Big XII Domino Effect

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Big XII Domino Effect

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Believe it or not, I love conference realignment and expansion. I first started working in college athletics around the time that expansion started. I found it thrilling and always wanted to open up ESPN and see what the newest rumor was and what school may be involved. There are people who hate realignment and are tired of it, but I think the drama that unfolds is exciting! I'm one of those people that likes to play around with the realignment feature in NCAA 14 whenever I play the game. I just think the whole thing is fun.

Now that the Big XII will soon make a decision on expansion, I can't help but wonder what the Domino Effect will be when it comes to MSU. Let me first lead with that I'm all for MSU joining the FBS. I think that the major difference between FBS and FCS, in terms of the general public and casual sports fans, is RESPECT. You have no idea how many times I ran into people who still call FCS "I-AA", despite not having that moniker for over a decade. People also assume that FCS is Division II or that they play a lesser form of football. NDSU won five national champions and yet no one talks about them, wether it's on ESPN or just in public, people would rather talk about Alabama and the SEC :evil: . Basically they tell me that FCS National Championships "don't count". I bring up the fact that MSU has won three national titles, more than some FBS schools, and they don't seem to care. Heck, Princeton has the most national championships at 28, but when people talk about the greatest programs or teams of all time, Princeton (or any other FCS program for that matter) is never mentioned. I could go on, but the fact is that I feel that moving to FBS would be good for MSU in terms of respect and national visibility because the truth is that you can't change people's perception of FCS because those at ESPN and other sports networks choose not to give them respect, thus the general public has no respect for them.

What I'm getting at is that I think that the Big XII expansion could lead to MSU going to the FBS. We keep hearing names like UCF, Ciny, and Memphis, but those names are there just to appease West Virginia. However, it is very likely that they could go west with schools like BYU, Colorado State, or Boise State. If one or more teams from the Mountain West are taken by the Big XII, it then could lead to the MW expanding and picking up new teams. True, deregulation (which effectively killed Idaho and may have mortally wounded New Mexico State) is in effect and if the MW was down to 10 teams, they could still have a championship game, but I don't see them doing that. I feel that the MW will do what they can to stay at 12 teams. Names like UTEP and Rice have come up in the past to expand their television footprint, but with the possible new contract with ESPN that C-USA is working on, it now seems less likely that UTEP or Rice would bolt for the MW, who's TV deal is not on par with what C-USA might work out. Teams like Idaho and NMSU could be a possibility given many other factors, but I think most agree that the MW is not interested in either. So where else would the MW get teams? Certainly not from the Pac-12, if anything the PAC-12 may want to expand to 14 or 16 and look to schools like Hawaii. The only avenue that the MW has for expansion is the Big Sky. Sure they could pick up NDSU, but frankly, they are a better fit, geographically, for the MAC than the MW. Either way, the Big Sky would be the first target for the MW.

I know a lot of you will say that MSU would never go to the FBS, that we don't have the money, facilities, Title XI, blah, blah, blah. Don't you think that if the MW sent us an invite that we would really turn it down? Really? I think that if the MW was looking for teams for expansion, MSU would be on the short list of candidates. I also know you will say that Montana would get picked over MSU for expansion. However, after living in Montana for for years, attending (and graduating) from MSU, and working for Bobcat athletics, it has been my understanding that Montana can't move up without MSU going with it. That if you want Montana, you have to take MSU with you. From my understanding, when Montana was offered the chance to join the WAC, had they joined state legislators would have tried to block the move unless MSU went to the WAC with them. Basically that Montana and MSU are a package deal and you can't have one without the other. Much in the same way as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The relationship between the two schools, in my mind, has been more analogous to schools like that, rather say Iowa and Iowa State. Point being that the two schools would move up together because the state would not allow one to do it without the other. So even if MSU isn't directly selected, if Montana is, then we will go. And sure, other schools like Eastern Washington may get a good look, but I think that both Montana schools bring more to the table than EWU.

All I'm saying is that whatever the higher ups in Texas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia do, could have a monumental effect on athletics in the state of Montana. I think that if the MW is decreased to ten or fewer schools, that the MW will expand into the Big Sky, and that the Montana schools are at the top of the list. If MSU is invited to the MW, we should go. I would love to see this all play out. I really want to see MSU in the FBS, and this may be our best chance in the near future.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Big XII Domino Effect

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue May 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Its official this has been the craziest day ever on BN!!

If your left, you aren’t right.

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Its official this has been the craziest day ever on BN!!
Like none of you like to play "what if".

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 11, 2016 7:52 am

So Idaho just came back after 20 years of failure and now you want to move up? We are nowhere near ready to be an FBS school, and with the group of 5 becoming less prominent, why on earth would we want to move into a conference with a handful of teams that are often bad to mediocre. At least one of which has talked internally about a drop to FCS? I'd rather be a Big Sky power against the likes of UM, UND, EWU, Idaho etc., than an afterthought of an FBS school among WY, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii and the like.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed May 11, 2016 8:16 am

BleedingBLue wrote:So Idaho just came back after 20 years of failure and now you want to move up? We are nowhere near ready to be an FBS school, and with the group of 5 becoming less prominent, why on earth would we want to move into a conference with a handful of teams that are often bad to mediocre. At least one of which has talked internally about a drop to FCS? I'd rather be a Big Sky power against the likes of UM, UND, EWU, Idaho etc., than an afterthought of an FBS school among WY, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii and the like.
+1

Also, I love that we have a CHANCE of winning a national championship every year at this level. If we moved up the best thing we could ever hope for would be winning the Tampon Bowl, or one of the other 50 stupid f*ckin bowl/names they have now.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by dencat91 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:52 am

Its not up to the university today decide to move up. Invite or no invite. The state board of regents makes that final decision. The state of MT does not have the tax base to support the increased costs the FBS brings. That is all moving up would create for dUMb and MSU increased costs. I dont know if anyone noticed but Forbes magazine rated bozeman in their top 10 (#9) best college towns in america. That is the kind of press we need. It was based on quality and cost of education and quality of life.............And frankly I think it is time for the FCS to make a commitment to increase its visibility because once the power 5 breaks away from the NCAA, the FCS is all they will have.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed May 11, 2016 9:08 pm

In the near future:

The top 5 FBS conferences with 60-80 teams will leave the rest behind. (Division 1.)

The "lower" FBS will merge with the upper FCS and will become the new conference. (Division 2)
Hopefully this division will adopt a playoff system, which would be the best possible result for the Montana teams. Better teams to play and a playoff also.
IE think about a cat schedule with UM, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, WSU, BYU and UNLV. I would hope that all fans at UM and msu would love that "move up/ move sideways" scenario.

Just gotta hope that the powers that be in Montana don't step on their dicks and let msu and UM fall to the lesser division with Idaho State, SUU and Davis etc... (Division 3)

This idea has been in the works for about 20 years... Lets face it the big schools want all the revenue...

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 am

Go Scats Go wrote:In the near future:

The top 5 FBS conferences with 60-80 teams will leave the rest behind. (Division 1.)

The "lower" FBS will merge with the upper FCS and will become the new conference. (Division 2)
Hopefully this division will adopt a playoff system, which would be the best possible result for the Montana teams. Better teams to play and a playoff also.
IE think about a cat schedule with UM, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, WSU, BYU and UNLV. I would hope that all fans at UM and msu would love that "move up/ move sideways" scenario.

Just gotta hope that the powers that be in Montana don't step on their dicks and let msu and UM fall to the lesser division with Idaho State, SUU and Davis etc... (Division 3)

This idea has been in the works for about 20 years... Lets face it the big schools want all the revenue...

This is exactly what I think is going to happen. When the dust settles, it's going to look very much like 1-AA looked originally. It's actually surprised me how many teams are spending all the money for facility upgrades, etc. for the sole purpose of moving to FBS when, in a few years, they'll be right back where they started.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 am

Are they going to leave the NCAA behind also? They are basically getting everything they want with the structure that exists today.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 12, 2016 9:45 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._B ... f_Oklahoma

Not to be argumentative about dates and times, but this lawsuit will once again rear it's head if the the Group of Five or Plus 5 if you will continually screw with the Power 5 schools and the original members of the CFA will go their separate ways and take all their money with them.

Whether we like it or not, the rest of the country doesn't care one way or the other whether we refer to ourselves as FCS or Division II. We're small college and the Group of 5 by and large are also considered small college by the Power 5 schools and their fans. ESPN is part of Disney's conglomerate as is ABC and that's the only reason y'all see the ESPN writers and staff continually push one of the Power 5 conferences picking up BYU, for example, and a few of their favorites. The conferences themselves are going to decide who to ask to join, not a writer for a network. With the revenue sharing of the various conferences, it's conceivable (although highly unlikely) an FCS school is asked to join one of the Power 5 due to geographical fit. When I was a kid, I never thought I'd see the two Arizona schools leave the WAC and to me the Mountain West isn't very feasible if their schools get picked up by the Big 12 or 10. To me, it's more than likely we see a few football playing schools join the WCC or WAC after the next series of conference realignment.

So yes, the FBS Group of 5 and FCS is going to change considerably soon and it's my belief our very own President Cruzado understands this much better than our former AD and she obviously isn't the type of individual to sit around and wait and see what's going to happen. She's preparing for the change and expects everybody employed by the school to understand and work on her vision for the future of our school.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri May 13, 2016 7:42 am

At this point we cam only dream, but how fun would this be: listed by b-ball travel partners.
***note, yes a lot of these schools would fight this: more specifically Boise and BYU: so this is just a fun idea with tweeking that would surly be needed.

Would allow for 18 Conf. B-ball games & 9 Conf. Football Games, Softball, volleyball and Soccer would all work too.

UM
msu
(3 hour drive)

Idaho
Washington State
(8 miles apart)

Wyoming
Colorado State
(65 miles apart)

Utah State
Boise or BYU
(Utah State to Boise is 5 hours, Utah State to BYU is 125 miles)

Nevada
UNLV
Last edited by Go Scats Go on Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 am

BTW

It would be cool to see EWU, WSU, Idaho, UM and msu in the same conf.

But EWU's facilities would need an upgrade

NavyBlue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NavyBlue » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

Even if this happens current FCS schools will have to "move up" to join them. You will still need to add scholarships, and facilities to be on that level. I don't see any current FBS gang of 5 schools dropping to 63 scholarships for instance.

NavyBlue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NavyBlue » Wed May 18, 2016 11:05 am

Go Scats Go wrote:BTW

By WSU do you mean Weber State or Washington State? Washington State is the Pac-12, they are safe, and in do danger of being relegated to a lower division.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 pm

NavyBlue wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:BTW

By WSU do you mean Weber State or Washington State? Washington State is the Pac-12, they are safe, and in do danger of being relegated to a lower division.
I suspect Weber as they were a charter member of the Big Sky.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable