How good will Cats be?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: How good will Cats be?

Post by 95bcfb » Mon May 16, 2016 5:49 pm

We were 5/6 last year. I believe that we would be at least a 7/4 team if Ash had not left. Our defence was super young last year and would have been better even if nothing had changed. I believe (based on no clear data yet) that our new coaching staff is a big improvement so if we are anything less than 7/4 it would be a disappointment. I think that we could very easily be in the hunt for the title this year - the Big Sky is that bad. I also don't get all the love that UM is getting. They have a great program and have traditionally been great so this is not meant to be smack, but I don't see them being that good next year. They lost their two best receiver and I think that they have an average quarterback (probably similar to ours). Unlike us however, they can't run the ball. Yes I think they will probably be better offensively than last year but I don't think they will light the world on fire. Defensively they lost everyone but like 2-3 starters I believe. So I don't think that they will be as good defensively and they may even be bad. So for that reason I believe that they are a very beatable team. I don't know what EW will be like this year but they always seem to be good. I also think that NAU will be good this year and could see us losing that one. I don't know that we will be a playoff contender but depending on how some of the transfers work out and how healthy we are I could see us winning a couple games in the playoffs.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Scary good? Sorry, bad egriz joke. I'll try to give you my best unbiased opinions:

Offense - I think your offense will take a step backwards. It will still be a solid offense, but will be different from last year in that it won't be a quick strike, fast paced, put 45 points on the board type of offense. I think Choate has been pretty clear that he wants to get back to a ground and pound, grind it out offense with some influence from last year until he gets his personnel. With a guy like Newell (I'd take him on the Griz any day) I think this may be a good approach and will lead to good production but won't be on par (scoring wise) with what you've seen last couple years with Prukop under center. That's the other HUGE variable IMO, your unknown at QB. If there is one position that you need an absolute stud that makes everything else run smoothly and keeps you in every game even when things are not going great in all the other phases, it's at QB. I think the fact alone that you have a bit of a question mark at QB will make a pretty big difference. Bruggman sounds like he's been good but I think you'll see some normal drop off. I think you'll score closer to 30-34 points per game. That's not a bad offense at all provided your defense can give up less than that 30-34 per game. Which leads me to defense.

Defense - everyone seems to say your defense will automatically be better due to new coaches, new attitudes, and a year under the belts of the young kids. While that sounds good, will it happen? I remember talking with some Cats buds last year and they said there is no way on earth the defense could be any worse than the year prior, but they admitted they were wrong. It was shocking they said. Could that happen again? I don't think so personally. I think your defense will improve, but I don't think it will be a big, game-changing improvement. Your defense has been ranked statistically as not only some of he worse in the Big Sky but also in all of FCS. Now if you can improve that to middle of the Big Sky that's a pretty good jump, but quite possible being the Big Sky defenses seem to fluctuate a lot and are not very strong compared to the MVFC or rest of FCS. Which is my point, that even if you jump a few spots in the Big Sky on a national level that may not amount to much. I think defense will be the tell-tale sign of your season and will dictate whether you are an 8-3 team or a 5-6 team.

Special teams - I know you have a solid kicker in Daly. Sounds like he is hurt and may or may not be an effective contributor this season. Special teams play a big role and you guys have been solid in that front for the most part. The Griz special teams drive me nuts and we sound like we have major kicking issues again. I think that will hurt the Griz and will lead to at least one loss. Will Daly heal up and be effective? Will his replacement be a stud? I must admit I don't much about what you guys have in that department so my guess is your special teams will continue to perform well. I know Logan Jones looks shifty and dangerous as a KR and maybe he'll find a way to return punts. Those types of guys can flip the field in a hurry.

Overall I think you guys will be a 6-5 team with a strong shot at 7-4. I think this is pretty darn respectable for a program with a new staff, new offense, new schemes, etc. Is it football season yet!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Scary good? Sorry, bad egriz joke. I'll try to give you my best unbiased opinions:

Offense - I think your offense will take a step backwards. It will still be a solid offense, but will be different from last year in that it won't be a quick strike, fast paced, put 45 points on the board type of offense. I think Choate has been pretty clear that he wants to get back to a ground and pound, grind it out offense with some influence from last year until he gets his personnel. With a guy like Newell (I'd take him on the Griz any day) I think this may be a good approach and will lead to good production but won't be on par (scoring wise) with what you've seen last couple years with Prukop under center. That's the other HUGE variable IMO, your unknown at QB. If there is one position that you need an absolute stud that makes everything else run smoothly and keeps you in every game even when things are not going great in all the other phases, it's at QB. I think the fact alone that you have a bit of a question mark at QB will make a pretty big difference. Bruggman sounds like he's been good but I think you'll see some normal drop off. I think you'll score closer to 30-34 points per game. That's not a bad offense at all provided your defense can give up less than that 30-34 per game. Which leads me to defense.

Defense - everyone seems to say your defense will automatically be better due to new coaches, new attitudes, and a year under the belts of the young kids. While that sounds good, will it happen? I remember talking with some Cats buds last year and they said there is no way on earth the defense could be any worse than the year prior, but they admitted they were wrong. It was shocking they said. Could that happen again? I don't think so personally. I think your defense will improve, but I don't think it will be a big, game-changing improvement. Your defense has been ranked statistically as not only some of he worse in the Big Sky but also in all of FCS. Now if you can improve that to middle of the Big Sky that's a pretty good jump, but quite possible being the Big Sky defenses seem to fluctuate a lot and are not very strong compared to the MVFC or rest of FCS. Which is my point, that even if you jump a few spots in the Big Sky on a national level that may not amount to much. I think defense will be the tell-tale sign of your season and will dictate whether you are an 8-3 team or a 5-6 team.

Special teams - I know you have a solid kicker in Daly. Sounds like he is hurt and may or may not be an effective contributor this season. Special teams play a big role and you guys have been solid in that front for the most part. The Griz special teams drive me nuts and we sound like we have major kicking issues again. I think that will hurt the Griz and will lead to at least one loss. Will Daly heal up and be effective? Will his replacement be a stud? I must admit I don't much about what you guys have in that department so my guess is your special teams will continue to perform well. I know Logan Jones looks shifty and dangerous as a KR and maybe he'll find a way to return punts. Those types of guys can flip the field in a hurry.

Overall I think you guys will be a 6-5 team with a strong shot at 7-4. I think this is pretty darn respectable for a program with a new staff, new offense, new schemes, etc. Is it football season yet!
I think this is the most objective evaluation I've seen.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 pm

9-2 with win of BSC outright.
Starts with slapping U of I in the Kittydome.
Ends with fried Stitt.
SAC STATE pulls an upset as does SUU at home.
Ranked 5 in the FCS going into playoffs with 3 other BSC teams and no Griz.
MSU, PSU, EWU, SUU and in playoffs. Davis on the bubble.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Tue May 17, 2016 12:18 am

@ Idaho (L)
Bryant (W)
Western Oregon (W)
North Dakota (L)
@ Sac State (W)
Northern Arizona (L)
@ Weber (W)
EWU (L)
@ Southern Utah (L)
UC Davis (W)
@ Montana (L)

Just my two cents. Questionable (I think) is ND and Sac. Could go either way...well I guess they all could. I don't think you will beat Idaho, although I would be elated if you do. They have something to prove, and even though proving it will get them nowhere they will come out swinging. Better team than last year they are. Also Eastern Washington, I don't think you will get by them. My guess is Gubrud impresses. I've heard good things about him.

I think 7-4 at best but I hope you do better.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue May 17, 2016 10:25 am

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:@ Idaho (L)
Bryant (W)
Western Oregon (W)
North Dakota (L)
@ Sac State (W)
Northern Arizona (L)
@ Weber (W)
EWU (L)
@ Southern Utah (L)
UC Davis (W)
@ Montana (L)

Just my two cents. Questionable (I think) is ND and Sac. Could go either way...well I guess they all could. I don't think you will beat Idaho, although I would be elated if you do. They have something to prove, and even though proving it will get them nowhere they will come out swinging. Better team than last year they are. Also Eastern Washington, I don't think you will get by them. My guess is Gubrud impresses. I've heard good things about him.

Pretty sure we aren't going to lose three games at home but I suppose it's possible.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:39 am

Bryant (W)
Western Oregon (W)
North Dakota (L)
@ Sac State (W)
Northern Arizona (L)
@ Weber (W)
EWU (L)
@ Southern Utah (L)
UC Davis (W)
@ Montana (L)

I think this scenario is good to put out there because it shows the effect losing those three home games will have on our schedule. The UND, NAU, and EWU games will determine our season.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue May 17, 2016 10:51 am

Early season wild guesses are always fun. I think we will be about the same as last year. I think the o-line will be better than last year despite the losses. I think the D will be modestly better but despite the new coaching attitude I don't think we have the players to be too damn much better than last year.

On a side note I think the grizz will have a dumpster fire this year... Bob Stitt will be trending down not up in the BSC.

9/1/2016 at Idaho (L)
9/10/2016 Bryant (W)
9/17/2016 Western Oregon (W)
9/24/2016 North Dakota (L)
10/1/2016 at Sacramento State (L)
10/8/2016 Northern Arizona (L)
10/15/2016 at Weber State (L)
10/22/2016 Eastern Washington (L)
11/5/2016 at Southern Utah (W)
11/12/2016 UC Davis (W)
11/19/2016 at Montana (W)

A modest 5-6 not bad for the first year with the new staff.
Last edited by seataccat on Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 am

Oh, I don't know. Do I go with low expectations so I can feel good if we outperform my prediction? I could guess an extremely good season when nothing but a natty would be acceptable. I could then bitch and moan about every aspect of the program in the off-season. There is also the fact that I can't be completely objective and bias free. So, I'll wait until our roster is complete and a few weeks of fall practice are done. I'll then put my B&G sunglasses on and enjoy, or not, the season.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 17, 2016 11:19 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Bryant (W)
Western Oregon (W)
North Dakota (L)
@ Sac State (W)
Northern Arizona (L)
@ Weber (W)
EWU (L)
@ Southern Utah (L)
UC Davis (W)
@ Montana (L)

I think this scenario is good to put out there because it shows the effect losing those three home games will have on our schedule. The UND, NAU, and EWU games will determine our season.
I believe that being dominant at home should be one of our primary goals. That's one of the hallmarks of elite programs...they rarely lose at heme. With 6 home games every season, if we can count on winning those 6 (almost) every year, that means we only need to go 2-3 in our 5 road games, to be virtually guaranteed a playoff berth. That's the way I look at it anyway. We should NEVER lose 3 home games in any season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am

PM me if you think MSU will go 6-5 or worse and would like to make a wager.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:PM me if you think MSU will go 6-5 or worse and would like to make a wager.
I'd like to get in on some of that action too. I would put money on us being at least 7-4 this season, and I'm not usually overly optimistic about such things. I tend to be more pessimistic/realistic with my pre-season predictions.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue May 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Bryant (W)
Western Oregon (W)
North Dakota (L)
@ Sac State (W)
Northern Arizona (L)
@ Weber (W)
EWU (L)
@ Southern Utah (L)
UC Davis (W)
@ Montana (L)

I think we beat UND at home and Beat SUU. I would say Weber is the best chance to lose a road game outside Idaho and the Griz. I also think that We will clip either NAU or EWU. Remember they had 2 of the worst Defenses in the country as well. I honestly see a 4-1, 5-0 start to the season depending on the Idaho game. We may have the conference schedule among Big Sky teams this year.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:02 pm

delusional
[dih-loo-zhuh-nl]
adjective
having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions:
Psychiatry. maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness:

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 pm

DUMB. No definition needed.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 pm

3-7-77 wrote:delusional
[dih-loo-zhuh-nl]
adjective
having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions:
Psychiatry. maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness:
We all know what egriz is like, no need to remind us.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:PM me if you think MSU will go 6-5 or worse and would like to make a wager.
I'd like to get in on some of that action too. I would put money on us being at least 7-4 this season, and I'm not usually overly optimistic about such things. I tend to be more pessimistic/realistic with my pre-season predictions.
I bet nobody can guess how many PMs I've got so far.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 17, 2016 4:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
I'll put the over/under at 0.5, and I'll take the under.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
I'll put the over/under at 0.5, and I'll take the under.
You've got a good future as a bookie.

toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:05 pm

I could see us going 6-5, but not worse than that.