facilities???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

facilities???

Post by dencat91 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

Ok I am excited to see the enthusiasm coming from the new AD. I do not want to be a wet blanket but what big donars are out there that have not already donated? If I won a big lotto prize, I would donate no matter Ash and Fields being there or not. I have a hard time believing that someone would donate only if those two people are done away with. Are our benefactors that petty that they think they know best. Like I said, I would donate for an indoor practice facility or to eliminate the eye sore east grandstands. Can this new AD make that much of a difference. Utah is a "12 PAC" school. Scraping up donars for there program is a lot easier just because of that. How much can we honestly expect? And I do understand that this is a multiyear project. Even at the "12 PAC" power five level.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: facilities???

Post by iaafan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Greg Gianforte, Beau and Ted Turner, Oracle Corp.

Yes, an AD can make a huge difference.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 pm

iaafan wrote:Greg Gianforte, Beau and Ted Turner, Oracle Corp.

Dencat91, the problem with the old Peter Fields regime was there wasn't an aggressive enough push to find more donors in different places. They can argue that there was but it just wasn't there. Like Kyle Brennan has said, "Think big." Then see the iaafan's quote above.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed May 04, 2016 12:19 pm

What can you give? $30? $20? Have you given anything this last year? More importantly....HAVE YOU BEEN ASKED? I'm guessing, "no". Is it the same with big money donors? I'm sure there are some that give on their own, but if no one asks, then no one gives. And it doesn't have to be an ask for money directly. Dinners. Golf. Other events. A lot of things that an AD should hobnob with donors at that don't have to be "asking for money" verbally. I don't know how much Fields did, if any. The Triangle Classic is not an athletic dept. event. Yes, football benefits from it, but the dept. doesn't put it on. They should probably do some things. I don't know if its possible, but say a $5000/entry golf tournament at Black Bull/Spanish Peaks/Moonlight Basin....the Yellowstone Club. Places where people have to have a membership that the Course could use as a write-off and let the Athletic Dept. on for free or low, and the only people paying are say 100 or so alums that could afford it. That's a half a mill right there. And I don't think 5 grand would be outlandish for one of those places. It gives the donors a chance to donate, but get something awesome out of it too. Just in the way you or I overpay for a football helmet worn by a player. The more you can afford, the higher priced item you will overpay for. Maybe this goes on already, and as someone that can't afford that, I don't hear about it. But this should go on all the time.

In the way the president fundraises a ton and has people in place to handle the everyday grind, so should the AD. Does anyone know how frequently Mike Malone had dinners at his house? Multiple times a week. An AD should probably be constantly entertaining a few times a week. You have to spend money to make money.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed May 04, 2016 12:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:Greg Gianforte, Beau and Ted Turner, Oracle Corp.

Dencat91, the problem with the old Peter Fields regime was there wasn't an aggressive enough push to find more donors in different places. They can argue that there was but it just wasn't there. Like Kyle Brennan has said, "Think big." Then see the iaafan's quote above.
The Yellowstone Club? No reason they can't be our partner along with those other people mentioned. Let bigtime donors on to ski once a year. People with a lot of money aren't going to get sh!tty drunk and look bad or destroy things. No real risk there.

There's a lot of wealthy people in our valley, Big Sky and the Paradise Valley. Lots of people in Big Fork too. Brad and Angelina. Phil Jackson. More that any of us even know about. The dude from NCIS is up in the Seeley area every year. You never know until you ask. Lots of celebs on the USC/UCLA bandwagons that never went there. But they live there so....... I say we get John Mayer to give some money since he lives just outside of Livingston, and then ask all his ex-girlfriends to give more to stick it in his face........

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed May 04, 2016 12:29 pm

It will be interesting to see if there are any staff changes or reorganization within the AD over the next year or so.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 pm

All that said, it's really hard to convince people who don't have ties as Bobcat fans to donate to athletic facilities ... it's just not the kind of thing most people would want to do unless they are, you know, us.

People with money who aren't MSU people may well want to donate to MSU academics or the arts or museums or things like that which really do provide substantial benefits to the larger community and world (and not just some minor economic boost to Bozeman and some major ego boost for us Bobcat fans).

College athletics, on the other hand, serves two purposes:

1. It's a marketing arm to attract students to a school and to elevate the stature of a school via PR; and
2. It's an ego thing for alums of the school

Raising money for sports facilities will, in most cases, need to come from people who already have a strong attachment to those athletic programs in some form.

I'd love to be wrong by reading an announcement of a bunch of Hollywood/Bozeman part-timers donating millions to upgrade our stadium and build an indoor practice facility, but I'm not holding my breath ... we will likely need to make this happen within our own ranks.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

One of the things that's really bothered me over the years is the fact that our athletic department hardly leaves the state with the coaches for the same type activities they wander all over the state doing. Realistically, how many MSU graduates and former athletes still live in Montana compared to Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Seattle, Atlanta etc.?

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed May 04, 2016 12:39 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
I'd love to be wrong by reading an announcement of a bunch of Hollywood/Bozeman part-timers donating millions to upgrade our stadium and build an indoor practice facility, but I'm not holding my breath ... we will likely need to make this happen within our own ranks.
Totally agree. But if we could raise the Brand to the level where part-time residents want to be associated with MSU because its the trendy thing to do(and everything in Bozeman revolves around whats trendy)....then we will have accomplished something. Lofty I know. But shoot for the moon. Jeff Fisher/Missoula? When his son looked for a place to go to school, where did he go? I would bet Fisher was a fan before that happened. If the AD has the stones to ask some of those people to join him for a game, and entertain them. Someone's saying "ok" at some point. The pretty girl is never going to go out with you if you don't ask her. And not everyone has the stones to ask a model out. I think our new AD does based on what he's said so far.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 04, 2016 12:41 pm

lutecat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
Totally agree. But if we could raise the Brand to the level where part-time residents want to be associated with MSU....then we will have accomplished something. Lofty I know. But shoot for the moon. Jeff Fisher/Missoula? When his son looked for a place to go to school, where did he go? I would bet Fisher was a fan before that happened. If the AD has the stones to ask some of those people to join him for a game, and entertain them. Someone's saying "ok" at some point. The pretty girl is never going to go out with you if you don't ask her. And not everyone has the stones to ask a model out. I think our new AD does based on what he's said so far.
I like it ... especially with the idea of starting small and building up. If there were ways to make inroads with various local celebs and ways to get them to some games, that could really turn into something cool over time (in addition to maybe even drawing more fans due to the "LA Lakers courtside" affect).

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Probably wouldn't hurt to hit up guys with NFL money like Dane Fletcher, Mike Person, etc. I know that EWU got a major portion of their ugly red field paid by Michael Roos (former Eagle in the NFL) along with Colin Cowherd. Where's Craig Kilborn- he could certainly help with an academics center? Dennis Erickson, he recommended our new AD and he has made a lot of money in his coaching career, what better way to make a splash to show that MSU hired the right AD by giving a good chunk of $ to get started!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed May 04, 2016 12:56 pm

dencat91 wrote:Ok I am excited to see the enthusiasm coming from the new AD. I do not want to be a wet blanket but what big donars are out there that have not already donated? If I won a big lotto prize, I would donate no matter Ash and Fields being there or not. I have a hard time believing that someone would donate only if those two people are done away with. Are our benefactors that petty that they think they know best. Like I said, I would donate for an indoor practice facility or to eliminate the eye sore east grandstands. Can this new AD make that much of a difference. Utah is a "12 PAC" school. Scraping up donars for there program is a lot easier just because of that. How much can we honestly expect? And I do understand that this is a multiyear project. Even at the "12 PAC" power five level.
If you don't ask....

I've been told by one booster very closely linked to MSU that he and several of his colleagues that can afford to contribute larger sums of money, that they were never asked in the past even though they had direct contact with Fields on several occasions during the year. Fund raising is a talent and perhaps not a strength of Field, but looks to be of Brennan. I won't be surprised if you see some quick successes in this area.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

CatsRback
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatsRback » Wed May 04, 2016 1:50 pm

It's a question of asking, true - and of convincing current donors to the University to give more...Over the last 10-12 years, with my company match, I've donated over $15K to my college and the alumni association...I haven't been asked this century to donate to Bobcat Athletics. If you don't live in Montana, I think the school has made no effort to get support for athletic facilities. My college, however, has had multiple events, fund raisers, tele-campaigns, etc..in my current state and has followed up very well. Maybe that's why we have new engineering and business buildings going up but no new seats/practice fields.

Would I write a check for $5,000 now for new stands, indoor practice field, etc...probably not. Could I be convinced to invest $500 to $1000 a year (which would double with my company's match) to go towards a grand plan to improve our sports facilities - SIGN ME UP! First, need a clear plan. Second, get a lot of small donors lined up right away, Finally, find a few whales to close the whole thing..

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm really looking forward to Brennan getting here and getting his plan established. Anyone got a timeline on when that could be? I really am not to familiar with how this works.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:02 pm

SonomaCat wrote:All that said, it's really hard to convince people who don't have ties as Bobcat fans to donate to athletic facilities ... it's just not the kind of thing most people would want to do unless they are, you know, us.

People with money who aren't MSU people may well want to donate to MSU academics or the arts or museums or things like that which really do provide substantial benefits to the larger community and world (and not just some minor economic boost to Bozeman and some major ego boost for us Bobcat fans).

College athletics, on the other hand, serves two purposes:

1. It's a marketing arm to attract students to a school and to elevate the stature of a school via PR; and
2. It's an ego thing for alums of the school

Raising money for sports facilities will, in most cases, need to come from people who already have a strong attachment to those athletic programs in some form.

I think that was Peter Fields thinking too

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed May 04, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm really excited to meet Brennan and hear him talk in person.

Over the years I've met Fields probably 10-15 times. I use the word "met" because the next time I see him I'll have to meet him again. I'm not a large donor in any one area but over the past 10 years I've probably given over $10k between tickets, the stadium expansion, Bobcat Club, the track upgrades, camps for my kids, fundraisers, etc. Yet every time I see Fields I have to be re-introduced and you'd think we've never met. I even spent one full day in a foursome with him at a golf event. Yet, Coach Fish, Coach Ash, Coach McEndoo, Josh Wanago, Hillary, etc, etc. all remember my name and go out of their way to be friendly when I see them.

That has always bothered me.

zootowncat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by zootowncat » Wed May 04, 2016 2:38 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I'm really excited to meet Brennan and hear him talk in person.

Over the years I've met Fields probably 10-15 times. I use the word "met" because the next time I see him I'll have to meet him again. I'm not a large donor in any one area but over the past 10 years I've probably given over $10k between tickets, the stadium expansion, Bobcat Club, the track upgrades, camps for my kids, fundraisers, etc. Yet every time I see Fields I have to be re-introduced and you'd think we've never met. I even spent one full day in a foursome with him at a golf event. Yet, Coach Fish, Coach Ash, Coach McEndoo, Josh Wanago, Hillary, etc, etc. all remember my name and go out of their way to be friendly when I see them.

I have heard this exact comment from multiple people/boosters who attend fundraisers, bobcat club, and "met" Fields many times...but every next time it is like the first time they met to him. I can't imagine having to remember all the names of people he shook hands with but at least fake it sometimes or the old "hey...man good to see you again" while your mind is racing.

FTG

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:49 pm

zootowncat wrote:

I have heard this exact comment from multiple people/boosters who attend fundraisers, bobcat club, and "met" Fields many times...but every next time it is like the first time they met to him. I can't imagine having to remember all the names of people he shook hands with but at least fake it sometimes or the old "hey...man good to see you again" while your mind is racing.
Personality was never one of Peter's strong suits.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed May 04, 2016 3:54 pm

zootowncat wrote:

True he meets a lot of people, but it is job to remember names so people will feel important and in turn be more willing to donate when the time comes. It's one thing to not remember names but Peter acts like he doesn't even want to be bothered to have to talk to anyone and has the opposite personality one needs to be an AD. His personality is one that actually stops people from donating because he acts to good to talk to people and stand offish. I bet we will be surprised how much Drennan is going to get done on the fundraising side because he is going to be a huge breath of fresh air.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

It shouldn't be too difficult. MSU is a school with a lot of pride. Anybody that has spent any time there is likely to want to be a part of contributing. They just need someone to present the opportunity of being part of something special to them.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber