The 11 walk ons

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: The 11 walk ons

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I'll write up stuff on the four out-of-staters tomorrow.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue May 10, 2016 5:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:I'll write up stuff on the four out-of-staters tomorrow.
Excellent write up Vim! Thanks for taking the time to do this! I'm quite a bit more excited about some of these prospects than I was before I read your analysis. Thanks again!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:34 am

The Out-Of-State Preferred Walk-Ons:

Austin Barrette - 6'0", 220 lbs. - Santa Margarita, CA

One of my favorite players in the entire 2016 class. We got him as a preferred walk-on and it was a steal in my opinion. Austin was lightly recruited out of high school and I think a lot of it had to do with the same crap that has haunted linebackers for years at every level: not tall enough and not athletic enough. Well here is what I can tell you based off of Austin's five minute highlight film...this kid can play linebacker. Austin's post-snap movement is something a coach should go crazy for on film. When tackling, he uses great technique by breaking down and exploding through the ball carrier. From what I see, Austin doesn't have limitations with his lateral movement but top-end speed limits him some. However, he takes great angles to the ball carrier which helps him make up for his lack of speed. Austin is a physical son of a gun who likes to get his nose dirty. My favorite play on his film comes at 2:18 where he blitzes up the middle, forces a quick throw by the quarterback which leads to an interception, and then Austin makes the block down the field to secure the pick six. Overall, Austin is a tackling machine who plays linebacker the right way and was a three year starter in a tough California football division. If this kid doesn't remind you of Bobby Daly on film, I don't know who does.

Kamden Brown - 6'2", 190 lbs. - Covina, CA

Photo credit to SGV Tribune

Kamden is a pro-style quarterback recruit out of Covina and was high school teammates with our DB recruit Damien Washington. You can tell he has gotten good coaching over the years because of his footwork, pocket presence, and throwing position. He keeps his eyes down the field when the play breaks down and his technique stays consistent throughout. His stats and film show that he doesn't turn the ball over a lot and makes the correct decision at a high rate. His film shows nothing flashy, just solid quarterback play. His limits probably come from overall athleticism and arm strength but we all know you don't have to be a world class athlete to play quarterback as long as you make good decisions with the ball. I think Kamden is a fantastic PWO. He was the first team QB for the CIF Central Division in 2014 and 2015 which is another good division in California. I know a lot of us haven't seen Bruggman play yet but Kamden's game compares a lot to Tyler. I like that we have dual threat guy in Chris Murray and a pro-style guy in Kamden Brown to develop under Messingham for the next few years. We will have options.

Brian Campbell - 6'3", 195 lbs. - Covington, WA

Photo credit to The News Tribune

Brian is coming to MSU as an athlete after playing QB in high school for Kentwood High School in Washington. His film shows a kid who can scramble around and make plays with his feet and arm. Actually, the throw he makes rolling to his left at :34 seconds in his film is one of the more impressive throws you will see from a kid. But I can understand why Choate is bringing him aboard as an athlete first. We have four other young QBs (not including Bruggman) so bringing Brian aboard with no set position gives him a better opportunity for earlier playing time because I think he can make a decent safety. I've been waiting a few years for MSU to turn one of these QB recruits into a safety so the athleticism doesn't get wasted and maybe Campbell can be that recruit. However, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a QB. The kid has sprinkles of Prukop and Lulay in his game.

Connor Floden - 6'1", 275 lbs. - El Dorado Hills, CA

Connor is a good looking interior offensive line recruit from El Dorado Hills. Love his film because it shows so many good things that you look for in a future guard or center. I think he will be the heir apparent to Alex Neale when his career is done. Connor has a good first step off the line and demonstrates great leverage when engaging blockers. Some nice pancakes throughout his film. I think he over-extends sometimes when blocking in the run game which leads to some poor blocks. But overall Connor is a good looking football player. I don't mind adding him and Luke Channer to the interior of our offensive line as PWOs. Connor is comparable to Monte Folsom from what I see at this point. Shorter lineman who can hold their own in the run game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri May 13, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm looking forward to Martel playing on Martel Field!

Gut feeling - a sleeper in this group (not saying THE sleeper) feels like the QB from Charter Oak. He looks unusually polished and solid, a proven winner in a very tough CIF division, and fits what I think will be Messingham's offense - in a similar way Carson Wentz fit NDSU's. We won't need to rely on a Big Play VA, DP, or DM to win more games if this is the case.

State
New Recruit

Post by State » Sun May 15, 2016 9:48 am

That is quite an impressive group!. Hard to believe PWO's. I especially liked the highlights for Floden. That guy is a road grader and you can tell he loves playing the game. Great directional blocking, finishing, and field/ball awareness. He is going to be a good one!