Recent hires

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Recent hires

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Give it five years. The so called "gimmicky" offenses at the FCS won't be considered so "gimmicky."

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun May 15, 2016 2:29 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:Give it five years. The so called "gimmicky" offenses at the FCS won't be considered so "gimmicky."
They already aren't gimmicky. As Papa G pointed out, 'Bama now runs a "gimmicky" offense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:35 pm

So if you don't run power 70% of the time, you run a gimmick offense?

I'd call it a gimmick offense if you pass 55-60 times a game or if your QB has more carries than you lead RB. I don't consider every team that runs the spread or triple option to be gimmicky.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun May 15, 2016 2:55 pm

TomCat88 wrote:So if you don't run power 70% of the time, you run a gimmick offense?

I'd call it a gimmick offense if you pass 55-60 times a game or if your QB has more carries than you lead RB. I don't consider every team that runs the spread or triple option to be gimmicky.
Using this description, Oregon and Baylor don't run gimmicky offenses, either.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sun May 15, 2016 4:56 pm

PapaG wrote:
grizband wrote:You could argue that App State won three connective titles with a"gimmicky" offense.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
plus the last FCS team other than NDSU to win a title was EWU, who not only run a "gimmicky" offense but also were the last team to beat NDSU in the playoffs.
You're right. We should just be happy to play .500 and give the BSC title to the griz. Maybe put our resources into lacrosse. Maybe dominate the conference in that sport. Or field hockey.

I should have waited before renewing my season tickets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
You're right. We should just be happy to play .500 and give the BSC title to the griz. Maybe put our resources into lacrosse. Maybe dominate the conference in that sport. Or field hockey.

What are you talking about? The Griz offense is so gimmicky that they don't even use a fullback nor tight ends. Why worry about the Griz, since "gimmicky" offenses apparently don't win titles anyhow?

I posted that using TomCat's criteria, that Baylor and Oregon don't run a gimmicky offense. I made no comment on MSU's offense at all. I replied to a comment, and you went on some weird tangent about the Griz.

What a ride

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sun May 15, 2016 8:22 pm

PapaG wrote:
BobcatOninetails wrote:

What are you talking about? The Griz offense is so gimmicky that they don't even use a fullback nor tight ends. Why worry about the Griz, since "gimmicky" offenses apparently don't win titles anyhow?

I posted that using TomCat's criteria, that Baylor and Oregon don't run a gimmicky offense. I made no comment on MSU's offense at all. I replied to a comment, and you went on some weird tangent about the Griz.
Sorry. I thought we were talking about football, winning championships, and the kind of teams that do. I forgot that this place is now eCats. I won't interrupt you again your highness.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatOninetails wrote:

Sorry. I thought we were talking about football, winning championships, and the kind of teams that do. I forgot that this place is now eCats. I won't interrupt you again your highness.

Lol..... nice. =D^

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 am

Ya and this thread is about recent hires?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 16, 2016 10:09 am

BobcatOninetails wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatOninetails wrote:

OK thanks for sharing. Using your approach the Bobcats shouldn't be concerned about the Griz, since gimmicky offenses don't win championships according to you. I'm sorry if that logic escapes you, but you brought up the Griz, not me, and you pretty much defeated your own argument in doing so. Now it seems you're upset because I responded to your post, and I certainly didn't attack you in any manner.

What a ride

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 am

If MSU has a good defense and is solid in the secondary, then I don't think the fans should worry whenever they go up against a gimmick offense. The Bobcats, the team, should always be concerned about any team they play. That's just how sports work for coaches and players. Never overlook the opponent.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:23 am

I'm sorry but whether people agree or disagree, we have under-utilized Chad Newell and Gunnar Brekke the last few years even given the fact that they were involved with two of the highest scoring offenses in MSU history. Good things happen when we feature Newell and sprinkle in Brekke. Don't overthink what works. The defense will improve.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 am

VimSince03 wrote:I'm sorry but whether people agree or disagree, we have under-utilized Chad Newell and Gunnar Brekke the last few years even given the fact that they were involved with two of the highest scoring offenses in MSU history. Good things happen when we feature Newell and sprinkle in Brekke. Don't overthink what works. The defense will improve.

I think last year we also incorrectly used Gunnar. Mid season lack of playing also stemmed to Gunnar's concussion.

Chad is just plain tough. We need to keep an eye on his health as the year goes. We missed Knight last year for depth.
Hopefully Nick and Noah pick up quality reps as well.