facilities???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: facilities???

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 am

MSU Toddler wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
grizgirl wrote:Please don't take this wrong, but you need to face it you're doing something wrong. The end zone renovation, scoreboard and lights were a great boost for you, but nothing has happened since. Meanwhile, we're getting a new scoreboard and sound system this summer. We got new LED ribbon scoreboards/advertising a couple years ago. We're getting the new academic center this summer/fall. We're getting champions hall in 2017. We added the second level of seating 7-8 years ago. We keep making additions and improvements, some big some small in consistent fashion while you do things in fits and starts.

That just doesn't make sense. It should be the other way around and that tells me someone was screwing up big time.
It is all about priorities at the school as a whole. At MSU, the money has gone to improve the academic side which has resulted in increased enrollment. Yes, UM has made improvements to athletic facilities but enrollment is plummeting and the school is in bad shape overall financially.
Your last sentence is very true, but it isn't like MSU gets money and then decides it will put it towards academics. MSU does a great job bringing revenue for academics, but is doing something wrong in how it goes about bringing in revenue for sports. There is no way UM should be getting consistent upgrades, while MSU is so hit and miss. It isn't like UM has way more alumni or way more wealthy alumni. There's got to be a disconnect there somewhere.
Going back to the 90s, there is a clear difference in strategy between MSU (focus on academics) and UM (focus on building a football powerhouse) and both have been extremely successful at it - some at the frustration of alumni. Who wouldn't be envious of UM success with the football program and facilities? Who wouldn't be envious of MSU's enrollment growth rate and brand new world class buildings expanding future academic growth?

The real question is: Which boat would you rather be in as a university right now? One that has expanded it's campus, growing enrollment, and now a very targeted team/strategy to turn around its football program and facilities OR one that has no real enrollment strategy and is working on "right sizing" or down sizing?
I've agreed with that. You make it sound like a college can't focus on both academics and sports. I'm making a comparison between MSU and UM sports, so focus on that. You can't tell me that you can only focus on academics or sports, not both. The MSU AD shouldn't blow off trying to get funds for sports facilities because he's focused on raising funds for academics. I think your AD was trying to raise funds for sports, but was doing something wrong. You saying, well we're only focused on academics is just lying to yourself. If that's really what's going on, then problem identified.

Go Dark Brandon!!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:13 am

grizgirl wrote:Please don't take this wrong, but you need to face it you're doing something wrong. The end zone renovation, scoreboard and lights were a great boost for you, but nothing has happened since. Meanwhile, we're getting a new scoreboard and sound system this summer. We got new LED ribbon scoreboards/advertising a couple years ago. We're getting the new academic center this summer/fall. We're getting champions hall in 2017. We added the second level of seating 7-8 years ago. We keep making additions and improvements, some big some small in consistent fashion while you do things in fits and starts.

That just doesn't make sense. It should be the other way around and that tells me someone was screwing up big time.
Why do you think that Fields contract was not renewed? I think most of us and WC figured out what you are saying long ago.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 am

grizgirl wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

It is all about priorities at the school as a whole. At MSU, the money has gone to improve the academic side which has resulted in increased enrollment. Yes, UM has made improvements to athletic facilities but enrollment is plummeting and the school is in bad shape overall financially.
Your last sentence is very true, but it isn't like MSU gets money and then decides it will put it towards academics. MSU does a great job bringing revenue for academics, but is doing something wrong in how it goes about bringing in revenue for sports. There is no way UM should be getting consistent upgrades, while MSU is so hit and miss. It isn't like UM has way more alumni or way more wealthy alumni. There's got to be a disconnect there somewhere.
Going back to the 90s, there is a clear difference in strategy between MSU (focus on academics) and UM (focus on building a football powerhouse) and both have been extremely successful at it - some at the frustration of alumni. Who wouldn't be envious of UM success with the football program and facilities? Who wouldn't be envious of MSU's enrollment growth rate and brand new world class buildings expanding future academic growth?

The real question is: Which boat would you rather be in as a university right now? One that has expanded it's campus, growing enrollment, and now a very targeted team/strategy to turn around its football program and facilities OR one that has no real enrollment strategy and is working on "right sizing" or down sizing?
I've agreed with that. You make it sound like a college can't focus on both academics and sports. I'm making a comparison between MSU and UM sports, so focus on that. You can't tell me that you can only focus on academics or sports, not both. The MSU AD shouldn't blow off trying to get funds for sports facilities because he's focused on raising funds for academics. I think your AD was trying to raise funds for sports, but was doing something wrong. You saying, well we're only focused on academics is just lying to yourself. If that's really what's going on, then problem identified.
Agreed. Fields absolutely needed to go. The South End Zone got done because of Cruzado. Fields was just going through the motions (maybe not on purpose), but he was NOT effective as a fund raiser.

I think the athletic facilities at MSU are in bad shape right now compared to what the could/should be

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 am

grizgirl wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

I guess if you are very simple minded, you would interpret what I said as that is all that either university does. Does UM have classes and programs? Does MSU have a football team. Good grief....

I'm simply providing you with the mindset of MSU leadership going back to the 90s. Please show me what is wrong with what I said: UM is in deep trouble with enrollment and is downsizing because of its priority (which means they do more than one thing) was not on building up academic programs to sustain itself. MSU didn't focus heavily on investing in sports and its facilities (it did invest and fielded a very successful FCS program - not top tier). The AD reports to the President and if the President doesn't emphasize sports, it is a lower priority.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:18 am

hmmm.
“I think we’ve had our one big videoboard up there since the early 2000s and there’s a lot of nicer products out there,” Maes said. “So our corporate sponsor Learfield Sports is going to step up and put in a new videoboard for us.”
http://963theblaze.com/new-scoreboard-h ... f-montana/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 05, 2016 12:10 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Cats15 wrote:

There is one family called the Washington's that you can thank for most that money. Without them no academic center or champions hall...
Yes, the Washingtons give a lot of money, but that's a cop out to think that they make that big of a difference. They donated labor for the initial stadium build and $7 million of the $14 million for Champions Hall. I'm not aware of any other large chunks of funds given to anything else for sports, but I'm sure they've pitched in here and there. Of all the work done around WGS I'd say they've put in about 10% and that might be high.
As I have a daughter who decided to follow in her great uncle's footsteps and become a journalist, I've had an opportunity to spend quite a bit of time on the campus in Missoula this past school year. I notice there's a hall named after Phyllis Washington, not to disagree for any reason, but I believe a man worth 4.6 billion does in fact provide much more for the school than just on the athletic side of it.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cats15 wrote:

There is one family called the Washington's that you can thank for most that money. Without them no academic center or champions hall...
Yes, the Washingtons give a lot of money, but that's a cop out to think that they make that big of a difference. They donated labor for the initial stadium build and $7 million of the $14 million for Champions Hall. I'm not aware of any other large chunks of funds given to anything else for sports, but I'm sure they've pitched in here and there. Of all the work done around WGS I'd say they've put in about 10% and that might be high.
As I have a daughter who decided to follow in her great uncle's footsteps and become a journalist, I've had an opportunity to spend quite a bit of time on the campus in Missoula this past school year. I notice there's a hall named after Phyllis Washington, not to disagree for any reason, but I believe a man worth 4.6 billion does in fact provide much more for the school than just on the athletic side of it.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I only know of $8 million donated to sports by them. I don't know how much money has been spent on WGS and other sports related venues. My point was that WashCorp hasn't donated a huge percentage of the total spent on sports at UM.

Dennis Washington actually went to school at MSU for a short time. I don't believe he ever attended UM. I think his wife and kids graduated from UM. I shouldn't be giving him any ideas, but maybe your new AD will approach Dennis. [-X :lol:

BTW Learfield is financing the new scoreboard and sound system. Why or how Learfield? you ask. Unless they're owned by a UM grad I think the most likely answer is we're good at raising funds for sports. I have to admit I never even would've thought to ask Learfield for money.

Go Dark Brandon!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 05, 2016 1:28 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cats15 wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that. I only know of $8 million donated to sports by them. I don't know how much money has been spent on WGS and other sports related venues. My point was that WashCorp hasn't donated a huge percentage of the total spent on sports at UM.

Dennis Washington actually went to school at MSU for a short time. I don't believe he ever attended UM. I think his wife and kids graduated from UM. I shouldn't be giving him any ideas, but maybe your new AD will approach Dennis. [-X [emoji38]

BTW Learfield is financing the new scoreboard and sound system. Why or how Learfield? you ask. Unless they're owned by a UM grad I think the most likely answer is we're good at raising funds for sports. I have to admit I never even would've thought to ask Learfield for money.
$8 million coming from one person is a lot of money. Of course if you convert that to a percentage of total money spent on sports, you could say it's "not a huge percentage" I suppose.

How much money do you think the #2 donor has given to griz sports?

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 pm

91catAlum wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cats15 wrote:

Dennis Washington actually went to school at MSU for a short time. I don't believe he ever attended UM. I think his wife and kids graduated from UM. I shouldn't be giving him any ideas, but maybe your new AD will approach Dennis. [-X [emoji38]

$8 million coming from one person is a lot of money. Of course if you convert that to a percentage of total money spent on sports, you could say it's "not a huge percentage" I suppose.

Correct it is a large amount for one person to give and I'm sure the #2 donor is well behind that. My point is that even without the money from the Washingtons almost all of these projects big and small would've still been completed. This is why I disagree with the person, in what was a sidebar conversation, that tried to say that UM doesn't get where it is without the Washingtons.

Go Dark Brandon!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 05, 2016 2:15 pm

grizgirl wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Cats15 wrote:

Correct it is a large amount for one person to give and I'm sure the #2 donor is well behind that. My point is that even without the money from the Washingtons almost all of these projects big and small would've still been completed. This is why I disagree with the person, in what was a sidebar conversation, that tried to say that UM doesn't get where it is without the Washingtons.
I'm not sure $8 million is the correct figure. Even still, it's a lot of money to replace if Washington didn't donate it. That's almost enough to pay for our entire end zone project.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Sorry but if a Cat fan said what she initially said, people would be agreeing. I don't disagree with anything she's said. This thread started talking about fundraising for athletics and how Fields hasn't done so hot. And then a griz fan pipes in saying the same thing and it's wrong? Weather or not our main emphasis was on academics or not, our athletic fundraising has sucked albeit the new end zone. They have done better. And they have educational donations too ala the education center. Their problems arise from an attitude of indifference to football player indiscretions. Not a lack of education fundraising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 05, 2016 2:42 pm

I don't recall one single person arguing that MSU's athletic fund raising hasn't sucked.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu May 05, 2016 2:43 pm

BTW did anyone know the 2nd wealthiest person in MT lives in Bozeman and her brother who she is tied with for 2nd lives in Livingston. She was in the DG sorority at MSU. Headwaters Academy still has the DG anchor out front. Her husband is a pretty nice guy. She owns.......a well known shop in town that you wouldn't expect a woman of her wealth to own. Her money is from the Cargill fortune.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu May 05, 2016 2:45 pm

91catAlum wrote:I don't recall one single person arguing that MSU's athletic fund raising hasn't sucked.
Just seemed defensive about it.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Fits and starts was a good way to put it.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:04 pm

lutecat wrote:BTW did anyone know the 2nd wealthiest person in MT lives in Bozeman and her brother who she is tied with for 2nd lives in Livingston. She was in the DG sorority at MSU. Headwaters Academy still has the DG anchor out front. Her husband is a pretty nice guy. She owns.......a well known shop in town that you wouldn't expect a woman of her wealth to own. Her money is from the Cargill fortune.

Each one is worth about 3.8 billion. [-o<

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
lutecat wrote:BTW did anyone know the 2nd wealthiest person in MT lives in Bozeman and her brother who she is tied with for 2nd lives in Livingston. She was in the DG sorority at MSU. Headwaters Academy still has the DG anchor out front. Her husband is a pretty nice guy. She owns.......a well known shop in town that you wouldn't expect a woman of her wealth to own. Her money is from the Cargill fortune.

CALL HER UP!!!!

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu May 05, 2016 3:16 pm

I believe that is who donated a significant amount for the new track facilities a couple years ago.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

CALL HER UP!!!!
I wonder if Fields ever did ? Hope both are on the top of Brennans list.

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Texas high school to build $62.8 million football stadium

A high school in McKinney, Texas has voted in favor of building the most expensive high school stadium in the country.

A board has moved forward with a bond that supports a $62.8 million, 12,000-seat high school football stadium.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... n-mckinney