facilities???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: facilities???

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Now that Dane Fletcher is back in town Brennan's 1st meet and greet should be with him. A large donation from Dane and the weight room in the new practice facility, or the field could be named after him. Just a thought. Why not hit up Burger Bob at the same time and name something after the Fletcher family?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 pm

I know I'm the exception on this board, but I would rather give money to the academic side of MSU. I mean, I love sports and support with tickets/booster costs, but the academics are more important to me. The football team doing well is just bragging rights IMO, and I'd like to see my money go somewhere a little more important.

Anyways, I think a lot of people have this mindset. Maybe Brennan can change that, Fields sure couldn't.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:I know I'm the exception on this board, but I would rather give money to the academic side of MSU. I mean, I love sports and support with tickets/booster costs, but the academics are more important to me. The football team doing well is just bragging rights IMO, and I'd like to see my money go somewhere a little more important.

Anyways, I think a lot of people have this mindset. Maybe Brennan can change that, Fields sure couldn't.

what kind of stupid nonsense is that!....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 pm

An academic center will be a perfect time to donate.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Hawks86 wrote:An academic center will be a perfect time to donate.
Agreed.

MSU has also got some pretty huge donations to their academics as of late.

Academic Center, Indoor Practice Facility, and East Side stands should be among the top things to get done.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed May 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Agreed.

Academic Center, Indoor Practice Facility, and East Side stands should be among the top things to get done.
This

Brennan just needs to take Utah's Academic Center plans (the one they built 3 years ago), with him on the way out of town, update the geotech for MSU footprint, and have Martel build it[emoji57]. I'd donate.

I have degrees from two other schools, and they each call me once or twice a year for donations. MSU has called me once in 5 years, and never asked for a donation, just informed me of Jabs' donation. I kinda walked away thinking 'great, they got all they need from Jake.'

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 pm

JDoub wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Agreed.

This

Brennan just needs to take Utah's Academic Center plans (the one they built 3 years ago), with him on the way out of town, update the geotech for MSU footprint, and have Martel build it[emoji57]. I'd donate.

I have degrees from two other schools, and they each call me once or twice a year for donations. MSU has called me once in 5 years, and never asked for a donation, just informed me of Jabs' donation. I kinda walked away thinking 'great, they got all they need from Jake.'
Wow that's strange. I get a call once every year asking me to re-up my donation to the college of engineering.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Agreed.

This

Wow that's strange. I get a call once every year asking me to re-up my donation to the college of engineering.
But how many calls have you gotten to donate to the stadium project?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Agreed.

This

But how many calls have you gotten to donate to the stadium project?
Hmmm... Off the top of my head, I don't remember getting any calls for sports related projects.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed May 04, 2016 9:20 pm

zootowncat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I'm really excited to meet Brennan and hear him talk in person.

Over the years I've met Fields probably 10-15 times. I use the word "met" because the next time I see him I'll have to meet him again. I'm not a large donor in any one area but over the past 10 years I've probably given over $10k between tickets, the stadium expansion, Bobcat Club, the track upgrades, camps for my kids, fundraisers, etc. Yet every time I see Fields I have to be re-introduced and you'd think we've never met. I even spent one full day in a foursome with him at a golf event. Yet, Coach Fish, Coach Ash, Coach McEndoo, Josh Wanago, Hillary, etc, etc. all remember my name and go out of their way to be friendly when I see them.

That has always bothered me.
I have heard this exact comment from multiple people/boosters who attend fundraisers, bobcat club, and "met" Fields many times...but every next time it is like the first time they met to him. I can't imagine having to remember all the names of people he shook hands with but at least fake it sometimes or the old "hey...man good to see you again" while your mind is racing.

On the other side of the spectrum, whenever I would talk with Coach Kramer, I would eventually re-introduce myself and he would always say "I know" but he never used my name.......THAT also sort of bothered me. I could see the ******.

Being a person so can't remember names, I have no problem with anyone who isn't great remembering them either.....some people have a real gift remembering names...most don't...in my humble opinion.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:55 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
I'd love to be wrong by reading an announcement of a bunch of Hollywood/Bozeman part-timers donating millions to upgrade our stadium and build an indoor practice facility, but I'm not holding my breath ... we will likely need to make this happen within our own ranks.
Totally agree. But if we could raise the Brand to the level where part-time residents want to be associated with MSU....then we will have accomplished something. Lofty I know. But shoot for the moon. Jeff Fisher/Missoula? When his son looked for a place to go to school, where did he go? I would bet Fisher was a fan before that happened. If the AD has the stones to ask some of those people to join him for a game, and entertain them. Someone's saying "ok" at some point. The pretty girl is never going to go out with you if you don't ask her. And not everyone has the stones to ask a model out. I think our new AD does based on what he's said so far.
I like it ... especially with the idea of starting small and building up. If there were ways to make inroads with various local celebs and ways to get them to some games, that could really turn into something cool over time (in addition to maybe even drawing more fans due to the "LA Lakers courtside" affect).

As a guy who has done some marketing over the years, I would have to say that "location" and opportunity often go hand in hand. In real estate, "location, location, location" is a mantra. One of the issues raised in regards to fund raising is that Bozeman itself in located well. Just north of Yellowstone, on I-90 between Billings and Missoula, fly-fishing, mountaineering, skiing, international airport, central state location, close to Big Sky and the Yellowstone Club, Livingston and several celebs and attractions, etc... all provide an "opportunity" to attract people to the area.

What is needed? attractions, events, services, adventures, opportunities to mix with others for significant moments...and THIS is where the university can be a central HUB for all of that to happen. The AD is one piece of the picture. Can Kyle bring forward an energy to develop what we already have? Can he spark development of what we don't yet have but what we need in order to see Bozeman elevated on a sports level?

Working the group in Big Sky is a nice opportunity to develop long range relationships to serve them and the uni with potential "events" both sporting and non- that appeals to that group. If we can build those relationships, you'd be surprised who will want to be the first name on a new "center", stadium, etc...because part of the cache for those with wealth, is that they are first among their peer group...in a good way. Look at Big Sky and what Chet Huntley did with that place. It is a world class gem now, but then it was only a "location". Ted Turner is noted for philanthropy, his name has been on several...I would look for a way to develop a science center with his name on in at the university. Once a whale starts giving like that, (ala Jake Jabs...yes, he is an MSU grad but...), then others notice.

There is a great opportunity to make MSU far more than she is or has been...it only takes "thinking outside" of the preverbal box.
Last edited by catsrback76 on Thu May 05, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 am

catsrback76 wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
I'd love to be wrong by reading an announcement of a bunch of Hollywood/Bozeman part-timers donating millions to upgrade our stadium and build an indoor practice facility, but I'm not holding my breath ... we will likely need to make this happen within our own ranks.
Totally agree. But if we could raise the Brand to the level where part-time residents want to be associated with MSU....then we will have accomplished something. Lofty I know. But shoot for the moon. Jeff Fisher/Missoula? When his son looked for a place to go to school, where did he go? I would bet Fisher was a fan before that happened. If the AD has the stones to ask some of those people to join him for a game, and entertain them. Someone's saying "ok" at some point. The pretty girl is never going to go out with you if you don't ask her. And not everyone has the stones to ask a model out. I think our new AD does based on what he's said so far.
I like it ... especially with the idea of starting small and building up. If there were ways to make inroads with various local celebs and ways to get them to some games, that could really turn into something cool over time (in addition to maybe even drawing more fans due to the "LA Lakers courtside" affect).

As a guy who has done some marketing over the years, I would have to say that "location" and opportunity often go hand in hand. In real estate, "location, location, location" is a mantra. One of the issues raised in regards to fund raising is that Bozeman itself in located well. Just north of Yellowstone, on I-90 between Billings and Missoula, fly-fishing, mountaineering, skiing, international airport, central state location, close to Big Sky and the Yellowstone Club, Livingston and several celebs and attractions, etc... all provide an "opportunity" to attract people to the area.

What is needed? attractions, events, services, adventures, opportunities to mix with others for significant moments...and THIS is where the university can be a central HUB for all of that to happen. The AD is one piece of the picture. Can Kyle bring forward an energy to develop what we already have? Can he spark development of what we don't yet have but what we need in order to see Bozeman elevated on a sports level?

Working the group in Big Sky is a nice opportunity to develop long range relationships to serve them and the uni with potential "events" both sporting and non- that appeals to that group. If we can build those relationships, you'd be surprised who will want to be the first name on a new "center", stadium, etc...because park of the cache for those with wealth, is that they are first among their peer group...in a good way. Look at Big Sky and what Chet Huntley did with that place. It is a world class gem now, but then it was only a "location". Ted Turner is noted for philanthropy, his name has been on several...I would look for a way to develop a science center with his name on in at the university. Once a whale starts giving like that, (ala Jake Jabs...yes, he is an MSU grad but...), then others notice.

There is a great opportunity to make MSU far more than she is or has been...it only takes "thinking outside" of the preverbal box.
What you're suggesting is basically what all the SEC schools do. Three of Ted's five kids are Citadel graduates, so the ROTC aspect is strong especially in light of the fact that Beau lives in the area most of the year. Dr. Cruzado fully understands the Land Grant institutions mission and will not accept anything less than the best efforts by her administrators. She leads by example.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 am

Please don't take this wrong, but you need to face it you're doing something wrong. The end zone renovation, scoreboard and lights were a great boost for you, but nothing has happened since. Meanwhile, we're getting a new scoreboard and sound system this summer. We got new LED ribbon scoreboards/advertising a couple years ago. We're getting the new academic center this summer/fall. We're getting champions hall in 2017. We added the second level of seating 7-8 years ago. We keep making additions and improvements, some big some small in consistent fashion while you do things in fits and starts.

That just doesn't make sense. It should be the other way around and that tells me someone was screwing up big time.

Go Dark Brandon!!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu May 05, 2016 7:21 am

grizgirl wrote:Please don't take this wrong, but you need to face it you're doing something wrong. The end zone renovation, scoreboard and lights were a great boost for you, but nothing has happened since. Meanwhile, we're getting a new scoreboard and sound system this summer. We got new LED ribbon scoreboards/advertising a couple years ago. We're getting the new academic center this summer/fall. We're getting champions hall in 2017. We added the second level of seating 7-8 years ago. We keep making additions and improvements, some big some small in consistent fashion while you do things in fits and starts.

That just doesn't make sense. It should be the other way around and that tells me someone was screwing up big time.
It is all about priorities at the school as a whole. At MSU, the money has gone to improve the academic side which has resulted in increased enrollment. Yes, UM has made improvements to athletic facilities but enrollment is plummeting and the school is in bad shape overall financially.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:00 am

The most important thing is that we start doing something now. We have seen UM take a huge hit lately with a large drop in enrollment. We know that football won't be effected by that, but the school is. MSU is the exact opposite and we need to take advantage of the fact that our school is booming and has many things going for it right now. I would love to see them replace the East Side first but also maybe work on an indoor practice facility down the road. A National Championship would help get the ball rolling.

Punters are people too!!

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:14 am

grizgirl wrote:Please don't take this wrong, but you need to face it you're doing something wrong. The end zone renovation, scoreboard and lights were a great boost for you, but nothing has happened since. Meanwhile, we're getting a new scoreboard and sound system this summer. We got new LED ribbon scoreboards/advertising a couple years ago. We're getting the new academic center this summer/fall. We're getting champions hall in 2017. We added the second level of seating 7-8 years ago. We keep making additions and improvements, some big some small in consistent fashion while you do things in fits and starts.

There is one family called the Washington's that you can thank for most that money. Without them no academic center or champions hall...

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 8:17 am

bobcatbob wrote:

It is all about priorities at the school as a whole. At MSU, the money has gone to improve the academic side which has resulted in increased enrollment. Yes, UM has made improvements to athletic facilities but enrollment is plummeting and the school is in bad shape overall financially.
Your last sentence is very true, but it isn't like MSU gets money and then decides it will put it towards academics. MSU does a great job bringing revenue for academics, but is doing something wrong in how it goes about bringing in revenue for sports. There is no way UM should be getting consistent upgrades, while MSU is so hit and miss. It isn't like UM has way more alumni or way more wealthy alumni. There's got to be a disconnect there somewhere.

Go Dark Brandon!!

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 am

Cats15 wrote:

There is one family called the Washington's that you can thank for most that money. Without them no academic center or champions hall...
Yes, the Washingtons give a lot of money, but that's a cop out to think that they make that big of a difference. They donated labor for the initial stadium build and $7 million of the $14 million for Champions Hall. I'm not aware of any other large chunks of funds given to anything else for sports, but I'm sure they've pitched in here and there. Of all the work done around WGS I'd say they've put in about 10% and that might be high.

Go Dark Brandon!!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 am

grizgirl wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Your last sentence is very true, but it isn't like MSU gets money and then decides it will put it towards academics. MSU does a great job bringing revenue for academics, but is doing something wrong in how it goes about bringing in revenue for sports. There is no way UM should be getting consistent upgrades, while MSU is so hit and miss. It isn't like UM has way more alumni or way more wealthy alumni. There's got to be a disconnect there somewhere.
Going back to the 90s, there is a clear difference in strategy between MSU (focus on academics) and UM (focus on building a football powerhouse) and both have been extremely successful at it - some at the frustration of alumni. Who wouldn't be envious of UM success with the football program and facilities? Who wouldn't be envious of MSU's enrollment growth rate and brand new world class buildings expanding future academic growth?

The real question is: Which boat would you rather be in as a university right now? One that has expanded it's campus, growing enrollment, and now a very targeted team/strategy to turn around its football program and facilities OR one that has no real enrollment strategy and is working on "right sizing" or down sizing?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:53 am

You are forgetting how old your scoreboard is and how long you have needed new locker and training facilities. Those are things that aren't being built just because you can. Your also forgetting all the renovations we've made to the fieldhouse . Not just the new seating, but renovated locker rooms and weight room. Don't forget the new track either. How does your track team like busing to Bozeman for meets.BTW?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."