (Bignell) and No. 7 (Collins) tacklers in the league. That's a good trio to build around.
Recovering fumbles is almost entirely based on luck. Thats one of the worst stats to keep in all of football. Notice how Manning, or Brady, or Brees is always on top with QB ratings. Fumble recoveries change every single year. Likewise, tackles are a really bad stat. More plays = more tackles. A solid player on a bad D is going to rack up way more tackles than anyone on a great D that forces 3 & out on every possession.

Tackles for loss, though, and forced fumbles: those are based on individual performance, are repeatable, and aren't a sign of being on a bad D. I had no idea Clark had done that in his half season, and that Bignell forced that many. Kudos to both of them. Great couple of players to build a D around.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 am

onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:MSU returns the No. 1 player in four of the seven categories the BSC keeps individual stats on.
Recovering fumbles is almost entirely based on luck. Thats one of the worst stats to keep in all of football. Notice how Manning, or Brady, or Brees is always on top with QB ratings. Fumble recoveries change every single year. Likewise, tackles are a really bad stat. More plays = more tackles. A solid player on a bad D is going to rack up way more tackles than anyone on a great D that forces 3 & out on every possession.

Tackles for loss, though, and forced fumbles: those are based on individual performance, are repeatable, and aren't a sign of being on a bad D. I had no idea Clark had done that in his half season, and that Bignell forced that many. Kudos to both of them. Great couple of players to build a D around.
" A solid player on a bad D is going to rack up way more tackles than anyone on a great D that forces 3 & out on every possession." This confuses me. Did Bobby Daly play on a bad D? Is that why he racked up so many tackles?! And that's just one example.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 19, 2016 8:27 am

Stats are deceptive, but you can't discount them. Fumble recoveries do fall in your lap sometimes, but they're like loose balls in basketball. Somebody has to go get it and it's often the more aggressive player willing to fight for it that does. Clark also had three forced fumbles to go along with his two fumble recoveries. Bignell had four FF and recovered one. That's a combination of five FF/FR. No one else on the team had more than 2. That reinforces what I already know about them. They're tough, scrappy players on top of being talented. They compete and fight at a high level. Clark did all that despite seeing very limited action the first few weeks of the season. I don't recall if he started any games. If he did it was just one or two.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu May 19, 2016 8:42 am

iaafan wrote:Stats are deceptive, but you can't discount them. Fumble recoveries do fall in your lap sometimes, but they're like loose balls in basketball. Somebody has to go get it and it's often the more aggressive player willing to fight for it that does. Clark also had three forced fumbles to go along with his two fumble recoveries. Bignell had four FF and recovered one. That's a combination of five FF/FR. No one else on the team had more than 2. That reinforces what I already know about them. They're tough, scrappy players on top of being talented. They compete and fight at a high level. Clark did all that despite seeing very limited action the first few weeks of the season. I don't recall if he started any games. If he did it was just one or two.
Exactly, fumbles are very much like loose balls in basketball. It is about effort. We saw a nice case of effort with fumbles in the Superbowl this year if I am not mistaken :)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:

" A solid player on a bad D is going to rack up way more tackles than anyone on a great D that forces 3 & out on every possession." This confuses me. Did Bobby Daly play on a bad D? Is that why he racked up so many tackles?! And that's just one example.
What he's saying is on s bad defense one has more opportunities to get a tackle. Therefore, eating a player off of overall tackles can be deceiving. A better stat would be something like # of tackles per play/snaps.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri May 20, 2016 10:10 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:

What he's saying is on s bad defense one has more opportunities to get a tackle. Therefore, eating a player off of overall tackles can be deceiving. A better stat would be something like # of tackles per play/snaps.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. There are just lots of ways that # of tackles can be deceiving. A tackle can be for no gain, or it can be after the runner carried you 10 yards. Most plays end with a tackle, but that tells you very little about the performance of the defender. Yes, Daly had a ton of tackles-in part because the D was designed to make him a top tackler. But the reason you know he was truly great was that he had a boatload of sacks & tackles for loss. Clark & Bignell being leaders in TFL and Sacks is a good sign.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am

Are you referring to career stats? The BSC leader in sacks last year is playing in the NFL this year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

grizband wrote:
Are you referring to career stats? The BSC leader in sacks last year is playing in the NFL this year.

Of returning players he led is the way I read it.

grizband

Post by grizband » Sat May 21, 2016 9:55 am

LTown Cat wrote:
grizband wrote:

That makes sense, thanks!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 am

LTown Cat wrote:
grizband wrote:

Reading is kryptonite to griz fans

grizband

Post by grizband » Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
grizband wrote:

Reading is kryptonite to griz fans
Touche